hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2027282930313233 LastLast

Thread: "It just works" Linux aka "Anything better than Ubuntu?"

It does but it can't fix broken hardware yet.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    It does but it can't fix broken hardware yet.
    Keckers disapproves of activities that don't support the consumerist oligarchy.

BTW, I'm hoping that this won't end up with a new OS installation, as would be inevitable with some operating systems, but if it does, I'm minded to give some other distribution a try. Probably a KDE one to see if I like it better than guhnome.
    Last edited by Malcanis; September 4 2019 at 04:32:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

I might be a bit late to the party, but one of the fstab options allows normal users to mount drives. That’s the one you probably want.

Idk about random reboots. What does kernel.log say?
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I might be a bit late to the party, but one of the fstab options allows normal users to mount drives. That’s the one you probably want.

Idk about random reboots. What does kernel.log say?
    Ain't looked into it yet, I'm at my dad's. Tuesday is pc fixing day

EDIT2: Home. I can't dispel an uneasy suspicion that all that CHMODding and FSTABing about have in some way jiggered with the 1TB NVME, especially as I had to physically remove it to get the PC to boot.
    Last edited by Malcanis; September 9 2019 at 09:09:16 PM.
    I love Malcanis!

So the state of play this morning was: the PC would boot with 1 stick @ 2133Mhz just fine, although sometimes it would take a couple of tries to do so. Either stick worked, but definitely not with both. Tried sticks in different slots, yadda yadda.

While running the memtests (God it's dull watching that) I got bored and started to fiddle with things because I have the boredom threshold of a monkey on Angel Dust. I noticed a bit of dust on one of the memory sockets, and in fact the board was kinda slightly dusty. So I started blowing dust off the board, quite hard. Hard enough, in fact to make the 8-pin power cable move just very slightly, which instantly made the PC restart.

>Suspicion.mp4

Yeah, sure enough, the 8-pin plug was just barely in the socket. Unplugged, blew away a bit more dust and reseated it good and firmly.

PC boots with 2 sticks and 1Tb NVME drive all plugged in, nbd.

I am truly cross with myself because 5 years of tech support drilled home the lesson "Always check the obvious basics first", and I got lost in the weeds without following my own first principle of problem solving.

EDIT: As punishment, no drinks for malcy today, even though it's my last day off. I'd sit on the naughty step, but I feel like watching 50 mins of memtest covers the basics there. I will sip my penitence-Vimto and think about what I did wrong.
    Last edited by Malcanis; September 10 2019 at 11:40:49 AM.
    I love Malcanis!

LOL, at least it was a cheap fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    LOL, at least it was a cheap fix.
    Yeah, that's some comfort, especially as I cannot for the life of me remember where I put the old 2x8Gb DDR3000 RAM sticks (the obvious next step was to try those).

All I can think of was that I didn't quite click the cable in properly when I rebuilt the PC a year or so ago, and things were fine until I upgraded and therefore moved the PC around a fair bit and it worked looser. The PC sits at the end of the desk, so it's subject to a little bit of vibration when I type, use the mouse, move chair, etc., and I guess it got to the point where that movement was enough to wiggle the power.

Of course now I'm back where I started with respect to Steam being a little bitch about saving to the 1Tb drive which has been reinstalled with it's "Can't save to a read-only drive" bullshit. Yes I checked the Drives utility, and the "make visible" box is checked. I just now re-entered the CHOWN command, and that didn't change anything, although maybe it needs a reboot. It feels like a problem for later today. Now I'm just gonna put some music on and play a game.

Playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTu5ltfX2dw
    I love Malcanis!

I would say this one is more fitting for the occasion: https://youtu.be/LRP8d7hhpoQ

At some stage I might plug in an old 660GTX collecting dust here to see if I can have a bit of Quake II / Unreal Tournament 2003 fun.

Apparently I have learned something from all this because I sorted out the drive p. easily after lunch. All checking fstab and commenting out the suspect line after using df to check drive IDs and making it work like some kind of person who could briefly bluff a naive bystander into thinking I knew what I was doing :getin:

PS I prefer Cohen's version.
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I just now re-entered the CHOWN command
    This is almost never the right fix, btw. The right mount options are what you must learn, as you've probably figured out, it sounds like.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I just now re-entered the CHOWN command
    This is almost never the right fix, btw. The right mount options are what you must learn, as you've probably figured out, it sounds like.
    Yeah, it's on the list of things I have learned and indeed have been reminded of.

