hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GamerGate - Srs Vrsn

Trigger warning!! **INCOMING WALL OF TEXT!!!**

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Taken in one byte it's not a bad little narrative but lets examine it to see how the clouds in the sky these opinions rest in are formed shall we.

Actually no it wasn't big on twitter. GamerGate didn't take off until this event actually (Aug 28). It had only partially grown after some sites started to change their disclosure policies (and would silently change back later). The hash tag GamerGate was created literally the night before and probably would have stayed small after the policy changes since it was focused on a handful of devs and journalists.
    So Gamergate wasn't a thing until people decided to make it a thing on twitter. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. Shame you neatly sidestepped the actual point of his post though. There are aspersions being cast that 'everyoen was in on it' and it's demonstrably provable that that is a totally made up pile of nonsense.

So some journalists were able to talk to some other journalists. They may or may not have colluded bu they may each in turn have communicated with each other, or been able to communicate with each other. Gotcha. But it was nly bad journalists who talked on there. With you so far.
    Yup pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken
    Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManFromDelmonte
    The fact is journalists communicating with each other is not a problem, nor unique to games. Press clubs are a real thing that the real journalism world has in abundance. No journalism ethics course would even think to dicuss what is appropriate to discuss with other journalists privately because it would never occur to anyone that it's an issue.
    Well it's definitely not unique to games and the excuses about press clubs or "we're just friendly banter" have been used in the past. The reason why this was brought up is because it's happened to real journalists and was a black mark.
    No. no it wasn't. once again it's very easy to cast around aspersions of "this was very bad and everyone as really in trouble for it". What you are in fact saying is Journalists are not allowed to talk to other journalists in pricate, they must do it all out in the open, in public, in front of me because i am extremely distrustful fo them. That's cool. just pop out and say it though, as you really are using way too many words up to say it.
    Nope. And I find it quite sad that you still haven't figured out the difference between banter and collusion. One is meaningless and happens all of the time. The fine line gets broken when you push a narrative within journalism. If it was so meaningless as you try to make out then Kyle Orland wouldn't have made a 2 page post on Ars Technica defending his part in the whole thing along with a number of others including John Funk who you posted. It's one thing to say, "this game sucks because of XXX, so I'm going to write a bad story on it" and "this game sucks because of XXX, so we're all going to write stories on it and if you don't we can make this very uncomfortable for you within this tiny sphere of games journalism".

We are supposed to believe at this point that either the sole, or the emergent reason for members of this list to communicate is to fool, hoodwink, misdirect and / or con the reading public into following a secret narrative layed down in the Group by the members. I gatehr it's way past asking ifg you ahve any idea how carzy you sound ?
    Any line of communication can be used for fun or for illicit purposes. And many of the entries show plenty of funny stuff meant for behind doors joking. The problem is that it was also used for more than that which is where we run into issues.

These were both breeches of SPJ ethics [/qoute]
    No there wasn't

and clear cut examples of nepotism but that isn't against the law.
    As above
    SJP isn't a government agency. Breeches of their policy break no US laws unless a charge of racketeering can be proved.

I've lived through this same kind of bullshit back when I was a kid and it seems that every new generation are apt to make the same mistakes. They told us that heavy metal was turning us into devil worshipers (the spinning records backwards to hear satan days), then that Dungeons and Dragons would turn us into occultist or give you psychological problems, then how cartoons were too violent and would turn us into killers, which led up to the Jack Thompson days of "video games are murder simulators" and we're going to be killers again. Now we're at period of video games will make us sexist and misogynists. We were to humble ourselves before these patrons of morality and submit to their will despite the very muddled science of their beliefs.
    This is my favorite paragraph of the whole fiasco.

If translated correctly you are saying that because in your youth, crazy Religious / neo-conservative types were 'Down' on D&D, now their opposite numbers, the liberals want to stop you from playing computergames? is that it?
    The PMRC was chaired by Tipper Gore. In both cases of Heavy Metal/Rock and violent video games the weights were balanced on both sides of the political spectrum. In this case you have both liberal and conservative types were are part of GamerGate. It's an extremely odd mix when you realize that people who would normally not support each other are doing so in this instance. It's pretty telling when religious conservatives are calling out the extremist anti-GamerGaters for fucking up the pro-homosexual game convention GaymerX just because they wanted a neutral stance.

