hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 354243444546 LastLast

Thread: "It just works" Linux aka "Anything better than Ubuntu?"

I'd be slightly more inclined to accept AC if it weren't for the very large amount of anedotal evidence that the games in question are absolutely fucking seething with cheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Tarkov is also full of people who yell "cheaters" but are shown dying in the middle of the map without cover and being shootable from virtually any angle and any point on the map.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Well that's all online games tbh

Which begs the question: what's the point of AC suites anyway then?
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Valve have published a FAQ: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/faq

Will improvements to Proton for Steam Deck (like anti-cheat support) also apply to Proton on desktop?

Yes, these improvements will make it to all systems using Proton.
    This soothes my fears about requiring signed kernels, etc.

EDIT: Also Epic have just announced that EAC will now work with Proton.
    Last edited by Malcanis; September 24 2021 at 08:53:53 AM.

Nice.

And now BattlEye have announce that they're following suit.

The caveat: Developers have to actively enable the option.

They would also need to have a Linux client (Tarkov doesn't ).

The point is that it will work through Proton.

Ah I'm with you now. Let's hope they go through with it, then.

I mean that's kind of what the whole fuss is about: getting anticheat suites to work via Proton means that those games don't have to specifically have a Linux client to be able to be run on Linux. As there's essentially 0% chance of most AAA publishers releasing Linux clients these days, this potentially means that a lot of previously blocked games might become accessible. Instead of persusading publishers to fund a Linux client, "all" that's needed is to persuade them to upgrade their EAC SDK, enable the 'work via Proton' option and allow it. However each of those 3 steps is potentially problematic, and it does require the active co-operation of the game developers/publishers. But the effort threshold has been greatly reduced, so vast amounts of Hopium are being consumed on r/linuxgaming right now

We're literally 4 people on the Tarkov forums asking for this and zero dev input.

Ohwell.

Basically this is going to live or die on the success of the Steam Deck. If it's a bonkers huge crazy success and Valve sell 3 million of em, suddenly loads of devs will have always wanted to support Linux actually. If it just shifts like 150k machines, then the silence will continue. By all means be the 5th guy asking on the Tarkov forums, but realistically, the time to make a noise is when the Deck goes live.

I was the 4th lol.

But yes, I agree regarding the Steam Deck. Unfortunately I can't afford a Steam Deck now (focusing on saving for my upgrade), nor do I require one as I have plenty of mobile consoles that I don't get to use because usually I'm the one driving the car if/when going somewhere

Fortunately it's sold out already so there's that.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Basically this is going to live or die on the success of the Steam Deck. If it's a bonkers huge crazy success and Valve sell 3 million of em, suddenly loads of devs will have always wanted to support Linux actually.

Disagree - it will live or die based on if PC manufacturers start pimping PCs with SteamOS/another useful consumer-usable Linux distro.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Or whatever gets the install base up.

EDIT: Also the steam deck is a PC. Quad core Zen2, 16GB RAM, a proper NVME hard drive. What more do you need these days?
    Last edited by Malcanis; September 27 2021 at 07:18:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Or whatever gets the install base up.

EDIT: Also the steam deck is a PC. Quad core Zen2, 16GB RAM, a proper NVME hard drive. What more do you need these days?
    Assuming you mean "what more do you need from a PC for games", I'd argue a discrete GPU.

It can already attach to a real screen if you like, so yea it's basically already there aside from the dGPU. Would be awesome if a steamdeck in the future was capable of having an external GPU in a next gen dock!

There are still a lot of games that need proper CPU power and a Zen2 Quad Core can't cut it there. Apparently there are still issues that prevent certain games from running as best as they can on Ryzen chips (again Tarkov, I know, I know) - I am unsure if it's a Unity thing or just incompetent devs. RTS/TBS also benefits massively from a proper CPU. As a Nintendo Switch wannabe to play indies and some mainstream stuff, sure, the Deck is nice, but actual PC titles do benefit from a beefier CPU that is actually well cooled and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    There are still a lot of games that need proper CPU power and a Zen2 Quad Core can't cut it there.
    What? There's nothing weak about a mobile Zen2 quad core. It's not a threadripper, or an i9, sure but it his that entry level (gaming, not just a facebook machine) with aplomb as far as a CPU goes.

I was being just a tad ironic about 4c8t being as much as one could want - I have an 8c/16t CPU myself. But the fact is that the Deck is a fully functional, if low-specced, PC. It's going to be running a fully capable Arch Linux OS with pacman and access to the AUR. And you can even wipe that and install Windows on it. You can plug a keyboard and mouse into it. I'm not 100% sure that you cant plug an eGDPU into it, but 12 RDNA2 cores with DDR5 to feed them is going to be a considerable step above any other APU .

It's a PC, and a more powerful one than the average laptop or Dell shitbox that half of Steam's customers use at that.

So as far as game developers are concerned "PC manufacturers start pimping PCs with SteamOS" is exactly what is happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    There are still a lot of games that need proper CPU power and a Zen2 Quad Core can't cut it there.
    What? There's nothing weak about a mobile Zen2 quad core. It's not a threadripper, or an i9, sure but it his that entry level (gaming, not just a facebook machine) with aplomb as far as a CPU goes.
    In the context of playing random things in 720p I'm sure that CPU is enough, but simply the "mobile" part is laughable in saying "there's nothing weak" about it. It is a mobile CPU, designed for low TDP rather than the performance that a desktop CPU can output (obviously with proper cooling). It's not Intel Atom, but it isn't PC gaming levels of performance. It does the job, but that's about it, I'm unsure that when connected to an external display or around the 300th turn in Civ V it wouldn't just keel over a bit

Don't get me wrong, the Deck is pretty neato, but let's not overstate what it's capable of. I'm pretty sure that running Linux was part of optimizing its performance in games since Windows tends to hog system resources quite a bit.