hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 273435363738394047 ... LastLast

Thread: "It just works" Linux aka "Anything better than Ubuntu?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    No, it's the hardcoded name of the executable.

I think elmicker brought me on the right track. As mentioned, I'm still a newbie and one challenge I'm currently facing the problem to try to figure out which bash reads what files (e.g. .bashrc, .bash_aliases, .zshrc, .profile etc.) My current working hypothesis is that I got a duplicate alias somewhere.
    Common problem, because of historical reasons this is all a bit of a mess. Made even more complicated by the fact that which files are read changes depending on how the shell is started. (interactive/login/no-tty/moonphase)

What can help is to read this http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...s/profile.html and this https://stackoverflow.com/a/415444

And then add something like this into each file:

echo 'this is in <filename>' >> ~/files_that_are_read_on_shell_start

at least then you have an idea what files are actually read when loginin/starting a console.
    (edit: replace <filename> wiht the actual filename of the file. I'm sure there is some magic that could make that happen, but I'm equally sure some things, like "sourcing" a script would break it)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    No, it's the hardcoded name of the executable.

I think elmicker brought me on the right track. As mentioned, I'm still a newbie and one challenge I'm currently facing the problem to try to figure out which bash reads what files (e.g. .bashrc, .bash_aliases, .zshrc, .profile etc.) My current working hypothesis is that I got a duplicate alias somewhere.
    Common problem, because of historical reasons this is all a bit of a mess. Made even more complicated by the fact that which files are read changes depending on how the shell is started. (interactive/login/no-tty/moonphase)
    And here I come from a Windows world, having been told for decades that such an "unaccpetable mess" is unthinkable in the bestest OS in the world!

I blame my boss, though. I've got everything working the way I like it in plain old bash. Then he started to advertise his beloved zsh to me ... and I finally gave in.

What can help is to read this http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...s/profile.html and this https://stackoverflow.com/a/415444

And then add something like this into each file:

echo 'this is in <filename>' >> ~/files_that_are_read_on_shell_start

at least then you have an idea what files are actually read when loginin/starting a console.
    (edit: replace <filename> wiht the actual filename of the file. I'm sure there is some magic that could make that happen, but I'm equally sure some things, like "sourcing" a script would break it)
    Useful links, thx mate!

And here I come from a Windows world, having been told for decades that such an "unaccpetable mess" is unthinkable in the bestest OS in the world!

Well, less "messiness" is probably not its strongest side.
    But, you can always find out and fix what is not working.

I blame my boss, though. I've got everything working the way I like it in plain old bash. Then he started to advertise his beloved zsh to me ... and I finally gave in.

Useful links, thx mate!
    You're welcome. If you want interesting shells, have a look at fish. I have not used it, but there are people who love it.

As a matter of fact, I've switched about three weeks ago. The only thing I'm missing so far (but according to github issues, it's being worked on) is recalling history via CTRL+R. However, fish offers it's own alternative:

(greyed-out part of theremembered command will get autocompleted on pressing right arrow)
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Just curious, what are you using for your photography needs in terms of software on Linux? I know Gimp was a thing but working with RAW files?

I am really annoyed recently my Intel SSD that I changed had 983TB host writes (41370 hours total) and my current Samsung 860Evo already has 1.15TB host writes after only 217 hours which is sincerely frightening. I am sick of Windows. (yes I tweaked stuff like pagefile and what not and TRIM and whatever but still).

Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    As a matter of fact, I've switched about three weeks ago. The only thing I'm missing so far (but according to github issues, it's being worked on) is recalling history via CTRL+R. However, fish offers it's own alternative:

(greyed-out part of theremembered command will get autocompleted on pressing right arrow)
    For history, I use hstr, independent of the shell. Worked in bash, works in zsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Just curious, what are you using for your photography needs in terms of software on Linux? I know Gimp was a thing but working with RAW files?

