hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OS X Thread

Sadly I bought it in May 2011 so it's out of any warranty.

Also, Apple conducted a recall so if it had failed before May, I would have received a free replacement. Oh well.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

So I got my MBP back, they didn't find anything wrong with it, except that the graphics card (they didn't mention which one) had the "wrong settings". Basically they didn't fix shit, they just "tested" it. In queue with Apple Phone Support to tell them off properly

LE: 25 minutes in queue, got hold of a dude, he noted my "concerns" and I opted to take it back (instead of having it picked up and sent to the same location most likely). Derp.
    Last edited by Cosmin; November 10 2014 at 10:34:47 AM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Just installed El Capitan and holy shit this thing's fast. Like blazing fast. I basically got back Maverick's speed and more even o.O Doesn't even need the discrete graphics card to drive stuffs in normal browsing/operating mode (mission control and fast app switching) where Yosemite was taking the piss massively.

And this is the same system which went through Mavericks -> Yosemite -> El Capitan and has the SSD filled to ~90%. Good stuff.

Careful if you're a dev, word on the street is that the upgrade doesn't play nicely with homebrew.

Luckily I'm not, just 2000 Facebook machine.

On a more serious note, I don't do dev work (just yet) or if I do it, I use VMs, which are unaffected. Most of the work I do is Photoshop/Illustrator/Premiere/After Effects/Speedgrade/Audition. And these are absolutely blistering fast compared to Yosemite, they open in like 1/4 of the time needed before. Which was promised and (gasp) actually made it to the live version.

I obviously still have a backup if shit goes tits up, so far it's just Bartender that insists on paying 5 bucks to upgrade to v2, everything else provided free updates. Oh, and Paragon NTFS for Mac, but Paragon are cunts anyway.

Nice to hear. Hopefully it's more stable than Yosemite has been. I'm a sysadmin for Macs and Yosemite has been the source of a fair number of hard to isolate bugs, some of which Apple actually admitted (discoveryd, may you burn in hell for eternity) and some of which they didn't (fuck you icloud, and your numerous system hooks which shit the bed if you don't actually use icloud) (mysterious finder slowdowns).

But meh, I'm still running on a 2008 Mac Pro (OSX, Windows and Linux). God damn fucking amazing machine in terms of robustness and longevity. Glad to hear that 10.11 is faster.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Few days in with it I'm still quite happy on how it works. If only it didn't disable file vault, now I need to go over it again ffs.

iPhonE

Got 10.11 on my Macbook Air. Pretty meh, to be honest. The split fullscreen is nice, as it is in Windows 10, but apart form that the only real difference I see is the system font makes non retina devices look a bit better.

Can anyone C/D this:

DV cameras won't work over firewire in ~certaincases~ from iMacs because you can't get enough power through the bus - and the fix is to use a powered Firewire repeater.

Sounds shit enough to be true and ~65 quid to fix.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Sorry no dice. I don't have many firewire devices around anymore.

No experience with cameras, but I do have some FW audio interfaces (high end). My MBP doesn't have enough bus power to boot the device, but will keep it running after boot if you remove its own power. Some email list archive searching indicates this started happening after apple moved away from using TI FW chips, around the second gen of Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Can anyone C/D this:

DV cameras won't work over firewire in ~certaincases~ from iMacs because you can't get enough power through the bus - and the fix is to use a powered Firewire repeater.

Sounds shit enough to be true and ~65 quid to fix.
    Can't c/d, however I can offer some insight on this since I've had experience with some DV cameras and firewire and I can say you can easily draw a parallel on how USB stuff works. Generally, using a powered hub - be it USB or Firewire - is recommended when trying to plug in stuff that theoretically requires a lot of power - external HDDs, some computer peripherals, cameras. In the case of cameras, though, it is rather stupid since you already have a lot of power available from the included battery, and in this case the fault lies really with the camera manufacturer, not anybody else - for poor design of the stuff.

I have also encountered the most retarded thing ever - a Sony camera with USB and firewire - you can only use firewire to import the video, USB is only for still frames. The actual fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I have also encountered the most retarded thing ever - a Sony camera with USB and firewire - you can only use firewire to import the video, USB is only for still frames. The actual fuck.
    This sounds like typical Sony TBH.

Epic necro regarding temperatures and me rediscovering this little gem of a program - Volta.

It allows several stuff:
    - undervolting the CPU and significantly boosting battery time and significantly cutting down temperatures:

- putting the CPU in "performance mode" and seeing the turbo boost frequency be on at all times when working with heavy workloads - OS X itself doesn't really do this, I never saw the advertised 3.4GHz out of my i7 before I installed Volta:

- a combination of the above with the CPU running at turbo boost speeds and undervolted significantly alters temperatures, performance in heavy workloads on and off the charger.

Also plug your charger on new macbooks into the right hand ports unless you want your macbook to overheat and then underclock itself.

Sent from my Potato using my fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Also plug your charger on new macbooks into the right hand ports unless you want your macbook to overheat and then underclock itself.

This reminded me, for Magsafe 2 users just charge your macbook to 100% then plugin the charger like this and it will just draw power directly from the charger without actually charging the battery. This is because the charging doesn't really stop and in time it ruins the battery (ask me how I know, swollen battery after 4 years and less than 100 cycles total).

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

This reminded me, for Magsafe 2 users just charge your macbook to 100% then plugin the charger like this and it will just draw power directly from the charger without actually charging the battery. This is because the charging doesn't really stop and in time it ruins the battery (ask me how I know, swollen battery after 4 years and less than 100 cycles total).

Spoiler:
    Stop your battery EXPANDING with this ONE simple trick! Apple geniuses HATE it!!!

Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Maybe you think it's funny but you didn't have to pay 299.99 for a battery swap. The magsafe 2 connector has mirrored pins on the sides (+/-) with the middle one being the battery charge sensing stuff. You block that one and the laptop will draw power directly from the charger, without charging the battery itself. Works wonders if you are using the Macbook closed, in a stand, with an external screen (not to mention it gets rid of the heat generated by having the battery continuously charging).

wut. this needs clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post

wut. this needs clarifying.
    Good luck getting apple to confirm this.