walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Then use a hacked Chromecast

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...nchmarkResults

I'd say that the r7 1700 would be just fine. They need to dig out an i7 6850K (price around 1300US$) to beat it. The i7 7700k is faster in most of those benchmarks but for one they were on March 3rd/9th (so very early ryzen platform). I'd expect the 1700 to be about even to the i7 7700K by now. However, your other activities of gaming would probably benefit more from the ryzen. Now the big question is would it be worth the upgrade (ie cost per performance increase)? And there I'd say take a look at the games you currently play. Probably yes. I mean since your photos have to get to your PC from somewhere, you'll probably love getting USB3.1

Also you might try disabling GPU acceleration for Lightroom as per https://www.reddit.com/r/photography...1800x/dejhknr/
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

So, my Ryzen build round-up:

Holy balls the way you push down & screw on the heatsink is horrible. The force required, the way it's pivoting on the CPU's outer covering (really awkward to get all 4 threads engaged & tightened down evenly), and the sound the spring-loaded screws make
    I really thought I was missing some risers (had to remove the legacy bracket hook pieces that were using the screw holes first, as the manual said to) or doing it wrong for a while, but all 4 bottomed out and it seems fine. Just 0 fun, feels terrible.

I simply cannot get Win7 to boot on Ryzen/this mobo. It's a totally fine Win7 64bit install, even tried installing the chipset (USB3, SATA, etc) drivers before booting it up on the new hardware, as well as trying setting it to finish said installs during bootup, but no dice.
    It'll do the first black-background part of the Windows boot, then the USB lights go out one at a time, then it reboots. I've tried AFAIK all combos of enabling/disabling legacy USB support, X/EHCI handover, etc.
    I remain able to boot that install up back on my old hardware.

Debian also has some issue booting with the 'stable' kernel, because it's 3.x. Installing the 4.11 one from Experimental while running on old hardware, along with kernel-base 4.5 from Jessie-backports, and it's good to go on Ryzen.

Win7 Home Premium legit key works to activate Win 10 Home apparently without issue or cost. Also you can still download the Win 10 ISO from MS directly, and burning the image to DVD works fine from Linux.
    Christ alive are the privacy defaults & Cortina + OneDrive shite.

I can now capture really high quality 1080p footage with AMD hardware accel for minimal system overhead. It's producing ~100MB/minute files with a constant quality setup (rather than fixed FPS or target bitrate).

Gigabyte's support is terrible. Their esupport site has a HTTP-only sign-in, and the responses have been utterly lacking in any technical info or useful actions. They won't even confirm or deny Win7 will work with this mobo, just saying that some people have had it work and some haven't, without even being clear that they mean this specific mobo, or Ryzen/AM4 + Win7 in general.
    Whatever their BIOS update system was doing in Win10 before the reboots was slow, but worked. 3 quick reboots later and it's done, should be hard to mess up with DualBIOS.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; May 19 2017 at 02:03:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Now that you mention it - I've been looking into replacing most of the iron in my box (mainboard, cpu, ram), and kind of forgot about the OS. Can I assume Win 10 will refuse to boot after I replace the mainboard? I've bought Win 8 back when it cost peanuts and later made use of the free upgrade option to 10; I have no idea where one would look for a legit image now >_>

I've kind of fallen out of touch with this aspect of PC building
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

I wouldn't expect Win10 to refuse to boot for any technical reasons, I'd assume it'd maybe complain about needing to be reactivated, possibly with revoking the old hardware.
    Your other thing to consider is partition types (MSB vs GPT) and UEFI CSM/legacy mode or not, & secure boot.

Then again, the reason Win7 won't boot is apparently purely politics, as people claim to have it running on AM4, so it's just a matter of MS making an update easy to apply to it before booting it on that hardware. Rather than their current policy of stopping any updates if such a modern CPU is detected...

Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    Now that you mention it - I've been looking into replacing most of the iron in my box (mainboard, cpu, ram), and kind of forgot about the OS. Can I assume Win 10 will refuse to boot after I replace the mainboard? I've bought Win 8 back when it cost peanuts and later made use of the free upgrade option to 10; I have no idea where one would look for a legit image now >_>

I've kind of fallen out of touch with this aspect of PC building
    Win 10 should be ok with your changed hardware. Worst case it does boot but assumes it's not activated. Then you have 30 days to activate it anyway. Simplest is online, which is basically click and done.

Should the online activation not work for whatever reason, you can ...

