hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2151 of 2715 FirstFirst ... 1151165120512101214121482149215021512152215321542161220122512651 ... LastLast
Results 43,001 to 43,020 of 54285

Thread: USA Politics Thread

I am pleased that my tax burden will go down by ~5-6% the next half decade.

I am not pleased that Net Neutrality was overturned.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Does NoVA not have the sort of high local taxes that are going to get screwed by this? My folks live in Montgomery Co, MD, and they might well end up paying more in taxes because they can no longer deduct (as much of) what they pay the state and county.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post

Does NoVA not have the sort of high local taxes that are going to get screwed by this? My folks live in Montgomery Co, MD, and they might well end up paying more in taxes because they can no longer deduct (as much of) what they pay the state and county.
    NoVA has some relatively high property tax rates, yes. We also pay somewhat high sales tax I believe. I don't believe our income tax is overly high, but honestly I do not know where we rank in the 50 states on that. Local taxes (of all types) can still be deducted up to $10,000 a year under the new system.

The rough numbers I've looked at indicate that the changes will be a net positive of ~5%, give or take, in year one and not require me to itemize. The doubling of the standard deduction certainly makes itemization less needed, especially if you only have a few items worth itemizing.

What I'll miss though is my tax return. I set my taxes up with no deductions, not even myself, so I'd effectively overpay every period, so I could get a large tax return come tax time. Call it a state managed savings plan, lol. With deductions removed from the system, that option is out, so I'll see more each period, but no nice big return come tax time.
    Last edited by Alistair; December 20 2017 at 05:40:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I thought you get taxed less now? All of you nerds are focusing on the so called 1%. Who gives a fuck they will stay rich even with 50% tax on all of their income

Because that money is coming out of the national budget as deficit

Edit: Wow
    Last edited by OrangeAfroMan; December 20 2017 at 06:42:17 PM.
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

The current U.S. National Debt is 20 Trillion+ according to http://www.usdebtclock.org/

From 2008 to 2016 it rose from ~12 Trillion to ~20 Trillion. The previous administration was just about the same.

This Tax Bill could potentially add ~1.5 Trillion to that over ten years ($150 Billion/year), if the economy grows at 1.9% or less (I believe was the number the CBO used in it's calculations to reach the 1.5 trillion increase number).

If the economy grows at higher rates, less debt will be added to the total.

We could definitely have a 3% economy. Or a .3% economy.

Or a recession. With all the deregulation though Iím sure nothing bad will happen.

Or Dís take back the reign and the GOP runs in opposition for eight years. Bitches about how a good thing was killed and the cycle repeats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massive tax cuts worked in Kansas... oh wait
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

The current U.S. National Debt is 20 Trillion+ according to http://www.usdebtclock.org/

From 2008 to 2016 it rose from ~12 Trillion to ~20 Trillion. The previous administration was just about the same.

This Tax Bill could potentially add ~1.5 Trillion to that over ten years ($150 Billion/year), if the economy grows at 1.9% or less (I believe was the number the CBO used in it's calculations to reach the 1.5 trillion increase number).

Do I need to dive into the Chartalist explanation for why the deficit is a red herring?

Even states that run budget surpluses continue to issue public debt, because "the market" acts like a spoiled infant when you try to take the magic money tree away and give it to other people.

The concept of the national debt exists solely for the sake of enabling politicians to say "we can't afford this" when the people demand social programs. Better to think of the national debt as fiat currency created and then given away to the rich, by the rich. Because the United States is an oligarchy, and it has been since the Revolution.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; December 20 2017 at 08:21:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Massive tax cuts worked in Kansas... oh wait
    Worked so well for Bush we could afford a 'Authorizations for the Use of Military Force.'

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

Do I need to dive into the Chartalist explanation for why the deficit is a red herring?

Even states that run budget surpluses continue to issue public debt, because "the market" acts like a spoiled infant when you try to take the magic money tree away and give it to other people.

The concept of the national debt exists solely for the sake of enabling politicians to say "we can't afford this" when the people demand social programs. Better to think of the national debt as fiat currency created and then given away to the rich, by the rich. Because the United States is an oligarchy, and it has been since the Revolution.
    I agree.

Huzzah, we have an accord!

Alistair agrees with a lefty about a heterodox economic position! Where's the bubbly?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Huzzah, we have an accord!

Alistair agrees with a lefty about a heterodox economic position! Where's the bubbly?
    We'd be pretty sloshed 24/7 if that was an occasion to celebrate.

Really? I don't think I've ever seen him be anything but a pretty bog-standard orthodox liberal.

Looks like the investigations and negative press are finally taking their toll:

1% higher approval ratings than trump though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Only being 1% above a sitting and highly incompetent president is hardly a resounding recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Only being 1% above a sitting and highly incompetent president is hardly a resounding recommendation.
    Hopefully they will see the light and not try and force her on to everyone next time then.. Didn't she 'win the popular vote' but like 1% as well? so shes basically kept in step with Trump's popularity slide.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

What has she done in the last year?
    As far as a quick google tells me, she's done the publicity rounds pushing her memoirs and been in some twitter fights.

Trump on the other hand claims to have been running the bestest Presidency, let me tell you, it's been tremendous.
    Yet he has lower approval ratings?

Clearly a communist plot by the Jews MSM.

I'm beginning to think Hilary will run again.

The dnc are out if ideas. She's done the book tour, next someone will float the idea in the media, we'll have the denial, then maybe some comments on the selection process. After that there'll be some radio silence, the odd editorial will start mentioning her, the donors will gather round and money will start moving. Once it gathers momentum it won't stop, the dnc will want Hillary again, she'll have the money to buy the cash strapped dnc. There won't be much choice.

#itsherturn
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.