hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 243132333435 LastLast

Thread: "It just works" Linux aka "Anything better than Ubuntu?"

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    \${color green}CPU:\${color} \${freq_g} GHz \${hwmon 0 temp 1}C

from mine
    That is what I use on my other systems but got no reading on this one.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

you tried other hwmon digits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

you tried other hwmon digits?
    I have now, the first core turned out to be using hwmon 5 temp 2.

Numbers so obvious that I don't know why you didn't just try that from the start!
    I love Malcanis!

Numbers so obvious that I don't know why you didn't just try that from the start!
    I know, and for some bonus fun, just after I got it all working I installed a firmware update which changed the 5 to a 6 in the above syntax. Will be interesting to see if it still works next time it is booted up.

Sounds like a pretty clear cut case of anti-Mashie racism tbh
    I love Malcanis!

Sounds like a pretty clear cut case of anti-Mashie racism tbh
    This laptop is trolling me hard. It keeps on changing the hwmon's used for the individual cores. So I have given up on that monitoring, the generic CPU temp is working fine though.

Ran updater to upgrade from Ubuntu 19.04 to 19.10

It ran super smoothly, didn't report any errors and the whole thing took about 15-20 minutes.

Issues: No sound output! Also the settings icon disappeared! I googled "Ubuntu no sound", and it seems that it's not an unknown problem. However the recommended fixes (force-restart alsa, uninstall & reinstall pulseaudio then force-restart alsa) didn't work.

Since I'm a GUIboi at heart, I decided that the best thing to do would to be gimme back my settings menus.

One sudo apt install gnome-control-center later...

Looked at Sound Settings, and whaddya know? The upgrader decided that my sounds should go to the HDMI output (I have 2 screens via Displayport; they do not have speakers). Reset output to 'analog 2.1' and now all is well.

The system responsiveness feels snappier, especially the file manager. Kernel is updated to 5.3.0-24. Total time spent: about an hour.
    I love Malcanis!

Well done Malc. I only have this laptop on 19.10 which was a clean install.

I'm looking forward to the fun and games once I upgrade the other systems from 18.04 to 20.04 in the summer.

I think that I will take your advice when 20.04 arrives: switch to the HWE tree and stay on the LTS until I'm given some compelling reason to change.

I'm now happy with my ability to perform basic home PC administration (with help from google). Removing knowledge of dealing windows-specific fuckery from the equation, I'm not far short of where I was before the switch, and honestly, that's all I want: to be able to use my PC as my daily driver, have it actually belong to me (SAAS OS? You can fuck that right off!), and to be able to resolve ordinary issues that crop up.
    I love Malcanis!

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    So my brother visited yesturday and brought with him an old work laptop dad used but the company is now discarding, and asked me if I could help him getting access to it. So I did the 'ole PAM reset through an ubuntu live cd, and it turn out that windows also had been deactivated. So he didn't want that laptop anyway and gave it to me.

It's a HP EliteBook gen4 (i think). Installed ubuntu on it, it works very well with that. Thing is blazingly fast (despite only having 4 gigs of ram and no SSD), it boots ubuntu in under 20 seconds. Keyboard is one of the nicest keyboards I've experienced on a laptop. As high resolution as my old macbook (1600x900@60hz on a 13 inch screen), nice solid, chunky feel. And it runs a lot of old 3d games well. Think this is a keeper. Might chuck more ram and a SSD in it later. But I don't see any reason too. Putting an SSD into my old macbook 2010 did wonders for performance, but this thing is so nice as is.

Upgrade it when it needs it, I guess? A glance at the specs page seems to indicate that there's an NVME slot, so you can pop in a cheap 1TB whenever you want to.

4gb ram feels a bit low though, but apparently it supports up to 32Gb so plenty of room for improvement. I'm seeing matched pairs of 8gb SODIMM DDR4 for 55 on Amazon, and that'd probably be the best upgrade you could get.

Very nice present from your brother's employer, tbh.
    I love Malcanis!

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Upgrade it when it needs it, I guess? A glance at the specs page seems to indicate that there's an NVME slot, so you can pop in a cheap 1TB whenever you want to.

4gb ram feels a bit low though, but apparently it supports up to 32Gb so plenty of room for improvement. I'm seeing matched pairs of 8gb SODIMM DDR4 for 55 on Amazon, and that'd probably be the best upgrade you could get.

it was my fathers employer. And apparently they are just throwing them out in the rain in a heap so he decided to take his with him home rather than have it destroyed or thrown on a bin. I have now asked my dad to ask them if there are any more laptops just being thrown out to hand them over to him instead of just wasting them
    Last edited by helgur; February 12 2020 at 03:48:16 PM.

Pick one up for Malcy while you're there?

: puppy eyes:
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post

it was my fathers employer. And apparently they are just throwing them out in the rain in a heap so he decided to take his with him home rather than have it destroyed or thrown on a bin. I have now asked my dad to ask them if there are any more laptops just being thrown out to hand them over to him instead of just wasting them
    I'd be careful with that, not that your dad gets into trouble. At least in Germany your father could get potentially into trouble, if the HD hasn't been properly erased before he got hold of it. If the company didn't intend them to be hnded out to employees, but rather have a company recycle them, it might contractually up to them to erase/destroy the data.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

I'd be careful with that, not that your dad gets into trouble. At least in Germany your father could get potentially into trouble, if the HD hasn't been properly erased before he got hold of it. If the company didn't intend them to be hnded out to employees, but rather have a company recycle them, it might contractually up to them to erase/destroy the data.
    I'm aware of the conundrums. I've worked thare many years ago, noone gives a shit.

Yeah just stick an SSD in there and more RAM and it's a keeper. I love HP business series laptops, they're generally bullet proof and you don't have to go through all the blacklists like with Lenovos to upgrade stuff (like wifi boards and similar).

Also Linux flies on any machine lately so it's a really good choice for an older laptop. I keep postponing redo-ing my Alienware m11x R2 but will get there eventually.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Dad talked to the guy responsible for overseeing all the IT in all the branches across the country, and dad will poke me if they have more redundant hardware they are going to throw out. I haven't spoken to the dude in literally 15 years and it feels a bit awkward calling him myself.

They had over 100 laptops sitting outside and apparently suddenly someone just drove up and nabbed it

Dad talked to the guy responsible for overseeing all the IT in all the branches across the country, and dad will poke me if they have more redundant hardware they are going to throw out. I haven't spoken to the dude in literally 15 years and it feels a bit awkward calling him myself.

They had over 100 laptops sitting outside and apparently suddenly someone just drove up and nabbed it
    Depending on how well y'all finance your schools, donate them to local schools. At least that would be something to do around here. But I assume y'all do provide schools with proper hardware and support.
    nevar forget

Yeah I bet they fucking drove up and nabbed them.

Oh well, they'll all be on Ebay by Monday I guess.
    I love Malcanis!