hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102109110111112113 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2255

Thread: Windows 10: Just kidding guys, here's your start menu. I TROL U?

Are you setting up a new machine? I'm asking, because in our experience, the upgrade to Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool works pretty well. That would circumvent that issue.

I was just looking to do a fresh reinstall on the same machine where I mysteriously managed it in 2017. I wish that tool could take a pre-downloaded ISO.

P.S. So, tool makes USB detectable to installer that's booting off of it, but then it wouldn't accept a GPT NTFS partition unless I enabled Compatibility Support Module mode (even though the mobo is running UEFI, not Legacy, otherwise). WTF is this shit. Just use Linux, it just works.
    Didn't even result in a smaller footprint, what a waste of time, and sickening number of privacy violation attempts along with a new push for some Microsoft Account rather than local account login.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 2 2020 at 09:48:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    As boot media, not so much. Again, I'm using the latest May 2020 ISO, and it bloody booted off of it before failing to continue with it.
    Does it work with a USB 2.0 port?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    To create a local account on initial installation, don't connect to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    To create a local account on initial installation, don't connect to the internet.
    You just need to pay close attention to the options presented to get around this. And sometimes pick what seems to abort the whole installation at first glance ("Cancel"), but does actually not, just cancels the MS account creation shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    You just need to pay close attention to the options presented to get around this. And sometimes pick what seems to abort the whole installation at first glance ("Cancel"), but does actually not, just cancels the MS account creation shit.
    Nice one!

So I installed my new set of RAM today, bringing the total amount to 32GB. I swapped the old pair with the new pair to ensure everything was good, seemed to be. Then I installed all four sticks, seemed to be fine.

Browse on FHC, and the last page of the plague thread locked up Firefox. Restart Firefox, go to that page again, locks up again. This time, it BSODs and I get a "memory management" error. Windows reboots.

Blue screen on boot, registry is corrupted it seems. Windows Automatic Repair fails. I do not have a USB recovery device for that specific computer. How screwed am I?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Try your old sticks?

Sent fra min Nokia 3.1 via Tapatalk
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    So I installed my new set of RAM today, bringing the total amount to 32GB. I swapped the old pair with the new pair to ensure everything was good, seemed to be. Then I installed all four sticks, seemed to be fine.

Browse on FHC, and the last page of the plague thread locked up Firefox. Restart Firefox, go to that page again, locks up again. This time, it BSODs and I get a "memory management" error. Windows reboots.

Blue screen on boot, registry is corrupted it seems. Windows Automatic Repair fails. I do not have a USB recovery device for that specific computer. How screwed am I?
    OBVIOUSLY first go back to how it was before with the old ram and try that.

If it fails, you have a windows or other hardware issue - perhaps even the ram slots themselves.

If good, goto new ram but in the OLD ram slots - leave old ram out.

If it fails again, you have faulty ram sticks or windows problem or other hardware issue - perhaps even the ram slots themselves.

If good, try ONE stick in ONE OTHER slot.

If good, try the last slot.

If either single new slot is bad, it could well be the slot.

There is a tiny chance it could be a CPU issue, as in perhaps a memory controller might be broken BUT that would imply you were using the ram in NON dual-channel mode before. Let us know how it goes.

Also, check you seated all the DIMMs fully. And maybe disable XMP and just test default slow timings to see if it's just an issue sustaining higher JEDEC & beyond standards on a board that maybe wasn't designed for it.

Sometimes 4 sticks requires dropping down RAM speed, or looser timings.

DIMMs were fully seated properly. I ran Memtest86 v8.4 for two full passes, with no errors. I then decided to boot the system to take a screenshot of the BSOD I got previously.

But the system booted normally. No errors, no hiccups, nothing. It just...works.

I do have a theory on what happened. I previously have had BSODs caused by my WiFi USB stick (I suspect this because the error message always mentions a Broadcom driver file). I guess I need a new WiFi device.

I still plan on swapping the sticks around so every memory address gets tested, but I think I'm fine now.

In other news, a fresh 2004 install likes to throw 2 kinds of Event Viewer Warnings.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
    and APPID
    {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
    And the solution is apparently to leave it the fuck alone, there's something that tries without permissions, then runs a different code path after this failure, and changing permissions isn't better than leaving it be to keep behaving, and just filtering Event Viewer...

The second is more serious, the system will stall for ~20seconds several times an hour. Highly annoying.
    'disc' will generate Event ID153
    The IO operation at logical block address ... for Disk ... (PDO name: \Device\...) was retried.
    and 'storahci' will spit ID129
    Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.
    You may think you have a failing drive, or bad SATA cable, going by results for the first warning type, but the 2nd can lead you to the real cause and solution.

It's a fucking sometimes-hidden power plan option, for AHCI Link Power Management, which is borked and causing your OS storage to disconnect & reset.

In regedit, you change Attributes from 1 to 2 under
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerS ettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60
    and
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerS ettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\dab60367-53fe-4fbc-825e-521d069d2456
    Then you can choose Active under Advanced Power settings, Hard disk, HIPM/DIPM and AHCI Link Power Management, Adaptive options.
    You might also want to change the power plan setting for PCI Express, Link State Power management to Off.

System is stable, hardware is fine, fuck Windows 10 (fresh May2020 edition or otherwise).
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 15 2020 at 09:49:39 PM.

Unrelated, HOW DO YOU STOP WINDOWS WAKING A HDD (without 3rd party apps)?! Jesus fuck just let it sleep once it's off, nothing's using it you dumb shit!
    My system is actually almost silent when the rust isn't spinning, stop undermining my fan and power management work.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 15 2020 at 09:54:27 PM.

Since at least Windows 7, Windows and 3rd party applications such as AV software uses idle times for "housekeeping" stuff, e.g. Windows Search Indexing, AV scanning.

But it may also be caused by leftover (HD controller) drivers: https://www.crucial.com/support/arti...t-sata-drivers
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; October 16 2020 at 10:39:56 AM.

Yeah I'd already excluded it as a path from Defender (though the realtime portion doesn't honour this) and disabled indexing.

The AHCI warnings were a different thing for a different drive, it'd be ...stunning if a fresh Win10 2004 install has managed to get conflicting 'leftover' drivers involved. More likely is some SNAFU of them handling the AMD Ryzen-Balanced power plan, for an older Zen CPU/system.

Aye, forgot we were talking about a new installation here. Sorry, my bad.

Just discovered this, install the winstall tool from github. A package manager for Windows is deffo a step in the right direction. A bit worried that it features downloadable .bat files which is bound to fuck some people over when they are trolled, but oh well.

I thought Chocolately was what people were using for 3rd party Windows package management?

Very possible, I have not used either before now.

Well, that's a bit confusing, as there's a link to a (previously to me unknown) Windows Package Manager. Confusing, because I'm pretty sure I read that MS aims to turn NuGet into their package manager, in the end turning it into the nowadays Windows Update, which then would allow the same repository based package management to 3rd parties like all the Linux apts and yums do.