Now we're at period of video games will make us sexist and misogynists.
    We were to humble ourselves before these patrons of morality and submit to their will despite the very muddled science of their beliefs.
    muddled science of their beliefs
    So they who would stop you from having D&D now will stop you from computergaming because of the science of their beliefs? Even skipping over the "science != Belief" problem Modern neo-Conservative ideology is perfectly aligned with the current 'GG' philosophy. Games are for men. Women are objects adn should be paid less / treated as such / in the kitchen. Children should do as their parents did, not listen to heavy metal and not play games parents do not understand with picturs of wizzards in them.
    Ooookaaaaay. Right, because GamerGate is secretly against women devs so much that we have to hide those beliefs instead of being very open about them. In fact the journalists being implicated in all of this are the real crusaders here and they're exposing our secret cabal of women haters. Oh wait, since when did shitty journalists become "female devs"?

Also, why did you break up the sentences like that? Do you not understand context?

In all of those previous periods people had to take a stand otherwise the very things we loved would have be curtailed and controlled by a group of moral panic extremists riding on moral high horses trying to run roughshod over something they found "problematic".
    So gamergate is taking a stand. A stand against moral panic. against Political Correctness gone mad. against the system trying to oppress gamers out of their thingies. Is it now. interesting. A few pages ago it was about journalism and stopping the journalist from writing things that they have discussed. Though a few pages before that it was about a woman who wrote a game getting a review she allegedly paid for with her vagina. Make up your mind man. You can see why the people are confused.
    Ummm, one thing kicked it off. The other thing contributed. You seem to be trying to blow up both as a primary reason for the existence of GamerGate.

Let me make this a bit clearer for you.

1. Shitty female game dev made a shitty game and slept with some people to get good review in kotaku and to win major awards at a rigged indy convention
    2. Turns out that the exbf thinks the timeline is off by one month so game press might not be true. Game Journos go apeshit and claim issue is debunked.
    3. Ignore previous game press in RPS which wasn't an official review and the awards issue.
    4. Game Journos confused why they're the target. Double down on misogyny to put off Gamers.
    5. Gamers go on investigating and find shitty behavior by Game Journos. Shitty female game devs is never mentioned after this point from GamerGate.
    6. Gamer Journos don't understand why no one was pissy before. Keep bring up Shitty Female Game dev and Anna Sarkeesian....because misogyny.
    7. #notyourshield tells them to fuck off. Issue isn't inclusiveness, but shitty Game Journos. Are called Uncle Toms and traitors
    8. Game Journos start losing advertisers. Call GamerGate a hate campaign again. Claim all anonymous harassers are part of GamerGate. Claim GamerGate is the reason for all harassment of Shitty Female Game dev, Anna Sarkeesian, and now Brianna Wu (who plugs her game with sexualized female characters furiously).

Anyway - didn't GJP happen 2007-2010 anyway ? it's old (boring and irrelevant) news.
    GJP is still in service. Those believed to have leaked it were kicked out.

Gamers are spoiled brats. It's not a question it's a statement of fact.
    Gamers are consumers. When consumers get shit on they complain. This happens in EVERY SINGLE INDUSTRY. Remember when the Mass Effect 3 ending was so bad that consumers complained and Bioware provided an alternative ending? Remember the T-20 incident in EvE and the result of that screw up? That's because they want those consumers to buy/sub their games again. Consumers give you money and if you're shitty to consumers then they don't give you money. This isn't rocket science. If someone wants to make a game with whatever political ideology, they're free to do so, just don't expect to rake in money for it.

Felicia Day weighs in:

http://thisfeliciaday.tumblr.com/pos...out-gamer-gate

and gets doxxed:

“I realized my silence on the issue was not motivated by some grand strategy, but out of fear that the issue has created about speaking out,” Day wrote on her Tumblr. “I have tried to retweet a few of the articles I’ve seen dissecting the issue in support, but personally I a terrified to be doxed for even typing the words ‘gamer gate.’ I have had stalkers and restraining orders issued in the past, I have had people show up on my doorstep when my personal information was hard to get.”

Minutes after she posted the note, an anonymous user left a comment beneath her post with information they claimed was her address and personal email. The entire comment section has since been removed.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Felicia Day weighs in:

and gets doxxed:

“I realized my silence on the issue was not motivated by some grand strategy, but out of fear that the issue has created about speaking out,” Day wrote on her Tumblr. “I have tried to retweet a few of the articles I’ve seen dissecting the issue in support, but personally I a terrified to be doxed for even typing the words ‘gamer gate.’ I have had stalkers and restraining orders issued in the past, I have had people show up on my doorstep when my personal information was hard to get.”

Minutes after she posted the note, an anonymous user left a comment beneath her post with information they claimed was her address and personal email. The entire comment section has since been removed.
    Just to point out, doxxing involves highly personal social media, photos, bank accounts etc. Someone posted her home address and email which was already public domain and shown on various paparazzi and fan sites. This information was used by paparazzi to stalk...err obtain important photos of movie stars. This was questioned when it first happened because of the ease of discovery which she claimed was "hard to get". Others took a look and it was a fairly simple search at the time with her fan club at the front and personal details afterwards (now headlines fill up most of google). So it begs the question if this is really a doxx or is this like your parents going through your public facebook photos and calling it "hacking".

The actual "doxx":

Day makes some awesome geek stuff. You could always tell that she's severely fragile in the emotional sense going off of past interviews and her writings about depression. But her blog post about this was a bit disturbing. I will continue to like the stuff she does at Geek and Sundry. But I'm hoping that it's just a literary mechanism used to emphasize distrust rather than something she actually did which would constitute a sensational amount of paranoia.

But for the first time maybe in my life, on that Saturday afternoon, I walked towards that pair of gamers and I didn’t smile. I didn’t say hello. In fact, I crossed the street so I wouldn’t walk by them.

New Details about Grayson and lack of disclosure

Also, as a side note, we've seen the Gawker media types regurgitate the mantra of "the relationship between Grayson and Quinn was debunked". Someone decided to take a closer look at the code since it was done in Twine which begs the question of why more people were needed to develop it. It turns out that Quinn gave special thanks to a number of people. One of those was Nathon Grayson. So now we're looking at the fact that Grayson helped the development of Depression Quest and would later go on to give it accolades or reviews in three separate game press articles without disclosure. So now we know they knew each other at least professionally looong before Grayson and Kotako admitted which makes anything they say on this even more suspect.

On top of it all, the Ian Miles Cheong from the Daily Beast, who has been doggedly following the exbf Gjoni and been a very vocal proponent of Quinn was also on the credits.

Original release on Moby Games
    http://archive.today/LFrir

Full Report
    http://theralphretort.com/zoe-quinn-...thout-grayson/

Grayson responds, claims he only did an early alpha. Forgets that he's admitting to have known Quinn almost a full year earlier than he admitted and to having a role, if even a small one, in the development of a game he would later cover for different media sites which he never disclosed. Again, his impartiality becomes suspect.

haven't been following this topic closely for the last month or so ...

soooo ... after almost two months of #gamergate and "ethics in games journalism!" ... has anyone dug up juicy stuff with regards to video game publishers (EA, Activision, etc.) and their interaction with the gaming press? after all they aren't in the business for the ethics (or arguably for the games), but for the money ... so i expect quite a few "interesting things" to be dug up. and have there been already some campaigns to limit native advertising and "buying" favorable reviews by the video game industry?

or is #gamergate still in the phase of harassing women and people who disagree with them, while arguing about zoe quinn et al. at the same time as arguing that it's not about zoe quinn et al.?
    Last edited by untilted; October 26 2014 at 07:51:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by untilted View Post
    haven't been following this topic closely for the last month or so ...

soooo ... after almost two months of #gamergate and "ethics in games journalism!" ... has anyone dug up juicy stuff with regards to video game publishers (EA, Activision, etc.) and their interaction with the gaming press? after all they aren't in the business for the ethics (or arguably for the games), but for the money ... so i expect quite a few "interesting things" to be dug up. and have there been already some campaigns to limit native advertising and "buying" favorable reviews by the video game industry?
    Plenty of stuff has been dug up and rehashed already. Are you looking for something new? The Jeff Gerstmann had long ago been brought up and used as an example. Discussions on swag, paid events, promotionals and so on have been brought up criticized and moved on. Of course the "journalists" asked the same question when that criticism fell on them and mostly it was seen as an attempt to shift blame from the journalists to the publishers for daring to make those offers (also ignoring the fact that they took them). This is really an apples to oranges view and at best you can go after the PR companies as representatives. Again, this has been addressed but whether or not big publishers lay down ground rules is dependent more on whether the reviewers/journalists and their editors are willing to resist this or not. So we're back to journalists getting their crap together.

or is #gamergate still in the phase of harassing women and people who disagree with them, while arguing about zoe quinn et al. at the same time as arguing that it's not about zoe quinn et al.?
    The Zoe Quinn affair is brought up regularly by the journalists as both the start and the only reason why GamerGate should exist. Then they'll go on to explain how that situation is debunked and GG exists for no reason. This is a central talking point. Hence why I have the long post above with details of the affair which invalidates their talking point. Other than this, she really doesn't matter although she's still very active and was recently given a soapbox on CNN as a subject matter expert on GG. Quinn will continue to be talked because the media will keep injecting her into the conversation (and she'll keep saying stupid things) until they can find something better. The same goes for Sarkeesian who just recently kicked the hornets nest after some very dumb tweets about recent school shooting (the bodies were literally still warm) which ticked off many far beyond GamerGate. The media eats it up.

Using Newsweeks own recent statistics.

Last edited by Keorythe; October 26 2014 at 11:57:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post
    Plenty of stuff has been dug up and rehashed already. Are you looking for something new? The Jeff Gerstmann had long ago been brought up and used as an example. Discussions on swag, paid events, promotionals and so on have been brought up criticized and moved on. Of course the "journalists" asked the same question when that criticism fell on them and mostly it was seen as an attempt to shift blame from the journalists to the publishers for daring to make those offers (also ignoring the fact that they took them). This is really an apples to oranges view and at best you can go after the PR companies as representatives. Again, this has been addressed but whether or not big publishers lay down ground rules is dependent more on whether the reviewers/journalists and their editors are willing to resist this or not. So we're back to journalists getting their crap together.

[...]
    The Zoe Quinn affair is brought up regularly by the journalists as both the start and the only reason why GamerGate should exist. Then they'll go on to explain how that situation is debunked and GG exists for no reason. This is a central talking point. Hence why I have the long post above with details of the affair which invalidates their talking point. Other than this, she really doesn't matter although she's still very active and was recently given a soapbox on CNN as a subject matter expert on GG. Quinn will continue to be talked because the media will keep injecting her into the conversation (and she'll keep saying stupid things) until they can find something better. The same goes for Sarkeesian who just recently kicked the hornets nest after some very dumb tweets about recent school shooting (the bodies were literally still warm) which ticked off many far beyond GamerGate. The media eats it up.

Using Newsweeks own recent statistics.
    i know what most of the media writes about #GG (and i'd certainly qualify as a "SJW" in your book ) .. so no point in rehashing all these things - this discussion *is* boring and was already done ad nauseum in the last thread.

what i'm actually interested in is the new and interesting things that were brought up by #GG - just picking the keywords you gave me in your post it seems these things are even more of a fringe program than the mouthfrothing rage of #gamergate

as you (and others) argue that #GG isn't about the things i mentioned before (namely: misogyny, harrassment, etc.) - which according you(?) is only a reaction to #GG-critics and made up by the media, it should be rather easy by now to provide a long list of blogs, vlogs etc. to discussions of misconduct that aren't part of this self-referential shitstorm.

i don't want to read the 47th rant why "death of the gamer" deserves the outrage and how only corrupted media would allow people like anita sarkeesian, leigh alexander, etc. to publish their opinions and positions (see above: SJW and everything ).
    i don't want to read the 98th exasperation of how females having sex, SJWs and feminists are "destroying video games".
    i don't want to read the 3rd claim of victory for an ethical and independet games journalism by campaigning advertisers to retract ads from sites that have different positions/opinions than your own.

what i want to read is the reasonable and sensible things that came out of #GG (and i'm giving you here the benefit of the doubt that there's plenty of it) that actually tries to change how the video game industry interacts with the video game press. if it's old stuff being rehashed it's okay, but what i'm really interested in are the things that are genuine #GG stuff.

feel free to post links, articles, videos, anything ... because right now i haven't found any in this thread that don't fall into the things i mentioned already (and don't want to read for the 121st time)

if you want to see it this way: now you've got the chance to convince someone highly skeptical of the #GG "movement" that it's not all the hate and bile and ignorance that it displayed.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    A woman had sex. Neckbeards angered.

Is that a decent summary?

Quote Originally Posted by F*** My Aunt Rita View Post

Some girl tried to make everything about her sex? Some neckbeards tried to make everything about her sex?

Quote Originally Posted by F*** My Aunt Rita View Post

That would be a concise summary.

Seriously I always thought I was somewhat heavily involved in the gaming community, but after this whole shitstorm errupted I still have very little clue what is going on.

I think it has a lot to do with people of both sides relying on hearsay information and not listening to the opposition. Something which continues to polarize the entire "debate".
    [~A place to talk about autism~]

"You can't alt tab from god"

Now BBC has an interview with zoe quinn. I guess she wasn't in the news enough

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    So any actual "games journalism activism" happened in the last few weeks? What's #gamergate doing?

Well last week mainstream media started picking up on this. This week David Pakman, for example, had interviews with Brianna Wu...

...Milo Yiannopoulos...

...Jennie Bharaj..

...and John Bain.

TB also had a podcast thing with Kotaku's Steven Totilo about, indeed, journalistic ethics.

Anita Sarkeesian was on the Colbert Report as well, but I haven't seen it because video data can't cross international borders for some reason.

EDIT: Of course, the "contact Gawker's advertisers" thing continues - there's a whole shitstorm there that I won't get into. It's also come out that, while Gawker condemns such activity as censorship, they have no objection to advertiser boycotts when directed at someone they disagree with.

Lall (and others), if you are interested in keeping up with the latest goings on, I recommend this subreddit.
    Last edited by Steph; October 31 2014 at 06:12:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    So any actual "games journalism activism" happened in the last few weeks? What's #gamergate doing?

http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2014/1...olbert-report/

By the balls! But.. wait.. "they" don't have balls! The cheats!

I mean asking for money on kickstarter is basically a RICO violation isn't it?

um.

she has the power! The ritual is nearly complete. Only you can save mankind.

Even on FHC if someone went that overboard we'd assume they were trolling.

So. 8chan at least has lost any grip on reality its members ever possesed, it's a mob talking in circles proclaiming victory ever more breathlessly even as they're forced to count more and more people as enemies. GG itself.. I have no idea. But the section that was banned from 4chan are living up to their reputation.

One last pic cos I find it funny.

Stephen Colbert on #gamergate, with Anna Sarkeesian interview.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

David Pakman: Overnight, received many emails saying if I don't apologize for neutrality on #gamergate, I'm guilty of leading a hate mob against women

Since the posters on FHC are(bafflingly) a lot more open to discussion, I thought I'd ask here: Those of you skeptical of or in opposition to GamerGate who saw the Pakman interviews, what is your opinion on them? Do you believe he was being unfair in one direction or another?

Not trying to bait anyone into an argument, just looking for a more nuanced opinion than 140 characters of namecalling. Seems like the latter is all Twitter is good for.
    Last edited by Steph; November 1 2014 at 06:54:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Well, after looking at the Interviews I can certainly see where the sentiment comes from (though it's a far stretch to actually claim david is "leading the hate mob" or being unfair)

my arguments for this ...

the choice of interview partners: it's brianna vs milo + two pro-#GG people ... so you might say that in his choice of guests there's already a bias ... which isn't per se a problem in itself, if the interviews themselves are done critically. while david tries to do so, his execution of this idea falls short.

