hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3340414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: "It just works" Linux aka "Anything better than Ubuntu?"

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Windowmaker all the way

Actually there's a madlad out there that has taken it upon himself to make a Nextstep like window manager from scratch. I've tested it and it's quite nice:

https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    I tried running xubuntu on the thinkpad I just got, and it was miserable (stuttering performance mostly), which surprised me because I usually have a xubuntu live iso on hand as my go-to emergency all platform booter.
    I used Xubuntu on my X1 Carbon gen 1 since new, works great. I also used it on my X1 Extreme without issues although I had to move back to Win10 on it for work.
    /shrug experiences like this are why i don't recommend linux to normal folk.

and yeah, KDE/plasma has been way more fun to rice than xfce or unity/gnome.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

On Windows, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to a desktop icon that points to anything regarded as executable (scripts, programs). Is there something similar in Linux Mint Cinnamon? Or is this something where the various desktop managers come into play and Cinnamon doesn't support this?

By using a new OS, it's these little things you've been using for decades, that are hard to figure out are strange and can become a real annoyance.

E.g. jumping to a specific tab in Firefox on Windows is CTRL+<number>, but it's apparently ALT+<number> in Linux ... I bet there's some valid historical reason for this, I suspect that because Windows traditionally uses the ALT+<key> for accessing the menu of an application and Linux desktops handle(d) that differently, might be it. But well, it has become so muscle-memorized for me by now, it's really hard to break that habbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    On Windows, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to a desktop icon that points to anything regarded as executable (scripts, programs). Is there something similar in Linux Mint Cinnamon? Or is this something where the various desktop managers come into play and Cinnamon doesn't support this?

By using a new OS, it's these little things you've been using for decades, that are hard to figure out are strange and can become a real annoyance.

E.g. jumping to a specific tab in Firefox on Windows is CTRL+<number>, but it's apparently ALT+<number> in Linux ... I bet there's some valid historical reason for this, I suspect that because Windows traditionally uses the ALT+<key> for accessing the menu of an application and Linux desktops handle(d) that differently, might be it. But well, it has become so muscle-memorized for me by now, it's really hard to break that habbit.
    If you don't have a fully programmable keyboard you can always have a look here, maybe it helps?

https://github.com/jordansissel/xdotool

You should be able to install it with the package manager.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

If you don't have a fully programmable keyboard you can always have a look here, maybe it helps?
    Ha, that thread revealed something I wasn't aware of:
    Most Desktop Environments (DE) include a built-in keyboard shortcut editor. Using the shortcut editor, you can write custom bash scripts, console commands, etc.
    Haven't seen that and don't know how it works, but that alone might juts do it. Otherwise this + the there and by erich mentioned xdotool should do it. I went to that repository first, but wasn't sure how that alone would solve my task, but the combination of both surely does.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/...minnesota_for/

TL;DR Moron introduces a string of faulty patches (continuously without reverting or informing anyone) on purpose to test how feasible it is to exploit OSS software that way for his research paper, kernel maintainers blows a gasket (understandably) and bans the entire university. Moron sends this gem to the kernel branch maintainer:

Greg,

I respectfully ask you to cease and desist from making wild accusations that are bordering on slander.

These patches were sent as part of a new static analyzer that I wrote and it's sensitivity is obviously not great. I sent patches on the hopes to get feedback. We are not experts in the linux kernel and repeatedly making these statements is disgusting to hear.

Obviously, it is a wrong step but your preconceived biases are so strong that you make allegations without merit nor give us any benefit of doubt. I will not be sending any more patches due to the attitude that is not only unwelcome but also intimidating to newbies and non experts.
    "My research team wants to investigate the safety of the airplane industry. We'll use our existing contract as cleaning crew of a large commercial company, and will purposefully unscrew some stuff around (we don't really know much about airplanes) and see whether it will be found by maintenance crews. Ethics? What kind of bread is that, does it taste good?"
    Last edited by helgur; April 22 2021 at 08:28:12 AM.

Omg read this yesterday on HN, the entitlement is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post

TL;DR Moron introduces a string of faulty patches (continuously without reverting or informing anyone) on purpose to test how feasible it is to exploit OSS software that way for his research paper, kernel maintainers blows a gasket (understandably) and bans the entire university. Moron sends this gem to the kernel branch maintainer:

Greg,

I respectfully ask you to cease and desist from making wild accusations that are bordering on slander.

These patches were sent as part of a new static analyzer that I wrote and it's sensitivity is obviously not great. I sent patches on the hopes to get feedback. We are not experts in the linux kernel and repeatedly making these statements is disgusting to hear.

Obviously, it is a wrong step but your preconceived biases are so strong that you make allegations without merit nor give us any benefit of doubt. I will not be sending any more patches due to the attitude that is not only unwelcome but also intimidating to newbies and non experts.
    "My research team wants to investigate the safety of the airplane industry. We'll use our existing contract as cleaning crew of a large commercial company, and will purposefully unscrew some stuff around (we don't really know much about airplanes) and see whether it will be found by maintenance crews. Ethics? What kind of bread is that, does it taste good?"
    And now the entire University is blacklisted

Oh boy I bet they're having a wonderful conversation with the Dean's office
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

Greg,

Seeing this I'm pretty sure some people will require vaseline to sit down over the following weeks.

Linux Kernel maintainers have long been known for their sense of humor.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

Greg,

Seeing this I'm pretty sure some people will require vaseline to sit down over the following weeks.
    GKH knew exactly what he was doing when he blacklisted the University. This has now embarrassed the Dean and the Board. I would be unsurprised if those those students and their professor are "no longer associated with" UMN in a week or two.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Looking to switch from 1Password (v4) to Bitwarden because of subscription shenanigans. Apparently Bitwarden has this as well but their free account allows for self-hosting.

Question is now - what to pick for self-hosting as an OS? I understand that the host means fiddling with Docker and stuff, I just wonder what would be the most secure environment to deploy it in. I was thinking CentOS on a rPi mk4 and experiment then go from there - maybe deploy a VM when I finally assemble my storage/VM machine at one point.

Thoughts?

Is there a specific reason that you are using these web-based services?

If not, take a look at KeePass. It has builtin support for opening a database via FTP, HTTP, HTTPS and WebDAV. That perhaps would make it easier for you to pick the server environment.

There are also various plugins for sync/online storage.

Is there a specific reason that you are using these web-based services?

If not, take a look at KeePass. It has builtin support for opening a database via FTP, HTTP, HTTPS and WebDAV. That perhaps would make it easier for you to pick the server environment.

There are also various plugins for sync/online storage.
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Further UMN scenes with GHK not having any of those fuckos and their non-pology "sorry we got caught, sorry you feel that way about it" bullshit.

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/YIV+pLR...0xQ@kroah.com/
    Last edited by Malcanis; April 26 2021 at 12:53:48 PM.

That slap is absolutely delicious, I hope UMN remains banned forever. Or at least until all the guilty parties involved are thrown out the door and have their access to academia blocked. I am now curious to see the letter the Linux Kernel Maintainers sent to UMN and what their requirements were.

"Sorry you're mad, bro"

"Yeah, sorry about your academic career, bro"

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    First I've heard of it, and I live in MN. Will have a poke around to see if there are any articles.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/0...0-ti-announced

NVIDIA are bringing DLSS to Proton, or so they say. That'll be nice if I ever get to buy a DLSS capable card.