hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 296976777879
Results 1,561 to 1,572 of 1572

Thread: Zekk Pacus' I am not good at naming these hardware thread, Feb '15

Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    Peltiers only help removing heat from the specific area it covers; the problem I see with the iMac Pro is that you just can't dissipate the overall amount of heat the internals generate, not without very, very high airflow fans - we're talking vacuum cleaner loud. Apple may have chosen to use the aluminium backplate as a heatsink, but I can't see that providing enough thermal mass. There are some really nice, cleverly designed uATX cases that mount the CPU and GPU against the wall of the case, which acts as a heatsink. But those have a lot more surface area than an iMac and still struggle with anything much over 250w.

A complete system with an 18-core Xeon and a 4096-shader Vega, even if the GPU is using an R9 Nano-type power profile, is going to be 400w+ easily. The only semi-viable option I can see is water cooling and some big copper plates embedded inside the rear chassis. That may be the reason they've soldered in the memory and not left an upgrade hatch. But it's Apple, so who knows.
    You're talking maximum thermal load and yes, that's a very big piece of machined aluminium. Peltier elements that are tiny are very easy to cool, mind you, mine was cooled by the laptop's chassis. You're not aiming sub zero, just a reasonable temperature. And their OS will certainly manage loads in such a way that thing never gets close to full load.

My late 2013 retina 15" MBP is sporting a 4800HQ and a GTX750M and it can get quite hot at times but I'm a master in loading the shit out of it, generally it's dead silent even when I'm doing lots of photo editing and exporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    Peltiers only help removing heat from the specific area it covers; the problem I see with the iMac Pro is that you just can't dissipate the overall amount of heat the internals generate, not without very, very high airflow fans - we're talking vacuum cleaner loud. Apple may have chosen to use the aluminium backplate as a heatsink, but I can't see that providing enough thermal mass. There are some really nice, cleverly designed uATX cases that mount the CPU and GPU against the wall of the case, which acts as a heatsink. But those have a lot more surface area than an iMac and still struggle with anything much over 250w.

A complete system with an 18-core Xeon and a 4096-shader Vega, even if the GPU is using an R9 Nano-type power profile, is going to be 400w+ easily. The only semi-viable option I can see is water cooling and some big copper plates embedded inside the rear chassis. That may be the reason they've soldered in the memory and not left an upgrade hatch. But it's Apple, so who knows.
    You're talking maximum thermal load and yes, that's a very big piece of machined aluminium. Peltier elements that are tiny are very easy to cool, mind you, mine was cooled by the laptop's chassis. You're not aiming sub zero, just a reasonable temperature. And their OS will certainly manage loads in such a way that thing never gets close to full load.

My late 2013 retina 15" MBP is sporting a 4800HQ and a GTX750M and it can get quite hot at times but I'm a master in loading the shit out of it, generally it's dead silent even when I'm doing lots of photo editing and exporting.

Yes, but forgive my ignorance? Peltier devices really only serve to shift the problem right? The laws of thermodynamics still exist. The heat has to go *somewhere* and that's what I don't understand? Does photo editing and exporting use a lot of power? I can't imagine it being that hard on a CPU in a consistent manner. Big spikes of power required, but not the hours of video rendering like what is suggested with that imac thing?

Please enlighten me because I feel like I am missing some info here.

Donor
    You're pretty much spot on. Peltiers are a very effective way of sucking heat out of a particular area; for example, if you have a chip with a badly attached heat spreader like some recent Intel CPUs. A Peltier can actually cool the heat spreader quite some way below ambient temperature, which drains heat from the chip much better than air or water could manage.

But they're not magic. That heat has to be radiated into the air by a heatsink of some kind. If the machine is continuously consuming 400w and the coolling system can only dissipate 300w then it's going to overheat at some point. Peltiers actually make that problem worse because to work effectively you need to pump in more power than the target chip is emitting, so cooling a 100w chip with a Peltier means having to dissipate over 200w into the air. That's why they are almost never used in computers; cheap heat pipes work well enough for the same purpose, but don't need extra power to operate.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple deals with this. A well designed cooling system can be amazingly effective, particularly if cost isn't a big issue. I have a water-cooled Radeon Pro Duo card in one of my machines that pulls close to 400w under full load - hairdryer territory with air cooling - but the card's excellent water block and big-ass radiator keep it nice and cool with very little noise. No space for a radiator like that in an iMac though, nor would Apple plonk the required oversize fan outlet on the exterior anyway.

Idk what you guys are about. In practice, without pushing the peltier to the max powa, however with full power on a CPU it isn't bad at all. Power inefficient yes. Theoretically you are indeed right. Practically you can make it work.

Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

So I updated my PC, and while doing it I did quite a lot of research towards re-writing this thread, since, you know, Ryzen and lots of other stuff has happened. However graphics card prices are in the shitter.

I might do it with MRRPs, since they should theoretically settle down at some point this year.

Or I might not bother. Do people still want these?
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Yes.
    I do at least, as I pay next to no attention to whats going on with hardware unless I want something; which is a rare enough occurance that everything I learned last time is wrong/irrelevant when time rolls around and researching things from that position is painful.

So if you have just done the research, please share.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    So I updated my PC, and while doing it I did quite a lot of research towards re-writing this thread, since, you know, Ryzen and lots of other stuff has happened. However graphics card prices are in the shitter.

I might do it with MRRPs, since they should theoretically settle down at some point this year.

Yees do it, ignore GPUs if you have to.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Absolutely mate

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

So do i.

Quackbot looking into self improvement these days, good on you

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post

Absolutely mate
    Mate so much mate.

Totally.

I still haven't upgraded yet. I need too.

All info greatly appreciated.