topics discussed: half of the interview with brianna is about things she (allegedly) did. while david tried to ask in a neutral tone, his questions and the setting were loaded. it's one thing to have personal interest in the reaction to threats and harassment, but it's a rather different thing to do so in the context of a public show - especially with the follow-up questions. at the same time this is not only a "technical" question but also a political one ("to take a stand"). she's a target of online harassment and to bring up questions that are "of interest" for his audience, which may or may not be overlapping with the perpetrators of said harassment is ... not smart.

if you want to start a neutral discussion about #GG, doing so by starting off with actions of an individual in a stress situation is NOT a good way.

the milo-response interview. well, what should i say? interviewing populists is always difficult for journalists (i have seen enough interviews on our national TV where the same thing happened). the classical argument of "oh, i AM a feminist! but there are too many feminazis around that should finally shut up about discrimination" to argue one owns position as "moderate". this IS a dishonest statement and it going unchallenged is problematic. milo did an excellent job on reframing his position as "middle ground" without david challenging this (e.g. the network graph argument - being "geographically" in the middle DOES NOT equate to being ideologically in the middle, it just means that you're controversial to both sides). the rest of the show then becomes a "neutral view on the misconduct of brianna wu" ... well, as mentioned before, at best you end up in a "he said, she said"-situation, at worst you're washing other peoples (not even necessarily dirty) laundry. not a good start for a "neutral" debate on #GG.

i'd assume that most of the critique aimed at david stems from those two interviews and his nonchalance in some remarks where he seems surprised that questions in neutral tone aren't necessarily neutral questions.

with jennie and TB it becomes a bit more interesting as these aren't aimed at actions of individuals but "philosophical positions".

after watching jennies other videos on the topic of game culture and her short bits an games in academia i have to say i'm not exactly impressed by her arguments, e.g. "voice for the voiceless - the customers", the reliance on journalists to "speak for them"(sic!) as an argument for #GG. TB brings up the problem that sites like metacritic have too much influence and therefore game reviews shouldn't touch socio-political issues and only report on the "technical" aspects of games is rather ... dumb. questioning the power of specific mechanisms in the games industry is great - i fully support this. but to bring this up as an argument why game reviews have to be more similar to reviews for a vacuum cleaner than to a review of a movie, book or any other cultural artifact is at best short sighted, at worst idiotic. to go from "aggregate scoring is implemented badly and used wrongly" to "politics and cultural studies don't have a place in gaming journalism" is highly problematic - esp. considering the campaign to target advertisers for being "slighted".

the problem i got with david's "neutrality" is, that he doesn't ask the critical questions required to bring the discussion actually to a neutral place, but uses a tame and conforming way of questioning that *sounds* neutral but doesn't touch the consistency of the arguments.
    if TB's argument is the problematic aggregate scoring, the next question should actually be: "why then spend time arguing about politics in game reviews when the more relevant question should be: how can we topple aggregate scoring - ESPECIALLY if it's used in idiotic ways?"
    if the argument is that current games journalism doesn't speak for the consumer: "why does games journalism in general has to speak for the consumer? isn't this the role of consumer advocacy groups?" and "do we really need another IGN and gamespot?"

I know this isn't very serious, but I like this image for its confused thematics.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManFromDelmonte View Post
    I know this isn't very serious, but I like this image for its confused thematics.

The art is the #58th by Alejandro Argandona in a series of the people involved in GamerGate. Blue is pro, red is anti, grey is neutral. Other than his twitter there isn't a single depository so you'll have to google his name for more.

For those wonder what it means.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dorito-pope

When Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime came out against "a very small group of anonymous trolls" who are giving gamers a bad name with harassment and hate at Blizzcon Keighley tried to make it about GamerGate (still largest trending topic on twitter) during a livestream leaving Morhaime in a lose/lose awkward position (the wtf expression on his face during this the whole thing made you feel for the guy). Since then Morhaime has refused to comment on the livestream event or clarify himself further. People were shocked that Keighley not only tried to pull this, but that he later plugged his own games awards show during Blizzcon. This coming from the guy who helped produced the cringe worthy VGX awards show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1OGexjaP1U

Thanks for the source.

And yes. The "Macedonian nod" theory. in the interest of providing balance in this serious thread I will say that many people do actually believe it was about the anonymous death and rape threats directed against women in the game industry. The women gators keep talking about so much they invented shorter codewords for them.