hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' I am not good at naming these hardware thread, Feb '15

Quote Originally Posted by Pacefalm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    The strange things that happen when you have an arbitrary goal set and no communication with the enduser. Dual 970's seem to be pretty special and that's what I am planning on doing when the Oculus hits (75 - 90 fps at 2560 x 1440) and i don't have to worry about SLI only working for full screen applications :/
    I heard somewhere that Oculus cannot into SLI/Crossfire for latency related reasons. Not sure if still accurate but perhaps worth investigating before spending moneys.
    So much for "buying high end card now, get another one when prices drop a bit, profit with Oculus. It'll be single card or bust, so I think I'll postpone upgrading from the GTX680 for the moment and wait for the probable 980Ti or smth. Hope they don't make it a thousand bucks again.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Aren't titans thousand-bux-but-not-really-for-games cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacefalm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    The strange things that happen when you have an arbitrary goal set and no communication with the enduser. Dual 970's seem to be pretty special and that's what I am planning on doing when the Oculus hits (75 - 90 fps at 2560 x 1440) and i don't have to worry about SLI only working for full screen applications :/
    I heard somewhere that Oculus cannot into SLI/Crossfire for latency related reasons. Not sure if still accurate but perhaps worth investigating before spending moneys.
    So much for "buying high end card now, get another one when prices drop a bit, profit with Oculus. It'll be single card or bust, so I think I'll postpone upgrading from the GTX680 for the moment and wait for the probable 980Ti or smth. Hope they don't make it a thousand bucks again.
    Thats interesting, though I can bet that is before the gfx manufacturers start looking at it. However my bet would be on AMD getting that sorted first they seem to have a good grip on and motivation to push forward the tech. Their cards also scale the best with resolution, DX12 / Mantle may well be game changers in this though a lot of latency and overhead is not in pushing pixels but in the draw calls, culling and scene set up that is all CPU dependent.

Very much expecting to see Oculus rift cards ($$) built with multiple GPU's and some specfic fiddles for stereo video and latency.
    Last edited by Tailn; October 14 2014 at 09:49:09 AM.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Is it even worth including optical drives anymore? The only time I used mine in the last 4 years is to install windows on my SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Is it even worth including optical drives anymore? The only time I used mine in the last 4 years is to install windows on my SSD.
    They are cheap as shit though.

Tapaderpin
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I use my to rip my DVD/BR collection.

£10 is £10 though, and on the midrange not worth including anything less than blu-ray really.

Jesus those 290x's are cheap! Might be worth spending the extra 30quid to get the msi twin frozr. Seems like its only Sapphire with the best coolers that are still pretty high.

Was considering the same question tbh. I lost the install disk for my current PC's optical drive when I upgraded to Windows 7 - four years ago - and have not once noticed.

Actually that's not true, I noticed precisely twice. Once when I went to reinstall SupCom and couldn't due to lack of disk, then said "Oh well, I guess I'll just plug my CD key into Steam and do it that way", and once when I wanted to watch my Firefly DVDs and then said "Oh well, I guess I'll just watch them on my PS3."

Anyway, cheapest BD-ROM readable drive in my region is $40, which I can't really justify. Might get a CD/DVD-ROM drive if I can find one for less than $15, otherwise not going to bother.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by yesmate View Post
    Jesus those 290x's are cheap! Might be worth spending the extra 30quid to get the msi twin frozr. Seems like its only Sapphire with the best coolers that are still pretty high.
    Hadn't noticed, but yeah wow. Now considering splurging a little extra for a 290 mah budget system. Cheapest is about $100 more than the 280 I'd had earmarked, but would mean upping the PSU to a 600W. Might not be a bad idea in of itself, if I decide I want to try my hand at overclocking.
    Last edited by Steph; October 14 2014 at 03:08:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Heard gtx 980/970 have horrible coil noise, "all of them" (citation needed). Comments/opinions? Was really considering one.

Sent via iPigeon.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Donor
    Heard gtx 980/970 have horrible coil noise, "all of them" (citation needed). Comments/opinions? Was really considering one.

Sent via iPigeon.
    Got the MSI 970. Quiet as a quiet thing. Bloody fan doesn't even turn on until the card hits 65 degrees.

My old R9 280x coil whined like a bitch. This is silent.

Magic.

Edit: Just double checked the fan thing during a furmark run. Fan off until 62 degrees, then turned on @ 40% speed. Temp rose gradually to 68 degs before bench finished. Fan went up to 46% speed during same time.

So yeah, definitely magic.
    Last edited by Damien Smith; October 14 2014 at 04:55:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralara View Post
    in my case it was bend over and cry in pain

Have also heard it was an issue but no experience with them. Can't be all all of them surely?

RE: CD drive. My next machine will be an ITX with either a slot drive or I'll just use an external one when needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

Getting really tempted by the 290x lightning for 320 quid. Anyone know of any issues that they might have and stop me spending money i shouldn't?

Suggestions on video card for 3x 2560x1440 monitors?

Should I be looking at SLI/Crossfire?

Currently running a HD6970 overclocked and its starting to drag ass at 1440p.

Should I wait for AMD's new generation? Not sure when they are coming out.

Main uses, 6 eve clients, KSP, BF4, whatever else.
    Last edited by Snake; October 14 2014 at 09:31:47 PM.

Sent via iPigeon.
    A quick google suggests some reference models have suffered from it. No more so than with any other launch, I don't think. I've never experienced coil whine bad enough to be noticeable on any card, but then I tend to avoid reference models.

Yes, optical drives are meh. I include them as a way to keep the budgets realistic. I have a blu-ray drive in my PC but since moving to a new place and having my PC in the living room it's kind of a waste, if I want to watch a blu-ray I watch it on the TV. It is useful to have to rip blu-rays though, and I'd probably not build a machine without some way to read optical discs.

Snake, you'd probably have to look at a multi-card solution. CrossFire scales better. You can wait if you want but if you do, something else will be on the horizon - always the way. What's your budget?
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Budget is $800 if a multi-card solution. My thought was with the R9-285 launch a replacement for the R9-290x will soon be on the way considering the holidays and all.

Also, my current build is a P67 mobo with only 1 16x lane, and 1 16x(4x electrical). Is it even worth running a multi-card solution on a setup like that or am I bascially looking at a whole new build. Apart from the graphics card everything still runs great after 4 years. I was hoping to hold out until skylake for a full PC upgrade.

Donor
    With that mobo your the simple option is a dual-GPU card, and the only one worth buying for a 3 x 1440p setup is the 295X2. There's no point in trying to run a second card in the 4x slot, that'll most probably perform worse than a single card.

Alternatively you may be able to replace the board with a Z68 or Z77 one that can do 8x/8x, but those are increasingly hard to get hold of these days.

290x is still not worth the premium over the 290 (it is what at most 5%) but damn those 290 prices are great, what a way to win back the value crown. I hope that AMD are still able to turn a profit on those cards (plus you get a star citizen mustang).

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Just read that 970/980's have been released. I honestly haven't looked at any hardware since I got my new build just under 3 years ago.

Went to compare my GPU to the latest on the Nvidia site and it's not even listed!

Just how much difference in performance is there between what I have now - 3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (MSI) - and the latest cards?

Purely for interest, I can neither afford nor see a reason to upgrade at this point.

Edited: to add I'm running a 2560x1600 monitor
    Last edited by Sarp; October 15 2014 at 08:47:27 PM.