hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 142122232425 LastLast

Thread: "It just works" Linux aka "Anything better than Ubuntu?"

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    iTunes is literally the worst piece of software I have ever used and the main reason I refuse to buy into Apple's ecosysystem ever again

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    I haven't used iTunes in years, but I still dilligently update when the auto updater asks me to.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I haven't used iTunes in years, but I still dilligently update when the auto updater asks me to.
    That program is the only thing that will drop me out of a game to demand my attention. Not even Windows Update will do that.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    That program is the only thing that will drop me out of a game to demand my attention. Not even Windows Update will do that.
    You then cleaely hadn't installed WSL (aka "the Window's Linux") before 1703. That had a scheduled task which popped up the Linux bash and did a "sudo apt update" every <x> days ... regardless of what's been running in the foreground.

While the intention was good (keep also the WSL updated), the implementation clearly wasn't optimal. I get it that WSL was considered to be Beta at that time. But that was one hell of an obvious and easy to spot flaw.

While i see the irony of sorting that clip under RPGs... I think youtube may be drunk.
    You can realy see how it has tried to fit my dwarf fortress watching into the different categories. "To the left we have stuff that's ...eh ...similar? no? ok. how about we go this direction instead? You like ascii, right?"
    Also. i3 gaps is awesome.

Last edited by Ashaz; January 17 2018 at 10:31:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    The Mac UI looks better and is more consistent
    Ever since windows 7 I can't use any window manager that doesn't snap windows to half or full screen if I drag them to the side/top of the screen.
    KDE <3

My biggest problem that keeps me in W7 still is I'm a gamer. and a sound engineer. The good daws don't work under Linux. Ardour exists, but it simply can not compete. Reaper works through wine and you can even run VSTs now, but not if they require an iLok. And alot of the good ones do.
    So the main desktop machine is still W7, but all my 3 laptops run Linux now. With Mint being as good as it is, I find no reason not to. Getting insane batterytime out of my 10 year old X200S with XFCE.

Yep unfortunately Linux for sound is p. awful
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    IBM to acquire software company Red Hat for $34 billion

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, Red Hat does a lot of work with IBM servers. On the other, they would be losing their independence.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    IBM to acquire software company Red Hat for $34 billion

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, Red Hat does a lot of work with IBM servers. On the other, they would be losing their independence.
    IBM has been out of the hardware business for so long I don't really see an issue with this. It just means dead cat will get fixes faster for all the IBM stuffs..

Bound to be a net gain for Linux in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    IBM has been out of the hardware business for so long
    I dont think you have any idea what you're talking about.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    nah man, they don't run two of the 3 fastest conventional super computers on the planet or anything

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    nah man, they don't run two of the 3 fastest conventional super computers on the planet or anything
    This is also a poor indicator. IBM have a vast but stagnant hardware business. They ship something like $1.8Bn of "systems" per quarter, mostly made up of their mainframe install base. The problem is this is completely stagnant, increasing by 1% at last count. AWS's last round of results was a mind-boggling 46% growth, and that was behind expectations.

IBM are still there, but they're going nowhere and they've got no idea what they're doing.

RHEL is the de facto enterprise linux. Something like 95% of our customer install base uses RHEL and nothing but RHEL. A significant subset of those are looking to deploy large-to-huge OpenShift environments to reduce their public cloud spend, as Kubernetes quickly becomes the de facto standard for running pretty much everything. None of those customers, despite invariably being IBM buyers in some form, had any plans to increase spending on IBM kit or on IBM services. Now they all, inevitably, do. There's no realistic alternative to RH's product suite on the market.

There'll be no short term impact. IBM are nuts, but they're not nuts enough to try and borg one of the most successful software companies of all time. That might happen eventually, but it's just as likely it goes the other way. IBM's execs know they're floundering, while Red Hat (the company) is filled with smart, switched on thinkers who get shit done. What they're not so great at is selling and doing services. There's a faint possibility of a future where an IBM sales force can sell and support, with a straight face, modern linux, private/hybrid cloud, identity management, devops, middleware and even Java.

The problem for IBM is that RH is genuinely the category leader in most/all of those. To achieve that outcome (which would give them purpose), they'll need to be making some hard choices about their existing product and solution portfolio, because RH's stuff is just better and at the end of the day IBM are buying the people, they're buying RHEL and they're buying OpenShift.

Alternatively, in 18 months IBM will have done their usual thing and I'll be neck deep in migration work as all my customer base have decided not to move forward with Blue Hat Enterprise Linux For The Hybrid Cloud With Cognitive Blockchain Analytics Powered By Watson.

The question then is what's the alternative? SLES? Hah.

Alternatively, in 18 months IBM will have done their usual thing and I'll be neck deep in migration work as all my customer base have decided not to move forward with Blue Hat Enterprise Linux For The Hybrid Cloud With Cognitive Blockchain Analytics Powered By Watson.
    You just know this is going to happen.
    meh

IBM haven't made their own hardware for a decade or more now. It's still badged as IBM but under the hood it's all commodity off the shelf parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Those POWER9 CPUs in the top 1 & 3 supercomputers were designed by IBM ~2016. GlobalFoundries may have manufactured them, but IBM made them.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

IBM haven't made their own hardware for a decade or more now. It's still badged as IBM but under the hood it's all commodity off the shelf parts.
    No, this is just wrong.

To me this deal basically translates to "IBM's big push to the cloud" with RHEL and OpenStack as the foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    To me this deal basically translates to "IBM's big push to the cloud" with RHEL and OpenStack as the foundation.
    If they've got even half an ounce of sense it'll be based on OpenShift. OpenStack is dead as far as the rest of the world is concerned. Once you get your head around Kubernetes and give it the proper love it deserves it blows everything else out of the water. It'll displace VMWare in most large enterprises within 5 years.

The OpenStack part is my interpretation, which could very well be wrong, ofc.

I made it based on the fact that Red Hat is a board member of the OpenStack foundation and also a major code contributor to it, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    The OpenStack part is my interpretation, which could very well be wrong, ofc.

I made it based on the fact that Red Hat is a board member of the OpenStack foundation and also a major code contributor to it, if I'm not mistaken.
    OpenStack has a place, but even big enterprises would be dumb, in most cases, to try and build a purely IaaS on-premises private cloud. The bang for the buck, as it where, is in the service orchestration layer, so your engineers only have to focus on code that brings value to your business. All the databases (ALL of the databases, including raw filesystem), networking gubbins, messaging systems and caches need to be scriptable and incredibly easy to invoke and interact with, because that is actually the largest win from cloud. OpenStack (as Iaas) will service the very low level Hardware -> VM abstraction layer, and then OpenShift can handle PaaS duties and actually be what engineers write code against, and manage containers, services and the general workflow of building systems.

I ran OpenStack in production for several years. It's incredibly skill intensive, as in, you need kernel and for sure networking stack expertise that very very few actually have, in my experience. Even the "Household name" I was working for could not compete cost wise with AWS and GCP (probably azure too, but we never too it seriously for internet facing services at that point in time). and so we eventually went there and saved literally 8-10x by refactoring our architecture to actually integrate fully with either of those two clouds, as I did projects on both. This was before OpenShift or any of the other On Prem PaaS where really viable.
    meh