hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 36768384858687 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1724

Thread: Windows 10: Just kidding guys, here's your start menu. I TROL U?

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Possibly some Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) driver issue? Or a need to now do a BIOS update to match the other half of the system to a changed/corrected OS portion?
    Ok, there actually was a (One month) newer BIOS version.
    That and the combination of messing around with the settings did the trick.

In the end I don't know what it was, but it works now.

Thanks
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Op success!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I need some help ... propably from IT-guys who fight with right-management all the time.

So ... i have an older Laptop here that i violated with Win10. So far so good and it actually runs quite smooth.

Now, it has some Special-Buttons (like open Webbrowser, Email and some "Acer Empowering Programm") that i can configure with a program from Acer called "Launch Manager" that despite its age works under Windows 10. I can configure those buttons to either a programm, any file (like a txt or bat) or to a web-adress.

So i wanted to make that button somewhat useful and link a program like SnippingTool or the MobilityCenter ... BUT it doesn't work since these programms *.exe's are in the /system32 file and Win10 seems to block any remote access to those files.

What i tried:
    Starting everything as Admin.
    Created a batch file that simply says "start myprogramm.exe". The special-button starts the batch-file but the batchfile wouldn't start the programm. If i personally doubleclick on the batchfile, everything works.
    Tried the same with a link. And with a batchfile that opens the link.

Any ideas?

You want to use a custom key via to run Calc.exe, snip.exe or whatever ?
    Have you tried using a macroeditor / special custom key program to run them ? - I run remote programs from /system32 all the time and they ain't restricted like that.
    ( this has a good rep apparently: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/keytweak.html )

*or try disabling UAC first.

or look in event log / program log for a reason ?

Those Acer/manufacturer specific programs are cancer.
    Last edited by Itiken; November 3 2017 at 04:43:59 PM.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    *or try disabling UAC first.
    This is always the wrong answer.

Disabling UAC is a bad solution.
    Temporarily disabling it to see if an application is being shit isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortess View Post
    So i wanted to make that button somewhat useful and link a program like SnippingTool or the MobilityCenter ... BUT it doesn't work since these programms *.exe's are in the /system32 file and Win10 seems to block any remote access to those files.
    I'm currently not on a Win10 machine, but I find that conclusion somewhat doubtful. Windows restricts access according to the process owing user. So as long as you have the right permissions to start the Snipping Tool directly, any program that you start and that then starts Snipping Tool, should inherit your rights. Except if that Launcher app does something weird, i.e. it's only a GUI to a service that then starts the application and that service starts under another account.

That said: have you tried launching the link to the Snipping Tool (in the Start menu) instead of directly calling the EXE?

As for disabling UAC: what Overspark said.

lol

Yes I tried the detour by starting it via link. Even via link via batch.

I tried to start that launchmanager as admin, but the same.

When I try it via batch, it says "Zugriff verweigert" / "Access denied" in the command window.

Might try the route with some other key program. But I assume that those special buttons are only usable by that launchmanager app.

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortess View Post
    Might try the route with some other key program. But I assume that those special buttons are only usable by that launchmanager app.
    They're probably not though. Buttons like that just usually produce weird scancodes that are normally ignored, but any program that's made to pick up all the scancodes can deal with them. Usually.

Tested keytweak. The Buttons give codes and the mentioned key gives 57460

Unfortunately keytweak dies not give me the option to reassign keys to a program.

edit
    So now I wanted to use autohotkey to start any program I wanted. BUT I can't find out what that key is called since the key history of autohotkey doesn't work.

Edit2
    Ok, now it works. Virtual key is FF and scancode 174
    Now to use that in the ahk script
    Last edited by Cortess; November 4 2017 at 03:52:39 PM.

You know, for starting programs, there's an easier way without any 3rd party software:

1) Copy/Create shortcut to pregram on desktop
    2) Rightclick -> "Eigenschaften", Tab "Verknüpfung"
    3) In the lower half, there's an entry "Tastenkombination" -> but in something you like and that doesn't interfere with other programs. I settled for CTRL + ALT + <Letter>, i.e. CTRL + ALT + F for FAR Manager.
    4) Done. Whenever you know press that key combination, the program starts.

Yes i know, but i wanted to make use of those special-buttons on this laptop.

I thought AHK was the solution, but unfortunatly it doesn't work in conjunction with that launch-manager which i need so that various FN-Keys give a message on the screen (for example "Touchpad activated / deactivated").
    So no i went back to the acer-launchmanager and just start the taskmanager ....

Also i can't set the launchmanager to "don't do anything with that key".

