hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4686939495969798 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 1952

Thread: Windows 10: Just kidding guys, here's your start menu. I TROL U?

Now users can include a note about impact and severity when they're reporting something in the feedback hub, so that the test team isn't just flooded with fan requests for a hotly-discussed feature when a more major issue is going unnoticed.
    This is indeed a wonderful idea.
    Which will be totally abused within seconds as everyone log their bug as a "VERY MUST SEVERE WINDOWS IS UNUSABLE" because they can't use their fucking dinosaur mouse pointers
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    I just never turn off my PC [...]

Yepp ... and climate change is a totally made-up thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Unless you also unplug all the power cables out of the socket after you turn off your PC, the power drain for an idling PC with the screen in sleep mode, isn't that much higher than that of a shut-off PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.

How is that related?

Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post

Unless you also unplug all the power cables out of the socket after you turn off your PC, the power drain for an idling PC with the screen in sleep mode, isn't that much higher than that of a shut-off PC.
    "That much higher" = it is higher. Now imagine for a second the millions of "always on" machines woul cease to waste that energy.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post

How is that related?
    If you really don't know how wasted energy relates to rising COČ levels (aka "climate change") due to generating energy from fossil fuels, I have not enough words to explain that to you ...

Donor
    If you really don't know how wasted energy relates to rising COČ levels (aka "climate change") due to generating energy from fossil fuels, I have not enough words to explain that to you ...
    Reality isn't quite that simple. You have to consider that power cycling a PC each day makes it more likely to fail than if it is left running 24/7. If it fails it needs to be replaced with a new one - or at least a new part, the manufacturing of which requires a significant amount of energy and irreplaceable resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    Reality isn't quite that simple. You have to consider that power cycling a PC each day makes it more likely to fail than if it is left running 24/7. [...]
    Would you care to point out some actual data about this?

I know this has been a thing in the 1990s, where especially HDs were quite sensitive compared to nowadays. But these days? I also want to point out that alwoys on causes wearing on various sensitive components (CPU, GPU), which all have a MTBF.

A quick Google search doesn't turn up any clear trend about longlevity being more negatively impacted by one than the other. Which leaves the point of energy consumption ...

Windows 10 causes climate change.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    That's what I've learned over the last few posts. I'm pretty sure it also causes autism.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    That's what I've learned over the last few posts. I'm pretty sure it also causes autism.
    I thought the autism thing wasnt limited to windows 10 though, I though it was an issue since way back in windows xp.

Cloud Computing causes climate change.
    FYP.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Really? ... I mean ... really?

Here we are, a bunch of intelligent and knowledgable folks, making fun out of e.g. Trump's "climate change is a hoax invented by China". And then we get comments like the above? And not from the ususal suspects, but from folks who I otherwise consider to be very reasonable.

The IEA estimated in 2007 that standby produced 1% of the world's carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.[3] To put the figure into context, total air travel contributes less than 3% of global CO2 emissions.[4]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Watt_Initiative

And that is for standby and here we are talking about powered on devices.

You see, I personally couldn't care less about mankind literally boiling itself to death. By the time it really hits us here in our western civilized comfort zone, I'm long dead and gone. I alos have no offspring to care about, so :... shrugs:. But those members here that are ~ 30 and younger and/or have kids ... well, I pity you, especially your kids, as those are in for a very uncomfortable future life.

So leave your devices running all day, if that's what you want to be your future.

Last edited by RazoR; October 11 2018 at 09:22:02 AM.

Really? ... I mean ... really?

Here we are, a bunch of intelligent and knowledgable folks, making fun out of e.g. Trump's "climate change is a hoax invented by China". And then we get comments like the above? And not from the ususal suspects, but from folks who I otherwise consider to be very reasonable.

The IEA estimated in 2007 that standby produced 1% of the world's carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.[3] To put the figure into context, total air travel contributes less than 3% of global CO2 emissions.[4]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Watt_Initiative

And that is for standby and here we are talking about powered on devices.

You see, I personally couldn't care less about mankind literally boiling itself to death. By the time it really hits us here in our western civilized comfort zone, I'm long dead and gone. I alos have no offspring to care about, so :... shrugs:. But those members here that are ~ 30 and younger and/or have kids ... well, I pity you, especially your kids, as those are in for a very uncomfortable future life.

So leave your devices running all day, if that's what you want to be your future.
    Well ok.

I don't even have a car or anything but my continuous 15w are killing the planet other people. this cute puppy

And not from the ususal suspects, but from folks who I otherwise consider to be very reasonable.
    There's your mistake. There are no reasonable people posting here anymore.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And not from the ususal suspects, but from folks who I otherwise consider to be very reasonable.
    There's a joke here and fuck me if I can't figure out how to make it funny

That some people don't understand sarcasm? Which honestly would explain why we have so many arguments around here..

WHEN I SAY SOMETHING BLATANTLY STUPID LIKE WINDOWS 10 CAUSES CLIMATE CHANGE I AM BEING SARCASTIC BECAUSE ITS SO OBVIOUSLY NOT TRUE THAT EVEN A BLIND MAN COULD SPOT IT.

I mean what the fuck happened to this thread. We spent a whole page arguing if the millions of computers that don't get turned off contribute significantly to climate change.. What the fuck has that got to do with a windows 10 update being pulled because it deleted user files. This used to be the technical section of the shithole we post in but now its also turning to mindless bullshit. For the love of fuck can you all please pull yourselves together and just give me this one nice place to read intelligent posts by people that have half of an idea what they are talking about.

That some people don't understand sarcasm? Which honestly would explain why we have so many arguments around here..

WHEN I SAY SOMETHING BLATANTLY STUPID LIKE WINDOWS 10 CAUSES CLIMATE CHANGE I AM BEING SARCASTIC BECAUSE ITS SO OBVIOUSLY NOT TRUE THAT EVEN A BLIND MAN COULD SPOT IT.

I mean what the fuck happened to this thread. We spent a whole page arguing if the millions of computers that don't get turned off contribute significantly to climate change.. What the fuck has that got to do with a windows 10 update being pulled because it deleted user files. This used to be the technical section of the shithole we post in but now its also turning to mindless bullshit. For the love of fuck can you all please pull yourselves together and just give me this one nice place to read intelligent posts by people that have half of an idea what they are talking about.
    ...m8 there's so much utter bollocks in this thread and section on a constant basis i'm amazed you call it half intelligent