hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2163 of 2712 FirstFirst ... 1163166320632113215321602161216221632164216521662173221322632663 ... LastLast
Results 43,241 to 43,260 of 54237

Thread: USA Politics Thread

  1. #43241
    Timaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    UN is a farce tho

    They havent prevented wars that they could even though it's their primary job to do so
    That's not their job... Their job is to give all countries of the world a place to bitch about the US in a public supporting environment.

    Seriously though it's about talking and hoping that talking will prevent wars. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
    The UN is inherently flawed thanks to the 'great powers' having permanent veto power on the security council.
    Yes. But on the other hand, if they had no veto, all the decisions of the security council would just be ignored. Now, at least, when the SC is unanimous, the decisions are upheld by all parties.

    Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

  2. #43242

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    UN is a farce tho

    They havent prevented wars that they could even though it's their primary job to do so
    That's not their job... Their job is to give all countries of the world a place to bitch about the US in a public supporting environment.

    Seriously though it's about talking and hoping that talking will prevent wars. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
    The UN is inherently flawed thanks to the 'great powers' having permanent veto power on the security council.
    Yes. But on the other hand, if they had no veto, all the decisions of the security council would just be ignored. Now, at least, when the SC is unanimous, the decisions are upheld by all parties.
    And giving the vetos was the only way to get them aboard. Far from perfect but the alternative was probably worse.

    The current global politics seems to currently revolve around both US and UK going "I bet you others can't live without us, we are great powers! We say jump you jump!"

  3. #43243
    Movember 2012 I Legionnaire's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,725

  4. #43244
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,392

  5. #43245

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    10,041
    Inb4 FoxNews puts up a photo of a black baby instead and reprints the article unironically.

  6. #43246
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,869
    You love Texas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

  7. #43247
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,470
    Yeah, but -

    ungrateful, yowling, diapered maniacs who don’t even use language right.
    - that segue about Trump near the end there was a little odd.

    ba-dum-tish

  8. #43248
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    29,748
    I think it's satire, guise.

  9. #43249
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,940
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    I think it's satire, guise.
    The post or trump in general?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  10. #43250
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,470
    Price of 40-year-old cancer drug hiked 1,400% by new owners

    • Lomustine - used to treat brain tumors and Hodgkin's lymphoma - was developed back in 1976
    • Though it is no longer protected by patents, there is no alternative, generic version available
    • Lomustine was sold by Bristol-Myers Squib for years under the brand name CeeNU at a price of about $50 a capsule for the highest dose
    • Bristol-Myers Squib sold Lomustine in 2013, to a little-known Miami startup called NextSource
    • NextSource proceeded to hike lomustine's price NINE times since purchasing it
    • That $50 pill now costs about $768
    • When confronted, NextSource CEO Robert DiCrisci explained only that NextSource sets its prices based on the costs it incurred in developing the medication ...
    • ... and the benefits it provides patients.
    Last edited by Sparq; December 28 2017 at 10:08:55 AM.

  11. #43251
    Omega Supreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Price of 40-year-old cancer drug hiked 1,400% by new owners

    • Lomustine - used to treat brain tumors and Hodgkin's lymphoma - was developed back in 1976
    • Though it is no longer protected by patents, there is no alternative, generic version available
    • Lomustine was sold by Bristol-Myers Squib for years under the brand name CeeNU at a price of about $50 a capsule for the highest dose
    • Bristol-Myers Squib sold Lomustine in 2013, to a little-known Miami startup called NextSource
    • NextSource proceeded to hike lomustine's price NINE times since purchasing it
    • That $50 pill now costs about $768
    • When confronted, NextSource CEO Robert DiCrisci explained only that NextSource sets its prices based on the costs it incurred in developing the medication ...
    • ... and the benefits it provides patients.
    Relevant. Somebody didn't do their reading it seems.


