hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223

Thread: "It just works" Linux aka "Anything better than Ubuntu?"

Yup, the latest mint does allow bars all over the place.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Finally did a reinstall with latest kubuntu. KDE still has bugs, had to upgrade to 5.11 so it would behave with my setup but now that it does, seems pretty solid. Now that they've abandoned that piece of shit Amarok for Canata I don't feel like it's missing anything. The only thing that feels old and stupid is KDE's instant messaging integration. Sorry but if I can't add slack in there, I don't want it.

Linux is ready for mainstream desktop now, right? Riiight?

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Has anyone messed about with obs or Lightworks on Ubuntu?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    People were saying that when I was in high school. In 2002.

If you keep moving the goalposts and expecting Linux to do more, then no, it will never be "ready". That said, it does everything I want it to do. Well...mostly.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Desktop is so 2002, it's all about Linux on the Laptop*.

* And yes the difference is absolutely relevant as I would never run it on the latter.

Actually, although I prefer Windows and Mac, considering I mostly use the shell and browser and the various Office apps, which I could fairly easily use LibreOffice or Google Docs, I could quite happily use Linux on the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Actually, although I prefer Windows and Mac, considering I mostly use the shell and browser and the various Office apps, which I could fairly easily use LibreOffice or Google Docs, I could quite happily use Linux on the desktop.
    Yeah you say that right up until you try and realise that you actually do more than browse and edit the occasional document... Every time I've tried I get stung within 2 weeks.. Now running it on the server end, fuck yeah, way better.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    People were saying that when I was in high school. In 2002.

I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Yeah you say that right up until you try and realise that you actually do more than browse and edit the occasional document...
    Other than gaming and Photoshop it's not an issue, and that's why one dual boots.

I dislike using the mac they force me to use at work, and I've been getting used to that thing for over a year now. Even Unity is better.

Docker runs so much faster on Linux. apt is still wonderful. I'm not the first person to want to throw his mac out a window because it's decided that iTunes wants to update because a tablet got plugged in (although that's not really fair since I'd never bother trying to plug a tablet into linux, but still, fuck iTunes with a rusty chainsaw). There is much to love about Linux on the desktop. If only it worked consistently for everything.

Wait you're being serious?

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    I have a bit of hatred for iTunes myself. I now have a PC at home and work and I'm quite happy with it. The Mac UI looks better and is more consistent, but god, as someone who has been supporting Macs for decades I am tired of Apple. When things don't work on the Mac, particularly when they're tied into Apple's simply awful icloud stuff, it can be an enormous pain to fix, on par with some of the more crappy Windows problems I've had over the years. That, coupled with Apple's increasing lack of interest in the Macs themselves, apart from Laptops, is irritating. I'm pretty sure there will be people who will buy Apple's iMac Pro, with a laptop class Xeon in it, but it suffers from the same problem all Apple's stuff does: the complete lack of any possibility to upgrade the thing. I don't game anymore and the number of times I use Photoshop in a year a so few that I can use someone else's machine at work for that. We were always a mainly Mac company apart from the CAD machines, but this year, we've started moving users over to Windows slowly. It just doesn't make sense to use Macs for us anymore.

The Mac UI looks better and is more consistent
    Ever since windows 7 I can't use any window manager that doesn't snap windows to half or full screen if I drag them to the side/top of the screen.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Ever since windows 7 I can't use any window manager that doesn't snap windows to half or full screen if I drag them to the side/top of the screen.
    So that's how that works. Yes, I'm slow.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

FYI, double-click on a top or bottom border edge to expand fully vertically. More useful if you want 3+ windows per screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

That is something I really appreciate about Windows (and various Linux wm's) these days. To be fair, the Mac Finder has Tabs, which probably 90% of Mac users don't actually know, and the Mac has some programs which do full screen and splitting these days, but typically, none of the often used things, like the Adobe Creative Cloud stuff or Microsoft's stuff, do this.

Win+L/R is the one, single thing I miss about windows. ShitIt comes close, but just isn't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Hm, thanks. I have some snap something installed that complains once in a while for me to license it. I shall try ShiftIt as a keyboard shortcut would be great.

It's still stupid that one would have to install something to achieve this.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    I have a bit of hatred for iTunes myself. I now have a PC at home and work and I'm quite happy with it. The Mac UI looks better and is more consistent, but god, as someone who has been supporting Macs for decades I am tired of Apple. When things don't work on the Mac, particularly when they're tied into Apple's simply awful icloud stuff, it can be an enormous pain to fix, on par with some of the more crappy Windows problems I've had over the years. That, coupled with Apple's increasing lack of interest in the Macs themselves, apart from Laptops, is irritating. I'm pretty sure there will be people who will buy Apple's iMac Pro, with a laptop class Xeon in it, but it suffers from the same problem all Apple's stuff does: the complete lack of any possibility to upgrade the thing. I don't game anymore and the number of times I use Photoshop in a year a so few that I can use someone else's machine at work for that. We were always a mainly Mac company apart from the CAD machines, but this year, we've started moving users over to Windows slowly. It just doesn't make sense to use Macs for us anymore.
    After a few years of Macing about, I agree with the above. They have solid machines and OS, but when shit breaks, it's broken in a really bad way. Otoh, shit breaks quite seldom, as opposed to Windows which seems to break almost daily for me (and it's a good correlation on how much I use a machine, the more I use it, the more shit seems to break). It's not important stuff, but random, lately I've had random restarts, ran stability tests, nothing, everything rock stable, random driver was hooking something else. Generally it can be traced really easily and fixed just as easily, it's just annoying. And yeah, it's Windows 10
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015