hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cooking/Freezing in bulk AKA MG'S FUCKING GOOD EATS

I know chili as already been mentionned, but here is mine.

Before I start I need to mention that I have a HUGE pot to make my chili/spagetti sauce

Spoiler:

I don'T have how many liter goes in (not at home) but it's a big soup pot.

Ingredient (I'll leave the mesurement out, because they depend on how I feel/Who it's for):
    Meat: (pick and choose. These have been tested and I'm willing to back them up )
    - ground beef
    - Italian Sausage
    - Bacon (Because BACON!!!!)
    - Sliced pork chop (I take some pork chopped and make some smaller cube out of them)
    - Full racks of ribs (again because why not...)
    - I've tried some the upper part of a chicken leg... but it wasn't really a good mix, might need to re-adjust and retry.

- Bell pepper (the more colorfull the better)
    - Onion / green onion
    - Other pepper if you like them
    - Carrot
    - Celery
    - Chili spice ( I used this one :S http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chili-seasoning-mix-ii/

Canned stuff:
    - Canned Bean (I don't like to much of it and I like them soft/not crunchy)
    - 2 can of tomato paste
    - You can use tomato sauce/crushed tomato/whole tomato in can to fill the liquid to a bit under the layer of meat/veggy.

Cut veggies, you can brown them first but I'm way too lazy.... I just dump the first 2 part in the pot. Let cook for a while, then add the canned stuff.
    Let simer for like 4 hours on a low heat.
    I prefer my chily really chunky/meaty (who use spoon to eat chily!) so I often add rice to get rid of the liquid at the end.

Serve with tons of cheese on top and maybe a spoonfull of sour cream if it's to hot for your taste (mine is really low as you can see by the lack of spicy stuff/spices).

I love to cook the bean till they are soft, so even if you freeze the chilly it stays the same texture.

You can serve as a meal or as my texan friends do it, as a side to any meat.

Edit: If you need more fake-frenchy cold weather cuisine, I could continue all night, so ask away.

OP updated, will turn into PDF at some point when I can be bothered. Can anyone knock up the FHC Banner to be FAILHEAP COOKING instead?

If anyone knows what font is used I can probably do it over the weekend.

Paging don...

Stahpatalk

Super lazy pesto recipe

Chicken filet 500g
    Pesto 200g
    Creme fraiche 200g
    Pasta 300g

Slice chicken in cubes and cook it with some butter/oil/what have you in a large-ish frying pan until brown but before it becomes crispy. Add pesto and creme fraiche to the pan and stir. Turn the heat low and let it simmer a bit (add salt/pepper to taste). Meanwhile prepare the pasta (really any kind will do). Add pesto and chicken to pasta --> voila, pesto pasta with chicken. Add seasoning to taste (recommend parmessan cheese or coarse sea salt). Serve with with oven baked tomatoes or salad.

Takes less than 30 minutes to cook from start to finish. 5 - 6 servings depending on hunger. Can be kept a day or 2 in the fridge and can be reheated with a microwave. You can use self-made pesto if you like or just supermarket if that is too much effort.

Probably among the least healthy meals in the thread but it is quick and easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I'm doing my best. Well. Not really.

Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    FUCK THE FREEZING, GO WITH FRESH FRESH FRESH!!!!

AKA MENDO'S FUCKING AWESOME GRILLED VEG + PESTO PASTA BAKE (inspired by Mark n Spencers food of a similar name)

You need:

3 FUCKING PEPPERS. Green peppers are shit, don't eat shit green peppers. Some Red, Orange, Yellow are win. If you can find Blue peppers, they're awesome.
    2 RED FUCKING ONIONS (if you're SUPER FUCKING DARING, mix things up by changing one for a normal shit onion, you rebel!)
    2 Courgettes (they're fucking courgettes, there's no such fucking thing as a zucchini you fucking yank faggots)
    2 Mozzarella Balls
    Shit loads of Garlic (or Garlic infused olive oil for "lol easy")
    Olive Oil (see above)
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    200g jar green pesto (don't bother fucking making it, this isn't haute cuisine, you suck, I suck, it's gonna taste good either way)
    100g Pasta (this isn't supposed to be some ALL OF THE FUCKING PASTA dish, seriously, like 2 handfuls of Penne pasta is enough, just for "carbs")
    Punnet cherry tomatoes (don't be a faggot and use normal size ones, cherry tomatoes aren't girly)

A griddle ala

or

Some sort shallow casserole dish

How to:

Put your griddle on the hob and turn the hob on full. You're aiming for a temperature slightly higher than the surface of the sun. Open the windows and disable the smoke detector - SHIT GUN GIT SMOKEH!

Chop all the veg (not the cherry tomatoes) into chunky bits. Chuck them all in a bowl with ~2 table spoons of whatever oil you decided on (add the garlic if you're being a faggot). Mix the veg so that they're all nicely coated.

Wait until griddle is borderline melting. Now batch cook (don't fucking chuck it all on at once you faggot, cos you'll reduce the temperature too low) the veg. You want nice big fuckin' scorch marks all over that shit. Be a proper arty faggot with that shit.

Par boil the pasta whilst this is happening, it should be undercooked. Chuck the veg into the casserole dish with the tinned tomatoes and pasta, mix that shit up. Now add the cherry tomatoes on top (ON. FUCKING. TOP. don't you dare mix that shit in!). Tear the mozzarella balls up and place on top. Don't tear it up too small you OCD faggot, you want that shit to go golden and awesome, not melt into the middle. Open jar of pesto and drizzle that shit all over the top.

Chuck it in the oven. You may find that it gets pretty fucking watery, which means you didn't cook the veg enough. If it does, try divide it into another dish and spread that shit out.. leave a gap that's not covered so that the steam can escape.

This is awesome on it's own, but if you're a meat loving faggot like me, it's even more awesome with some Lincolnshire sausages (could make a variant of this with chicken/sausages actually in the dish, that'd be pretty fucking pro).

Pictures? Pictures!

forgot to add nutritional info.. serves 4 (could make it serve 6 if you add sausages I reckon) decent sized portions. 500 calories per portion.
    Last edited by Mendolorian Girl; October 23 2014 at 02:01:57 PM.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

Does pesto always have nuts in it?

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Pine nuts basil olive oil

That's your Base
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Pine nuts basil olive oil

That's your Base
    and parmesan you heathen

//edit - as I so often find with pasta bake type dishes (Lasagne, Chilli, Spagbol etc) this actually tastes loads nicer the following day.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

Just stick the whole thing in freezer and stop being a faggot

Moto G representing

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Can i freeze my basil plant? it looks like its dying as the cold days draw in and theres just too much of it to use all up. Was thinking, snip it,put in a Tupperware stylee box and bang it in the freezer. Legit option?
    make pesto with it, that's the whole point of pesto, it's a preserve
    Last edited by Mendolorian Girl; October 24 2014 at 01:31:08 PM.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

Other option is to rip up basil leaves and then freeze in ice cubes. Use cubes straight from freezer.

I am way overdue my post, but here's what's coming - 28 Romanian Foods the Whole World Should Know
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Hosted a dinner party on Sunday.

Cooked the following (improvised):

Starter:
    Lime-marinaded scallops on cucumber slices (made superthin using a grater), served with a tiny slither of red chilli pepper.

Main
    Whole side of salmon on a bed of asparagus tips, cooked in a little white wine, lemon juice and olive oil with sliced shallots, garlic, mint, and samphire, with sides of tenderstem broccoli, buttered new potatos (steamed with mint), and homemade posh mac'n'cheese

Pudding
    Supersticky Toffee pudding (its basically treacle with treacle sauce but better) with Cornish icecream.

One of the best meals I've cooked.

I'm a massive fan of mexican food, experimented with so many kinds of chillis and tacos. Rather peeved but also quite happy to have discovered an epic lifehack:

You will require 1 of each of the two new marinades tesco have started selling (tinga paste and Chipotle & Paprika paste), 2-3 Kg of pork belly strips and some Coke.

Cover meat with sauce, stuff them into a baking tray (you dont want to many gaps or it will dry out during cooking) and braise that shit till its done, glazing with the juices and adding cola if it looks to be drying out (i may have added whisky at some point v0v).

Remove the meat and add a full can of coke to the cooking juices and reduce it down till you get a good consistency then cut the porc into chunks and throw it back in the sauce and stir till its all nicely covered.

Total prep time <5min, cooking ~2-3hrs. Portions 10+

Serve in small tacos with a smoky roast chilli salsa or on rice with fresh tomato salsa

BEST. FUCKING. TACOS. EVER!!!

I served this at my birthday alongside my signature chilli and steak tacos as a few more people than expected were gonna turn up so i panic bought those sauces and porc from tesco. The other dishes barely got a look in and my bourbon skirt steak tacos are killer!

Only finer point i would say is watch the cooking temps as you need the fat to render without letting the meat dry out, i had 4 full trays in the oven so just left it on max and all came out perfectly but you may want to at least partially cover it to stop all the cooking juices evaporating...

Quote Originally Posted by SycIh View Post
    And for some added content:

Bourignon beef (or whatever it's called in english):

Spoiler:
    Mesurement are optional (like in all my dish), but I'll try to give a go at it.
    1.5pound to 2pound of cubed beef
    Sliced Mushroom (a ton they shrink in the juice)
    Big chunks of Carrot (usually 4 to 6)
    Big chunk of Celery (I love celery so about tenish)
    2 or 3 sliced medium to big onions
    Beef stock (try to have it not to watery if you're making it in the slowcooker)
    Parsley
    1 or 2 bay leaves
    3 to 5 small portion of smashed garlic
    salt/pepper
    a bit of oil so nothing stick
    Instant Rice (or noodle or flour)
    2 or 3 slice of maple bacon (secret ingredient don't tell anyone) and/or 3 or 4 italian sausage unwrapped.

-Cook the bacon in a pan. Cut into about 1 square inche (3 to 4 cm) strip
    -Split the fat into smaller portion to roast the cubed beef in.
    -Roast the beef quickly on all side.
    -During that time cut everything. Dump everything except the instant rice, in the slowcooker.
    -Cook at low for about 10 hours.
    -Add the instant rice/noodle/flour continue cooking for about an hour.

Can be prepared a night early, left in the fridge(make sure to split vegetable and meat), start it the morning before heading to work if you trust your slowcooker.
    Sorry but if you put liquid stock in a bourginon you failed at life. Also mushrooms should be fried seperatly and added towards the end.

Okay, further inspection reveals there isn't even ANY wine in your recipe and you put rice inside the ride O.o

Proper Boef Bourginon is painfully simple and one of the greatest dishes in the world!

Fry Bacon -> fry Onions -> Flour+salt+pepper on 2" cubes of beef then brown them nicely (make sure they are well floured this gives the sauce its consistency and if you try to add it later you'll just get lumps) -> put all in large heavy bottom pan/slow cooker/oven pan -> add garlic, bay, tyme and 1cm slices of carrot (if your beef is low quality add a stock cube to) -> now the key COVER THE WHOLE FUCKING LOT IN AS GOOD A RED WINE AS YOU CAN AFFORD (1 Bottle/Kg probably, it has to come up over the top of the meat!) -> Cover and cook low and slow till the consistency and texture are just right (if your doing it on a hob you'll want to stir every 30min or so) normally at least 6 hours for a decent sized one -> fry and add baby mushrooms 3/4 way through cooking -> serve with new or mashed potatoes and parsley. Consume with the same wine you cooked it in and massive lashings of mustard.

The quality of the outcome is directly proportional to that of the wine and meat you put in, very little else matters its basically impossible to fuck up unless you cook it way to fast and burn the shit out of everything. Probably not worth doing if your on a tight budget there are many great thrifty stews out there this is just not one of them!

Damn now i want this! Will have to cook it at the weekend
    Last edited by Ted Breakers; December 16 2014 at 11:32:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Breakers View Post
    Sorry but if you put liquid stock in a bourginon you failed at life. Also mushrooms should be fried seperatly and added towards the end.

Okay, further inspection reveals there isn't even ANY wine in your recipe and you put rice inside the ride O.o
    +1 for mexican food

I might have forgot the intro to the dish, but for some wierd reason (even though I'd love to be a wine conaisseur), I just can't stand anything with grapes, being from simple fruit, juice, wine, porto, untill you get to cognac/brandy. So yeah hence why I don't have wine in there and replaced with beef stock

Quote Originally Posted by SycIh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Breakers View Post

+1 for mexican food

I might have forgot the intro to the dish, but for some wierd reason (even though I'd love to be a wine conaisseur), I just can't stand anything with grapes, being from simple fruit, juice, wine, porto, untill you get to cognac/brandy. So yeah hence why I don't have wine in there and replaced with beef stock
    Fair enough but it aint a bourginon then innit ^^ Try replacing with some guiness or something look up steak n ale pie recipies will give you a much heartier broth than just stock

Can anybody recommend a slow cooker? I've been having a look around but tbh I don't really know what I'm looking at/for.

Can anybody recommend a slow cooker? I've been having a look around but tbh I don't really know what I'm looking at/for.
    Like a crock pot? The big question is what size pot you need, ours is a 3 quart and is plenty big for making enough stew for 4-6 people.

I think ours is a Hamilton beach. None of the fancy gizmos & timers; just turn the dial & forget about it.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    I invented a fucking awesome pimped rattetouille recipe which is (obviously) vegetarian/vegan, healthy as fuck, delicious and rich as fuck, visually impressive as fuck and can easily be cooked and frozen in bulk. It doesnt take much/any skill except chopping.

PREP TIME: 30 mins to 1 hour actual prep, 2 hours oven time therafter (can be a different day)

INGREDIENTS:
    A metric shit tonne of assorted vegtables to taste, at a minimum including (for a large over pyrex dish containing 6-8 large portions):
    1-1.5 onions
    4-6 cloves of garlic. Preminced, pickled garlic works well in this too.
    2-4 peppers
    4-6 large tomatoes
    2-4 courgettes
    1-2 Aubergines
    1-2 Yellow Squash
    Tomato Puree (1-2tbsp)
    Balsamic Vinager (or red wine vinegar)
    Thyme (dried is ok but best on-the-stalk)
    Salt & Pepper
    A shit of a lot of olive oil.