You win Acer.

Ah, I see, real hardware buttons ... roger that. That somehow escaped me.

With the single exception of the 'Calculator' button, I've never use these buttons at all - most of the time I find them/their placement annoying.

Having owned an Acer laptop myself, after a short inspection of the programs pre-installed by Acer, I've got rid off all of them. I didn't find anyone of it useful in any way.

hit 'em with a blowtorch. problem solved

Hoping someone can help with this cause I'm nearing the point of violence. The culprit? Windows Fall Creators Update.

I run two monitors from my 980ti. The main from the VGA port (as the monitor doesn't have an HDMI port) and one smaller tv/monitor from the HDMI port.

Since the creator update, windows has started trying to use the tv/monitors inbuilt speakers and piping sound through hdmi instead of my normal speakers. After a lot of swearing and googling I uninstall the Nvidia audio device in the 'Audio inputs and outputs' tab in Device manager. No worky, so I restart, still nothing, so I check the 'Playback devices' in the volume mixer menu and find it showing up again. I disable it there, restart again and everything seems good.

Bear in mind that the whole time, my realtek audio has been the default playback device, but windows doesn't seem to give a toss what the default is, it just ignores it and uses the HDMI.

Everything fixed right? Well, no. Because now, every time I start my fucking PC, I STILL get no sound through the speakers as it's STILL trying to send the sound to the fucking monitor. The device doesn't show in audio inputs/outputs, and still shows as disabled in playback devices.

If I restart the PC, sound reverts to playing through speakers.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. If anyone knows what the hell is going on I'd appreciate it, because at this point my options are: restart my pc immediately after every fresh power-on to get sound back through the default device, or roll back the fuckwitted fall update.

Any suggestions before I start sending abusive messages to microsoft?

EDIT: Assuming no luck, reverting this shitty update would be via system restore point right? The windows help page for rolling back the update doesn't actually tell you how to use the rollback function.
    Last edited by Saul; November 8 2017 at 06:40:03 PM.

I got nothing to add but my condolences. Fought a long war with Windows 10 to use a default output device (in my case a Schiit DAC) for months before it finally went "oh, I should just default to the configured default device" with some random update.

Nothing worked in the end, had to roll back the update. Fun doesn't end there though.

Had to uninstall bitdefender free as it was stopping the system restore from working (fuck knows why). Did that, restore worked ok.

But now bitdefender is completely fucked. It half loads the GUI but with no text, just red boxes, and I can't uninstall it. It shows as installed in the program list but it won't uninstall, even in safe mode. And every restart it's telling me I've got an old version and would I like to remove it for the newer version, I say yes but nothing happens. I try to switch on Defender but because windows still thinks BD is installed it just switches defender off after 20 seconds or so. ESET AV remover does fuck all.

I guess I need CCcleaner or something to completely obliterate the old install but remember reading that cc installs were infected a while back. Anyone have a suggestion as to what to use to wipe this zombie install?

Edit: tried iobit uninstaller and while it claims it got rid of it completely, something weird is still happening. Dropping back into safe mode showed a few residual files, which i deleted, but on going back to normal operation, windows defender is still auto-deactivated by something (that apparently no longer exists). At my absolute wits end here... residual registry bullshit or something?
    Last edited by Saul; November 11 2017 at 12:14:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Nothing worked in the end, had to roll back the update. Fun doesn't end there though.

Had to uninstall bitdefender free as it was stopping the system restore from working (fuck knows why). Did that, restore worked ok.

But now bitdefender is completely fucked. It half loads the GUI but with no text, just red boxes, and I can't uninstall it. It shows as installed in the program list but it won't uninstall, even in safe mode. And every restart it's telling me I've got an old version and would I like to remove it for the newer version, I say yes but nothing happens. I try to switch on Defender but because windows still thinks BD is installed it just switches defender off after 20 seconds or so. ESET AV remover does fuck all.

I guess I need CCcleaner or something to completely obliterate the old install but remember reading that cc installs were infected a while back. Anyone have a suggestion as to what to use to wipe this zombie install?

Edit: tried iobit uninstaller and while it claims it got rid of it completely, something weird is still happening. Dropping back into safe mode showed a few residual files, which i deleted, but on going back to normal operation, windows defender is still auto-deactivated by something (that apparently no longer exists). At my absolute wits end here... residual registry bullshit or something?
    A suggestion for your next windows installation: forget about AV software, just let Windows Defender do its thing.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

I remember reading a while back that defender was shit, hence getting bitdefender. Shan't bother next time. Looks like the only thing that will save me is a full windows reinstall.