hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' I am not good at naming these hardware thread, Feb '15

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

580 has almost 5000, while new cards OVER 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by Mona View Post
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

580 has almost 5000, while new cards OVER 9000!
    Thanks for the link.

Interesting. It seems in terms of value for money I could of done worse.

I can now also see why the FPS is dropping on newer games @2560x1600 with just this card.

Donor
    The 3GB 580 is still a fairly useful card, but any modern high end card will thrash it.

580 vs 980: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1351?vs=1350

580 vs 290X: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1350

I didn't find a proper general laptop thread, didnt wanted to hijack one.

I am tasked to find a laptop/ultrabook that is suitable for CAD, Revit and some (I guess light) 3D studio work. It should be able to handle them well, but I dont expect it to render whole scenes in mere minutes or something. It's a laptop after all and also needs to be affordable.
    Size - medium(?) which should be in the 14-15' range. As thinner/lighter as possible(viable) but its not a big concern.
    Price is negotiable, but its for a student so... nothing fancy.

Should Lenovo and Asus be my first picks?
    Thanks
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post

I am tasked to find a laptop/ultrabook that is suitable for CAD, Revit and some (I guess light) 3D studio work. It should be able to handle them well, but I dont expect it to render whole scenes in mere minutes or something. It's a laptop after all and also needs to be affordable.
    Size - medium(?) which should be in the 14-15' range. As thinner/lighter as possible(viable) but its not a big concern.

Thanks
    Could you swing http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-laptops ?

+1 for Dell Precision, warranty is awesome if you live in a country with next day support.

iTap&talk.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post

Thanks
    Could you swing http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-laptops ?
    Noice

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    +1 for Dell Precision, warranty is awesome if you live in a country with next day support.

iTap&talk.
    Looks like it, also german masterrace link - http://www.dell.com/de/unternehmen/p/precision-laptops

Any alternatives, something more on the ultrabook / more portable end of the spectrum? And/or notch lower on the price (the nice dells are in the 1000-1300 Eur range)? Wanna give different options
    Last edited by Tyrehl; October 17 2014 at 02:01:52 AM.
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Imho if you want an ultrabook to do 3D stuff, you can look at the Macbook Pro, I usually do my sketches and rough modelling on it and then run renders on my desktop machine. Its portability is second to none simply by considering its powerbrick is smaller than most phones nowadays, screens are great, etc. Obviously the 15 inch Retina model is preferred since it has the discrete video card. It also looks very nice if/when giving presentations, lot better than a Precision that's for sure at least for the audience (let's not start with that pls).

But as a workhorse, the Precisions are really the best, just make sure you put into it a decent Quadro and it's good to go. Also matte screen if you can help it, the glossy thing is horrible*.

*I solved the glossy Macbook problem by buying an iVisor thingie screen protector that turns the display into a matte one, best thing ever. You can get equivalents for other laptops as well, might as well check if there are some for the Dells as well. AFAIK the only IPS screens on the Dells come with the anathema of the gloss.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Imho if you want an ultrabook to do 3D stuff, you can look at the Macbook Pro, I usually do my sketches and rough modelling on it and then run renders on my desktop machine. Its portability is second to none simply by considering its powerbrick is smaller than most phones nowadays, screens are great, etc. Obviously the 15 inch Retina model is preferred since it has the discrete video card. It also looks very nice if/when giving presentations, lot better than a Precision that's for sure at least for the audience (let's not start with that pls).

But as a workhorse, the Precisions are really the best, just make sure you put into it a decent Quadro and it's good to go. Also matte screen if you can help it, the glossy thing is horrible*.

*I solved the glossy Macbook problem by buying an iVisor thingie screen protector that turns the display into a matte one, best thing ever. You can get equivalents for other laptops as well, might as well check if there are some for the Dells as well. AFAIK the only IPS screens on the Dells come with the anathema of the gloss.
    First question, what do you mean by "put a quadro in it"? Sorry, in the train and it's a bit hard to Google :s

Second question - re light 3d work:
    What do you do on your Mac book (I presume)?
    My guess is that whatever it is, it mostly hits the GPU and as long as the cpu is adequate / recent Intel, I shouldn't worry about i3/i5/i7? Or an i5 at least is preferable?

The last time I touched anything 3D was in school so I have no clue. But rough work 3D work sounds about right, I will explain that for actual rendering she should probably call me that said, how big do 3ds / CAD etc files get?

Also - probably obvious, but girl is an architect so I'm mostly concerned if her CAD tools run fine and smooth.

Something not as bulky (and powerful) as these precision Dell's would be preferable, but she wants Windows (7 - negotiable, not so bad if it comes with 8).

