hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cooking/Freezing in bulk AKA MG'S FUCKING GOOD EATS

Note: I don't have a microwave, nor will I get one. But there is one at work for reheating.

Stahpatalk

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mendolorian Girl again.

E: awwwwww yiss.

Last edited by NoirAvlaa; August 28 2014 at 09:09:16 PM.

Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mendolorian Girl again.

E: awwwwww yiss.

seriously.. you cooked my recipe?

bit blindsided by how that makes me feel.... the feels!
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

I dunno what else you expected... It's sitting in the fridge atm ready to be chopped up and put in the freezer.

I dunno what else you expected... It's sitting in the fridge atm ready to be chopped up and put in the freezer.
    but have you tasted it :s
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    Of course. Was good times! I also made the cheese sauce myself because fuck yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    Of course. Was good times! I also made the cheese sauce myself because fuck yeah.
    big up
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

Donor
    Note: I don't have a microwave, nor will I get one. But there is one at work for reheating.

Stahpatalk
    You can use your stove/oven for reheating things. It takes longer but it is usually betterer. I haven't used my microwave for two years. You can have it if you want to come to michigan.

OP updated to reflect fucking good food. Give me more please.

Easy beef chili - ingredients:

Minced beef (extra lean for the low calorie version, full fat if you need to put some meat on your bones) - ~450g/1 lb
    One onion
    Kidney beans (ideally in chili sauce, but in water works OK too) - 1 can
    Chopped tomatoes - 1 can
    Quark or sour cream - 250 g
    Cheese - some, as a topping/garnish
    Chili flakes, cayenne pepper, paprika, and optionally a little cocoa powder

Finely chop the onion and cook it in a big frying pan with a little oil on a moderate heat for a few minutes until it turns white, then add the minced beef and brown it. Once the beef is browned, add the tomatoes, kidney beans, spices and cocoa to taste, and around 2/3rds of the quark/sour cream. Mix it all up then turn the heat down low and leave it to reduce for somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes or until it's reached a consistency that you like. Serve with grated cheese and some of the remaining quark/sour cream. If you need calories, have some rice along with it; if not, don't. If you want to store it for later, let it cool, dump it into tupperware, and place in the fridge - it will remain good for a couple of days at least. Have never frozen it but can't see why it wouldn't be OK.

The low calorie version gives around 1449 kcal and 169 g protein if you eat the whole thing (your stomach will explode if you do this); I normally divide it into two or three portions.

Thread is relevant to my interests

I've been doing this whole "cooking huge amounts of food and freezing it" stuff for about two years now.

There is one thing that has helped me greatly with managing my time and eating healthy: A Slowcooker/Crock Pot
    In Germany this is basically unheard of, I don't know how things are in the UK?

What it does is heating the food on farily low temperatures so you just have to set it and forget it. Usual cooking time anywhere between 4-12 hours.
    As you don't have to be present while your food is cooking you can easily set a timer so the meal is done once you're home.

Some of my favorite slow cooker dishes:
    - Bolognese sauce (A good Bolognese takes about 6 hours. One crock pot serves 8.
    - Chili con carne (got a recipe using dark beer, chocolate and coffee)
    - Chicken in leek sauce
    - Pulled pork
    - Tomato soup
    - Lentil soup (any kind of soup/stew really)
    - Salsa chicken

If you are not into this whole slow cooking stuff other favorite dishes for bulk cooking include:
    - Letscho (Hungarian vegetable stew)
    - Spinach Cannelloni
    - Baked Ziti
    - Onion Cake (this one is unbelievably easy)
    - Stewed Cucumber

Let me know what you're most interested in and I'll translate a recipe

Feel free to post all, prioritising chicken, pulled pork and onion cake in that order :P

Let's make a motherfucking FHC lazy nerd's freezable cookbook.

Muthafuckin fish pie

Stahpatalk

~~Chicken in Leek sauce~~

Gives 6 small dishes. More like 3 if hungry.

Ingredients:

600g Chicken breast filet
    6 Slices of breakfast bacon
    1 Tbsp. Oil
    2 Scallions
    1 Clove of garlic
    1 Big leek
    2 Branches of thyme
    100ml White whine
    200ml Vegetable or Chicken-Broth
    50ml Creme Frache
    1 Tbsp. Flour
    Salt, Pepper

How do I maek food?

- Wrap each chicken breast in one slice of bacon.
    - Roast gently with little oil in a pan.
    - Place the chicken in the crock pot.
    - Stew vegetables in the pan.
    - Add wine and broth.
    - Spice with thyme, salt and pepper.
    - Set the slow cooker to "low" and come back in seven hours.
    - Take the chicken out of the sauce.
    - Whisk creme frache and flour with the Sauce.
    - Ad chicken and heat again for 15 Minutes.
    - Done.

I like it best with croquettes. But it also goes with potatoes or rice.

Hope this makes sense, never actually translated a recipe

~~A chili~~

1-1/2 tbsp bacon fat, butter, margarine or w/e
    2 large onions, coarsely chopped
    4 carrots, grated

2kg ground beef, extra lean
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    7 tbsp chili powder
    1/2 tbsp cumin
    1/2 tps oregano

340ml(2 cups) tomato sauce
    1 cup beer (or water)
    2 tbsp worchestershire sauce
    1 tbsp salt
    1/2 cup corn flour
    parsley (unspecified small amount)

Melt fat/butter/whatever in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots, cook until onions are transparent and carrots are soft. Combine beef with garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Add to pot and cook until brown, breaking up any lumps with a fork.

Transfer to slow cooker and add tomato sauce, beer, salt and parsley. Cook on low for at least 6 hours, then stir in corn flour and cook for 1 more hour.

At this point it's done and ready to eat, but this recipe actually tastes better reheated than when initially prepared. So if you're not in a hurry, transfer it to a suitable container and throw it in the fridge or freezer, then reheat later with your method of choice. Either way; serve with garlic bread (for dipping) and grated cheddar cheese (for garnish).

Also works as taco filling. Makes, well, 2kg of chili. It's enough that my father typically made it in half batches for our family of four, so I guess a full batch is somewhere between 8-12 servings depending on how much you like beef.
    Last edited by Steph; August 31 2014 at 10:06:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Feel free to post all, prioritising chicken, pulled pork and onion cake in that order :P

Let's make a motherfucking FHC lazy nerd's freezable cookbook.
    This is the best damn idea.

Post that onion cake and letscho post haste. I can't afford meat but I can stretch to onions.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

PREVIOUSLY ON MENDO'S GOOD EATS

Last week on Mendo's good eats featured FUCKING AWESOME Lasagne and GOD DAMN AMAZING Fish pie.

THIS WEEK ON MENDO'S GOOD EATS

FUCKING SCORCHIO FAJITAS "SALAD" (srsly, salad), featuring hipster GLUTIN FREEness

Ingredients

Filleted Chicken Thighs (fillet them yourself if you can't find them, DON'T BUY CHICKEN BREAST IT'S SHIT AND EXPENSIVE)
    Red Onions
    Red and Yellow/Orange Peppers
    Optional small can of chopped tomatoes
    Little Gem Lettuces (they're tiny, real crispy and when you peel the leaves off, they're like little spoons.. this is relevant)
    Tzatziki Dip (if you don't know what this is, seriously you're a fucking disgrace)

Fajita mix (if you don't have these spices then don't buy from supermarket - see earlier comment about shit and expensive - go to a indian supermarket and buy a BIG FUCKING BAG OF EACH for the same price as supermarket crap):

10 tablespoon cornstarch
    20 teaspoons chilli powder (adjust to taste)
    10 teaspoon salt
    10 teaspoon paprika
    10 teaspoon white sugar
    5 teaspoon onion powder
    5 teaspoon garlic powder
    2.5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    5 teaspoon ground cumin

Buy yourself a large pot, I use a Kilner jar cos I'm rich, if you're a poorfag then get a similar shaped tupperware container. Get a permanent marker and write the recipe on the side. This reminds you want to add each time you get low, and you can rub out the quantities and adjust to taste. (pro fucking cooking hacks right here).

Chop the chicken thighs, rub in fajita spices. Often easier to mix spices with olive oil first. If you want to be pro-as fuck, do this 24 hours in advance and leave in the fridge to become FUCKING AWESOMEBALLS.

Slice onions and peppers. Heat a work until it's about to melt. Get some kitchen paper. Tear off some pieces and stuff them up your nose. Get a long piece and wrap it around your face like you're japanese in a big city. Throw the meat, onions and peppers in the pan and cook the shit out of them. Important: let it all scorch to fuck, the chicken in particular should have burnt bits on it. If you didn't do the kitchen paper step and you're not choking to fuck and sneezing your face off, then you didn't put hot enough Chilli powder in.

If you want a wetter sauce, add the tomatoes now and reduce down a bit (not too much, it'll reduce further as it cools).

Serve in a big bowl. Tear the leaves off the lettuces and serve in a separate bowl.

To eat, spoon a large spoonful of chicken(etc.) into a piece of lettuce (use the lettuce like a spoon) and top with a dollop of Tzatziki. Smush that shit into your mouth and taste the FUCKING AWESOMENESS. Now apply large gulp of beer to (supposedly) quench your burning gullet.

Unfortunately not really freezable (you can freeze the marinaded chicken pieces), but fuck it, this thread is now just MENDO'S FUCKING GOOD EATS.

You can also use this recipe for actual fajitas by adding sandwich wraps (get the big fucking ones, you're not a girl ffs), slicing the lettuce up a bit and grated cheddar. Optionally swap the Tzatziki for Sour Cream (but you're a faggot if you do).

----

aside: I'm really really tempted to start writing a cookery book for men. It would feature easy cooking that's awesome, and a lot of fucking swearing. Would be e-book, until I'm famous ofc. Thanks for the title whoever changed that, will send you a free book

Time until Mendo's Fucking Good Eats is published: 3, 2, 1....
    Last edited by Mendolorian Girl; September 1 2014 at 01:03:11 PM.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

I'd like to poast some traditional romanian recipes (which I actually miss a lot and can't cook them all without some exotic ingredients), but they're not always freezable in bulk. They're quite healthy though and extremely tasty (fuck english sausages tbqfh ).

Would you like to know more?
    [ ] Yes
    [ ] No.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I'd like to poast some traditional romanian recipes (which I actually miss a lot and can't cook them all without some exotic ingredients), but they're not always freezable in bulk. They're quite healthy though and extremely tasty (fuck english sausages tbqfh ).

Would you like to know more?
    [X] Yes
    [ ] No.

And for some added content:

Bourignon beef (or whatever it's called in english):

Mesurement are optional (like in all my dish), but I'll try to give a go at it.
    1.5pound to 2pound of cubed beef
    Sliced Mushroom (a ton they shrink in the juice)
    Big chunks of Carrot (usually 4 to 6)
    Big chunk of Celery (I love celery so about tenish)
    2 or 3 sliced medium to big onions
    Beef stock (try to have it not to watery if you're making it in the slowcooker)
    Parsley
    1 or 2 bay leaves
    3 to 5 small portion of smashed garlic
    salt/pepper
    a bit of oil so nothing stick
    Instant Rice (or noodle or flour)
    2 or 3 slice of maple bacon (secret ingredient don't tell anyone) and/or 3 or 4 italian sausage unwrapped.

-Cook the bacon in a pan. Cut into about 1 square inche (3 to 4 cm) strip
    -Split the fat into smaller portion to roast the cubed beef in.
    -Roast the beef quickly on all side.
    -During that time cut everything. Dump everything except the instant rice, in the slowcooker.
    -Cook at low for about 10 hours.
    -Add the instant rice/noodle/flour continue cooking for about an hour.

Can be prepared a night early, left in the fridge(make sure to split vegetable and meat), start it the morning before heading to work if you trust your slowcooker.