I am really annoyed recently my Intel SSD that I changed had 983TB host writes (41370 hours total) and my current Samsung 860Evo already has 1.15TB host writes after only 217 hours which is sincerely frightening. I am sick of Windows. (yes I tweaked stuff like pagefile and what not and TRIM and whatever but still).
    I did use Darktable for the longest time, but decided to go the way of the lesser resistance and have been using Lightroom CC on my Win10 box for a few months now :/ The interface was a bit choppy, which I could live with, but what finally did me in was the awkwardness that was dust spotting (can't rightly remember the name of the tool now). Keybindings do not have sane defaults and cannot be configured on a per-tool basis, AFAIK.

Anyway, DT is still being worked on, so it's probably better now than it was back then vOv
    Last edited by halka; May 15 2020 at 10:17:57 AM.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

I just upgraded from Xubuntu 19.10 to 20.04 on this laptop. The upgrade was rather painless, I have only spotted two issues for now, one was that the font I used in the terminal is no longer included (fixed by changing to someting else) and GNS3 isn't working.

The GUI itself feels smoother than 19.10.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

So, been trying iTunes with Wine because I managed to get my dad onto Mint. After upgrading everything back up (sudo apt-get was not touched in like a year + on that lappie), iTunes under Wine shows dark grey text on black text. Thing is dad has an iPhone XR which I'm trying to configure so he can just straight up use it. WINE on Mint is quite ok, but can't get iTunes to work.

Alternative is to just use my mom's lappie which is using Windows 7 for configuring as they'll be sharing the music library and what not but I really would have liked to pair the thing with Dad's Vaio running Mint.

Ideas?

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    So, been trying iTunes with Wine because I managed to get my dad onto Mint. After upgrading everything back up (sudo apt-get was not touched in like a year + on that lappie), iTunes under Wine shows dark grey text on black text. Thing is dad has an iPhone XR which I'm trying to configure so he can just straight up use it. WINE on Mint is quite ok, but can't get iTunes to work.

Alternative is to just use my mom's lappie which is using Windows 7 for configuring as they'll be sharing the music library and what not but I really would have liked to pair the thing with Dad's Vaio running Mint.

Ideas?
    Out of interest, what's the need to pair with iTunes these days?

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post

Ideas?
    You can't initialize the iPhone without connecting it to a computer running iTunes. You can't back it up. Plus some other retarded stuff I can't quite remember now.

And before "get an Android", that was the point, not to get an Android. It's much easier for me to keep an eye on what they're doing on their phones and troubleshoot whenever they do some dumb stuff, plus the locations and what not.

Plus library sharing for apps and music and so on.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft

Ideas?
    You can't initialize the iPhone without connecting it to a computer running iTunes. You can't back it up. Plus some other retarded stuff I can't quite remember now.

And before "get an Android", that was the point, not to get an Android. It's much easier for me to keep an eye on what they're doing on their phones and troubleshoot whenever they do some dumb stuff, plus the locations and what not.

Shirley you can do all of this with the magic of iCloud?
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs

Nope, it needs to be connected to a computer first. At least this one is (XR).

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    That's odd, i'm able to activate new iPhones without connecting to a computer. My iCloud also peforms backups, all without a computer and iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

this hasn't been true since like 2010

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

Ideas?

Shirley you can do all of this with the magic of iCloud?
    To add to the train... there's easy ways to lockdown android and monitor what people are doing

Ok will investigate further this weekend and see what's up.

I usually prefer local backups as opposed to iCloud backups but will have to do if can't sort out the wine thingie may try out an OS X VM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used iPhone since 2016 (iPhone 8 and iPhone XS) and neither have been anywhere near iTunes. My daughter got an iPhone 7 last year, took it out of the box, created an appleid and put it under my account. Voila. Why you would go about it the way that is described above is beyond me.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Is this another case of "Cosmin solves a problem in the most complex way possible"?
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs