hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 268 of 289 FirstFirst ... 168218258265266267268269270271278 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,360 of 5762

Thread: World of Warships

Patch is up on NA, it's got a fair bit of installing/repacking files, took 25-30 minutes even with my SSD. I had time to outfit the Iron Duke before having to leave for work. I also purchased and fully equipped/upgraded Charles "The Hammer" Martel last night and played some matches. I suppose this makes as good a time as any to talk about the French cruisers I've played thus far.

Tier 5 - Emile Bertin - I quite liked this one. At 39 knots base it's not only one of the fastest cruisers in the game it's one of the fastest ships in the game. It doesn't get a speed boost but it doesn't need it, since it's faster than several of its successors even when they're boosting. The ballistics on the guns are pretty good and the AP penetration is alright, though nothing really spectacular (trends that will hold true for all of the rest of the ships here). The rate of fire is a bit low but it's also one of the only cruisers at tier 5 with a modern layout, instead of something like the Emerald or Omaha. Torpedoes are pretty good, 9km range and 60 knots speed with solid damage, a straight upgrade from the German cruiser torpedoes save for you have fewer tubes to launch from. Emile has a triple launcher on each side. Your armor is essentially nonexistent, though, capping at 30mm, so you need to be on your toes at all times.

Tier 6 - La Galissonnierre - I am unable to pronounce this and refer it as the Glossolalia. This one was a huge disappointment. After the 39 knots of the Emile dropping to 31 knots base was pretty saddening. You do get an engine boost consumable and it is 15% instead of the traditional 8% and 3 minutes instead of 2, but all that means is that for a short period while the consumable is running you're only as fast as your competition, not faster. Compared to the other tier 6 cruisers this thing pretty much falls flat on its face, the Budyonny is miles ahead, with the Galissonnierre's only advantages being good mid-range AA thanks to a suite of 40mm Bofors and longer range torpedoes, but you only get 2 tubes per side. What do you do with two torpedoes on a slow, highly visible light cruiser? Even at suicide range they probably won't kill a battleship, maybe won't even kill a cruiser, depending on protection or saturation, even if you manage to land both of them. I also don't understand the inexplicably low RPM on the main battery. Feels like a downgrade from the Emile. Not a downgrade relative to tier, just straight downgrade. At least it has a ~100mm belt, so that's something. If you're going to skip something after tier 5, I vote this one.

Tier 7 - Algerie - This was a slight improvement over the tier 6, but not too much. It's still only 31 knots so all those complaints hold. It has the same 4x2 setup as the Yorck and gets 8" guns with good ballistics, but like all tier 7 heavy cruisers feels very anemic. I love cruisers but they really seem to hit a slump at tier 7/8. The 8" guns many of them mount just don't seem to do enough damage to offset their low rate of fire. It's also much too visible, as it can't mount the concealment mod like the tier 8s. The AA is also quite underwhelming, but it at least gets that third torpedo tube back. Overall a pretty bland ship, not as bad as the tier 6 but if you're feeling spendy then totally worth skipping.

Tier 8 - Charles Martel - Finally we get out of the 31 knot rut. Additionally, the speed boost goes from 15% to 20%, so you can hit 39 knots for three minutes. You settle into a conventional 3x3 8" arrangement with decent armor and pretty good medium range AA thanks to a number of 40mm Bofors (all French secondaries and by extension long range AA seem quite bad). The base concealment is a let down, but at least it's not the Hipper (which I think is the slogan I'll end up remembering this ship by). Unfortunately, like the New Orleans and Hipper, this ship just feels like you're marking time while waiting for the tier 9 ship with heal. It's not like the Chapayev that introduces radar and is the ultimate distillation of the Soviet 6" gun cruiser, or the Mogami with the brutal 15x155mm Japanese HE salvoes, it's just...there. I do find it amusing that a ship named Charles Martel, who killed a bunch of Berbers, succeeds a ship named after Algeria, where a bunch of those Berbers came from.

