hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 69 of 79 FirstFirst ... 195966676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1572

Thread: Zekk Pacus' I am not good at naming these hardware thread, Feb '15

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Hi guys.

I have a Intel i7 5820k with a noctua nh-15d for over 2 years now.
    I'm not sure, but I think it's running hotter now then it did in the beginning. Could it be that I have to replace the thermal paste already? Or is the chance higher that I just remember wrong?
    I assume you've taken a hoover to the inside of the case to get rid of any dust stuck in the heatsinks?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Zekk Pacus' I am not good at naming these hardware thread, Feb '15

Actually, thermal paste should be replaced once in a while just to make sure it hasn't dripped around or it hasn't solidified unnaturally. Obviously if you did everything perfect and with top end paste just take a hoover to the case, see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

when my computer is overheating I just pour some water in the case it cools it down right away

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Actually, thermal paste should be replaced once in a while just to make sure it hasn't dripped around or it hasn't solidified unnaturally. Obviously if you did everything perfect and with top end paste just take a hoover to the case, see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    this isnt 2003.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

AMD becoming good again, what?

I'm considering buying a new PC but at this stage am essentially clueless; I haven't paid any attention to new releases for about 4-5 years. Any suggestions on where to start? (OP looks abandoned, or is it still relevant?)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    AMD becoming good again, what?

I'm considering buying a new PC but at this stage am essentially clueless; I haven't paid any attention to new releases for about 4-5 years. Any suggestions on where to start? (OP looks abandoned, or is it still relevant?)
    What will you be using the PC for and are you going to build it yourself?

phoneposting

Playing games mostly, and general internet shenannigans.
    Happy to build it myself, it's been a while but unless things have changed drastically it's pretty much like lego.

I don't really care about overclocking and the like for it's own sake, the main thing is I'd like something that can run things on highish settings without crying and preferably will last another 4-5 years before needing a kick.
    Last edited by Shaikar; March 2 2017 at 06:12:42 PM.

Well I wouldn't recommend one of the new AMD chips if you're not planning on doing something that can utilize all 8 cores. What's your budget and where would you be buying the parts online?

phoneposting

Practically this Ryzen 7 is the biggest shake-up in ~6 years, and Intel have already reacted by dropping their prices.
    I'd wait a few months if you can, and see what the mid-ranged Ryzen releases bring. No doubt some 4-6 core, 8-12 thread chip will be released with equal or possibly higher single thread burst clockspeed & performance, for less than the top-end 7 costs.
    If you won't/can't wait months, at least wait a few days/weeks and get a not-totally-bleeding-edge-investor price Ryzen, or be sure Intel doesn't follow up with an immediate additional price decrease. Or at least ensure you're paying the best price for an item, rather than any extra for sudden dip in availability/peak in demand. I imagine quite a few people have been waiting for this resumed price war. Now that most ambiguity is clearing up, triggers will be pulled on delayed purchases.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Well I wouldn't recommend one of the new AMD chips if you're not planning on doing something that can utilize all 8 cores. What's your budget and where would you be buying the parts online?
    I think things will look much better for Ryzen in games in a week or two when more in-depth and less rushed testing can be done. There's a fairly major issue at the moment that causes the 8-core Ryzens to lose performance when Windows moves a thread from one 4-core block to the other. This, along with BIOS memory timing bugs, is what's causing the performance drop in games. The fix is trivial, but very few reviewers knew about it.

Regarding my i7 5820k
    It does not run super hot, and the overclock is decent. I get 6x 4.1 Ghz up from the default 3.3 (or 3.7 with boost)
    But it's easily hitting 60 - 70 C
    People overclock the same chip to 4.5Ghz with similar cooling and getting less heat.
    I just remember mine never hitting 60 C .. but then again .. maybe I remember wrong.

Anyhow, I ordered Noctua NT H1 paste. Will make some before and after benchmarks.

Very in depth and chill ryzen review:
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Is U2715H still the go-to 27' 1440p IPS monitor? Its hovering around 450 eur and im considering grabbing one, mostly for work at home (2 monitors almost mandatory for dev job) and ofc for some 1440p gaming goodness.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Multi-monitors at 27" each?
    My U2515H has been great so far, very thin bezels too if I were to try fit multiple >24" things on a small desk.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I have 3x U2527H and love them, put do you really want to miss out on high herz and *sync? Or ultrawide?

I have one 24" dell, this 27 would be the new primary.

Edit: high refresh rate I don't care about, not playing csgo so I don't need the skill boost either huehue
    Ultrawide looks cool but my budget is 500 and ips with solid build is a must.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Regarding my i7 5820k
    It does not run super hot, and the overclock is decent. I get 6x 4.1 Ghz up from the default 3.3 (or 3.7 with boost)
    But it's easily hitting 60 - 70 C
    People overclock the same chip to 4.5Ghz with similar cooling and getting less heat.
    I just remember mine never hitting 60 C .. but then again .. maybe I remember wrong.

Anyhow, I ordered Noctua NT H1 paste. Will make some before and after benchmarks.
    It isn't necessarily the thermal paste (I use MX-1 for example).

Depends a lot on what motherboard you're using. I suspect I actually killed my 4930k with overclocking (voltage degradation) and I'm looking into what I did wrong (can't find anything tbh, which is awful). Usually it's the VTT that kills it, depends on the motherboard and RAM voltages as well (how stable they are etc).

Anyway, looking into getting a 4960X from somewhere and see if it can carry 64GB RAM better than this one could (my old deceased 4930k could do 4.1GHz). Dunno how good the new one will go, though, got some killer Elpida PSC RAM sticks to test it out and then work from there.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

I changed the thermal paste, did not change anything. At most 1 - 2 C

Encoding a h264 file again for 5 minutes + pre run.
    Stock clock with turbo to 3.6ghz

Current | Min | Max | avg

post thermal change. The room temperature might have been 1 - 2C higher Forgot to measure it.

CPU fans where fixed at 50%, case fans at 25%.

They could be lower but I'm not seeing a big problem with those load temps

phoneposting

yup, I think it's tine.

Adjusted fan cure, overclocked to 4.3ghz (did before, but never stable)
    Now I upped the voltage to 1.260

Cores stay under 70, average 61 to 67C.
    But package is 76c

Is that something to worry about?
    Currently rendering in blender and encoding with ffmpeg. Would have given my a bluescreen with my old overclock.

Aren't newer intel chips rated for 70C maximum? I know older Q6600/9550s could get quite hot with no problem but my current i5 was listed at a maximum load temperature of 70C from intels specs

phoneposting