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:
    Other veg (anything works, I like tender stem brocolli, asparagas, woteva. Can also do without easily and is more traditional)
    Red wine (not essential)
    Saffron (not essential and not to everyone's taste).
    Fresh Basil leaves (not essential, just for final appearance sake).
    Cherry tomatoes (1 pkt) (optional, only if you have a particularly tall or wide pyrex dish)
    Goats cheese rounds (obviously not vegan, can add a nice kick)
    I also like to add a small kick of chili pepper to the "jam", not enough for it to be "hot", just enough to tickle the tastebuds. Not mentioned below but add when you season the base layer.

METHO

First stick the oven on at 220

Now dice the onion. Fry over a low-medium heat in lots of olive oil. Mince 1/3 of the garlic (or use preminced) and add to onion after 5 minutes. You want the onion to be very soft but not brown.

While its frying, cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and stalks, stick them on an oiled baking tray in the oven. Also put your "other veg to taste" (if any) in the over drizzled in oil and salt.

Dice the normal tomatos about the same size as the onion and keep the juices.

Add tomato plus juices to the onion before it browns and keep simmering while the juices reduce.

Take the peppers out of the oven once their skin starts to crack. Take them off their baking tray and leave to cool for a bit till you can touch them. Once touchable remove the skin (should be easy), bin it, and dice the pepper. Add to the tomato/onion/garlic mix along with any oil and juices.

Add a shit tonne of Thyme to the mix. The best way to do this is to take 4 sprigs, strip one into the mix and leave the other 3 on the stalk to soak.

Add 1-2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and a slosh or two of red wine and reduce on a medium-low heat for a bit till the consistency isnt watery at all. You can add a small pinch of saffron at this point and season to taste (IMO, fair bit of salt and pepper).

Meanwhile, slice up the corgettes and aubergine and squash into 2mm thick round cross-sections, and put fill a mug 1/5 full with olive oil, adding another 1/3 of the minced garlic (leave about 1-2 cloves out, cant really get enough garlic so add more if you like), some salt and pepper and the tomato puree.

When the reduction is looking nice and jammy, remove the three intact thyme sprigs and dispose of them. Pour the mix into the base of your pyrex dish and layer loosly on top your "other vegetables to taste" which you can now take from the oven where they should have roasted a little. Turn the oven down to 180.

Now layer up rounds of courgette, aubergine, and squash around the outside. You are aiming for overlapping each "round" around the outside of the dish and then doing another concentric circle in the middle, alternating the vegetables. See pic in spoiler:

Spoiler:

Now use a brush or, carefully, a spoon, to smear generously over the top with your mug mix.

[BONUS STEP: If your container is TALL you can now make a flat layer of halved cherry tomatoes and then another layer of the three veg rounds on top. Not essential and doesnt work in a low dish.

BONUS STEP: If your container is WIDE and LOW, you can instead have a ring of cherry tomato halfs inbetween rings of the alternating vegetables in the same layer. Whatever you think looks good]

Slice your remaining garlic (minced is ok too but better thin slices) and make a nice pattern on the top. Sprinkle a bit more salt and pepper and thyme.

Cover with tinfoil. This is a possible stage to freeze or put in fridge for a couple of days actually, if you dont want to eat any yet.

COOK:

When ready to cook, stick in the oven for 1.5hrs with tinfoil on and then remove tinfoil and return to oven for 30 more minutes. OPTIONAL BONUS STEP - add goats cheese rounds on top for this final cooking period.

Once it comes out, Drain as much liquid as possible (CAREFULLY by tipping or ideally using a pippette or spoon) into a small saucepan. Dont skip this step or half-ass it unless there is very little or its very syruppy.

Reduce the liquid in the small saucepan over a high heat until it is a delicious, rich sauce. Either serve as gravy or pour over the main dish before freezing/serving. If you want portion-sized freezables you'll have to abandon the lovely layering and spoon into ziplock bags to freeze - some layering should be maintained so it wasnt a total waste.

If frozen, reheat covered for 20-30 mins in a hot oven (or microwive) but then give a few minutes under the grill to brown. Finally add the fresh basil on top before serving.

This looks incredible, tastes incredible, is actually pretty easy not to fuck up (only hard bit is removing the liquid at the end) and freezes well. You can also eat the proceeds on its own, with rice or even in a sub (try spreading soft goatscheese on the other half if you skipped that step).
    Last edited by Lallante; February 12 2015 at 04:07:23 PM.