hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2199 of 2365 FirstFirst ... 119916992099214921892196219721982199220022012202220922492299 ... LastLast
Results 43,961 to 43,980 of 47289

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    DO IT AGAIN BOMBER HARRIS

Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

It's cute that he's talking in the future sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    That map is both scare and incredible.. What a crock of bs
    I'd like to see something akin to the (I believe) German system replace ours for House seats.

1. Logical and normal shaped districts.

2. Two Votes, one for an individual, one for a Party. Sie haben zu stimmen.

Half the states Reps voted in by individual, half voted in by Party (and selected by the Party).

If only....
    Yeah, the system is not bad all things considered. Half the seats are First-past-the-post, the rest are party-list proportional representation. Usually a lot of the direct candidates are also on the party lists, so the number isn't too large.

It would probably be the easiest system to switch to from pure First-past-the-post systems as it keeps the direct connection between a candidate and his/her constituents. Which is a pretty neat feature tbh.

"Sie haben zu stimmen." translates to "You have to tune." abstimmen is vote. The effort is appreciated.
    You know whats really funny. The phrase I used came directly, verbatim, from a Uni-level Comparative Government textbook I have. Lol.

And yes, I really like (what I know of) the German system (as you describe it). I think it'd be a great improvement on what we do here.
    Most voting systems have their drawbacks. One particularity of ours is the Überhangmandat - basically, the percentages in our parliament are based on the list votes, not the direct ones. If there is too much between list and direct percentages, extra seats get doled out. Thanks to how this is handled, it is possible for votes to carry negative weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Sasko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    That map is both scare and incredible.. What a crock of bs
    I'd like to see something akin to the (I believe) German system replace ours for House seats.

1. Logical and normal shaped districts.

2. Two Votes, one for an individual, one for a Party. Sie haben zu stimmen.

Half the states Reps voted in by individual, half voted in by Party (and selected by the Party).

If only....
    Yeah, the system is not bad all things considered. Half the seats are First-past-the-post, the rest are party-list proportional representation. Usually a lot of the direct candidates are also on the party lists, so the number isn't too large.

It would probably be the easiest system to switch to from pure First-past-the-post systems as it keeps the direct connection between a candidate and his/her constituents. Which is a pretty neat feature tbh.

"Sie haben zu stimmen." translates to "You have to tune." abstimmen is vote. The effort is appreciated.
    You know whats really funny. The phrase I used came directly, verbatim, from a Uni-level Comparative Government textbook I have. Lol.

And yes, I really like (what I know of) the German system (as you describe it). I think it'd be a great improvement on what we do here.
    Most voting systems have their drawbacks. One particularity of ours is the Überhangmandat - basically, the percentages in our parliament are based on the list votes, not the direct ones. If there is too much between list and direct percentages, extra seats get doled out. Thanks to how this is handled, it is possible for votes to carry negative weight.
    Except that the negative weight due to Überhangmandate was killed off effectively by the introduction of Ausgleichsmandate which puts the numbers back into the percentages of the list vote.

See https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9C...ungswidrigkeit

In English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overha...overhang_seats
    We went from option one to option four.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    It's cute that he's talking in the future sense.
    There is no spectacle, there is no unreality. CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    She probably had threesomes with the obamas too !!!!

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    but then she's not a lesbian because Michelle Obama is a man

:INFOWARS:

Why would anyone expect anything less?

Personally, I'm shocked it's not about her being a Reptilian Shadow Agent.
    The ignore user feature is the greatest single asset this forum offers. Use it well.

Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    <German Mode engage>

According to the Duden (German Mode book for German language), stimmen can be used as vote, so it's the best kind of correct.

https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/stimmen

Da gugschd, wa?

<German Mode disengage>
    @theBlind: Schon, aber "Sie haben zu stimmen" ist grammatikalisch falsch, wenn der Kontext um eine Abstimmung geht. Dann sollte es "Sie haben abzustimmen" sein. Ich schätze aber mal, es ist ein Rechtschreibfehler (siehe unten).

@Alistair: see how in "Sie haben 2 Stimmen" the "Stimmen" is capitalized? That is because it is a noun, which are always capitalized in German. So if you were referring to the voting card, you should have written "Sie haben 2 Stimmen."
    ... with the later translating to "You've got 2 votes". Just to make that clear.

[Added]
    To add some useful content: the split-vote thing we're doing here is probably not what makes the difference. It's the representitive nature of the (party) list voting ("Zweitstimme"). That way minority views are also represented in the parliament ... which led us to the situation right now in Germany, where th parties have a hard time forming a goverment, because the way the votes are split between the parties, it's not possible to form a majority coalition (which satisfifies the German urge for stability).

Ironically right now in Germany a couple of politicans (and political journalists) somehow yearningly glance over to i.e. the U.K. or the U.S., where the voting system ("first past the pole") more or less guarantees a clear election outcome.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; January 11 2018 at 03:25:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    <German Mode engage>

According to the Duden (German Mode book for German language), stimmen can be used as vote, so it's the best kind of correct.

Da gugschd, wa?

<German Mode disengage>
    @theBlind: Schon, aber "Sie haben zu stimmen" ist grammatikalisch falsch, wenn der Kontext um eine Abstimmung geht. Dann sollte es "Sie haben abzustimmen" sein. Ich schätze aber mal, es ist ein Rechtschreibfehler (siehe unten).

@Alistair: see how in "Sie haben 2 Stimmen" the "Stimmen" is capitalized? That is because it is a noun, which are always capitalized in German. So if you were referring to the voting card, you should have written "Sie haben 2 Stimmen."
    ... with the later translating to "You've got 2 votes". Just to make that clear.
    I like how Alistair is trying to argue about German language with a German schoolteacher.

Ironically right now in Germany a couple of politicans (and political journalists) somehow yearningly glance over to i.e. the U.K. or the U.S., where the voting system ("first past the pole") more or less guarantees a clear election outcome.
    We came quite close to implementing something identical to this as "AV+" a little while back. Other than the westminster parliament and local councils most of our other major elections are already like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    <German Mode engage>

Da gugschd, wa?

<German Mode disengage>

I like how Alistair is trying to argue about German language with a German schoolteacher.
    Dude. I doubt Joe thinks I was arguing by telling him where I got the original phrase. Stop stirring shit for no reason, I know that's your thing and gets you off, but stop ruining a decent discussion.

Thanks again Joe, much appreciated. I still prefer your 2-vote system to our House District system.
    The ignore user feature is the greatest single asset this forum offers. Use it well.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    but then she's not a lesbian because Michelle Obama is a man

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-call-of-duty

Smarnca will suck this mans dick for free

Get access to this story, and every story, on the web and in our apps. Try 4 weeks for $1, then just $6/4 weeks after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post

Get access to this story, and every story, on the web and in our apps. Try 4 weeks for $1, then just $6/4 weeks after that.
    Smarnca in "literally too stupid to use adblock properly" non-shock

You're paying for news which then feed you youtube videos made by randoms?

You're paying for news which then feed you youtube videos made by randoms?
    Those are all english words, well done.

Now you just need to work on making a coherent sentence with them