hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2075 of 2098 FirstFirst ... 1075157519752025206520722073207420752076207720782085 ... LastLast
Results 41,481 to 41,500 of 41960

Thread: The Official Russian [USA Politics Thread]™

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    I hear the US middle-class average income is $450,000 these days...
    And greatly troubled with the thought that their children might have to pay taxes if they inherit more than $10M each.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    I hear the US middle-class average income is $450,000 these days...
    And greatly troubled with the thought that their children might have to pay taxes if they inherit more than $10M each.
    Actually, you can currently wangle up to neary $12M if you really work it.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Very long Politico piece on John Boehner: https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...feature-215741

WEST CHESTER, Ohio—He swings the golf club like a right-hander, which he is, but putts as a southpaw. Maybe it’s a metaphor for a conservative politician who often turned to liberals in crunch time, but I’m too busy losing $20 on this hole to appreciate it. We’re on the green now, surveying his 10-foot par attempt, a modest breeze transporting his tobacco cologne. With a posture as unique as his personality—back hunched over nearly parallel to the turf, left shoulder dipped well below the right, fingers interlocked around a grip of blue rubber—he gazes downward and shuffles his feet. The veins are still dancing in his muscular, leathery legs as the blade retreats from the ball, and it’s apparent within moments of their reunion that something isn’t right. As the Titleist Pro V1 finds its resting place, several feet shy and slightly west of its final destination, he can’t mask his frustration. “Nice one, Boner,” he mutters.

To play golf with John Boehner is to learn there are unwritten rules governing the use of the word Boner. When spoken by his close friends—“Thatta boy, Boner!”—it’s almost always to congratulate him on a good shot. When the former U.S. House speaker uses it—“Aww, Jee-sus, Boner!”—it’s almost always to rebuke himself for a bad one. Today he is saying it with ruinous frequency.
    After we eat, Boehner sits across from me, reaches for a lighter and indicates he’s ready to talk. Boehner smokes two packs a day and has a habit of pinching off the smoldering end of his cigarette, rolling the butt into a ball and shoving it into his pocket. (On the back nine a day later, Boehner stops at a receptacle and scoops from his pocket some two dozen smoke-stained balls.) Of his 11 siblings, one has passed away. It was lung cancer. Boehner says this doesn’t concern him—“If I was going to die from smoking cigarettes, I’d already be dead”—but I notice that his laughs, which come often and easy, are almost always accompanied by coughs. Ah-heh. Ah-heh.

Breaking the ice, I mention some news of the day—that Trey Gowdy appears likely to become chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. The previous chairman, Jason Chaffetz, had abruptly announced his resignation from Congress; House conservatives had hoped that Jim Jordan, a senior member on the committee, might pursue the chairmanship. Boehner grins. “Gowdy—that’s my guy, even though he doesn’t know how to dress,” he says. Then Boehner leans back in his chair. “Fuck Jordan. Fuck Chaffetz. They’re both assholes.”

And away we go.
    edit: Ooh, more juicy bits.

Even before Trump was elected, Boehner was back in the Capitol one day and visited the speaker’s office. Ryan, he says, looked at him wearily: “This job is a lot harder than I thought.” When I ask Ryan about this, he confirms the story and laughs. “And I wanted to say, ‘You ass, you stuck me with this sh—’” He stops himself. But it’s been a tough day, and the speaker needs to vent. “Just getting people to agree on how to do things that are in their own interest is hard to do. Getting people to agree, getting to consensus, on things that are basic and axiomatic, is really hard to do,” Ryan tells me. “You need more of a degree in psychology than you need in economics.” (Ryan has, however, found comfort in torturing Boehner: The speaker inherited his predecessor’s security detail, and whereas Boehner demanded they be freshly shaven every day, Ryan let them grow unruly beards—pictures of which are often texted to their former boss, code name “Tan Man.”)

The Freedom Caucus has begun to squeeze Ryan, much as it did to Boehner—warning him that without changes his tenure could be similarly endangered. And Ryan, as Boehner did, is telling friends that he’s losing patience with the job. When I tell Jordan about Boehner’s description of him—“a legislative terrorist”—and ask about whether he’s holding the speakership hostage, he flashes surprise and eventually irritation. “Oh, my goodness. I feel sorry for the guy if he’s that bitter about a guy coming here and doing what he told the voters he was gonna do. Wow. I feel bad for him,” Jordan says. “But in the end, we were not doing what the voters elected us to do and what we told them we were going to do. We just weren’t. And I would argue the same thing is happening now.”

Jordan’s veiled threat only partially explains the frustration written all over Ryan’s face when we meet: Earlier that day, after Ryan scoffed at a Democratic proposal to pass a short-term extension of the debt ceiling, Trump met with Pelosi and Democratic Senate leader Chuck Schumer and gave them exactly what they wanted. “Um, yeah, that one—yeah, that’s kind of par for the course these days,” Ryan tells me, his tie loosened and a sense of resignation in his voice. “This is a presidency that offers some surprises.” Weeks later, when I ask Boehner about Trump’s deal with the Democrats, he erupts into a cough-laugh. “My guess is that he thought he was doing everybody a favor. He had no idea he was cutting off McConnell and Ryan’s legs.”

