hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, this is how Elite:Dangerous will do mining. Thoughts?

So, this is how Elite:Dangerous will do mining. Thoughts?

Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

It looks kinda complex. Particularly I don't quite see how the scoop mechanic will work. Is it a tractor beam or a physical scoop? Is there a video of the entire process in action or is this the super early "here is our plan"? Other than that it seems to remind me of ring mining where each asteroid would have different content and you had to find the most profitable/what you needed to mine asteroid.

Auto miners - potentially not for release one: these are large deployed devices that can mine a location over time, allowing the player to collect them at a later date

They cannot be found by other human commanders unless the commander is also present at the location, though on return commanders may find that they have suffered malfunctions or been contaminated
    More expensive auto miners are more resilient to adverse effects and can offer greater yields
    I think Eve would benefit from an autominer. Say you buy a 10-15 mil isk deployable that is essentially a mining laser attached to a cargohold. Anchor it in an asteroid belt. It auto-mines with maybe the effectiveness of 2.5 miner I (100m3/min). So even a venture will outmine it (6000m3 vs. ~30000m3 for a perfect 2 miner II 1 MLU venture). You come back a few hours later and loot. Anyone can agress it free of charge like MTUs. So it really won't be that useful in highsec. But you find a nice backend low/null system and you might make some isk. Do another one for gas harvesting. IMO it would be an interesting bottom up faucet-less passive isk generator with risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliventi View Post
    I think Eve would benefit from an autominer.
    I very very ironically suggested this as a CSM member, with "If it's good enough for moon-mining, why not?" attached. The looks I got were rather priceless.

That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with it as long as there are large balancing factors attached. ESO has a pretty good approach: you can automatically be gifted a small number of crafting materials each day, but you have to spend a skill point to do it.

The rest, I really really like. I wish EVE had something like a claim: you anchor the thing and within range of the claim marker, null-sec rules. Too hard to implement in EVE, but it'd be awesome.
    Ripard Teg (among others)... what's our new alliance called again?
    I was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer, to good effect. Or at least, that's what most of EVE believes.

my thoughts are that i couldnt give less of a shit
    MAX damage posting

Why is the comet tail behind the comet, and not just pointing away from the local star?

Tap on, tap off

Autominers: with same functionality as silo siphons. Will mine until full, but anyone can steal the minerals by going suspect.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Xenosis's sister
    Particularly I don't quite see how the scoop mechanic will work. Is it a tractor beam or a physical scoop?
    If it's anything like the cargo scoop in the current Beta version, it's a physical scoop on your ship's belly that you fly into floating items with. There's a little targeting panel on the side to help you aim so you actually grab the item instead of sending it flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    You probably should, it looks like it's going to be a space sim with far more engaging PVE gameplay than Eve, and Eve without it's highsec carebears subbing furiously will die a rapid death.
    CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Max Teranous View Post
    You probably should, it looks like it's going to be a space sim with far more engaging PVE gameplay than Eve, and Eve without it's highsec carebears subbing furiously will die a rapid death.
    So what? It couldn't be more out of my hands
    MAX damage posting

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    Particularly I don't quite see how the scoop mechanic will work. Is it a tractor beam or a physical scoop?
    If it's anything like the cargo scoop in the current Beta version, it's a physical scoop on your ship's belly that you fly into floating items with. There's a little targeting panel on the side to help you aim so you actually grab the item instead of sending it flying.
    Gas/dust clouds must be flown through with an appropriate scoop. So exactly the same as for cargo scooping. Equip scoop, fly through gas cloud. Simples.

Also, really want the autominers. Didn't Elite II or II have those?

Donor
    CCP have enjoyed a long period of being able to rest on their laurels simply because they lucked out on a product that had no real competition, and had an notable edge that was (and still somewhat is) alluring to a subset of the market - the whole sanctioned scamming and griefing etc.

I have a strong feeling that Elite Dangerous is going to eat CCP's lunch, especially if the PvP has an edge (I could not care less about the loss of ISK scamming really, as a enabled game mechanic). Dogfighting, MMO progression, sperg flight mechanics for those that desire them, and Elite already has a name and heritage. It seems like it will be better than Eve in every respect.

If I were CCP I'd be deeply concerned (that their coke fund will dwindle)
    Last edited by Durzel; September 27 2014 at 02:11:30 PM.

elite dangerous will only b e a threat to eve is it gets a solid community very very quickly.

the main thing EVE has going for it is that its community is large and is hugely developed. it's not going to lose that overnight.
    MAX damage posting

Quote Originally Posted by Durzel View Post
    CCP have enjoyed a long period of being able to rest on their laurels simply because they lucked out on a product that had no real competition, and had an notable edge that was (and still somewhat is) alluring to a subset of the market - the whole sanctioned scamming and griefing etc.
    Correction: there were 3 competing space MMO's when eve came out.

elite dangerous will only b e a threat to eve is it gets a solid community very very quickly.
    What makes you think that goons, reddit, penny-arcade, team liquid, etc etc won't just parachute in and bring their community cohesion with them, just like they did for games such as STO and MWO?

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    What makes you think that goons, reddit, penny-arcade, team liquid, etc etc won't just parachute in and bring their community cohesion with them, just like they did for games such as STO and MWO?
    Those games are ghost towns now.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar

I have a strong feeling that Elite Dangerous is going to eat CCP's lunch, especially if the PvP has an edge (I could not care less about the loss of ISK scamming really, as a enabled game mechanic). Dogfighting, MMO progression, sperg flight mechanics for those that desire them, and Elite already has a name and heritage. It seems like it will be better than Eve in every respect.

It will take years before Elite has an equivalent level of depth to Eve. Doesnt mean it wont poach players, but it will take a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

It will take years before Elite has an equivalent level of depth to Eve. Doesnt mean it wont poach players, but it will take a long time.
    Yeah EVE has some pretty big incumbent advantages, and if CCP haven't really added much new in the last 3 years, they've inarguably done a massive job of polish & refinement. All those nice little changes and UI improvements and rebalances add up to a hell of a lot that we'd bitterly miss if we were actually confronted with losing them all (If it wouldn't mean multi-gig downloads for everyone, CCP should have us all use the Launch day Incarna client for April Fools Day or something).

But.

But.

Yeah, the actual flight engine in EVE... it's not intrinsically very much fun to do anything. There's no "wheeeee!" factor. And they've gotten away with that for a long ole time because it wasn't anywhere else either. But in a few months that's going to change and there's going to be an EVE-ish type kinda-MMO game that does have that "Wheeeeee!" built in right from the start.

I sure hope CCP are putting their foot to the floor with the 0.0 rework and a PvE rework to follow that or There Will Be Trouble At T'Mill
    Last edited by Malcanis; September 29 2014 at 12:22:43 PM.

Donor
    Good points well made (particularly about the flight engine)

Don't forget though, a huge amount of the eve install base depend on the current flight model to enjoy the game. Except super heated small-medium gang combat that really requires split second reaction times, the current flight engine lets people play the game in a very relaxed, enjoyable (for them) manner. That will never be the case in a game that requires hands-on-deck, with a xbox controller or joystick. In that regard, there are huge swathes of players that will never look towards Elite or SC as their go-to game, even if they get interested in them on a ideological level. SCs planet-side gameplay with trading & market would be probably more interesting than the elites cockpit only gameplay as well.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    About the only good point.