Haven't gotten to tier 9 but I'm increasingly concerned it'll be a similar feel. Finally it'll get a heal but it will just be average and dull. It's the 240mm boomsticks of the Henri IV I'm really looking forward to. It doesn't look to have the same insane gun power as the Moskva, but it does look close, and it gets some torpedoes, greater speed, and slightly better stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aranial View Post
    Clemson, Budy, Fuso, Hindenburg, Kharb, Zao, fiji etc.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk
    I'd add the Furutaka, it penetrates like crazy almost everything, it's ridiculous how many citadel hits you get with the damn thing. I think I caused some massive rage during the past week since I found Yuro's video about it

Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Just started playing this. Doing ijn and uss - so far got Kuma that is fucking amazing, Isokaze that is almost as cool yo play and Phoenix that i like a lot too but really needed those upgrades to shine. But the problem is BBs that I tried too - got Wyoming and Kawachi and holy fuck are those harf to play well. With SoCal and Wyoming at least I got pretty good range but damn are those things slow and shooting slowly as fuck. Any tips for low lvl bb plays not to suck so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Voulture View Post
    Just started playing this. Doing ijn and uss - so far got Kuma that is fucking amazing, Isokaze that is almost as cool yo play and Phoenix that i like a lot too but really needed those upgrades to shine. But the problem is BBs that I tried too - got Wyoming and Kawachi and holy fuck are those harf to play well. With SoCal and Wyoming at least I got pretty good range but damn are those things slow and shooting slowly as fuck. Any tips for low lvl bb plays not to suck so hard?

Edit: Battleship play depends a lot on what you play. There are some that do well at range and some which do well whilst close up, it generally depends a lot on the embedded stats (dispersion, turret rotation speed, presence or absence of torpedoes, penetration/shell speed, etc), but also on the captain points.
    Last edited by Cosmin; August 31 2017 at 11:55:40 AM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Think ahead and prepare your ship for what you want to do well in advance of beginning to do what you want to do (e.g. swing turrets around before going around an island).
    Avoid shooting targets that are bow-on to you and pretty much always favour whatever target goes broadside (or, to be precise, be prepared to switch your target to whoever allows you penetrate his citadel).
    Generally, stick more towards the middle of the maps and avoid going far away from the middle of the map.
    Try to lead advances, but do not overextend. Always make sure you got backup before you go balls deep.
    Don't waste your damage control on single fires, let them burn for a while and then repair the damage with your repair party and avoid wasting your heal before you can maximize the gain (don't use a repair party to rep 500 damage).
    Full broadsides might be fun and both visually and in terms of sound, but always keep your ship angled nicely, even if that means you can only fire half your turrets.

Battleships are actually fairly easy to play and fairly forgiving for the most part. Unless you manage to run face first into a wall of torpedoes or get isolated from your team, you'll have an easy time doing what you do. Just think ahead and don't play by the seat of your pants.

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?" - xoxSAUERKRAUTxox

"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea and do new things." - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

Apparently I've been playing the Iron Duke wrong this whole time. I know the British battleships were supposed to have "good" HE, but I didn't realize exactly how insane it was. The tech tree Queen Elizabeth has fully 1,000 more damage per HE shell than the Warspite, and at tier 5 with 13.5" guns the Iron Duke has 200 more damage per HE shell than Montana at tier 10 with 16" (and one more gun, for that matter). Combine this with the fuses that detonate in half the time of their counterparts, their inferior penetration per tier (Kongo vs Iron Duke is a real laugh), and the swarms of heavily armored British battleships sailing about means apparently I was supposed to be firing HE almost all the time.

I should also mention this halved fuse time on AP really ruins cruisers. I dealt 20k damage to a Cleveland just from a mix of overpens and standard pens, no citadel in sight.

UK Battleship day, good, bad, and ugly:

Good:
    1. Bello, Orion and Iron Duke (all free, thanks Missions) all performed very well IMO, 1-2 games each last night. That HE spam from range is just flat out fun.
    2. Averaged 2-3 kills per round, very good for me (I. generally a 1:1 guy kill/game wise).
    3. They all seemed to turn pretty well at speed, and answer their rudders moderately well for Battleships. Avoided 2 chasing Destroyers and torps at 2-4 km for alot longer than I expected in my Bello.

Bad:
    1. Slow Boats are Slow.
    2. Turrets Need WD40, badly.
    3. You can try and avoid Destroyers, but they will eventually catch you.
    4. Despite playign well and being top on team in 3-4 games, lost 75% of the games played.

Ugly:
    1. 11 Bello vs 11 Bello makes for a lol game.
    3. No Premium Camo for any o fthe three, and the available Camo looks horrible on them. Half tempted to not use Camo purely for visual aesthetic reasons.

Only got 4-5 games in (time is so limited right now) but enjoyed every battle very much.

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?" - xoxSAUERKRAUTxox

"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea and do new things." - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

So how do i fight them with my Kimchi-Kawaii tier 3 bb? I just use AP like on everything else that is a bb right?