Trump himself is less a source of apprehension for top Republicans than what he represents: a fracturing of the party and a corollary decline in its ability to govern. “We basically run a coalition government without the efficiency of a parliamentary system,” Ryan complains.

When I ask Boehner whether the Republican Party can survive this, he cuts me off. “There is no Rep—.” He stops himself. “You were about to say, ‘There is no Republican Party,” I tell him. He shrugs. “There is. But what does it even mean? Donald Trump’s not a Republican. He’s not a Democrat. He’s a populist. He doesn’t have an ideological bone in his body.” So who, I ask, is the leader of the party? “There is nobody,” he says.

I ask Boehner what he thinks historians will make of his speakership. “They’ll be talking about the end of the two-party system,” he replies.
    Last edited by Nordstern; November 4 2017 at 08:00:43 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Trumps EPA advisor "Modern air is a little too clean for optimum health"

http://www.newsweek.com/robert-phale...o-clean-700143

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

I ask Boehner what he thinks historians will make of his speakership. “They’ll be talking about the end of the two-party system,” he replies.
    See, sometimes people you thought were insufferable douchebags reveal that they do live on the same planet as reality.

I wonder what Ted Cruz really thinks, the guy is slimy as hell, but he isnt dumb.

Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

See, sometimes people you thought were insufferable douchebags reveal that they do live on the same planet as reality.

I wonder what Ted Cruz really thinks, the guy is slimy as hell, but he isnt dumb.
    Just fantasizing about his glory days of '68-'69 in the bay area

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Looks like Moscow Misha is next.

WASHINGTON — Federal investigators have gathered enough evidence to bring charges in their investigation of President Donald Trump's former national security adviser and his son as part of the probe into Russia's intervention in the 2016 election, according to multiple sources familiar with the investigation.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...gation-n817666

Remember how weirdly concerned that Trump was about Flynn, considering that Flynn isn't Donald Trump?

It'll be fascinating to find out why.
    I love Malcanis!

Huge new offshore financial leak shows Wilbur Ross is doing business with Vlad's son in law despite sanctions.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...aradise-papers

Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    Huge new offshore financial leak shows Wilbur Ross is doing business with Vlad's son in law despite sanctions.

Im sure they would never use those ties as bribes. Way to "good people".

Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post

Beat me, i was going to post the same thing. This gonna be good. Lets hope Mueller can use some of the things to get another brick in the wall.

What’s this about Trump warning Mueller not to look at financials a few days back ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    MFW the story about Trumps EPA advisor gets drowned in other stuff because there are literally more batshit things going on that warrants more attention. Imagine what headlines would have come out of that alone if any other earlier presidents advisor had said something insane like that.

Last edited by helgur; November 5 2017 at 10:38:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    MFW the story about Trumps EPA advisor gets drowned in other stuff because there are literally more batshit things going on that warrants more attention. Imagine what headlines would have come out of that alone if any other earlier presidents advisor had said something insane like that.

Well we are in the most retarded timeline.
    I love Malcanis!

We're a little busy watching the Trump legacy get pissed on to care what Trump appointees say. TBH we just assume whatever mouth noises they make is something stupid at this point.

Capitalism works! Remember everyone, the rich are entitled to their money, and we should all be grateful for the beneficence they show us by investing their wealth and creating jobs for us. If we gave them the tax cuts they deserve, they wouldn't have to hide their money overseas. It'd be back here at home, creating even more of the great jobs like the ones you're currently enjoying. Haven't you heard how well the market is doing, especially now that a real businessman is in charge? Unemployment is at its lowest level in a decade, and productivity is through the roof. If you can't afford your lifestyle, maybe it's your fault.

(As an aside, it's quite sad that we had to have another massacre today. All this stuff is going to get buried while people do the gun thing again.)
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; November 6 2017 at 12:41:38 AM.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Capitalism works! Remember everyone, the rich are entitled to their money, and we should all be grateful for the beneficence they show us by investing their wealth and creating jobs for us. If we gave them the tax cuts they deserve, they wouldn't have to hide their money overseas. It'd be back here at home, creating even more of the great jobs like the ones you're currently enjoying. Haven't you heard how well the market is doing, especially now that a real businessman is in charge? Unemployment is at its lowest level in a decade, and productivity is through the roof. If you can't afford your lifestyle, maybe it's your fault.
    If we fill the cup of the wealthy just a little more, surely some of it will spill over and reach us.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

(As an aside, it's quite sad that we had to have another massacre today. All this stuff is going to get buried while people do the gun thing again.)
    Don't really understand 'the gun thing' anymore.. I mean nothing is going to change, people will continue to be mass murdered by idiots..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

Well we are in the most retarded timeline.
    i like Chapo Trap House's take on it to be honest, we're in the zone where you know something is wrong, something is off and nothing really works quite the way you'd expect but you can't quite put your finger on it until it blows up in your face.

If we fill the cup of the wealthy just a little more, surely some of it will spill over and reach us.
    the problem is that the cup has a black hole in the bottom and any perceived overspill is caused by using a fire-hose to fill it, only the water pressure keeps on gradually dropping off...
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.