hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OS X Thread

OS X Thread

So I've updated to Yosemite (Sam) and now Mission Control is jerky, wat do. MBP 15'' Retina Late 2013 (i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD).

Of course I backed up prior to the upgrade because it was sure something would derp but I kinda like the looks, hand over and all.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Not upgrading for a few months, that's just retarded.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Checked with some friends, seems it isn't normal, will do a wipe then take it to an Apple store if still jerky.

iTap&talk.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Is it a known issue? If so it'll probably just get patched.

I have the same problem on my Mac Pro (early 2008) but not on my Macbook Air. I think it's a pixel shovelling thing. I presume it will get patched, sooner or later.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Mine is definitely super spiffy, one generation newer but same GPU IIRC.

The "I want to update" popup has been going up for the last 6 months and each day I've diligently pressed the "remind me tomorrow" button, which seems to work just fine. I will probably decide to allow it to update on a really boring friday afternoon.
    Also I read some people complaining on twitter that Yosemite broke some of their brew installs. So I want to give it a couple of weeks for things to either get fixed, or people to post guides how to get shit running on 10.10

Fairly sure my bash can still get shellshocked as well.

Also what's with the name? Weren't they doing cats?

They ran out of cats and decided to do California Places as there's more flexibility there.

Still jittery as fuck. Aea, do you have File Vault enabled on yours? I'm looking into different possibilities before taking it in

Yes, but my MBPr is just a glorified reddit machine and the four year old dinosaur is still doing all the heavy lifting

I'll probably do a fresh install as I toyed with a few tools I don't fully trust and I have nothing on it of value.

Quote Originally Posted by roigon View Post
    The "I want to update" popup has been going up for the last 6 months and each day I've diligently pressed the "remind me tomorrow" button, which seems to work just fine. I will probably decide to allow it to update on a really boring friday afternoon.
    Also I read some people complaining on twitter that Yosemite broke some of their brew installs. So I want to give it a couple of weeks for things to either get fixed, or people to post guides how to get shit running on 10.10

Fairly sure my bash can still get shellshocked as well.

Also what's with the name? Weren't they doing cats?
    All the shell shock variants mentioned on the wikipedia page have been patched.

On the whole I'm liking Yosemite. Much cleaner design in Finder, Mail, Safari. Prefs, Calendar, etc. Extensions are also nice.

So I've narrowed down the jerkiness to Safari. I know I have a fuckton of bookmarks. I did clear the cache by enabling developer mode, but it's still slow when pushing MC butan. Also did a SMC and PRAM reset, short of reinstalling I don't see any other option.

If I force enable the discrete GPU, the problems are 99% solved, it's smooth as butter.

Donor
    Got file vault, time machine, the works. Not jittery at all. Bought this 15" MBP Retina in March.
    Actually, Yosemite feels snappier to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    So I've narrowed down the jerkiness to Safari. I know I have a fuckton of bookmarks. I did clear the cache by enabling developer mode, but it's still slow when pushing MC butan. Also did a SMC and PRAM reset, short of reinstalling I don't see any other option.

If I force enable the discrete GPU, the problems are 99% solved, it's smooth as butter.
    Dumb question. Have you tried another account on the same machine? If so, try kill all caches, prefs and application support files for safari.

Today was boring at work so I updated.
    They changed the icons.

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

Dumb question. Have you tried another account on the same machine? If so, try kill all caches, prefs and application support files for safari.
    Can you give more details? I've axed the Safari cache, the SMC/PRAM thingies (which deleted all my previous opened tabs which sent me into absolute rage). Did a new account, started Safari, no preferences, nothing at all and it's still sliiiiiiiiiiiiiightly jerky when pushing mission control key.

I disabled the home page thingie that shows the previously accessed/bookmarked pages, seemed to make it a tad faster, still not as before.

Will buy the Apple Care thingie (1 year thingie expires on the 28th October, so that was lucky) and investigate more, probably will end up with taking it to Apple which I'd rather not considering :time: Managed to fix the high temps thingie by using a can of compressed air, not sure how effective that was, inside a week they're back to 95-ish*C in intensive tasks.

Also I noticed they fixed in Yosemite the USB 3.0 bug I've encountered and described in this thread. Now instead of making keys unusable, it locks up completely on boot up with the mouse stuck in that port, always randomly. GF, Apple, gf.

I just picked up a 2012 MBP from the repair guy yesterday. This is the 3rd time it's been in. The first was because of exactly the problem you've been having, fans blowing continually, despite opening it up and blowing out all the dust. They changed the motherboard (apparently Apple had a set of MBPs with far too much paste on the CPU cooler). 2nd time was because the new motherboard wouldn't recognise the SSD we put in (a known bug in some mbs). 3rd time was because mb number 2 suddenly started having graphic glitches. Also new motherboard.

If your machine is running as hot as you say, it's very likely that this is having an effect on the GPU's performance. Take it in and get the motherboard changed, then run it as hard as you can (some modern fps shooter for instance) and see what happens. The AppleCare is a good idea.

Fact is it doesn't run hot or with fans all maxed at all times, only when the discrete GPU is on (meaning 3D tasks and intensive and what not). My jerkiness problem is with all fans inaudible and the discrete GPU off (normal Safari browsing, not much else really going on).

Edit: got the Apple Care package today, ouch my wallet

Holy shit Yosemite is good. Continuity is beyond amazing.

Mmmm, Finder is also jerky on my Mac Pro. Maybe it's just old, or maybe 10 is just too heavy on the composting.

Mmmm again. Reducing transparency seems to help.
    Last edited by thebomby; November 2 2014 at 01:31:43 PM.