hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 5090979899100101 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2019

Thread: Windows 10: Just kidding guys, here's your start menu. I TROL U?

  1. #1981
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Oh for fucks sake.
    Customers using Windows Update for Business will lose some ability to delay the deployment of each new Windows feature release once version 1903 goes live.
    LTSB it is.

    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...lled-out-again
    Jesus Christ are these people retarded? Every damn time they did this there was an uproar from people losing access to their machines due to some unforeseen bug that bricked their install and they still don't learn. Not to mention other issues that creep up.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  2. #1982
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Any way to set custom warning for drives full?

    Not that I know of. It's 10% hard coded.. Our old exchange server used to complain when it only had 4TB left on its disk....
    There was a way to get additional settings for windows, forgotten how it was done.
    And it had way to edit these settings.

  3. #1983

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    4,483
    You ain't talking "God mode", aren't ya?

    A quick glance didn't reveal any obvious setting, though.

  4. #1984
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    You ain't talking "God mode", aren't ya?

    A quick glance didn't reveal any obvious setting, though.
    Thats what it was called.

  5. #1985
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Oh for fucks sake.
    Customers using Windows Update for Business will lose some ability to delay the deployment of each new Windows feature release once version 1903 goes live.
    LTSB it is.

    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...lled-out-again
    Jesus Christ are these people retarded? Every damn time they did this there was an uproar from people losing access to their machines due to some unforeseen bug that bricked their install and they still don't learn. Not to mention other issues that creep up.
    Microsoft over the last couple of years have been slowly taking away control. I sort of get the idea because if everyone is running the same version of windows then there are less issues and issues are easier to resolve, but there are also reasons why companies don't fucking trust microsoft to not fuckup an update......
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  6. #1986
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Oh for fucks sake.
    Customers using Windows Update for Business will lose some ability to delay the deployment of each new Windows feature release once version 1903 goes live.
    LTSB it is.

    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...lled-out-again
    Jesus Christ are these people retarded? Every damn time they did this there was an uproar from people losing access to their machines due to some unforeseen bug that bricked their install and they still don't learn. Not to mention other issues that creep up.
    Microsoft over the last couple of years have been slowly taking away control. I sort of get the idea because if everyone is running the same version of windows then there are less issues and issues are easier to resolve, but there are also reasons why companies don't fucking trust microsoft to not fuckup an update......
    Imo it's a bit dumb. OS X doesn't do it, however you could argue there are only a few hardware configurations so less issues can creep up (not so considering the software you have installed tho, but they may be differently coded, who knows, I'm not a programmer).

    However Linux doesn't do it either, and you could argue Linux is literally running on the same platforms as Windows is?



    Control is p. much what you should have over an OS, regardless of the hardware or software variations. I don't argue against lack of control over updates as long as you can turn the damn things off for obvious reasons - production critical systems, for once. More than once, I've seen the computers on my hospital ward update Windows almost all at once, literally paralysing us from doing anything (notes, prescribing, checking bloods results and so on). It's even more "hilarious" to see it happen in the emergency department.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  7. #1987

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    6,646
    However Linux doesn't do it either, and you could argue Linux is literally running on the same platforms as Windows is?
    Linux is a massive fucking mess.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

  8. #1988
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Oh for fucks sake.
    Customers using Windows Update for Business will lose some ability to delay the deployment of each new Windows feature release once version 1903 goes live.
    LTSB it is.

    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...lled-out-again
    Jesus Christ are these people retarded? Every damn time they did this there was an uproar from people losing access to their machines due to some unforeseen bug that bricked their install and they still don't learn. Not to mention other issues that creep up.
    Microsoft over the last couple of years have been slowly taking away control. I sort of get the idea because if everyone is running the same version of windows then there are less issues and issues are easier to resolve, but there are also reasons why companies don't fucking trust microsoft to not fuckup an update......
    Imo it's a bit dumb. OS X doesn't do it, however you could argue there are only a few hardware configurations so less issues can creep up (not so considering the software you have installed tho, but they may be differently coded, who knows, I'm not a programmer).

    However Linux doesn't do it either, and you could argue Linux is literally running on the same platforms as Windows is?



    Control is p. much what you should have over an OS, regardless of the hardware or software variations. I don't argue against lack of control over updates as long as you can turn the damn things off for obvious reasons - production critical systems, for once. More than once, I've seen the computers on my hospital ward update Windows almost all at once, literally paralysing us from doing anything (notes, prescribing, checking bloods results and so on). It's even more "hilarious" to see it happen in the emergency department.
    There are legitimate reasons for just completely disabling the updates as well. We are toying with rolling out VDI and I don't want all the VMs updating every time a user logs in only so they can kick the user out and destroy themselves by rebooting.. I update the base image and roll it out to everyone once its stable. Microsoft are back in the 'one solution' mindset and currently they are only looking at home users.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  9. #1989

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    4,483
    Remeber when MS always got blamed for their insecure OS, when again another malware exploited something ... only that MS had it fixed ages ago, but no one bothered to update the machines? And yes, that includes corporate machines, too.