This is a job that would have been easy for me in Windows because I climbed this learning curve in the mid 90s. I am consoled that I am sauntering up the slopes rather easier and cheaper than I did back then.
    I love Malcanis!

So I bought into the "Manjaro is user friendly" and "Manjaro is good for noobs now" hype and tried to install it on my dualbooting laptop that has been running W10 and Mint for years.
    Told it to replace mint and expected it to work.
    I wanted to give it a go cause my previous tests on a differnt machine has shown Manjaro to be damn fast. And mint is not.

well. manjaro now works. but it f-ed up the boot loader so now i can't access the bios any more (unless i first enter windows and go the long way around) and it links me to a windows recovery thing instead of the windows boot loader.

If I hold f12 on boot i can select win from there and then it works. So why not from the regular bootloader that is supoposed to point to the same device?
    I went to the manjaro forums and found endless threads from peole with the same problem. But none of the sugested fixes solved it. Seems like it didn't solve it for anyone else either judging by the forum responses.

oh well.
    guess Manjaro still has some way to go before it is realy "noob friendly".

tl;dr: rant. shit is broken. I probably missed something but it's not as easy as advertised.

Did you install the bootloader oldschool BIOS MBR/GPT style, rather than with EFI-only support mode (edit: i.e. should have maybe had CSM off, install bootloader into existing ESP alongside Windows one)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifie...erface#CSMBOOT
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; September 10 2019 at 05:45:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    So I bought into the "Manjaro is user friendly" and "Manjaro is good for noobs now" hype and tried to install it on my dualbooting laptop that has been running W10 and Mint for years.
    Told it to replace mint and expected it to work.
    I wanted to give it a go cause my previous tests on a differnt machine has shown Manjaro to be damn fast. And mint is not.

well. manjaro now works. but it f-ed up the boot loader so now i can't access the bios any more (unless i first enter windows and go the long way around) and it links me to a windows recovery thing instead of the windows boot loader.

If I hold f12 on boot i can select win from there and then it works. So why not from the regular bootloader that is supoposed to point to the same device?
    I went to the manjaro forums and found endless threads from peole with the same problem. But none of the sugested fixes solved it. Seems like it didn't solve it for anyone else either judging by the forum responses.

oh well.
    guess Manjaro still has some way to go before it is realy "noob friendly".

tl;dr: rant. shit is broken. I probably missed something but it's not as easy as advertised.
    I consider myself warned.
    I love Malcanis!

This whole cable thing reminds me of a similar thing with BSODs when actually a power cable on a rack of HDDs was slightly loose. Took me 3 days to figure it out :/
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Did you install the bootloader oldschool BIOS MBR/GPT style, rather than with EFI-only support mode (edit: i.e. should have maybe had CSM off, install bootloader into existing ESP alongside Windows one)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifie...erface#CSMBOOT
    I did like in the 4-5 different guides I found on how to install it for dualboot and left the bootloader selection pointing at the entire drive. Appearently that was not the way to do it.
    Edit: Yes. I think that's what I did. But that's how I've done it previously aswell.

I did not expect this kind of problem at al since I've been distrohopping quite a bit the last few years on my "testing shit" machines, and never had a distro corupt my bootloader before. Usualy they "just work".
    Last edited by Ashaz; September 10 2019 at 09:15:19 PM.

So since I had so much learning and fun from adding a new SSD I should obviously get a Navi GPU when (or soon after) kernel 5.3 hits Ubuntu y/n?
    I love Malcanis!

I unearthed a box of some quite good ones I'd forgotten about and I fancy having them on the PC. Recommend me an app to rip DVDs on linux plx. There's only a few dozen.

VLC for player?
    I love Malcanis!

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Handbrake?
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

I unearthed a box of some quite good ones I'd forgotten about and I fancy having them on the PC. Recommend me an app to rip DVDs on linux plx. There's only a few dozen.

VLC for player?
    I usually use DVD Decrypter, it helps with protected DVDs (there are some out there, quite a lot actually), then I do encoding with Handbrake from the ISO. Unfortunately I don't know any Linux alternatives.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.