hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 114 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1464104111112113114115 LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 2282

Thread: Windows 10: Just kidding guys, here's your start menu. I TROL U?

Just trying to offer low pain solutions. FOSS OSs are our true savior.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Just trying to offer low pain solutions. FOSS OSs are our true savior.
    2021 is truly the year of the Linux Desktop.
      Spoiler:

on windows
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

I've never had windows demand an update on anything but work laptops where update scheduling is managed by IT, and even then I can snooze it for 12 hours.

Here's the solution to all of your Windows Update problems:

Don't let your machine run for decades on end! Properly shut Windows down, if you stop using your machine, ffs!

Or how MBAs would put it: "Proactively manage and engage your Windows experience ..."

See, isn't that hard. If updates are pending, they're installed then. Problem solved.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Here's the solution to all of your Windows Update problems:

Don't let your machine run for decades on end! Properly shut Windows down, if you stop using your machine, ffs!

Or how MBAs would put it: "Proactively manage and engage your Windows experience ..."

See, isn't that hard. If updates are pending, they're installed then. Problem solved.
    BUT MUH UPTIME STATS
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Honestly my uptime doesn't go beyond 10 days at most because something strokes out. It's either Glasswire or Github desktop or the VPN client or something else. No amount of debugging and trying to fix any of it works but a restart magically resolves all the problems. Fuck knows why, I sincerely think lately that Windows is for masochists (who also like gaming).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I wouldn't care if it eventually started doing notification pop-ups with klaxons every 15 minutes until the end of time, uptime wasn't that important to me. It was being able to say "Whatever you do, don't restart until I say so." and believe that it would actually do that.

The feature that lets you pause updates completely for a few weeks has mostly resolved the issue for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Have you tried setting a sized max active hours window, and shifting the inactive one to something like 2am-8am?
    The mystery of why you would be coerced in having to do this by the operating system is simply beyond me. This is some HAL-9000 levels of dystopia we're living through.
    Having to engage with the OS as if it were malware is exactly what I got tired of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Remember the pre Windows 10 days, when MS regularly issued security patches, but no one could be bothered to install them, hence we had the botnet puppet masters' wet dreams come true. This is why we have to deal with this shit now. Blame no one else than those that obviously still today can't be arsed to shut their machine down, if they no longer use it.

Also, please enlighten me: What reason, except the need to access the machine remotely, is there to let it run while you're not using it? Are you all constantly rendering videos or rip DVDs or what exactly is it in the days of SSDs-making-booting-fast that these machines can't be turned off?

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Also, please enlighten me: What reason, except the need to access the machine remotely, is there to let it run while you're not using it? Are you all constantly rendering videos or rip DVDs or what exactly is it in the days of SSDs-making-booting-fast that these machines can't be turned off?

I HAVE THE PROGRAMS OPEN JUST THE WAY I LIKE

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Reminder: MS's FOSS PowerToys has FancyZones to ease restoring windows to arbitrary positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Reminder: MS's FOSS PowerToys has FancyZones to ease restoring windows to arbitrary positions.
    Implying users can use regular tools, let alone powertoys

Remember the pre Windows 10 days, when MS regularly issued security patches, but no one could be bothered to install them, hence we had the botnet puppet masters' wet dreams come true. This is why we have to deal with this shit now. Blame no one else than those that obviously still today can't be arsed to shut their machine down, if they no longer use it.

Well we wouldn't have that shit if the devs focused on making an actually secure OS instead of launching it in a disastreous state and then spending time patching crap they forgot about/left out/put in without thinking. Also remember that a lot of OS out there don't need a restart after every damn update.

My machine is also serving multimedia content to my TV and other crap so if I want to fall asleep watching a movie the machine needs to be on and no I don't want to set it to auto shutdown (implying that would be possible on the trash heap that Windows is; fake edit: it is). There are also the render jobs that I mostly queue over night because I don't enjoy watching my PC churn with 100% CPU usage and being unable to do anything really. Or simulations that don't require any user input over set times are ideally ran over night as well.

As Malcanis said, it's mostly just having to deal with your OS as it were malware that is absolutely exhausting. Imagine not even Apple doesn't fucking auto-restart your 3000$ facebook machine because OMGUPDATE. Granted they have less vulnerabilities but some are quite serious and would require installation asap, still.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post

This is why I sleep my PC instead of shutting it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post

This is why I sleep my PC instead of shutting it down.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    When i got my main computer back in 2012, I installed Windows 7. I did a early access upgrade to Windows 10, and have been using some insider ring for early updates since. I've even replaced most of the hardware, which means that the oldest part of my computer is probably the Windows install. It has not broken yet.

But I turn my computer off in the evening like a normal person.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    But I turn my computer off in the evening like a normal person.
    I am sure there are plenty more people like you around here

And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Much fuzz about nothing? Yes, it's the famous DeCSS ... but then again it's just a run-of-the-mill false positive. Something that happens on a regular basis. And instead of writing a long winded article about it, the author(s) should have better contacted MS and informed them about the false positive.

The 4-5 times I bothered to contact the respective AV company and reported a false positive, I got a "thank you, will be fixed in the next signature update" from an actual human back within typically less than 1 business day.

And that it goes ahead and deletes it after it's specifically whitelisted?

Edit: Also how that hell does DeCSS get "run of the mill false positived" after twenty years?