  12. #43252
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    12,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Price of 40-year-old cancer drug hiked 1,400% by new owners

    • Lomustine - used to treat brain tumors and Hodgkin's lymphoma - was developed back in 1976
    • Though it is no longer protected by patents, there is no alternative, generic version available
    • Lomustine was sold by Bristol-Myers Squib for years under the brand name CeeNU at a price of about $50 a capsule for the highest dose
    • Bristol-Myers Squib sold Lomustine in 2013, to a little-known Miami startup called NextSource
    • NextSource proceeded to hike lomustine's price NINE times since purchasing it
    • That $50 pill now costs about $768
    • When confronted, NextSource CEO Robert DiCrisci explained only that NextSource sets its prices based on the costs it incurred in developing the medication ...
    • ... and the benefits it provides patients.
    Relevant. Somebody didn't do their reading it seems.

    and who paid for the baseline research that led to that supposed miracle drug ?

    oh, you mean the government did as what actually happened was the initial research that indicated there's something there, something viable, was done at some university or other, on the public dime, and you hired the people doing said research in order to turn it into a product. thus getting anywhere between half-the-work-done to "we just need to submit the FDA applications" handed to you, on a fucking platter ?

    it's also not related to the actual linked article in any way, shape or form but then shitty arguments like yours never are, NextSource are just plain price-gouging because they can. Adding further weight to the argument that this shit should not be in private hands in the first place because the bad-outcomes like this massively outweigh the good outcomes and the majority of the work is done off the back of the government anyway.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  13. #43253

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,158
    but but murican universities don't do the research on public dimes, nickels nor dollars!

  14. #43254
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    SVN
    Posts
    9,066

    Careful not head hit on rock!
    laughs in Slovenian

  15. #43255
    Omega Supreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Price of 40-year-old cancer drug hiked 1,400% by new owners

    • Lomustine - used to treat brain tumors and Hodgkin's lymphoma - was developed back in 1976
    • Though it is no longer protected by patents, there is no alternative, generic version available
    • Lomustine was sold by Bristol-Myers Squib for years under the brand name CeeNU at a price of about $50 a capsule for the highest dose
    • Bristol-Myers Squib sold Lomustine in 2013, to a little-known Miami startup called NextSource
    • NextSource proceeded to hike lomustine's price NINE times since purchasing it
    • That $50 pill now costs about $768
    • When confronted, NextSource CEO Robert DiCrisci explained only that NextSource sets its prices based on the costs it incurred in developing the medication ...
    • ... and the benefits it provides patients.
    Relevant. Somebody didn't do their reading it seems.

    and who paid for the baseline research that led to that supposed miracle drug ?

    oh, you mean the government did as what actually happened was the initial research that indicated there's something there, something viable, was done at some university or other, on the public dime, and you hired the people doing said research in order to turn it into a product. thus getting anywhere between half-the-work-done to "we just need to submit the FDA applications" handed to you, on a fucking platter ?

    it's also not related to the actual linked article in any way, shape or form but then shitty arguments like yours never are, NextSource are just plain price-gouging because they can. Adding further weight to the argument that this shit should not be in private hands in the first place because the bad-outcomes like this massively outweigh the good outcomes and the majority of the work is done off the back of the government anyway.
    You know I was quoting Jurassic Park, and the character in question is very much an unethical Walt Disney (if that's not two of the same thing given perceptions of Disney hating Jews...) observing why he wouldn't help mankind and instead makes private industry, right?

    If anything, it's (given it was written in the 80s and set in 1985-9) an example of why Big Pharma hates the government. They want to be able to force sick people to pay $2000+ for a single dose of medicine.

    The price gouging dudes didn't do their research by reading that passage and it explaining exactly why you don't try to pull that sort of shit. Skreli got his shit kicked in for pulling that with EpiPens. FIrst he got shitkicked by the government, now he's gonna get shit stabbed by his new husband in jail.