Well any precision you do buy should be with a quadro graphics card, it's one of the reasons to get one.

I do Max med anims, files can get as big as 20-100MB.

It hits cpu, gpu and ram. Trying lately to switch to Maya because it has a native mac client but max is still better for me. You can use Win on Macs either in a virtual machine with Parallels or via boot camp multiboot.

I'd say at least i5.

What software is she using? If it has Mac clients I'd say go with OS X, it's great in terms of actually using computing power, overhead and all. Eg random edit in photoshop, 8/16gb free on Mac, 10/32 free on win, disregard small background apps Win is retarded with resource usage.

iTap&talk.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Well any precision you do buy should be with a quadro graphics card, it's one of the reasons to get one.

What software is she using? If it has Mac clients I'd say go with OS X, it's great in terms of actually using computing power, overhead and all. Eg random edit in photoshop, 8/16gb free on Mac, 10/32 free on win, disregard small background apps Win is retarded with resource usage.

iTap&talk.

Oh quadro laptops, this will get expensive. At least for Dell they start at 1400 Eur :S I may need more budget oriented alternatives that sacrifice some rendering power.

As for software, Autocad 2013 and 3ds max only. And maybe Revit.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    If you can live with Intel HD 4400 graphics, i'd recommend Lenovo ThinkPad X series.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/

certified for the ISS.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Oh quadro laptops, this will get expensive. At least for Dell they start at 1400 Eur :S I may need more budget oriented alternatives that sacrifice some rendering power.
    ... the cheaper Dell precisions? Even the $1079 one has an i5, and a discrete 2gb firepro GPU. Though I would probably spring for 8gb ram.

Lenovo has like 15 lines of laptops. I'm sure they have a comparable one in there too.

For doing CAD and 3ds work I would not settle for integrated graphics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    ... the cheaper Dell precisions? Even the $1079 one has an i5, and a discrete 2gb firepro GPU. Though I would probably spring for 8gb ram.

Lenovo has like 15 lines of laptops. I'm sure they have a comparable one in there too.

Yeah definitely discrete GPU is first on the list. The 1k Dells look good except for the crappy hybrid HDD. I will check Lenovo and see if they can offer something similar for that price, but also with a proper SSD

Yeah definitely discrete GPU is first on the list. The 1k Dells look good except for the crappy hybrid HDD. I will check Lenovo and see if they can offer something similar for that price, but also with a proper SSD
    The nice thing about Dell Precisions... is that in about 60 seconds you can get to any internal component you may want to change or upgrade. IIRC my Dell Precision had support for 2 2.5" HDs that were both immediately accessible by removing the bottom panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post

The nice thing about Dell Precisions... is that in about 60 seconds you can get to any internal component you may want to change or upgrade. IIRC my Dell Precision had support for 2 2.5" HDs that were both immediately accessible by removing the bottom panel.
    Yeah my 5 years old Dell is amazing in that regard. The only thing I dont like about the precisions (except that they arent very girly but dealwithit) is the price tag. If it was for me, yeah ok but I have a decent job and all.
    Found some Thinkpads which are quite configurable, for around 900 Eur they offer mostly everything that is needed (i5, discrete GPU, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) and from there she can always take some compromises and lower the price a little. Just not sure about the situation with post-purchase upgrades and warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    AMD Low Budget October '14

As with the last AMD system, it's a cheap bare-ish system. However, MX100 SSDs are so cheap right now that it ALMOST makes sense to drop the harddrive, stick with the 256GB for now, and add a cheap graphics card. It's a system on a hard budget but for £400 you get a lot of PC.
    What kind of games can this play? Looking to build a low budget gaming system for a cousin.

edit: with a card http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QQXWK8

He has around 700$.
    Last edited by LoKiPP; October 17 2014 at 11:22:16 PM.
    I'm sure it's frustrating to be sperging about how someone said "no, not doing that yet" - but we've had 7 years to learn to pace ourselves after killing a block. And I dare say -- we've gotten quite good at it.

Sorry if it doesn't suit the armchair generals who have never committed to anything for more than 2 months, but by now we've learned that we really don't give a shit about what you think v0v.

I'd expect it to play most things at a reasonable standard - might struggle with the latest and greatest shooters on it's own, with a reasonable card it'd do better, BUT I feel like the Pentium system would do better than that with the same graphics card.

Using his budget:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Cm42zy

It's CPU-bound but not endlessly so. Also why does the US STILL do MIR? Anyway, that's a reasonable starting point.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Also why does the US STILL do MIR?
    Same reason they still sign for CC purchases and use a mag stripe I guess. To lazy to move onto better things.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

FirePro is shit for Cad but then again it's cheapo.

iTap&talk.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.