hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 276 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Warships

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    It can't be as bad as World of War Planes.
    That is my only hope.

because i have heard, from several sides, its shit.. Hope dies last

I should have around 150ish alpha battles by now. The core gameplay with the different classes seems pretty solid.

Just a few battles in, but so far it seems really fun! Certainly not a disappointment like the new NF2...

Is there any gameplay videos out yet or is it all hush hush NDA stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

The NDA is still in effect for streaming and youtube videos, but people are supposedly breaking the shit out of it, so who knows how long it'll last. Its also making the alpha testing nerds really, really mad that people are breaking the NDA.
    Life Universe Everything (LUE) - Clockwork Pinapple

Quote Originally Posted by Elmnt80 View Post
    The NDA is still in effect for streaming and youtube videos, but people are supposedly breaking the shit out of it, so who knows how long it'll last. Its also making the alpha testing nerds really, really mad that people are breaking the NDA.
    Us Betas didn't sign any NDAs ^.^

And I'm too lazy to make any videos, so here is a picture album. Mostly beauty shots, but some display game mechanics, like the torpedo aiming. Graphics are pretty much maxed out (except for shadows which are deactivated) @ 1920x1080 and the game runs smooth like you wouldn't believe. In fact, I should flip shadows back on and see it then (deactivated them because of port performance, but it didn't help). The only place where the game shows microstuttering is the port, but there graphics are superduperexquisite and I'm guessing it's a software problem, not hardware based and can be solved till release.

Gameplay is fun, straight forward and pretty accessable even without a tutorial. My personal pet-peeve is the HUD, which needs some cleaning up and improvement of readability.
    Last edited by Madner Kami; December 13 2014 at 03:47:20 PM.

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?" - xoxSAUERKRAUTxox

"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea and do new things." - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

i think this is actually quite fun, runs better already than world of tanks ever did. laggy, but its alpha servers and in the US.

the lack of Royal Navy ships is retarded though
    Last edited by evil edna; December 13 2014 at 04:36:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madner Kami View Post

And I'm too lazy to make any videos, so here is a picture album. Mostly beauty shots, but some display game mechanics, like the torpedo aiming. Graphics are pretty much maxed out (except for shadows which are deactivated) @ 1920x1080 and the game runs smooth like you wouldn't believe. In fact, I should flip shadows back on and see it then (deactivated them because of port performance, but it didn't help). The only place where the game shows microstuttering is the port, but there graphics are superduperexquisite and I'm guessing it's a software problem, not hardware based and can be solved till release.

Gameplay is fun, straight forward and pretty accessable even without a tutorial. My personal pet-peeve is the HUD, which needs some cleaning up and improvement of readability.
    When you hit that "I Accept" button for the EULA, you were saying yes to the NDA and your email is plastered all over those screen shots (Ditch the hotmail there buddy). And wargaming has alpha and beta weekend nuthuggers hunting down people pretty hard in regards to this. http://forum.worldofwarships.com/ind...streamsvideos/

And the lack of UK ships is odd, but eh. The most notable naval battles in WWII were without a doubt in the pacific, where it was largely the US and Japan duking it out. Germany or Britain should have been 3rd, but WG has to keep the home market happy I guess.
    Last edited by Elmnt80; December 14 2014 at 09:40:43 AM.
    Life Universe Everything (LUE) - Clockwork Pinapple

Last edited by iLOL; December 14 2014 at 01:26:25 PM.

It's basically WoT without terrain and resulting gun depression/elevation/hulldown/peekaboo/sidescraping aspect of gameplay.

Imagine WoT on a straight, even map with several houses dispersed here and there and slower shells. WoT in 2d, basically.

What killed it for me is, again, lack of ballistics. Use magic sight, point on green cursor point, click, shoot, receive bacon. A bit of leading required.

Unless they really pick up the gameplay with planes and torps, it's gonna be even more boring faster than WoT, until the "ooooh shiney i grinded a new ship" wears off.

YMMV and to each his/her own
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; December 14 2014 at 02:50:58 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Lack of ballistics is actually retarded. It's the most important aspect of long range fire and then they don't include it? wtf
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordin Varglund View Post
    Lack of ballistics is actually retarded. It's the most important aspect of long range fire and then they don't include it? wtf
    No idea what he is babbeling about. Ballistic trajectories are a staple of the game.

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?" - xoxSAUERKRAUTxox

"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea and do new things." - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

dont get me wrong, shots actually do go up before they go down, but they work more or less like in wot: you aim at a spot, turrets automatically go up/down to hit that spot. you dont actually aim yourself "above" a remote target to actually hit it, like in warthunder tanks

you put the cursor on enemy ship until it shows green, then shoot a bit in front of it. basically wot simple ballistics combined with navyfield auto dcs or whatever it was called.

edit: unless something changed in the gameplay/ballistics mechanics since about 2 months ago

edit: also seas are mirror surface flat, there's no waves that mess up with your aiming, boats dont rock and all guns have basically perfect gyroscopes, regardless of what maneuver you're doing it's always same difficulty to shoot at an enemy as long as your turrets turn left/right fast enough

again, i played 2 months ago so I dunno if they added some complexity to aiming/shooting but those videos above dont seem to show it's the case
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; December 14 2014 at 05:20:34 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

It's exactly as you describe, however I fail to see why that is a problem. WoWs is an Arcade game, not a simulator. It never was advertised differently and it doesn't detract from the game's value.

I just find it a bit ridiculous at battleship level, if it was patrol boats fighting each other i'd have no problem with it whatsoever.

Take into consideration I'm a jaded ex-WoTer who hates everything Wargaming does out of completely personal reasons so grain of salt etc

Quote Originally Posted by Tordin Varglund View Post
    No idea what he is babbeling about. Ballistic trajectories are a staple of the game.
    It was a hastily and poorly constructed reply to the post above. What I meant to say is that manual adjustment of range should absolutely be in the game. I've watched a bit of gameplay by now, and its extremely basic. Because it lacks any real terrain etc, there is significantly less to pay attention in terms of maneuvering etc, which means that the overall skill level is lowered significantly from WoT etc. Having to adjust sights manually would add an additional level. Not including it makes the gameplay extremely shallow.
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

You can adjust range at will. You basically are always only shooting the ground, not ships and the like. There also is no autoaim (unless you count the minimal torp aiming assist you get), except for your guns "snapping" to a target in sniper view in so far, as they compensate for vertical traverse movements.

Maybe i'm just not seeing it right then. Either way, did they mention if they were going to have more of these in the future? I'm going home over xmas and I need something to occupy my time.
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

When you hit that "I Accept" button for the EULA, you were saying yes to the NDA and your email is plastered all over those screen shots (Ditch the hotmail there buddy). And wargaming has alpha and beta weekend nuthuggers hunting down people pretty hard in regards to this. http://forum.worldofwarships.com/ind...streamsvideos/

And the lack of UK ships is odd, but eh. The most notable naval battles in WWII were without a doubt in the pacific, where it was largely the US and Japan duking it out. Germany or Britain should have been 3rd, but WG has to keep the home market happy I guess.

Considering Russia had like 3 old battleships in WW2 their whole tech trees going to be all kind of theoretical bullshit that happens to be really good #justwargamingthings

P much. Russian tree should be the last one to be implemented. USN/IJN -> RN/KM -> MN/RM ->Blyat_boats
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.