hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 95 of 99 FirstFirst ... 458592939495969798 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 1963

Thread: Windows 10: Just kidding guys, here's your start menu. I TROL U?

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Right, but overloading your browser with that much cruft leaves it insecure, slow and unreliable. I'm about as powerful a power user as you could imagine and I have precisely two plugins. One's a single sign on/password manager widget and the other is an adblocker. What else would I possibly need?

There's nothing wrong with Edge. It's actually quite a nice browser. People don't use it because there's also (almost) nothing wrong with Chrome and they're used to it [and google abuse their monopoly to push it everywhere].
    This.
    The insecure, slow and unreliable bit is absolute horseshit. Sure, there are bad add-ons out there, for any browser. Just don't use them?

"There is nothing wrong with Edge" is in no way an answer to why anyone should actually use it, apart from me having already pointed out I disagree. Come on guys, give me a compelling reason for anyone to use Edge. Something more than "it's not significantly worse than the alternatives".

Defending Microsoft from another company abusing their monopoly is absolutely hilarious, especially because this line of posting started with Microsoft abusing their monopoly in a way even Google hasn't done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    I do contest that is has "the major addons people need", as the pickings are abysmally low, even though it's not quite as low as I remembered. It's basically Windows Phone levels a few years ago vs Android and iOS.
    Adblocks, script blockers, password managers etc. are there. Nobody "needs" much more than that m8.
    That is your opinion, which obviously isn't going to be valid for anyone else.

It's less of a ram hog and quicker than Chrome?

In before "it runs ok for me so I don't care"

Like, they're browsers, not sure what kind of monumental revelation you're looking for here. You don't like it, great, doesn't make it bad. The "why should i use it" in this case is pointless as you've already decided whatever arcane specific set of addons you like cements your browser choice and i could just as easily go "i don't need those addons, why should i switch from edge?" and then dismiss anything you say.

And on the whole "defending microsoft" bollocks here i'm just going to ignore.

Finally, if you're going to be a dick about "opinions" so is yours that you need an asinine amount of useless addons, this is literally all about opinions because as we said, the different main browsers are fine and anything more is completely personal preference.
    Last edited by Isyel; September 15 2018 at 08:27:33 PM.

It's less of a ram hog and quicker than Chrome?
    That might be a valid point, thanks. Unfortunately it's incredibly hard to find recent consistent benchmarks out there. The consensus seems to be that Edge performs very well in most artificial speed benchmarks, not so great in a few others, and uses a bit less or even far more memory than other browsers. Oh and it might be easier on battery if you're using it on a laptop. A bit of a muddied picture with no clear winner I'd say.

In before "it runs ok for me so I don't care"
    I'm of the opinion that all major browsers are fast enough and change so often that there is a new winner every few months. So it doesn't really matter which one you pick, it'll be fastest and slowest in different tests at different points in time. The only major development recently is that Chrome intentionally started using more RAM to provide additional security, which I think is a good choice.

Like, they're browsers, not sure what kind of monumental revelation you're looking for here. You don't like it, great, doesn't make it bad. The "why should i use it" in this case is pointless as you've already decided whatever arcane specific set of addons you like cements your browser choice and i could just as easily go "i don't need those addons, why should i switch from edge?" and then dismiss anything you say.
    I never asked why I should use it, I asked why anyone should use it. Frankly I'd like Edge to have far more browser market share. Ideally about 75% would be evenly split between Chrome, FF and Edge, with the remaining 25% or so distributed among alternatives such as Opera, Brave and Vivaldi. The current meta with Chrome dominating everything is not healthy IMHO.

And on the whole "defending microsoft" bollocks here i'm just going to ignore.

Finally, if you're going to be a dick about "opinions" so is yours that you need an asinine amount of useless addons, this is literally all about opinions because as we said, the different main browsers are fine and anything more is completely personal preference.
    I was merely pointing out that something you posited as fact is nothing more than your opinion, which is neither more or less valid than my opinion.

You're the one being a dick using words like "useless", "ridiculous" and "spectacularly autistic" to describe my opinions...

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    "Opera, Brave and Vivaldi"

who?

I thought that's the Windows thread, actually needed browser help. I guess it's fine asking here:

Chrome, I want to search text on a page. On every other normal browser (Firefox) I can select the text, hit CTRL+F and the selected text is now in the search field.
    Can I make Chrome do this? It doesn't do this and I have to copy the text I want to search for in the clipboard prior to CTRL+F'ing. It drives me insane.

Overspark, wanna share your FF addon collection with me?
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    I thought that's the Windows thread, actually needed browser help. I guess it's fine asking here:

Chrome, I want to search text on a page. On every other normal browser (Firefox) I can select the text, hit CTRL+F and the selected text is now in the search field.
    Can I make Chrome do this? It doesn't do this and I have to copy the text I want to search for in the clipboard prior to CTRL+F'ing. It drives me insane.

just hit CTRL+F and type it? unless you're searching for some really long string i don't get how this would be a problem?

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

just hit CTRL+F and type it? unless you're searching for some really long string i don't get how this would be a problem?
    If you're searching for technical stuff (code, for example) I can see it getting annoying if you're not used to it

the answer is here:

https://codereview.chromium.org/6356004

Besides these issues, this behavior just doesn't feel terribly compelling when testing it. Perhaps I'm too used to the existing Chrome behavior, but while I expect prepopulation based on previous search strings in this or other tabs, I don't really expect selecting text to change my search string, and it doesn't feel terribly hard to sandwich the ctrl-f in a ctrl-c/ctrl-v pair to be explicit, given that I've just selected what I want to search for.

Since Ben already voted against this and the above testing doesn't give me strong counterarguments, I'm going ahead and closing.
    tl:dr enabling it caused multiple other issues and the developer tackling it has concluded that its not worth the devtime to implement.

an alternative would be to bind ctrl-c ctrl-f ctrl-v to a mouse button using autohotkey or something similar.

