hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 72 of 77 FirstFirst ... 226269707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1533

Thread: Zekk Pacus' I am not good at naming these hardware thread, Feb '15

Quote Originally Posted by Tordin Varglund View Post
    Getting myself a R7 1700 as soon as the bugs etc iron out. It will be a sad day when I finally power down the 2600k for the last time, but can hardly complain after 6 years of daily use.
    same same. 2500k has been an absolute trooper. R7 1700 looks like the gravy but i might wait for a 6 core and be cheap.

R5 article hat had been published a day too early by accident:
    https://i.imgur.com/UTHepzS.png
    https://imgur.com/a/FGkBF

The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to root again.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I really don't need to upgrade. A shame tbh.

Donor
    It's prudent to wait anyway. AM4 boards are still very raw and apparently AMD has an improved Ryzen stepping in the works (possibly fabbed at Samsung rather than GloFo) that will be out in a few months.

Just bought a steam link

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Just bought a steam link
    That stuff by now works reasonably well

(I run it through a NUC though)

I'm looking for a bit of informed speculation here: where do people see the desktop CPU market heading in the next year or so? I am jonesing real bad to upgrade my CPU, i5 4670k OC'd to 4.5GHz, which is still great but is bottlenecking GTA V at max settings, and also I run a Plex server off my PC so the hyperthreading of an i7 would come in useful when I'm transcoding and also playing games. I'd like to hit 5GHz on an i7, which would give me not only more grunt but the hyperthreading too.

So:
    Do we see Ryzen lighting a fire up Intel's backside to speed up its tick tocking? Are we expecting any kind of decent jump in performance of the next gen i7s?

I feel like this year isn't great time to buy an i7, or is it?
    MAX damage posting

I don't know, do you really need a new CPU?
    I have an 6x 4.3Ghz i7 5820k and still GTA V is not super fluent all the time.

I don't think you get a large benefit out of a upgrade as you think.

People just start to figure out how to optimize Ryzen.
    Both the consumers, who need to overclock the ram, which apparently give a great deal of speed boost: https://imgur.com/a/sbwqK
    But also the devs: https://community.amd.com/community/...unity-update-2
    Something something fixing abuse of nontemporal writes.

But the thing is, I doubt games who are released will get a rewrite ;-)

Not sure what you do with Plex, but maybe using GPU for encoding is an option? Or is it not for streaming for for archive?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    I'm looking for a bit of informed speculation here: where do people see the desktop CPU market heading in the next year or so? I am jonesing real bad to upgrade my CPU, i5 4670k OC'd to 4.5GHz, which is still great but is bottlenecking GTA V at max settings, and also I run a Plex server off my PC so the hyperthreading of an i7 would come in useful when I'm transcoding and also playing games. I'd like to hit 5GHz on an i7, which would give me not only more grunt but the hyperthreading too.

So:
    Do we see Ryzen lighting a fire up Intel's backside to speed up its tick tocking? Are we expecting any kind of decent jump in performance of the next gen i7s?

I feel like this year isn't great time to buy an i7, or is it?
    First of all, GTA V won't see the performance increases you'd like. It's just not well optimized on one hand and very much GPU bound on the other.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10968/...nce-champion/8
    You see an i7 7700k and even an AMD Vishera within 10% of each other.

If you have your Plex server running while gaming (someone else watching something?) you might actually see better performance from a 8core/16thread ryzen CPU than from a 7700k.
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...for-my-Server- has
    Single 1080p transcode: Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
    So with that I'd expect a 7700k to be the bottleneck if you have a new and well threaded game as well as playback at the same time. Mind, it will be a far cry from unplayable, the 7700k is a very good chip.

> Do we see Ryzen lighting a fire up Intel's backside to speed up its tick tocking?
    No. I see Ryzen lighting a fire up Intels backside regarding pricing. This might take a while, after all, Ryzen has only been released for a month (feels a lot longer, though) is seeing it's first improvements as the platform and software starts to shed the early problems and Intel might very well still be in a wait-and-see position. And intels mindshare is still very much dominant outside the nerds that actually follow the new CPU war.
    Also don't forget that there are probably a large number of OEMs out there that have bought Intel chips at price X and if Intel suddenly cuts prices by 30-50% (which is frankly what they have to do to stay competitive price wise) those OEMs will sit on a lot of expensive hardware.

> Are we expecting any kind of decent jump in performance of the next gen i7s?
    The short version is Nope.
    The long version is a merger of thoughts about
    - time since more than incremental improvements were necessary
    - time to deliver an actual product
    - product pipeline
    - smaller processes seemingly getting exponentially harder
    - institutional complacency bred by a decade of unchallenged leadership
    In the end, that comes together to "next gen maaaaybe", the gen after next probably.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

I think that CPU, assuming a good cooler and case air flow is going to be good for another 4-5 years Amantus. It's not like the naughties anymore (hell my i7-920 stock is still running ark very respectably all things considered).

