hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 387885868788899091 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 1829

Thread: Windows 10: Just kidding guys, here's your start menu. I TROL U?

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    So appearently W10 just spent the WHOLE F-ING DAY installing a uppdate that MS claimed in a press anouncement earlier, would only take 30 minutes.

And once done it had ruined my dualboot. The GRUB doesn't even load. Just straight into windows.
    Need I add that a computer that used to boot into windows in just a few seconds now takes several minutes to boot up? no? ok.
    gg ms. fucking good game.

Anyone have any advice on how to get my dualboot menu back so I can acces my real OS?
    That sounds more like your drive is fucked than a windows issue tbqh, especially if your boot time has changed so drastically

Does your other boot partition show up under Disk Manager?

Other than that, what Daneel said, although I prefer Rufus to Win32DiskImager personally

A slow boot into Win10 could be due to disrupted SuperFetch/whatever they're calling it know, where Windows tracks your most commonly accessed apps (& data?) and preemptively loads it into RAM during the later steps of startup. But it shouldn't cause such delays, even if it's failing to verify the previously highlighted blocks. 1min delay makes me think instead of quirks like something stalling while a DNS query times out.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    A slow boot into Win10 could be due to disrupted SuperFetch/whatever they're calling it know, where Windows tracks your most commonly accessed apps (& data?) and preemptively loads it into RAM during the later steps of startup. But it shouldn't cause such delays, even if it's failing to verify the previously highlighted blocks. 1min delay makes me think instead of quirks like something stalling while a DNS query times out.
    Shouldn't that only happen after Win10 is loaded though?

Doesn't sound like it would be responsible for breaking GRUB

idk, outside my wheelhouse tbh

I managed to sort the bootloader. Luckily it was just the bios load order that MS had decided to mess with. Changing that back to Linux first fixed it. Cunt move to mess with my bios settings though.

The launching speed though.
    It used to be Startup, show grub. select windows. bam. ready to login.

Now it's this instead:

Grub. Select win.
    swirly balls for some 15 seconds.
    "wait" with swirly balls for another 15 seconds.
    Splashscreen. unresponsive for 10 sec. then another 10 sec to load the login screen.
    then my username and "Welcome" for some 20 sec, with more swirly balls.
    Then a further 15-30 sec to load the very few icons in the menu before I can even start using the thing.

what the hell?
    It did not behave like this RIGHT before the update. This was caused by the update. The linux partition is on the same drive and thatone works flawlessly.

This is so frustrating. I wish I didn't need windows on this machine.

Luckily it was just the bios load order that MS had decided to mess with. Changing that back to Linux first fixed it. Cunt move to mess with my bios settings though.

you, um, do know that's not how these things work ?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

I'm not sure he knows what GRUB is tbqh

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    I'm not sure he knows what GRUB is tbqh
    Call it whatever you want. The menu thing where I get to chose what OS to boot. It shows up if I load the linux partition first, but not if I load the windows partition first. It didn't need to be that way, but since the fall creators update, loading the win partition first just ignored the GRUB thingy completely.
    Doesn't need to be that way on my W7 machine either. Only on my W10 with Creators Update. I know how it's supposed to work. The fact that it does not is why it's so infuriating.

Didn't work before. Now it does. Appearently the GRUb doesn't load before windows decides to start and ignore all other settings, unless you trick it to.
    Last edited by Ashaz; July 20 2018 at 08:14:45 AM.

seems kind of common too.
    https://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/

That article gave me cancer and if you're having to use articles like it to learn how to edit your boot order then maybe you shouldn't be dual booting.

the comments on it are very amusing though

That article gave me cancer and if you're having to use articles like it to learn how to edit your boot order then maybe you shouldn't be dual booting.

It's not how I did. Just the first thing that google showed when I checked if others had the same issue.
    Do you enjoy being a condecending ass to people asking for advice?

It's not how I did. Just the first thing that google showed when I checked if others had the same issue.
    If I shill for Micros$ft long enough they'll start paying me

(sorry, it's pretty early morning here and I'm not coffee'd up)

Didnt work with nvidia ?

Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post

Didnt work with nvidia ?
    My reward from Nvidia was GSYNC and a GPU that's actually good.

fuck me 4 steps to get to an elevated cmd prompt.
    that's some good shit

So appearently W10 just spent the WHOLE F-ING DAY installing a uppdate that MS claimed in a press anouncement earlier, would only take 30 minutes.

And once done it had ruined my dualboot. The GRUB doesn't even load. Just straight into windows.
    Need I add that a computer that used to boot into windows in just a few seconds now takes several minutes to boot up? no? ok.

Anyone have any advice on how to get my dualboot menu back so I can acces my real OS?
    With WSL in Windos 10 in its current state, do you actually still need dual boot?

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

With WSL in Windos 10 in its current state, do you actually still need dual boot?

I don't use windows 10 to get acces to linux features. I use linux to get away from all the windows bullshit. If I could, I'd switch over completely.
    Last edited by Ashaz; July 21 2018 at 09:35:46 PM.

People who want to use Linux in anything other than a professional capacity are right fucking weird

I use linux to get away from all the windows bullshit. If I could, I'd switch over completely.
    On - serious posting now. Why (in 5 lines or less)? - What do you feel you get from a linux environment ?

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    People who want to use Linux in anything other than a professional capacity are right fucking weird
    it's basically a cult at this point

linux is great, I use it a lot, but it isn't inherently "better" than Windows (or OSX)

also bash for ubuntu for windows is uh... barebones, it works but a load of the backend stuff isn't included (source: I once spent hours getting a linux only weeb imagebrowser to work on it)

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    it's basically a cult at this point

linux is great, I use it a lot, but it isn't inherently "better" than Windows (or OSX)

also bash for ubuntu for windows is uh... barebones, it works but a load of the backend stuff isn't included (source: I once spent hours getting a linux only weeb imagebrowser to work on it)
    It comes down the same thing when discussing PowerShell on *nix, you use the best tool for the problem you're trying to solve. Sometimes that will be Linux and other times it'll be Windows. The hateboner that some hardcore *nix (or Apple) users have for Windows really doesn't make sense anymore, certainly not for the last 3 or more years.