Code:
    ~^f::
    SetTitleMatchMode 2
    IfWinActive, Google Chrome
    {
      Send, ^c
      Send, {F3}
      Send, ^v
      Send ^a
      return
    }
    else
    {
      Send ^f
      return
    }
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; September 17 2018 at 03:58:10 PM.

These days I'm only using:

Always Preview
    Enhanced Steam
    Foxy Gestures
    Google search link fix
    ScrollAnywhere
    Smart HTTPS
    Stylus
    Tab Open/Close Control
    uBlock Origin
    Violentmonkey
    YouTube High Definition

And I was using stuff like Tab Mix Plus and FireGestures in the past but those aren't compatible with recent FF versions any more

These days I'm only using:

Always Preview
    Enhanced Steam
    Foxy Gestures
    Google search link fix
    ScrollAnywhere
    Smart HTTPS
    Stylus
    Tab Open/Close Control
    uBlock Origin
    Violentmonkey
    YouTube High Definition

And I was using stuff like Tab Mix Plus and FireGestures in the past but those aren't compatible with recent FF versions any more
    +1 for FireGestures, also replaced with Foxy Gestures but it is not the same.
    Hiro Cor

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Microsoft is warning users not to install rival Google Chrome or Firefox web browsers on Windows.

Edge! Use Edge!! Its not terrible and riddled with vulnerabilities we swear!

You can fuck right off Microsoft. If I could uninstall that and half the other shit you keep shoveling in to my 'professional' version of Windows I would. Hell if there was a viable alternative I would use that instead but I don't really want to give up 90% of the games I play.
    It's... just fine. I don't disagree that MS convincing you to do it over the others is bollocks but Edge is fine. FFS stop with the dumb IE memes already.
    "Just fine" doesn't cut it these days. P much the only thing that Edge can boast of is that it's pretty secure, but otherwise it falls far short of any other major browser in the "why should I use this exactly?" department, lacking lots of features other browsers do offer.
    What features does it lack?
    I'd like to know too. I suspect they havent actually tried it in the last couple of years and are just reeing as usual because microsoft.

And overspark, you know perfectly well what i mean by just fine so pls, no.
    My experience with edge in the last 12 months.

Attempted to setup a new PC for a new user. They didn't have another browser installed yet so I tried to setup their details in out CMS using Edge. It failed to render the login screen correctly and I had to swap to IE which worked OK (again some shit was broken).

Attempted to connect to one of our DRACs to reboot a server. I have no idea why I used edge but I suspect I had a brain hemorrhage or something.. It failed to basically do anything. Didnt render correctly, most of the buttons it did render were not functional, etc, etc. Swapped to firefox and it works fine. I dont even like firefox but it was the only other browser installed on the machine I was using.

I pretty much use it exclusively for exchange management now because it does that just fine and I can set the EMS web site as its home page so its 'even faster than a shortcut'. For some reason it doesnt like SSO with exchange but this might be a config issue because Firefox and Chrome also dont like SSO on specifically the management page (they both work fine on the webmail page where Edge still fails though). I 'seems' slow on the office 365 management page but that could just be me thinking its slower than it should be (its not the worlds fastest site).
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Stumbled upon this while doing classwork. What is it and what's the impact if I turn it on?

edit: Found this article which explains it. Think I'll keep it off, since I'll be running VM software in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Nordstern; October 3 2018 at 03:00:30 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

isyel and xeno against the world, vol. 473

I'm going to go back to browser bashing.. The new version of Firefox broke all of our plugins. We literally only need 1 to work but we have a couple of extras for convenience. We also cant seem to fix it.

Our CMS system uses file links to a share for documents rather than saving them in a database. This gives us the convenience of easy backups and not needing any office plugins for people to be able to edit and save the files, at the cost of versioning. The issue is however since a long time ago 'executing' files with the file:\\ URI has been depreciated because its insecure. Our plugin added it back in but only for specifically mapped locations (additional drives in this case, not the C drive). Its been working fine for years. Apparently now any sort of file access from a plugin is depreciated in firefox so we cant even get this to work.

With the LTS version getting an upgrade soon (now?) we need a solution, and the solution might actually be Chrome as we can still access the filesystem (all be it in a very controlled way) in Chrome.

(It needs to open the file from its network location, the issue is the default is to download the file and then open it, making saving it again a pain for the users as they don't know where the file came from in the first place)
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; October 4 2018 at 03:04:19 AM.

Windows 10 update 1809 deletes user files.

Inb4 horde of users saying it's working fine for them and people saying they don't keep user files on C:... oh wait.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I think i got stupider reading that reddit thread.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Witty. Clever, even.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Witty. Clever, even.
    Thanks. It's some of my finest work.

For once though, the reddit 'run scripts from the internet' brigade stumbled upon something it seems.
    I'm looking forward to any published root cause, but wouldn't hold my breath.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Witty. Clever, even.
    Thanks. It's some of my finest work.

For once though, the reddit 'run scripts from the internet' brigade stumbled upon something it seems.
    I'm looking forward to any published root cause, but wouldn't hold my breath.
    Last week the October 2018 update for Windows 10 had barely arrived before Microsoft was forced to pause its rollout, as a few users complained of missing files. Now Microsoft says it has identified and fixed the problem, which was related to a feature called "Known Folder Redirection (KFR)" and an attempt to remove extra duplicate folders that could cause lost files in three specific scenarios.
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/09/...ssing-folders/
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Happy I finally got off my ass and pushed out the deferred updates policy a few months ago..

I just never turn off my PC unless it borks which was... 25 days and 14 hours ago when i replaced the dead gtx560.

F