hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 114 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1464104111112113114115 LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 2282

Thread: Windows 10: Just kidding guys, here's your start menu. I TROL U?

  1. #2261
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    13,002
    Just trying to offer low pain solutions. FOSS OSs are our true savior.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  2. #2262

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    7,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Just trying to offer low pain solutions. FOSS OSs are our true savior.
    2021 is truly the year of the Linux Desktop.
      Spoiler:

    on windows
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

  3. #2263
    Straight Hustlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    10,697
    I've never had windows demand an update on anything but work laptops where update scheduling is managed by IT, and even then I can snooze it for 12 hours.

  4. #2264

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,988
    Here's the solution to all of your Windows Update problems:

    Don't let your machine run for decades on end! Properly shut Windows down, if you stop using your machine, ffs!

    Or how MBAs would put it: "Proactively manage and engage your Windows experience ..."

    See, isn't that hard. If updates are pending, they're installed then. Problem solved.

  5. #2265
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Here's the solution to all of your Windows Update problems:

    Don't let your machine run for decades on end! Properly shut Windows down, if you stop using your machine, ffs!

    Or how MBAs would put it: "Proactively manage and engage your Windows experience ..."

    See, isn't that hard. If updates are pending, they're installed then. Problem solved.
    BUT MUH UPTIME STATS
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  6. #2266
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    Event Horizon
    Posts
    7,561
    Honestly my uptime doesn't go beyond 10 days at most because something strokes out. It's either Glasswire or Github desktop or the VPN client or something else. No amount of debugging and trying to fix any of it works but a restart magically resolves all the problems. Fuck knows why, I sincerely think lately that Windows is for masochists (who also like gaming).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  7. #2267

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Embracing Mediocrity
    Posts
    3,297
    I wouldn't care if it eventually started doing notification pop-ups with klaxons every 15 minutes until the end of time, uptime wasn't that important to me. It was being able to say "Whatever you do, don't restart until I say so." and believe that it would actually do that.

    The feature that lets you pause updates completely for a few weeks has mostly resolved the issue for me though.

  8. #2268
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Have you tried setting a sized max active hours window, and shifting the inactive one to something like 2am-8am?
    The mystery of why you would be coerced in having to do this by the operating system is simply beyond me. This is some HAL-9000 levels of dystopia we're living through.
    Having to engage with the OS as if it were malware is exactly what I got tired of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  9. #2269

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,988
    Remember the pre Windows 10 days, when MS regularly issued security patches, but no one could be bothered to install them, hence we had the botnet puppet masters' wet dreams come true. This is why we have to deal with this shit now. Blame no one else than those that obviously still today can't be arsed to shut their machine down, if they no longer use it.

    Also, please enlighten me: What reason, except the need to access the machine remotely, is there to let it run while you're not using it? Are you all constantly rendering videos or rip DVDs or what exactly is it in the days of SSDs-making-booting-fast that these machines can't be turned off?

  10. #2270
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    5,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Also, please enlighten me: What reason, except the need to access the machine remotely, is there to let it run while you're not using it? Are you all constantly rendering videos or rip DVDs or what exactly is it in the days of SSDs-making-booting-fast that these machines can't be turned off?

    I HAVE THE PROGRAMS OPEN JUST THE WAY I LIKE





    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

  11. #2271
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    13,002
    Reminder: MS's FOSS PowerToys has FancyZones to ease restoring windows to arbitrary positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  12. #2272
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    5,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Reminder: MS's FOSS PowerToys has FancyZones to ease restoring windows to arbitrary positions.
    Implying users can use regular tools, let alone powertoys



    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

  13. #2273
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    Event Horizon
    Posts
    7,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Remember the pre Windows 10 days, when MS regularly issued security patches, but no one could be bothered to install them, hence we had the botnet puppet masters' wet dreams come true. This is why we have to deal with this shit now. Blame no one else than those that obviously still today can't be arsed to shut their machine down, if they no longer use it.

    Also, please enlighten me: What reason, except the need to access the machine remotely, is there to let it run while you're not using it? Are you all constantly rendering videos or rip DVDs or what exactly is it in the days of SSDs-making-booting-fast that these machines can't be turned off?
    Well we wouldn't have that shit if the devs focused on making an actually secure OS instead of launching it in a disastreous state and then spending time patching crap they forgot about/left out/put in without thinking. Also remember that a lot of OS out there don't need a restart after every damn update.

    My machine is also serving multimedia content to my TV and other crap so if I want to fall asleep watching a movie the machine needs to be on and no I don't want to set it to auto shutdown (implying that would be possible on the trash heap that Windows is; fake edit: it is). There are also the render jobs that I mostly queue over night because I don't enjoy watching my PC churn with 100% CPU usage and being unable to do anything really. Or simulations that don't require any user input over set times are ideally ran over night as well.

    As Malcanis said, it's mostly just having to deal with your OS as it were malware that is absolutely exhausting. Imagine not even Apple doesn't fucking auto-restart your 3000$ facebook machine because OMGUPDATE. Granted they have less vulnerabilities but some are quite serious and would require installation asap, still.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  14. #2274
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Also, please enlighten me: What reason, except the need to access the machine remotely, is there to let it run while you're not using it? Are you all constantly rendering videos or rip DVDs or what exactly is it in the days of SSDs-making-booting-fast that these machines can't be turned off?

    I HAVE THE PROGRAMS OPEN JUST THE WAY I LIKE
    This is why I sleep my PC instead of shutting it down.

  15. #2275
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    5,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Also, please enlighten me: What reason, except the need to access the machine remotely, is there to let it run while you're not using it? Are you all constantly rendering videos or rip DVDs or what exactly is it in the days of SSDs-making-booting-fast that these machines can't be turned off?

    I HAVE THE PROGRAMS OPEN JUST THE WAY I LIKE
    This is why I sleep my PC instead of shutting it down.



    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

  16. #2276
    walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Posts
    6,960
    When i got my main computer back in 2012, I installed Windows 7. I did a early access upgrade to Windows 10, and have been using some insider ring for early updates since. I've even replaced most of the hardware, which means that the oldest part of my computer is probably the Windows install. It has not broken yet.

    But I turn my computer off in the evening like a normal person.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

    Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs

  17. #2277
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    Event Horizon
    Posts
    7,561
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    But I turn my computer off in the evening like a normal person.
    I am sure there are plenty more people like you around here
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  18. #2278
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  19. #2279

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,988
    Much fuzz about nothing? Yes, it's the famous DeCSS ... but then again it's just a run-of-the-mill false positive. Something that happens on a regular basis. And instead of writing a long winded article about it, the author(s) should have better contacted MS and informed them about the false positive.

    The 4-5 times I bothered to contact the respective AV company and reported a false positive, I got a "thank you, will be fixed in the next signature update" from an actual human back within typically less than 1 business day.

  20. #2280
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,360
    And that it goes ahead and deletes it after it's specifically whitelisted?

    Edit: Also how that hell does DeCSS get "run of the mill false positived" after twenty years?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •