hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2190 of 2360 FirstFirst ... 119016902090214021802187218821892190219121922193220022402290 ... LastLast
Results 43,781 to 43,800 of 47195

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    In my defense, I think you get a VERY different feel re: both side do X, when you live here, live in DC, and you listen to political radio (left and right and center) and read political reporting as much as I do.

When you are hearing these elected officials talk as much as I hear them, you simply cannot miss the both sides doing it inconsistent, politics-of-the-moment aspect of which I am constantly annoyed/unhappy.

From afar, certainly from Europe, where you have vastly less audio coverage (and I'm going to bet most of you are not spending your days listening to US House members talk on radio) and generally rely on major media reporting to determine whats what, I can see why you'd think me a nut. Be hip deep in it every day, and you might see what I see better. /shrug. Or you might not, folks tend to forgive their own "side" many of their sins, that's human nature in politics.

In any event, yes, I'd say this forum has shifted me slightly leftwards. I think that's fair.

But it's also shown something I know from my rather large collection of history texts.....the left's favorite passtime is self-destructive eating of itself and it's own. Rather than cultivate an obvious American moderate like myself, it's far more fun for FHC's lefties and reds to find those things (often rather small and meaningless tbqh) where disagreement exists, so I can be attacked. Yep, thats a great way to get folks to agree with your side on an issue, call them retarded (or better yet, racist) and denounce them, even if you may actually agree in the meat of policy 70%, 85% or even more. Will fall on deaf ears of course, but no worries.
    Such as?
    On the last couple of pages you have several different people willfully misrepresenting Alistair's words to paint him into some non-existent ideological extreme: Alistair says he thinks it's irresponsible of people in poor economic situations to have multiple kids knowing that they cannot afford to raise them, as well as they would deserve. FHC posters read that as: Alistair wants to prevent poors from reproducing.
    There's a difference between this and our running FYP, FTFY posting gags.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

nerds need a strawman in their life

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    russians need a strawman in their life
    fyp

Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    On the last couple of pages you have several different people willfully misrepresenting Alistair's words to paint him into some non-existent ideological extreme: Alistair says he thinks it's irresponsible of people in poor economic situations to have multiple kids knowing that they cannot afford to raise them, as well as they would deserve. FHC posters read that as: Alistair wants to prevent poors from reproducing.
    No, people are saying that because that's exactly the sort of shit he said multiple times in very harsh tones in the past and nobody's buying his toned down bs because he always does that when backpedaling to appear as a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    No, people are saying that because that's exactly the sort of shit he said multiple times in very harsh tones in the past and nobody's buying his toned down bs because he always does that when backpedaling to appear as a victim.
    And I'm pointing out that in this specific instance, people are being unfair to someone, who is by all appearance honestly trying to have a discussion.

You can keep jumping down his throat for things he's said in the past, like you expect everyone's opinions to remain unchanged, despite obvious evidence of the opposite.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    https://www.newyorker.com/humor/dail...ice-department

L.P.D.: Libertarian Police Department

I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.
    “Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”
    “What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”
    “Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”
    The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”
    “Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”
    “Easy, chief,” I said. “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”
    He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”
    “Don’t worry,” I said. “I’m on it.”
    I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.
    “Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.
    “Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.
    “Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”
    It didn’t seem like they did.
    “Seriously, guys. Without a strong economic motivator, I’m just going to stand here and not solve this case. Cash is fine, but I prefer being paid in gold bullion or autographed Penn Jillette posters.”
    Nothing. These people were stonewalling me. It almost seemed like they didn’t care that a fortune in computer money invented to buy drugs was missing.
    I figured I could wait them out. I lit several cigarettes indoors. A pregnant lady coughed, and I told her that secondhand smoke is a myth. Just then, a man in glasses made a break for it.
    “Subway™ Eat Fresh and Freeze, Scumbag!®” I yelled.
    Too late. He was already out the front door. I went after him.
    “Stop right there!” I yelled as I ran. He was faster than me because I always try to avoid stepping on public sidewalks. Our country needs a private-sidewalk voucher system, but, thanks to the incestuous interplay between our corrupt federal government and the public-sidewalk lobby, it will never happen.
    I was losing him. “Listen, I’ll pay you to stop!” I yelled. “What would you consider an appropriate price point for stopping? I’ll offer you a thirteenth of an ounce of gold and a gently worn ‘Bob Barr ‘08’ extra-large long-sleeved men’s T-shirt!”
    He turned. In his hand was a revolver that the Constitution said he had every right to own. He fired at me and missed. I pulled my own gun, put a quarter in it, and fired back. The bullet lodged in a U.S.P.S. mailbox less than a foot from his head. I shot the mailbox again, on purpose.
    “All right, all right!” the man yelled, throwing down his weapon. “I give up, cop! I confess: I took the bitcoins.”
    “Why’d you do it?” I asked, as I slapped a pair of Oikos™ Greek Yogurt Presents Handcuffs® on the guy.
    “Because I was afraid.”
    “Afraid?”
    “Afraid of an economic future free from the pernicious meddling of central bankers,” he said. “I’m a central banker.”
    I wanted to coldcock the guy. Years ago, a central banker killed my partner. Instead, I shook my head.
    “Let this be a message to all your central-banker friends out on the street,” I said. “No matter how many bitcoins you steal, you’ll never take away the dream of an open society based on the principles of personal and economic freedom.”
    He nodded, because he knew I was right. Then he swiped his credit card to pay me for arresting him.
    I swear FHC has at least one rabid libertarian moron, speak up nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post