    For MS it's a case of damn if you do, damn if you don't.

  10. #1990
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    However Linux doesn't do it either, and you could argue Linux is literally running on the same platforms as Windows is?
    Linux is a massive fucking mess.
    Well, according to Linux users it is not so bad. I agree that for people wanting to switch from another OS it is a bit horrible, though and it depends a lot on what you want to use it for. Idk about smol business/corporate usage, it seems p. popular in some places.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  11. #1991

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    12,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Well, according to Linux users it is not so bad.
    Linux users are some of the dumbest most annoying entirely too vocal shitters on the internet though. Fitting with FHC i guess.
    Last edited by Isyel; March 5 2019 at 10:01:23 AM.

  12. #1992
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Well, according to Linux users it is not so bad.
    Linux users are some of the dumbest most annoying entirely too vocal shitters on the internet though. Fitting with FHC i guess.

  13. #1993
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,434
    Not all of them are, though. Albeit I do have a friend that thinks he rediscovered hot water in the Raspberry Pi and is now on a quest of building a table thingie out of a TV and a Pi and random stuffs. I'm cheering on the sides although I doubt that ARM CPU can handle decent applications and he's hyper vocal it's fantastic. Should be fine for D&D maps or a random looping animation I suppose tho
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  14. #1994
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,665
    The pi is shockingly good for something of it's cost.. Linux is also pretty perfect for it because you can (given enough time and know-how) actually make an OS for it that won't try and take all the system resources or thrash your SD card.

    I guess that's the key though. Time and effort gets you better results. Windows is the low effort one size fits most OS.

    Edit: I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I doubt 95% of people really want to spend most of their working day fighting their OS to get the most out of their hardware when 90% is more than enough.
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; March 6 2019 at 08:45:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  15. #1995
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,434
    I'm unsure if you installed a Raspbian recently. I don't have the latest Pi, however the 1st and 2nd gen are like going back to the 286 age when everybody else had a Pentium. It's good for niche applications, but now my friend adds in gesture controls peripherals and similar shit that doesn't work properly even when properly engineered and driven (Leap Motion is fine for the most part when paired with a good system, but I sincerely doubt 3rd party clones/similar things go well with an ARM CPU and USB 2.0).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  16. #1996

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    12,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    I doubt 95% of people really want to spend most of their working day fighting their OS
    You just described why it's awful perfectly. The OS is there to let you do other things. If you have to fight it all the time to do something it's terrible and not doing its job.

    Of course this is all massive hyperbole, obviously it is, but goddamn. I've seen enough smugness and terrible outdated advice online related to linux based things it's amazing.
    Last edited by Isyel; March 18 2019 at 11:25:40 AM.

  17. #1997
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    I doubt 95% of people really want to spend most of their working day fighting their OS
    You just described why it's awful perfectly. The OS is there to let you do other things. If you have to fight it all the time to do something it's terrible and not doing its job.

    Of course this is all massive hyperbole, obviously it is, but goddamn. I've seen enough smugness and terrible outdated advice online related to linux based things it's amazing.
    This has been pretty much my experience with Linux forever. It's perfectly capable of doing everything you just have to know how to do it.

    I mean even with web browsing previous versions of Ubuntu out of the box didn't have flash support. Go to a web site that needed it and you are greeted by that lovely missing plugin icon. In every other OS you just click on the icon and it takes you to the downloader. In Ubuntu you can't do that and instead have to add the non-free repository, find it in there and install it.

    Now I work in IT, I can comprehend how to do that and why you have to do it that way. We have a couple of users that needed instruction on how to attach a file to email. They wouldn't stand a chance with this.

    You might say the OS isn't for them, but if it's not for them then it can't be for business, which means it won't be for most users which means it will remain niech.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  18. #1998
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,434
    Honestly since I've been using OS X I find Windows cumbersome not because of the updates and what not, but because of its lack of Terminal. The shit you can do with a few lines is just mindboggling.

    If somebody says "but Powershell", please show yourself out
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  19. #1999
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Honestly since I've been using OS X I find Windows cumbersome not because of the updates and what not, but because of its lack of Terminal. The shit you can do with a few lines is just mindboggling.

    If somebody says "but Powershell", please show yourself out
    JustCosminThings


    And i do mean Just Cosmin

  20. #2000

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    4,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Now I work in IT, I can comprehend how to do that and why you have to do it that way. We have a couple of users that needed instruction on how to attach a file to email. They wouldn't stand a chance with this.
    We have those users, too. They struggle with every OS, no matter what. They can't even answer the question with which OS they're currently working. This is more of a corporate culture issue here than a user one, IMHO. Yeah, they know nothing - so HR, how about you offer basic training? I'd personally even go so far and make that mandatory.

    See, I'm no HR drone, so this doesn't fall within my realm of knowledge naturally. But even to me the facts have made their way that well trained/educated employees = more productive (aka "profitable") employees. Now, if even I know that, but our company does nothing at all to further the training/education of its employees ... yeah, guess once how that works out.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •