hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 594 of 1942 FirstFirst ... 9449454458459159259359459559659760464469410941594 ... LastLast
Results 11,861 to 11,880 of 38838

Thread: The Questionably Fascist [USA Politics Thread]™

Ahahahahaha that dudes face is so damn funny, trying not to tell that lady she's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ValorousBob View Post
    Ahahahahaha that dudes face is so damn funny, trying not to tell that lady she's stupid.
    Not so much stupid, is what I thought, but trying not to tell her that what she was saying was, actually, very racist.

edit: which was my point before: racism, in the US (especially), is so common, widespread, and institutional (not just) among the white population that, sometimes, they just don't recognise or notice it any more. Take that silly bat. I'm convinced that, still, to this day, she doesn't think she said anything wrong or racist. That it's all 'political correctness' etc. Or some other bullshit excuse. But it isn't. And there is no excuse. But it basically takes an outsider (i.e., outside the bubble, could be 'Merican as well) to point that out. And it is sad, because it used to be that it stayed below the surface (somewhat). But now, with Trump basically doing the same while running for the country's highest office, it has basically been brought out in the open. And that is pretty scary. The same is happening in the UK (and France, etc.) with UKIP/Brexit (or Front National, etc.), BTW.
    Last edited by Bartholomeus Crane; September 22 2016 at 10:47:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Speaking of that, am I the only one that noticed that Trump finally made a statement sympathetic to blacks only when a black, and a woman, cop shot?
    That's subtle in Trump reference standards, but still...
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    I'm OK with banning felons from gun ownership.
    So am I.

But I'd really prefer if we fixed our fucked up felony voter laws before we started taking even more rights from felons.
    Real talk. First we fix up the fucked up list of felons by rolling back the war on drugs as much as we can. Then the felons that are left are probably murderers, rapists and other irredeemables. Then we consider what rights they should have.
    If they served their time why should their rights be reduced in any way?
    Because at one point the people, through their elected officials, decided they wanted it that way.

Loss of their right to vote is part of "their time", their punishment.

If the majority wants to change it, then they'll referendum or elect folks to change it.

My state (VA) is doing just that. Given how purplish some think VA is, someone might need their help.
    That's not really an argument tho.
    It's a statement of fact. Being found guilty of a felony has some rather harsh outcomes beyond a prison term. This includes losing the right to vote, losing the right to own a firearm, losing the ability to get a federally backed loan, losing the ability to apply for specific federal aide platforms and a few other things here and there. It's part and parcel of why the war on drugs have hit the poor community so hard. They lose quite a bit beyond time served in prison.
    Yes but I asked a question. Answering that with:"because I said so" does not for a compelling argument make.

So am I.

But I'd really prefer if we fixed our fucked up felony voter laws before we started taking even more rights from felons.
    Real talk. First we fix up the fucked up list of felons by rolling back the war on drugs as much as we can. Then the felons that are left are probably murderers, rapists and other irredeemables. Then we consider what rights they should have.
    Because at one point the people, through their elected officials, decided they wanted it that way.

If the majority wants to change it, then they'll referendum or elect folks to change it.

My state (VA) is doing just that. Given how purplish some think VA is, someone might need their help.
    It's a statement of fact. Being found guilty of a felony has some rather harsh outcomes beyond a prison term. This includes losing the right to vote, losing the right to own a firearm, losing the ability to get a federally backed loan, losing the ability to apply for specific federal aide platforms and a few other things here and there. It's part and parcel of why the war on drugs have hit the poor community so hard. They lose quite a bit beyond time served in prison.
    Yes but I asked a question. Answering that with:"because I said so" does not for a compelling argument make.
    Because they've demonstrated either an intent to commit a serious crime or through negligence/stupidity allowed one to happen. I think there should be a method for felons having their rights restored, but I'm certainly not opposed to them having those rights taken away in the first place.

Now bad@botes

Huh?

Top keks, right here. Palmer Luckey is a Trumptard. http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...a=twitter_page

Quote Originally Posted by Dianeces View Post
    So am I.

Because they've demonstrated either an intent to commit a serious crime or through negligence/stupidity allowed one to happen. I think there should be a method for felons having their rights restored, but I'm certainly not opposed to them having those rights taken away in the first place.
    That's what prison is for. After it they did their time. Heck here after a set period their public record says they never were in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Is someone making new versions of these? I should still have Katrina - The Gathering somewhere on my HDD (site's still up as well)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    Is someone making new versions of these? I should still have Katrina - The Gathering somewhere on my HDD (site's still up as well)
    Dunno, there have always been parody cards posted as long as I can remember. This one just came on my FLGS FB page.

Dunno, there have always been parody cards posted as long as I can remember. This one just came on my FLGS FB page.
    Yeah, I want a current fucking repository though, though must be at least one nerd put there who collects all the various one coming from different people.

Would do it (both collecting and making ones) myself if I weren't so lazy, unskilled at graphics and knew MTG better
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Yeah, I want a current fucking repository though, though must be at least one nerd put there who collects all the various one coming from different people.

Would do it (both collecting and making ones) myself if I weren't so lazy, unskilled at graphics and knew MTG better
    http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

For making custom cards.

So am I.

You're asking us to answer for why 50 different States, over 200+ years of history, decided at various times and in various ways to bar or limit (or undo limits to) the voting rights of felons.

I would suggest there is no easy, one line short-version answer to your question. My original answer stands as the best, it's because the people of the States that do this choose to have it that way. And not, I should point out, "because I said so" which is a foolish response to the stated facts here.

If the electorate no longer feels it's appropriate, it can and has been changed. Perhaps it should. It's a worthwhile debate to discuss why old things are still the way of things.
    "Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany

So am I.

You're asking us to answer for why 50 different States, over 200+ years of history, decided at various times and in various ways to bar or limit (or undo limits to) the voting rights of felons.

I would suggest there is no easy, one line short-version answer to your question. My original answer stands as the best, it's because the people of the States that do this choose to have it that way. And not, I should point out, "because I said so" which is a foolish response to the stated facts here.

If the electorate no longer feels it's appropriate, it can and has been changed. Perhaps it should. It's a worthwhile debate to discuss why old things are still the way of things.
    The UK did the same before the EU ruled it illegal but TBH I think it was called right originally. If you break the rules of society then you should lose the right to vote.

The only real supporting case I can see for it is that potentially it would prevent political prisoners from voting, but then if your country is locking up lots of political prisoners any vote is likely a complete sham anyway.

It doesn't really make much difference either way though since the prison population likely isn't big enough to sway an election. (well maybe in murica where you lock people up for being black in public)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankunytjatjara View Post
    Speaking of that, am I the only one that noticed that Trump finally made a statement sympathetic to blacks only when a black, and a woman, cop shot?
    That's subtle in Trump reference standards, but still...
    Not quite. Well, in Trump terms that is. He's be going on about 'what have you got to lose' to blacks for some time. Getting no traction whatsoever as far as I can tell. Whether that's a statement sympathetic to blacks is arguable I suppose.

So am I.

The UK did the same before the EU ruled it illegal but TBH I think it was called right originally. If you break the rules of society then you should lose the right to vote.

The only real supporting case I can see for it is that potentially it would prevent political prisoners from voting, but then if your country is locking up lots of political prisoners any vote is likely a complete sham anyway.

It doesn't really make much difference either way though since the prison population likely isn't big enough to sway an election. (well maybe in murica where you lock people up for being black in public)
    I can't see any reason to permanently exclude anyone from their 'inalienable' rights whatsoever. Unless you still thing eugenics is a good thing. I have to say, it doesn't surprise me in the least that a country as debased as the US still holds to such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    So am I.

I can't see any reason to permanently exclude anyone from their 'inalienable' rights whatsoever. Unless you still thing eugenics is a good thing. I have to say, it doesn't surprise me in the least that a country as debased as the US still holds to such things.
    I didn't say permanently exclude. Obviously when the sentence is served their right to vote should be reinstated.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Wait, if you serve a prison sentence in the US, you can't vote either after you've served that time?