hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 590 of 1135 FirstFirst ... 904905405805875885895905915925936006406901090 ... LastLast
Results 11,781 to 11,800 of 22687

Thread: Make [USA Politics Thread] Great Again!

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    So I'll repeat, since it didn't seem to sink in
    At this moment I would ask you to provide me with a name of someone "from the clinton camp" which is still being paid by clinton, while simultaneously being employed by a major news network as their opinion provider. But I give up. I do enjoy the irony of what I quoted though.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    At this moment I would ask you to provide me with a name of someone "from the clinton camp" which is still being paid by clinton, while simultaneously being employed by a major news network as their opinion provider. But I give up. I do enjoy the irony of what I quoted though.
    Chelsea Clinton.

Employed by NBC News, paid ~$600,000 (per the LA Times) by NBC, also compensated by the Clinton Foundation, and covered issues and concepts related to things the Clinton Foundation did.

“I am profoundly grateful to NBC viewers who responded to the stories I shared,” wrote Ms. Clinton, whose reports were part of NBC News’s “Making a Difference” series. Those reports were often in line with the charitable work Ms. Clinton does at the Clinton Foundation."
    Now, are there more? I don't know, it's soooooo hard to prove (sound familiar, I was just recently told being unable to show any evidence is ok if it's "hard" to prove) since I lack access to CNN's payroll/compensation records, or the Clinton Campaign/Foundation/Off-the-Books Personal/Allied 401c3 payroll/compensation records.

Why, I'd need the mainstream media to cover that, wouldn't I. And as we see from Lew, they're not in a rush to uncover this aspect of their business.

In any event, as I said, I think things like compensation and donations should be disclosed by media members and show guests. So as such, I would have wanted CNN to disclose Lew's issue up front. After that, it's up to the viewer to decide. Me, I take nothing Lew says seriously.

I fully expect you'll totally ignore the last line (my position on the issue) and go right to white-knighting Chelsea's "job" with NBC.
    "Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Chelsea Clinton.

Employed by NBC News, paid ~$600,000 (per the LA Times) by NBC, also compensated by the Clinton Foundation, and covered issues and concepts related to things the Clinton Foundation did.

“I am profoundly grateful to NBC viewers who responded to the stories I shared,” wrote Ms. Clinton, whose reports were part of NBC News’s “Making a Difference” series. Those reports were often in line with the charitable work Ms. Clinton does at the Clinton Foundation."
    Now, are there more? I don't know, it's soooooo hard to prove (sound familiar, I was just recently told being unable to show any evidence is ok if it's "hard" to prove) since I lack access to CNN's payroll/compensation records, or the Clinton Campaign/Foundation/Off-the-Books Personal/Allied 401c3 payroll/compensation records.

Why, I'd need the mainstream media to cover that, wouldn't I. And as we see from Lew, they're not in a rush to uncover this aspect of their business.

In any event, as I said, I think things like compensation and donations should be disclosed by media members and show guests. So as such, I would have wanted CNN to disclose Lew's issue up front. After that, it's up to the viewer to decide. Me, I take nothing Lew says seriously.

I fully expect you'll totally ignore the last line (my position on the issue) and go right to white-knighting Chelsea's "job" with NBC.
    Chelsea Clinton left NBC August 29, 2014. HRC announced her campaign on April 12, 2015.

So literally doesn't even meet any of the criteria Helgur asked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Chelsea Clinton.

Chelsea Clinton left NBC August 29, 2014. HRC announced her campaign on April 12, 2015.

You presume two things which are absolutely ludicrous

a) Alistair possess at least a modicum of ability in comprehensive reading
    b) Alistair is interested in acquiring factual knowledge and arguing topics based on that, rather than spouting whatever comes to his mind to support his wild theories and then talking over anyone who might point out the mind-boggling irrationality of his existence; including contradicting his very self
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Chelsea Clinton.

Dammit Aea. Stop white knighting Chelsea. That was my job

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I assume the shock is that someone in the mainstream non-Fox media is actually in the Trump and not the Clinton camp?
    The faux-shock is that CNN employs a single Trump surrogate rather than exclusively employing Clinton surrogates.

You'll notice there has been no complaints re: how many ex-Clinton staffers currently work in major media.

With that said, Lewandowski, like his former boss, is an idiot.
    The issue is that Lewandowski odesn't appear to be an ex-staffer. He's just a straight up paid employee of the Trump campaign.

Anyway so apparently Trump said that he wants the police to stop and search "bad people" and take away their guns there and then.

Thoughts on that, Alistair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    The issue is that Lewandowski odesn't appear to be an ex-staffer. He's just a straight up paid employee of the Trump campaign.
    So just to be clear, if you are receiving contractually mandated severance (or any other) payments from a former employer, you are (in your eyes) in actually still employed and controlled and what you say dictated by that former employer.

Ok, fair enough, your position is very clear.

I hope mine was as well, it should have been disclosed. In advance. And every time he spoke/appeared. Beyond that, I don't care if CNN doesn't care.

Anyway so apparently Trump said that he wants the police to stop and search "bad people" and take away their guns there and then.

Thoughts on that, Alistair?
    Presuming your quote is accurate, my thought would be "Trump is a moron", the same thought I almost always have when Trump speaks.

Proactive Gun-Confiscation Units taking guns from an ill-defined "bad people" is not my preference in crafting public policy.

What are your thoughts Malc?
    "Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Severance paid like a salary is super unusual. Doubly questionable in the middle of a political campaign. If this was a Clinton staffer I'd bet there'd be frothing at the mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Severance paid like a salary is super unusual.
    Remember, this was severance related to a service contract, not an employee. Paying out a contract per it's terms.

If this was a Clinton staffer I'd bet there'd be frothing at the mouth.
    I'm sure there would be.

And I have no issue with it being raised and discussed here. Influence on media members is always worth discussion.

The implication of continuing to pay out a contract when your contractor is now working in a position which should have no outside influence is obvious. Are we just going to go with the old "incompetent campaign" excuse again?

What's really disappointing to me is that the tiniest figment of what could be called evidence is used to drag HRC through the mud but obvious misbehavior by Trump is excused. Their respective charity foundations come to mind.

The implication of continuing to pay out a contract when your contractor is now working in a position which should have no outside influence is obvious.
    Yet CNN didn't agree with you.

Is that on Trump, or on CNN?

Are we just going to go with the old "incompetent campaign" excuse again?
    I don't see this being Trump's issue. It's CNN's issue to answer for. Or do you feel differently?

What's really disappointing to me is that the tiniest figment of what could be called evidence is used to drag HRC through the mud but obvious misbehavior by Trump is excused.

Their respective charity foundations come to mind.
    Who is excusing Trump for his (common) misuse of his Foundation? If I recall, he's been fined a number of times for misuse, and it's been reported on and called out in the media.

He's also a private individual, which makes any misuse he engaged in a bit different that the (alleged) misuse by a Government Official and her Power of Office.

But I get it,

Trump donation = definitely corruption. I wouldn't disagree, it smells horrid and warrants investigation.

Hillary gets (much MUCH larger) donation, then approves Govt. Action (in very large numbers of value) in Favor of Donator = no chance of corruption, just coincidence. And while hard-to-prove is a valid excuse for presuming racism-as-motive, hard to prove is no answer here.

At this point it's like Jets Fans debating Fitz vs. Geno. Nobody is changing their view.

Hillary Clinton Pens a Op-Ed on Poverty for the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/21/op...icas-poor.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0071a6e097971

Subject to possible changes because of news developments, the topics for the September 26 debate are as follows, not necessarily to be brought up in this order:

America’s Direction
    Achieving Prosperity
    Securing America

The debate will be held on Monday, September 26 at Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY. The format calls for six 15-minute time segments. Two 15-minute segments will focus on each of the topics listed above.
    Looks like the debate commission is trying to bring the quality of discourse down to Trump's level.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0071a6e097971

Subject
    to possible changes because of news developments, the topics for the September 26 debate are as follows, not necessarily to be brought up in this order:

America’s Direction
    Achieving Prosperity
    Securing America

Making America Great Again

The debate will be held on Monday, September 26 at Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY. The format calls for six 15-minute time segments. Two 15-minute segments will focus on each of the topics listed above.
    Looks like the debate commission is trying to bring the quality of discourse down to Trump's level.

Shirley murica direction is heading eastwards since that's the way world turns? No need to debate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Shirley murica direction is heading eastwards since that's the way world turns? No need to debate it.
    That's what Big Geography lobby would like you to think. They have vested interest in continuing selling those globes, refusing to accept the fact the the Earth is flat!

Teach the controversy!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    That's what Big Geography lobby would like you to think. They have vested interest in continuing selling those globes, refusing to accept the fact the the Earth is flat!

Teach the controversy!
    Yeah the same bunch also say the Atlantic is getting wider which would mean it's going westwards. All liars and cheats.

My plan would expand Low Income Housing Tax Credits in high-cost areas to increase our affordable housing supply, and fuel broader community development. So if you are a family living in an expensive city, you would be able to find an affordable place to call home and have access to the transportation you need to get to good jobs and quality schools.
    This is nice in theory. But I think history shows things like this have a tendency to put an ass-beating on the wallets of the people who pay the full sticker price for their rent.

My plan would expand Low Income Housing Tax Credits in high-cost areas to increase our affordable housing supply, and fuel broader community development. So if you are a family living in an expensive city, you would be able to find an affordable place to call home and have access to the transportation you need to get to good jobs and quality schools.
    This is nice in theory. But I think history shows things like this have a tendency to put an ass-beating on the wallets of the people who pay the full sticker price for their rent.
    Subsidizing on the backend (taxes) is infinitely better than on the frontend ("affordable housing") IMHO. Can you expand on why you think this will be a bad idea?

Edit: I personally don't agree with this BTW.

Well, her plan boils down to the usual: alot of subsidizing on a host of items and larger social welfare payments out.

Someone will have to pay the bill, nothing is free. Either Debt, or Higher Taxes.