hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 539 of 550 FirstFirst ... 39439489529536537538539540541542549 ... LastLast
Results 10,761 to 10,780 of 10982

Thread: St Louis - Muskets Thread (USA civil unrest)

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    To further muddy the waters, some also consider your class to be what you were born into rather than what you achieve.

It's very easy to have someone who is middle-class and poor using that definition, or working class and wealthy (sup).
    No one uses this definition in the US. There is no baggage about where and to whom you were born. This is a very U.K. thing, from my experience.
    The US is too young to have old money.
    u wot m8
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    To further muddy the waters, some also consider your class to be what you were born into rather than what you achieve.

It's very easy to have someone who is middle-class and poor using that definition, or working class and wealthy (sup).
    No one uses this definition in the US. There is no baggage about where and to whom you were born. This is a very U.K. thing, from my experience.
    The US is too young to have old money.
    u wot m8
    Robber barons were considered uppity wannabes by the real old money.

Tapapapatalk

Edit: check this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_money
    Last edited by Joe Appleby; November 10 2017 at 08:10:47 PM.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

I see you've never studied at an Ivy...
    No, I understand that well. That said, your birth doesnít lock you in here. If you think it does, you really need to go see how bad it is elsewhere.

Iíve met plenty poor people here who got into a good school because they applied themselves.
    Survivorship bias.

Check your sampling methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

No, I understand that well. That said, your birth doesnít lock you in here. If you think it does, you really need to go see how bad it is elsewhere.

Iíve met plenty poor people here who got into a good school because they applied themselves.
    Survivorship bias.

Stanford is free for families earning under $125000 per year. Most Ivy League colleges have similar programs. How do you think they can improve this?

No, I understand that well. That said, your birth doesn’t lock you in here. If you think it does, you really need to go see how bad it is elsewhere.

I’ve met plenty poor people here who got into a good school because they applied themselves.
    Survivorship bias.

Stanford is free for families earning under $125000 per year. Most Ivy League colleges have similar programs. How do you think they can improve this?
    Does that deal include a dorm room?
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Survivorship bias.

Does that deal include a dorm room?
    Full tutition, room and board for less than $65k, tuition is free with some expected parental contribution below $125k. Below $225k there is still some money available to help.

https://financialaid.stanford.edu/undergrad/how/parent.html

No, I understand that well. That said, your birth doesn’t lock you in here. If you think it does, you really need to go see how bad it is elsewhere.

I’ve met plenty poor people here who got into a good school because they applied themselves.
    Survivorship bias.

By improving the he quality of free education in the poorest areas.

American public schools are largely funded by local taxes, deprived areas have underfunded schools. Massive amounts of potential is wasted.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Last edited by OrangeAfroMan; November 11 2017 at 03:31:08 AM.
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Survivorship bias.

American public schools are largely funded by local taxes, deprived areas have underfunded schools. Massive amounts of potential is wasted.
    None of the schools that offer this, Ivy League schools, are public.

Stanford is a private school, not a public school.

I meant high schools and such.

Access to those colleges depends on educational achievement.

I meant high schools and such.

Access to those colleges depends on educational achievement.
    You mean merit? What exactly is wrong with that?

Public high schools that are good drive property prices in the US, this is true. You can see this quite obviously in some towns with multiple schools. The ones where the school is good tend to be 11-20% higher, due to the school district, so, chicken or egg. Most people I talk to here think the school district came first in a lot of cases, and that turned the community affluent, as competition for the school drives property prices up, and thus property taxes, and thus school budget up. My American mom says this is what happened in Palo Alto. The school made a decision to invest heavily in good teachers in the 60s. This attracted smart people who wanted the best for their kids, and they went on to create Silicon Valley, and so it goes.

Of course the flip side.of that virtuous cycle is that anywhere with schools that aren't noticeably above average gets fucked and then more fucked over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Survivorship bias.

It gets even better:

Underperforming schools get funding cuts.

It's fucking retarded.

Erich: underfunded schools due to low taxes due to poverty can't give the students the help they need to offset what families can't provide at home.
    You know things like breakfast (increases grades significantly due to better concentration across the school day), help with homework, creating a welcoming environment (a home too small does create stress in kids due to shared bedrooms for example).
    It's stupidly easy for schools to alleviate these three things by offering school breakfast, dedicated homework help by tutors (local uni students etc), having a building that doesn't fall apart.

My school only manages one of these and not for everyone (though pretty close to), and that is the tutoring.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Survivorship bias.

It gets even better:

It's fucking retarded.

Erich: underfunded schools due to low taxes due to poverty can't give the students the help they need to offset what families can't provide at home.
    You know things like breakfast (increases grades significantly due to better concentration across the school day), help with homework, creating a welcoming environment (a home too small does create stress in kids due to shared bedrooms for example).
    It's stupidly easy for schools to alleviate these three things by offering school breakfast, dedicated homework help by tutors (local uni students etc), having a building that doesn't fall apart.

My school only manages one of these and not for everyone (though pretty close to), and that is the tutoring.

Tapapapatalk
    Yeah, well until people in this country wake up and put the blame for this, where it is due, or, the Republican Party, and all the people that vote for it, i.e. those with Selfish Asshole Disorder (SAD) then I donít know what to tell you. People have tried to help them but they all got angry that a nigger was in charge.

Personally, i think what the Ivy League schools are doing is a good step. They know they need more economic diversity, but half the country hates black people.

you and your retarded hyperbole is the problem.

Retarded racists not being called out whenever and wherever they are found is actually the problem, but letís keep mollycoddling them and listening to their ďissuesĒ.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Retarded racists not being called out whenever and wherever they are found is actually the problem, but let’s keep mollycoddling them and listening to their “issues”.
    See: FHC

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    you and your retarded hyperbole is the problem.
    "made us do it"

Survivorship bias.

It gets even better:

It's fucking retarded.

Tapapapatalk
    Yeah, well until people in this country wake up and put the blame for this, where it is due, or, the Republican Party, and all the people that vote for it, i.e. those with Selfish Asshole Disorder (SAD) then I donít know what to tell you. People have tried to help them but they all got angry that a nigger was in charge.

Personally, i think what the Ivy League schools are doing is a good step. They know they need more economic diversity, but half the country hates black people.
    >Only black people can be poor.

Offering kids from low income familes is laudible but if you're intervening at college age to improve the outcomes of 'at risk' individuals (disfunctional families, low aspirations, note neither of these things go hand in hand with low incomes but often do) you're probably too late TBH.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post

Survivorship bias.

It gets even better:

It's fucking retarded.

Tapapapatalk
    Yeah, well until people in this country wake up and put the blame for this, where it is due, or, the Republican Party, and all the people that vote for it, i.e. those with Selfish Asshole Disorder (SAD) then I don’t know what to tell you. People have tried to help them but they all got angry that a nigger was in charge.

>Only black people can be poor.

Offering kids from low income familes is laudible but if you're intervening at college age to improve the outcomes of 'at risk' individuals (disfunctional families, low aspirations, note neither of these things go hand in hand with low incomes but often do) you're probably too late TBH.
    Indeed, I wonder if an American can enlighten me on scholarships in the US. I know there are sports scholarships for top universities, but are there also scholarships for academic achievement? Also, does your high school system offer scholarships based on academic achievement as well?