---- DISCLAIMER: this sounds like techsupport from the 1980s but I am not bullshitting you ----

... call the phone support hotline. It's an automated system that's build to service large numbers of customers and it's really really good. It'll get your license back to authorized within a few minutes.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Also, w.r.t. getting the Win 10 ISO, it's freely available but if you don't want to use the Media Creation Tool, you need to convince https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO that you're not using a device that'd support it. So it's trivial to get the direct ISO url from mobile or Linux, but not if you're using recent Windows...
    Also, the direct URLs expire after 24hours, so we can't just link you it here.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    You can link your Win10 licence keys to your Microsoft account too, but i suppose that is Haram for some forum users.
      Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...nchmarkResults

I'd say that the r7 1700 would be just fine. They need to dig out an i7 6850K (price around 1300US$) to beat it. The i7 7700k is faster in most of those benchmarks but for one they were on March 3rd/9th (so very early ryzen platform). I'd expect the 1700 to be about even to the i7 7700K by now. However, your other activities of gaming would probably benefit more from the ryzen. Now the big question is would it be worth the upgrade (ie cost per performance increase)? And there I'd say take a look at the games you currently play. Probably yes. I mean since your photos have to get to your PC from somewhere, you'll probably love getting USB3.1

Also you might try disabling GPU acceleration for Lightroom as per https://www.reddit.com/r/photography...1800x/dejhknr/
    Fantastic link, thank you. Game wise it's fairly standard shit. EvE / ARMA 3 / StarCitizen / latest new cool thing - BF,MEA etc.

I'm going to spend some time on this, but I'm now happy to entertain AMD which is a first for me.

I Went from a 5 GHz 2600k to a 3.8 GHz R7 1700 and I don't regret it for a second. And that's coming from someone primarily gaming on said system with a 1440p 144Hz panel and a GTX 1080. It does lag a little behind the 2600k in game like Squad and Rising Storm 2, but that's really the only two games I've come across, and they're both running on a single core where the clock speed of the 2600k comes into play. It's not much of a difference however, and beyond those it's been a dream. Even in games that are traditionally GPU limited I've noticed less stutter and random hiccups than what I had before, even if the distinction between the before and after product is merely going from very good to very very good in that case.
    It's only natural to be skeptical of the underdog when they've had nothing to show for so long, but to me this really does feel like the next big thing. I went over it in my head many times on the choice between the 7700k and the 1700, and while I can't say for sure that I wouldn't have been equally pleased with the 7700k, there is no denying that the 1700 is more than most people will ever need.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Then use a hacked Chromecast
    Actually it seems lately you don't need to hack the Chromecast to stream stuff, just install the Plex app on your smartphone, link it to your Plex server and the cast it from the smartphone to the Chromecast.

It used to be very difficult before they added Plex to the Chromecast app list. About streaming directly from the NAS, you can always put something together with a Raspberry Pi and XBMC for example, but you'll be lacking the remote unless you get one of those mini Bluetooth keyboards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

XBMC is now called Kodi, for some years now.
    There are images ready that you can directly use on an RaspPi. For example: https://libreelec.tv/
    You can even buy the Pi with a open/libre ELEC image pre installed.

I use a Remote with an USB receiver that a friend had laying around. Bluetooth keyboard works as well.
    I don't know if there is a decent remote app for smartphones.

Edit: This app look decent: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=org.xbmc.kore
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Apologies in advance, this type of question must be beyond mundane for the savy, but....

What real world advantages in layman's terms should I see between my current CPU - i7 2700k Sandy Bridge OC'd to 4.6Ghz against a Intel i7 7700K - (4 x 4.5 GHZ) - Kaby Lake - Oc'd to 4.8 GHZ ?

When using Lightroom the only core intensive workload is the exporting / conversion side of things. So both have 4 cores right? Is it just down to marginal efficiency gains between the two?

Thanks as always for your patience.

In theory there's potentially better efficiency of handling particular sequences of instructions, as well as more instructions per cycle, as well as faster cycles & more cache. Additionally they might support more single-instruction-multiple-values extensions which is how hardware acceleration can be ~2x-10x faster as certain specific (audio, visual, encryption) operations.

Practically, I'd forget about any current i7 upgrade (I'd expect they're ~10% better for the same clock speed) and look at getting an 8-12 core CPU, like a Ryzen 5, which for media transcoding is quite effective at linearly scaling with core count. So for a few hundred bucks you can get a whole new mobo, RAM (if you'd even need to) and 1/3 the workload times, or 200% quality and still be faster.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; May 25 2017 at 12:17:14 PM.