hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 111 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1161101108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2255

Thread: Windows 10: Just kidding guys, here's your start menu. I TROL U?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    The only time I have more than 5 tabs open is when I'm posting image links to a thread, and then I close them immediately after pasting. And I have moderate ADD.
    I developed the habit that when I do my daily "website run", visiting all my usual (news) sites, I scroll down the main page and open the articles that interest me in a new tab. I then close every tab as I go through them. Other than that, yeah, I'm with you in that 5-10 tabs (depending on the current task) open at once range.

Never goes above 5, only keeps open what's really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    Chrome usually doesn't bother remembering the tabs that were open. Maybe it's because of how many I usually have going at a time. I had to get a browser extension to do that reliably.
    Someone has yet to tell me what Chrome does better than Firefox. To me it seems worse in every possible aspect ... e.g. Firefox has a dedicated "Restore last session" menu entry in "History". Which does exactly that: open all tabs that were open when Firefox was closed. Bonus points (or security issue): you're still logged into most previous sessions.
    Chrome does restore last tabs as well. And has been from the start, so I wonder why you'd use that as an example. And why would it log you out of sessions if you don't clear cookies after each closing?

Chromium is fast.*

The interface is quite sleek out of the box IMHO.

Chrome had synced profiles from the start, something that Firefox only added later. There is the question of whether someone wants to store that stuff with Google, but most people also use Gmail... The sync extends naturally to Android phones, especially if you use Chrome on them and not whatever browser your manufacturer installed.

Personally I ended up bloating Firefox with lots of semi-useful extensions, which I haven't done so in Chrome. But that is a highly individual issue. I probably wouldn't bloat Firefox that much nowadays.

I'm also not sure if Chrome had the Incognito mode first or if it was Firefox' private browsing.

*at least when it came out it was significantly faster than either Firefox or the Internet Explorer. Edge is as fast nowadays because it's Chromium based.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    yeah, i'm sure there's better options out now, but chrome is fast, syncs with my phone and all my google stuff and i prefer the UI (or did at least whenever i swapped from firefox years ago)

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Chrome usually doesn't bother remembering the tabs that were open. Maybe it's because of how many I usually have going at a time. I had to get a browser extension to do that reliably.
    Someone has yet to tell me what Chrome does better than Firefox. To me it seems worse in every possible aspect ... e.g. Firefox has a dedicated "Restore last session" menu entry in "History". Which does exactly that: open all tabs that were open when Firefox was closed. Bonus points (or security issue): you're still logged into most previous sessions.
    It's slightly more compatible with everything. I use firefox for both workflow and ethical reasons.

If you want chromium without google baggage, there's always Opera or (gasp) Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Chrome does restore last tabs as well. And has been from the start, so I wonder why you'd use that as an example.
    Then I have yet to find the menu entry that does so. It's not in "History", where FF has it.

That's the one reason I despise Chorme (and Edge, for that matter): for me, as a keyboard orientated person, it's the worst possible interface, as it has no menu bar anymore.

Chrome had synced profiles from the start, something that Firefox only added later. There is the question of whether someone wants to store that stuff with Google, but most people also use Gmail... The sync extends naturally to Android phones, especially if you use Chrome on them and not whatever browser your manufacturer installed.
    As you said: FF also has sync for quite a while now. Syncs across all devices where FF is available.

Chrome does restore last tabs as well. And has been from the start, so I wonder why you'd use that as an example.
    Then I have yet to find the menu entry that does so. It's not in "History", where FF has it.
    Have you tried looking? It's right in the settings:

That's the one reason I despise Chrome (and Edge, for that matter): for me, as a keyboard orientated person, it's the worst possible interface, as it has no menu bar anymore.
    That's personal preference and a point for Firefox.
    As you said: FF also has sync for quite a while now. Syncs across all devices where FF is available.
    Yeah, but they had to copy that feature from Chrome.
    nevar forget

I feel dirty, I just replaced Xubuntu with Win10 on my work laptop thanks to WebEx being a pain to run in a Windows VM.

The Win10 start menu is actually ok now once all the active tiles are disabled.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

Have you tried looking? It's right in the settings:

I tried looking, but of course not in "Settings", because that would permanently force one of the choices upon the user on each start of the application. Which is a terrible design choice, IMHO.

It would leave me with two annyoing choices:
    1) have all tabs opened although in close to 100% of the time I don't want that
    2) force me through a click-orgy to open the tabs from history the very few times a month I'd like to restore the previous session (whereas with FF that's 2 clicks/keyboard shortcuts - regardless of the number of previously opened tabs)

But well, each to his own, I guess. All in all, FF works way better the way I like it. And that session-restauration is a permanent setting, not a single command, just adds to my personal "WTF, Chrome?" moments.

Well good thing FF caters to your eclectic needs then.

Also I'm sure there's an extension for that on Chrome.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Win10, the initial logon/lock screen, jesus fucking christ what a permissions clusterfuck. (Also GL easily purging an image from a system that you don't want to keep any copies of any more, if it was used for this).

Try modify C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-21-...\ReadOnly\LockScreen_...\
    You need to takeown, fuck with access rights and file contents, but then any change via GUI sets the ownership chain back to SYSTEM and Read Only. So why not just use the GUI? It wasn't fucking working to apply an admin user's lock screen as the default/logon one, was it.

At least I also found the hidden right-click menu to set a background image to be per monitor.
    Still can't set screensaver/sleep timing per monitor though.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Someone has yet to tell me what Chrome does better than Firefox. To me it seems worse in every possible aspect ...
    I don't prefer Chrome.

I was forcing myself to use Chrome for a while to develop muscle memory for the interface. When I need to help somebody with a browser issue it seems to be Chrome more often than FF these days. Firefox was my main browser since back when it was called Firebird.

When I tried going back, FF was extremely sluggish for some reason. I assume it's something weird with the install, but I'd been too lazy to fix it since that also means transferring a couple hundred organized bookmarks back over.

Firebird was the briefest time, after Phoenix, but before they realised their new choice clashed with an existing db name iirc.

[...] since that also means transferring a couple hundred organized bookmarks back over.

That's pretty easy. Go to %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(random string).default-release\ and grab the file places.sqlite. That's all of your bookmarks. Then just copy/move it to your new profile folder.

about:profiles has a button to get you there quicker. And there are online docs for backing up and restoring profiles, or pieces of them.

Ah, Windows 10, so retarded that the May 2020 ISO can boot off of a USB3 port, start the installer, then promply fail to find any install media drivers. Reminds me of Win7 being unable to handle USB at all. Or was that XP, either way the legacy lives on.

Xp, good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Reminds me of Win7 being unable to handle USB at all. Or was that XP, either way the legacy lives on.
    Windows supports USB ever since Windows 98. IIRC, they even published a USB stack for Windows 95 (95c, I think).

As boot media, not so much. Again, I'm using the latest May 2020 ISO, and it bloody booted off of it before failing to continue with it.