hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 18586566676869707178 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1588

Thread: Zekk Pacus' I am not good at naming these hardware thread, Feb '15

Donor
    Intel's pricing strategy is completely determined by their market domination. They own around 90% of a static market so the only way for them to make extra money is to convince people to buy a more expensive chip. In that situation a £1000 part makes sense because most of them will be sold to the type of buyers who can't really justify a £4500 Xeon but the jump from a £425 6-core i7 to a £1000 8-core is no issue at all.

AMD is in a totally different position, their CPU business is basically dead at this point. So pricing low to get sales volume works for them, particularly given their contract with GlobalFoundries requires them to pay for a certain number of wafers even if they don't need them. If AMD's public benchmarks showing the top 8c/16t Ryzen equalling a 6900K are broadly correct then I'd expect that chip to sell for at most £450 or so, with a down-clocked 8/16 or a cut-down 6/12 part in the £300-350 bracket.

So a friend of mine wants to build an office/home PC. No real gaming so I assume the integrated card will work fine. I was thinking an i3 proc, 8GB a 120Gb SSD but I'm stuck on which mobo to buy. Any recommendations? The budget is 400-600€ total.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    So a friend of mine wants to build an office/home PC. No real gaming so I assume the integrated card will work fine. I was thinking an i3 proc, 8GB a 120Gb SSD but I'm stuck on which mobo to buy. Any recommendations? The budget is 400-600€ total.
    Do what every good friend does, talk him into spending twice that amount, because if you are already building a computer, you might as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    Do what every good friend does, talk him into spending twice that amount, because if you are already building a computer, you might as well...
    It's for his mom

Yeah well my mum got an i5 when I built her one 5 years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Why not get something on FM2+ those are little rippers

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Any H110 board with the right dimensions is probably fine.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    It's for his mom
    Mums should't have to deal with substandard FPS when playing Battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Any H110 board with the right dimensions is probably fine.
    Ye ended up doing that. I5 8gb of RAM and a h110 board from MSI. With a 240 GB SSD it was 510€ total.

I'm thinking of grabbing the I5 6500 with a MSi or ASUS B150 motherboard.

Can't really spare anything more then £300

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    don't think this has been posted anywhere?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38526705

looks neat, if lol gaming laptop

battery life of 5 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

Imagine whipping that out on a plane!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

Imagine whipping that out on a plane!
    no worse than the fat person or first time flyer i always get fucking lumped with

update, they've been nicked lmao

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38565913

fucking lol, love it when this kind of stuff gets nicked. Reminds me of when Canon or Nikon or someone had a preview of a new dslr get stolen from a tech show

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

ok bloods cpmputer is IN and IT WOKRS BYUT

When mounting the 1050ti I found that the rear of it was running into the cpu heatsink. The quick and nasty fix for it was to rotate the cpu heatsink so it's now vertical which got the GPU in but because this is a prebuild (HP 6300 full tower) the fan feeding the cpu heatsink is actually a case fan using a plastic duct which now does fuck all because the heatsink is facing the wrong way. I didn't think I could do this but my colleague said why the fuck not..

Surely the cpu socket and heatsink itself are standard LGA1155 right? Because in that case I could put a low profile AIO liquid cooler that would solve the clearance issue and keep the cpu nice and chilly.

phoneposting

I think I'm going to have to test the warranty on my monitor. Over the last week I've started getting a lot of image persistence if I leave the creek more than 10 minutes untouched. It fixes easily, and it's easy to NOT leave the screen immobile, but it m very certain this shouldn't be happening and is a bad sign for the longevity on this panel.

Annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    I think I'm going to have to test the warranty on my monitor. Over the last week I've started getting a lot of image persistence if I leave the creek more than 10 minutes untouched. It fixes easily, and it's easy to NOT leave the screen immobile, but it m very certain this shouldn't be happening and is a bad sign for the longevity on this panel.

Annoying.
    I had issues with image retention on an older 20" Dell Ultrasharp about...7(?) years ago...Mainly the action bar in World of Warcraft was almost burned in to the bottom of the screen.

Had the 3 year coverage with Dell and they sent another out and never had the same issue.

Yeah, figure it's a faulty panel. No issues for 2 months so was good enough to pass there QA process, but obviously not quite right. No biggie, I'll sort it Monday. It's perfectly usable in the meantime, but for a fucking expensive screen (big ass 4K one) it's just a pain.