hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 344142434445 LastLast

Thread: "It just works" Linux aka "Anything better than Ubuntu?"

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/0...0-ti-announced

NVIDIA are bringing DLSS to Proton, or so they say. That'll be nice if I ever get to buy a DLSS capable card.
    I thought I was keeping reasonably on top of things, but WTF is Proton?

e: Huh, interesting, this completely passed me by [ https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton ]
    Last edited by halka; June 2 2021 at 12:51:14 PM.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Proton is amazing. Incidentally, it's open source, so there are modded versions which use more recent versions of WINE and/or game-specific tweaks. See Glorious Eggroll's version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

It seems it comes with a caveat though ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ars Technica
    Nvidia and Valve are bringing DLSS to Linux gaming… sort of

Nice, but we'd prefer significantly greater investment in native driver quality.

Linux gamers, rejoice—we're getting Nvidia's Deep Learning Super Sampling on our favorite platform! But don't rejoice too hard; the new support only comes on a few games, and it's only on Windows versions of those games played via Proton.

At Computex 2021, Nvidia announced a collaboration with Valve to bring DLSS support to Windows games played on Linux systems. This is good news, since DLSS can radically improve frame rates without perceptibly altering graphics quality. Unfortunately, as of this month, fewer than 60 games support DLSS in the first place; of those, roughly half work reasonably well in Proton, with or without DLSS.
    Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...-proton-games/

Glorious Eggroll interview: https://boilingsteam.com/learning-mo...oriouseggroll/

This is the guy who makes the customised -GE versions of Proton with new WINE releases and game-specific tweaks.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    It seems it comes with a caveat though ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ars Technica
    Nvidia and Valve are bringing DLSS to Linux gaming… sort of

Nice, but we'd prefer significantly greater investment in native driver quality.

Linux gamers, rejoice—we're getting Nvidia's Deep Learning Super Sampling on our favorite platform! But don't rejoice too hard; the new support only comes on a few games, and it's only on Windows versions of those games played via Proton.

At Computex 2021, Nvidia announced a collaboration with Valve to bring DLSS support to Windows games played on Linux systems. This is good news, since DLSS can radically improve frame rates without perceptibly altering graphics quality. Unfortunately, as of this month, fewer than 60 games support DLSS in the first place; of those, roughly half work reasonably well in Proton, with or without DLSS.
    Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...-proton-games/
    v0v 30/60 games is better than 0/60 games

Sure, but you know that people often don't read past "Nvidia and Valve are bringing DLSS to Linux gaming" and then are all up in anger, because not every single game they own is supported.

You're getting mad about hypothetical people getting mad about something they don't understand?

You're getting mad about hypothetical people getting mad about something they don't understand?
    Rabble rabble rabble!

Where exactly did I get mad?

I just posted something informative to prevent people from being caught by surprise.

Roblox has been assimilated into the collective https://forums.penny-arcade.com/home...ks_on_linux%2F

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

well well well what do we have here?

Looks interesting, but I'm reluctant to spend more than ~$300 on an electronic device that I'm not confident I could repair myself if something goes wrong.

The device is pretty cute but the big news is the commitment to getting BattleEye & EAC working through Proton by the time it's launched.

Update: Exceedingly cute, it seems. Apparently Valve somehow accidentally briefly exposed order quantities on their website, and well over 150k order reservations have been made when that snapshot was taken. That 150k was heavily weighted to the top-end version - which is now apparently order backlogged until Q3 next year.

Although I rather suspect that Valve may increase their production plans after a response like that.
    Last edited by Malcanis; July 18 2021 at 06:48:03 PM.

Invest in whoever is producing the hardware then
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

The device is pretty cute but the big news is the commitment to getting BattleEye & EAC working through Proton by the time it's launched.
    This is excellent news for gaming on Linux. Probably because they insist on banning people playing through emulation/VMs regardless of whether or not they're cheating which is positively retarded.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

On which note, I was bored this morning and decided to let 19.10 update to 20.04 LTS, which it did with extreme smoothness. It took less than 30 mins, and the only 'issue' was that it uninstalled Steam for some reason. But that was a 30 second job to reinstall, and my login, prefs, etc where all still there so v0v whatever.
    And that was the last significant decision Malc had to make to date.

So stable. So hassle-free. So everything working.

https://boilingsteam.com/steam-deck-...-linux-gaming/

Really interesting interview with a guy from Codeweavers.

Interesting that there was no touching upon Battleye integration, which is quite essential for a lot of online pvp games.

Proton is quite amazing though, ngl

Do not BattlEye and EAC work in fundamentally similar ways? I would expect that once Valve can "solve" EAC, then other AC suites will follow relatively easily.

More relevant is the part that was skated over rather quickly and which confirms something that I have long suspected. He mentions that it would require some kind of "signed kernel". AC software these days seems to want full kernel access. You're basically handing over your PC to Electronic Arts or Epic or Ubisoft. None of whom, frankly, are organisations who I would trust not to abuse that access, as evidenced by the EULAs in their games these days. Apparently stopping people cheating means having access to their email contact list.

In short, I am glad that I don't have any desire to play the kind of games that seem to be associated with AntiCheat.

I have no idea if they work similarly but Linux users are right about giving access to their kernel to those companies - or even worse, the actually very dodgy anti-cheat companies out there.

The only game that uses anti-cheat that I still play is Tarkov and there's still a cheater infestation likely because they use Unity. But hey-ho.