  16. #43256
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,470
    ak-choo-hally,

    Pharma Bro did the dirty on Daraprim (and quite probably Thiola, before it) the EpiPen fiasco was the work of entirely different collective of toilet escapees, a business called Mylan.
    Last edited by Sparq; December 28 2017 at 01:31:40 PM.

  17. #43257
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    13,412
    Lomustine - used to treat brain tumors and Hodgkin's lymphoma - was developed back in 1976
    and who paid for the baseline research that led to that supposed miracle drug ?

    oh, you mean the government did as what actually happened was the initial research that indicated there's something there, something viable, was done at some university or other, on the public dime, and you hired the people doing said research in order to turn it into a product. thus getting anywhere between half-the-work-done to "we just need to submit the FDA applications" handed to you, on a fucking platter ?
    Can you support this claim with a link or source?

    NextSource are just plain price-gouging because they can.
    It certainly looks that way.


  18. #43258
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    12,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Lomustine - used to treat brain tumors and Hodgkin's lymphoma - was developed back in 1976
    and who paid for the baseline research that led to that supposed miracle drug ?

    oh, you mean the government did as what actually happened was the initial research that indicated there's something there, something viable, was done at some university or other, on the public dime, and you hired the people doing said research in order to turn it into a product. thus getting anywhere between half-the-work-done to "we just need to submit the FDA applications" handed to you, on a fucking platter ?
    Can you support this claim with a link or source?

    NextSource are just plain price-gouging because they can.
    It certainly looks that way.
    here, things the article doesn't mention include A : the US is falling behind the EU and China on funding basic research, ie the stuff that doesn't lead directly to a marketable product. B: the US has historically lagged the rest of the western world in this field.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  19. #43259
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    10,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Lomustine - used to treat brain tumors and Hodgkin's lymphoma - was developed back in 1976
    and who paid for the baseline research that led to that supposed miracle drug ?

    oh, you mean the government did as what actually happened was the initial research that indicated there's something there, something viable, was done at some university or other, on the public dime, and you hired the people doing said research in order to turn it into a product. thus getting anywhere between half-the-work-done to "we just need to submit the FDA applications" handed to you, on a fucking platter ?
    Can you support this claim with a link or source?

    NextSource are just plain price-gouging because they can.
    It certainly looks that way.
    here
    Yes. Because there are no other sources of research dollars, at all. The government paying for less than 50% of the research dollar isn't necessarily a bad thing as you imply. Anyway, the actual figures are documented here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

    things the article doesn't mention include A : the US is falling behind the EU and China on funding basic research, ie the stuff that doesn't lead directly to a marketable product. B: the US has historically lagged the rest of the western world in this field.
    I would expect there to be massive expenditures when you are so far behind...

    B is complete bullshit, the world economy and the fact only one country has put a man on the moon prove it.
    meh

  20. #43260
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    13,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Lomustine - used to treat brain tumors and Hodgkin's lymphoma - was developed back in 1976
    and who paid for the baseline research that led to that supposed miracle drug ?

    oh, you mean the government did as what actually happened was the initial research that indicated there's something there, something viable, was done at some university or other, on the public dime, and you hired the people doing said research in order to turn it into a product. thus getting anywhere between half-the-work-done to "we just need to submit the FDA applications" handed to you, on a fucking platter ?
    Can you support this claim with a link or source?

    NextSource are just plain price-gouging because they can.
    It certainly looks that way.
    here, things the article doesn't mention include A : the US is falling behind the EU and China on funding basic research, ie the stuff that doesn't lead directly to a marketable product. B: the US has historically lagged the rest of the western world in this field.
    Thank you, I'll take a look. Appreciated.

    EDIT: I'm sorry, perhaps I should have been more specific. I was looking for a source to confirm that Lomustine was developed by the Government or Government funded research. The link does not appear to have that information (unless I missed it of course).
    Last edited by Alistair; December 28 2017 at 02:11:05 PM.


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •