hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 104 of 109 FirstFirst ... 45494101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2171

Thread: Windows 10: Just kidding guys, here's your start menu. I TROL U?

Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    I'd give you more reps but FHC says nyet
    Got your back.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Got you covered
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Win 10 just failed to adjust for UK DST.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Win 10 just failed to adjust for UK DST.
    Mine didn't.
    I had 2x 1ams, as expected.

Yeah it didn't fail the previous 4+ times, but the inconsistency isn't a shock either.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Is there a good reason to get Windows 10 Pro over the Home edition? I'm not sure if I would use Hyper-V or BitLocker.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Is there a good reason to get Windows 10 Pro over the Home edition? I'm not sure if I would use Hyper-V or BitLocker.
    Home edition is locked down af in its settings etc. so you can't customize a lot of shit you might want as a proper nerd iirc unless something changed recently or I'm remembering this wrong.

TMA a setting I can't change? Win7 Home Premium key converted to Win 10 Home, Dev mode on, cloud wank off, seems as configurable as MS will permit for non-enterprise setups.

For most things that aren't configurable via a dedicated UI there's a registry setting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    For most things that aren't configurable via a dedicated UI there's a registry setting.
    Yes, however that's a pain in the ass and half the time leads to bollocks.

For every time I've heard, basically, "I have a light windows install I deleted/disabled all the shit I don't need" for then the same people to have endless issues with shit... yeah. You do you.

But that's another issue on its own really.

As for the rest, as I said, could be misremembering stuff, but I recall running into trying to solve problems before and searching online for solutions and "can't do x on home" came up a few times. Could be entirely wrong tho.
    Last edited by Isyel; November 28 2019 at 09:06:51 AM.

You're remembering wrong.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    PC does what?
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    You're remembering wrong.
    Entirely likely.

Windows 7 support for security shutting down in January. Is it time to jump to 10 or switch to Linux?

I only use my Windows machine for games and fucking around on 3D stuff, so I'm not really in a hurry to upgrade or switch. As usual I'll probably lag behind until something system critical fails or requires a new OS.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    It depends on how many of your games run on linux dinnit? I would switch to linux in a heartbeat if that was the case

Banned
    Windows 10 has been fine for ages, dont be a bad.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    ITT hermits still running a 10 year old OS think a 4 year old OS is somehow still too new for them.

But seriously, switch to Win10, it's better (and faster) in a lot of ways. Just be prepared to run a start menu replacement if you hate the "new" one too much (I did).

What do you people even do via the Start Menu that it impacts you so? There's the desktop Taskbar to pin your fave apps to (with right-click app-specific quick menues), as well as the big, groupable launcher tiles portion of the Start menu to quickly launch a bunch more. Shutdown, Control Panel, both just as easy as ever. Meanwhile 10 has full multi/virtual desktop layout support. What am I forgetting I'm missing from 7?

As for gaming, you need 10 for DX12, even if your GPU can handle it fully MS refused to backport some feature support to DX11 for PC (but not for XBOX iirc).

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Windows 7 support for security shutting down in January. Is it time to jump to 10 or switch to Linux?

I only use my Windows machine for games and fucking around on 3D stuff, so I'm not really in a hurry to upgrade or switch. As usual I'll probably lag behind until something system critical fails or requires a new OS.
    Short term: I see no issues to continue using Windows 7. Lacking security updates only impact you so much, if you're constantly online doing stuff.
    Mid/long term: it is very likely that games and your "3D stuff" will drop support for Windows 7, so preparing for that in advance is the wise choice.

But as others already stated: Win10 has been fine for years, even for me as a "classic (aka Win2K-like) start menu addicted", as there's Open Shell, the successor to Classic Shell. it let's you pick your choice of legacy start menu emulation.

For the privacy part, there's ShutUp10, freeware by O&O, better known for DiskImage product, which takes care of the disabling of the unwanted "phone-home" features with one click (the defaults are pretty OK), but let's you tweak each and every setting to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post

I only use my Windows machine for games and fucking around on 3D stuff...
    I'm perceptibly happier using my PC since switching to Linux (which is probably why Isyel doesn't like it).

You can fuck around on 3D-stuff just fine, as I understand it. As for games, there's a pretty decent (>60%) chance that any given game will work, but there are some exceptions, specifically if you like games that run anti-cheat software (EAC, Battle Eye, etc). I've been surprised by how many native (and "native") games there are, but there's a vast catalogue that will run through compatibility tools. Proton is nearly effortless in this regard, so if you have a substantial Steam library, go to https://www.protondb.com/ and check out your non-negotiable titles.

Lutris is only a bit more work. Basically it's a project where people collate all the nerd wizardry required to get a windows game to work on Linux and bottle it into a script you can install that does it all for you. So if there you have non-negotiable games that aren't on Steam, check https://lutris.net/ and see if there's a setup ready made for you.

The bottom line is that there are games that flat out don't work, others that will work but you won't be able to use multiplayer, and a goddamb lot that work fine. You can give it a try without giving up gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.