In fact I am so impressed at the way it has responded to a rebuild with an all in one water cooler from corsair (cheapest one available) that I am looking to buy another one to give to my daughter. But the fucking things are huge money, especially the X58 motherboards!! (subtle WTB)

My fear in regards to the ryzen vs i7k is that intel just has a lot more slack - performance wise, unless AMD has somehow closed the R&D gap or intel has been even more slouchy and lazy than we all assumed. That, or that ryzen isn't the beginning of AMD's CPU resurgence, but the end of a long, 4-6 year cycle of development, with a new development cadence likely to continue on that scale.

I know absolutely nothing on this though, so feel free to educate me.

Donor
    There never was that much of an R&D gap. Intel has far more money to spend but they're limited because of their inherent conservatism; they generally won't try anything new unless someone else has done it first, so AMD beats them to the big innovations (x64, on-die IMC, native dual/quad dies, etc). And Intel has to produce a huge range of different designs to serve their markets, I can think off the top of my head of at least 13 different dies that Intel sells currently. Each of those needs a design team, lithography masks (which costs millions) and extensive validation.

AMD plans on serving the desktop, HEDT and server markets with just the one 8-core 'Zeppelin' Zen die. The amount they spend on that design probably isn't a world away from what Intel spends on a direct competitor like the 4-core Kaby Lake.

No, Intel's big advantage was always their fab technology. That is a *huge* money sink and historically Intel could invest enough to stay years ahead of AMD. But that's changing. AMD has gone fabless and the investment required for each new process node is so high now that foundries like GloFo and TSMC are catching up with Intel. I expect AMD to be able to mostly keep up with Intel from now on, although if Intel decides to do some limited quantity 'halo' parts like a 5GHz 4c/8t i7 then AMD probably can't match that.

Considering upgrading my CPU as I fear it is a bit of a bottleneck in my system (GPU is a 1080 Ti). I currently have a i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K 3,4GHz. It's 5 or so years old (if not older). Is it really a bottleneck?

I am considering a i5-7600K Kaby Lake or a i5-6600K Skylake. Additionally, what motherboard is recommended? I don't plan on doing any heavy OC and I don't care about fancy pancy LED lights.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Is it really a bottleneck?
    Yes but very little and only at 1080p, and may not be under DX12 or Vulkan. So if you are bottle necked spend the cash on a 1440p screen or ultra wide rather than CPU.

But that is only my opinion and I can not justify upgrading my I7 920 so take that with a grain of salt.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Is it really a bottleneck?
    Yes but very little and only at 1080p, and may not be under DX12 or Vulkan. So if you are bottle necked spend the cash on a 1440p screen or ultra wide rather than CPU.

But that is only my opinion and I can not justify upgrading my I7 920 so take that with a grain of salt.
    I have a UW and I'm gaming at 3440x1440.

Considering upgrading my CPU as I fear it is a bit of a bottleneck in my system (GPU is a 1080 Ti). I currently have a i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K 3,4GHz. It's 5 or so years old (if not older). Is it really a bottleneck?

I am considering a i5-7600K Kaby Lake or a i5-6600K Skylake. Additionally, what motherboard is recommended? I don't plan on doing any heavy OC and I don't care about fancy pancy LED lights.
    Don't go from a 2600k to an i5 anything. Slap a decent cooler on the 2600k, go in BIOS, put the core voltage to 1.4v and slap the CPU up to 4.8GHz. You'll have a processor that still keeps up with modern games just fine, and beats any modern i5 in many thread-aware games, which is finally getting somewhat commonplace and will only become more common in the future.

If you're going to upgrade from a 2600k, do it properly and get a 7700k or an R7 1700. Which one of those you chose is more tricky, and probably depends on your use and how long you plan to hold onto it tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

Hm. Going to try to OC it first then. Keep reading that actual gaming performance is somewhat similar between the i5 7600k and i7 7700k? Is this due to few-ish games supporting HT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hm. Going to try to OC it first then. Keep reading that actual gaming performance is somewhat similar between the i5 7600k and i7 7700k? Is this due to few-ish games supporting HT?

More to do with games not scaling well with multiple cores both due to game coding deficiencies (its hard work) game workloads not being particularly suitable for massive parallelisation (hmm whats the correct word) and DX11 being gimped. Hence more IPC and GHz before more cores, unless you are running multiple workloads simultaneously, this includes web pages and audio apps ts / spotify etc. not only heavy duty workloads like transcoding, video playback, compiling or Multiple EvE clients.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

They mostly do perform more or less the same, but there are more and more games that are coded to take advantage of the extra threads on an i7 these days so that I wouldn't recommend dropping those extra threads and go from an older 4c/8t i7 just to get a more modern 4c/4t.

Also came across this http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/28...700k-1700-more

Really does show how well a 2600k still keeps up with modern games, particularly in the 1% and .1% lows.

That said, you're running a 3440x1440 panel. You're going to be GPU limited 95% of the time anyway. I run a 5GHz 2600k and a GTX 1080, and regardless of running at 1080p or 1440p I'm still GPU limited the vast majority of the time, and the few times where I am running into CPU bottlenecks it's typically when the framerate is so high that it doesn't really matter anyway, or when the game is just poorly optimized to begin with and no amount of CPU grunt will keep up.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.