why are you like this Smarnca

what went wrong with your upbringing

In my defense, I think you get a VERY different feel re: both side do X, when you live here, live in DC, and you listen to political radio (left and right and center) and read political reporting as much as I do.

When you are hearing these elected officials talk as much as I hear them, you simply cannot miss the both sides doing it inconsistent, politics-of-the-moment aspect of which I am constantly annoyed/unhappy.

From afar, certainly from Europe, where you have vastly less audio coverage (and I'm going to bet most of you are not spending your days listening to US House members talk on radio) and generally rely on major media reporting to determine whats what, I can see why you'd think me a nut. Be hip deep in it every day, and you might see what I see better. /shrug. Or you might not, folks tend to forgive their own "side" many of their sins, that's human nature in politics.

In any event, yes, I'd say this forum has shifted me slightly leftwards. I think that's fair.

But it's also shown something I know from my rather large collection of history texts.....the left's favorite passtime is self-destructive eating of itself and it's own. Rather than cultivate an obvious American moderate like myself, it's far more fun for FHC's lefties and reds to find those things (often rather small and meaningless tbqh) where disagreement exists, so I can be attacked. Yep, thats a great way to get folks to agree with your side on an issue, call them retarded (or better yet, racist) and denounce them, even if you may actually agree in the meat of policy 70%, 85% or even more. Will fall on deaf ears of course, but no worries.
    Such as?
    He's on record in this forum - in fact I think it was in this very thread - as advocating that the state remove children from poor families rather than make welfare payments to their parents. As far as I know he's never walked that back. In light of that position, I think you might want to choose a different example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Such as?
    He's on record in this forum - in fact I think it was in this very thread - as advocating that the state remove children from poor families rather than make welfare payments to their parents. As far as I know he's never walked that back. In light of that position, I think you might want to choose a different example.
    Sure, I'm not white knighting Alistair for his sake or anything, but just pointing out that when he does say something different, some people like to keep shouting. I see plenty of that elsewhere on the internet and consider it just as poisonous to society, as the statement in your example.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    The guns back to front.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    The guns back to front.
    Russian mgs feed right to left
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Sure, I'm not white knighting Alistair for his sake or anything, but just pointing out that when he does say something different, some people like to keep shouting. I see plenty of that elsewhere on the internet and consider it just as poisonous to society, as the statement in your example.
    You're literally saying that calling out evil, destructive, counter-productive ideas is "just as poisonous" as advocating them.
    I love Malcanis!

You're literally saying that calling out evil, destructive, counter-productive ideas is "just as poisonous" as advocating them.
    I think characterizing the usual attacks on Ali as merely 'calling out bad ideas' is being really fucking generous. Most of them come with a heavy dose of unnecessary insults and straw men.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post

I think characterizing the usual attacks on Ali as merely 'calling out bad ideas' is being really fucking generous. Most of them come with a heavy dose of unnecessary insults and straw men.
    As he sows, so does he reap.
    I love Malcanis!

Such as?
    I was saying that the State, right now, in the U.S., DOES take away kids from parents who cannot support them. That's not saying I want all poors kids taken from them ffs.

The vast majority of poor folks do their very best and should never, ever, face such a thing. But some are shit, through any combination of factors, and be fucked if you think shitty abusive negligent parents don't warrant the States intervention to protect those children.

This time, please do us both a favor and save the angry "kill yourself" rhetoric if you please. I know the rules here, such that they are, don't apply to you, but hopefully basic human decency will prevail....this time.

As he sows, so does he reap.
    As do we all, mate.
    The ignore user feature is the greatest single asset this forum offers. Use it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk