hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoo thread

Tattoo thread

I have been thinking about getting various tattoos for years now, and I might be ready to take the plunge soon.

The tattoo I'm thinking about starting with is a Sparrow, American Classic style. Thinking about getting it on my ribs on my left side. (Yes I know ribs hurt )

Anyway, couple questions. Sparrows and Swallows are visually similar but have very different meanings. How do you tell the difference? What is the "correct" color pattern for a Sparrow?

Anyway, my questions aside, post up your own work and stuff. There has to be a significant portion of this forum that's tattooed
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    I have been thinking about getting various tattoos for years now, and I might be ready to take the plunge soon.

The tattoo I'm thinking about starting with is a Sparrow, American Classic style. Thinking about getting it on my ribs on my left side. (Yes I know ribs hurt )

Anyway, couple questions. Sparrows and Swallows are visually similar but have very different meanings. How do you tell the difference? What is the "correct" color pattern for a Sparrow?

Anyway, my questions aside, post up your own work and stuff. There has to be a significant portion of this forum that's tattooed
    My hard and fast way is to look at their beak and wing shape. Sparrows have short/stout beaks and straight edged wings. Swallows have thin/wide beaks and a sweeping edge. It isn't universal but for North America it'll get you 95% of the way. You should also look at other passerine order birds endemic to the western US. I've always fancied the idea of asking someone if they want to see my American Bushtit and then proceed to show them a tattoo.

I've always liked tattoos in theory, lots of my friends have them and I love girls with them, but i've never been one of those people who was enamoured with an image that i'd want it permenantly etched on my body, or be ok with having an array of shit tattoos that remind me of "being fucked that one time".

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

A how to?

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Will post pics of my "awesome" 90s tribal tats later
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

On a scale of 1[itchy crotch] to 5[full blown AIDS] - how much do you regret getting that ?
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

after googling "sparrow tattoo" and "swallow tattoo" i've come to the conclusion that people uploading these tattoos have no clue about birds. >_>

additional to the criteria mentioned by FMAR you can also distinguish them by their tail. swallows usually have a forked tail, while sparrow's tail is more like a square or a trapezoid.

on the topic of tattoos itself: after thinking about for a long time i got my first tattoo last year - an abstracted version of the solar system on my forearm. didn't hurt as much as i expected.

yeah sparrows are short and fat, swallows more elongated with a distinctive tail.
    primary school education, how does it werk.

Sparrow tats on hands are for ex cons in the UK, true facts

Oh yeah here's one of mine

Tapadong

Also some one page dorvil to this thread he has a tattoo shop

Tapadong

The guy at my shop tonight says, "What is a swallow tattoo? I've done sparrows, they are blue and red." That's with over a quarter century of in shop experience.

I'll post some of his birds tomorrow, on my way to a date, so here is the last tattoo I got to contribute to the thread:

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    I've always liked tattoos in theory, lots of my friends have them and I love girls with them, but i've never been one of those people who was enamoured with an image that i'd want it permenantly etched on my body, or be ok with having an array of shit tattoos that remind me of "being fucked that one time".
    I got a shit one.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    I got a shit one.
    That's funny, so did Dorvil.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

So, from a biological standpoint, sparrows should have a single tail and swallows have a forked tail, correct?
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

So, from a biological standpoint, sparrows should have a single tail and swallows have a forked tail, correct?
    I would look this kind of thing up for myself m8, that shit is permanent (unless you count getting it seared off your skin).
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    I would look this kind of thing up for myself m8, that shit is permanent (unless you count getting it seared off your skin).
    Hence the thred, meight
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Hence the thred, meight
    OK, so my second artist is in today, and he says the swallow has the forked tail, and that is the difference between the two (from a tattoo design perspective). He says color pattern doesn't matter.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Thanks man that was what I was thinking. So many swallows that are billed as sparrows on google image search
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Also post yet tats you Virgin skinned pukes!