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
    Tier 8 - Charles Martel - Finally we get out of the 31 knot rut. Additionally, the speed boost goes from 15% to 20%, so you can hit 39 knots for three minutes. You settle into a conventional 3x3 8" arrangement with decent armor and pretty good medium range AA thanks to a number of 40mm Bofors (all French secondaries and by extension long range AA seem quite bad). The base concealment is a let down, but at least it's not the Hipper (which I think is the slogan I'll end up remembering this ship by). Unfortunately, like the New Orleans and Hipper, this ship just feels like you're marking time while waiting for the tier 9 ship with heal. It's not like the Chapayev that introduces radar and is the ultimate distillation of the Soviet 6" gun cruiser, or the Mogami with the brutal 15x155mm Japanese HE salvoes, it's just...there. I do find it amusing that a ship named Charles Martel, who killed a bunch of Berbers, succeeds a ship named after Algeria, where a bunch of those Berbers came from.

Haven't gotten to tier 9 but I'm increasingly concerned it'll be a similar feel. Finally it'll get a heal but it will just be average and dull. It's the 240mm boomsticks of the Henri IV I'm really looking forward to. It doesn't look to have the same insane gun power as the Moskva, but it does look close, and it gets some torpedoes, greater speed, and slightly better stealth.
    Tier 8 and 9 are lot better than they first feel, some say they are best ships in that ship tree. Play style is often somewhat boring, mostly sit at long range and spam fires (very good fire chances in HE) while using excellent agility to evade bb's shooting you and just run around. Ships are decently sturdy for being cruisers, though as always lucky citadels happen but they are difficult targets for bb's as they are very slippery and agile (especially when speed boost is running).
    Despite meh feel tier 9 is maybe best cruiser in its tier. Yes tier 9 ship is similar than t8.

Quote Originally Posted by sahtila View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahak View Post

Tier 8 and 9 are lot better than they first feel, some say they are best ships in that ship tree. Play style is often somewhat boring, mostly sit at long range and spam fires (very good fire chances in HE) while using excellent agility to evade bb's shooting you and just run around. Ships are decently sturdy for being cruisers, though as always lucky citadels happen but they are difficult targets for bb's as they are very slippery and agile (especially when speed boost is running).
    Despite meh feel tier 9 is maybe best cruiser in its tier. Yes tier 9 ship is similar than t8.
    Agreed, the t8 and t9 are the best ships in their tier and the best in the line.

It'll have to be quite something to replace the Donskoi as my favorite tier 9 cruiser. That one at least felt novel, unlike all the others which just felt like toned down versions of their tier 10s or tuned up versions of their tier 8s. Or both.

Yeah, okay, i retract the best in tier, but highest damage potential of their tier is more accurate. Lacks radar for utility and game winning plays.

The new muzzle blasts look kinda' cool from some angles:
      Spoiler:

But from others they're a bit much:
      Spoiler:

Thankfully this latter view is only for a split second and from a very particular view.
    Last edited by Dahak; September 1 2017 at 01:40:06 AM.

Yeah, the new visuals for muzzle blast are nice from most angles, reminds of the tale that when HMS Agincourt opened fire at Jutland with all 7 turrets, Beatty supposedly thought another battlecruiser had exploded. Now we just need new AAA effects, since the first time a new USN battleship (North Carolina?) opened up with ALL its anti-aircraft batteries, USS Enterprise radioed back to them to find out how badly she had been hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Ways View Post
    Yeah, the new visuals for muzzle blast are nice from most angles, reminds of the tale that when HMS Agincourt opened fire at Jutland with all 7 turrets, Beatty supposedly thought another battlecruiser had exploded. Now we just need new AAA effects, since the first time a new USN battleship (North Carolina?) opened up with ALL its anti-aircraft batteries, USS Enterprise radioed back to them to find out how badly she had been hit.
    I think it was the NC. Perhaps with the introduction of Dx11 we can see those soon.

Unrelated, it is with great disappointment that I report the Queen Elizabeth is nowhere near as suited to secondary spec as the Warspite. RIP impractical fun.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Grinding British BB line has been fun. Started with the Duke @ tier 5, which was a bit 'meh'. But the Queen was solid as I'm used to the Warspite and I am currently with George, which is an amazing boat. Lolcitadels cruisers with ease from any range with AP and burns down BB's like there's no tomorrow with HE. It's not a tanky boat, but its great concealment lets you slip out of trouble fairly easy to make up for it. I have a feeling this is going to be a quick and enjoyable grind all the way up to tier X.

So apparently we got EU clan? How do i join? I am new.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Whats your ingame nickname?

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Whats your ingame nickname?
    Voulture @ EU