hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 504 of 591 FirstFirst ... 4404454494501502503504505506507514554 ... LastLast
Results 10,061 to 10,080 of 11816

Thread: St Louis - Muskets Thread (USA civil unrest)

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Isn't "I did it for ISIS" just 2017s version of metal fans claiming to worship the devil in the 90s - it's just a convenient "fuck society" bogeyman for shock value isnt it, not like a legitimate, thought out political ideological statement?
    Exactly my thoughts. Especially if you look at those dude's backstories. A lot of 'em haven't lived a religious life at all. Lots of petty crimes, drugs, alcohol in their vita.
    Which is why the terrorism route is so tempting; it absolves them from all past sins and provides those virgins.

If you want to radicalize a muslim the best place to find a volunteer is amongst those sinful youth.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Mental distress can certainly be a factor in someone deciding to become a shooter. But stats show that someone with an actual mental illness is far far far more likely to be the victim of violence than the perpetrator, gun violence included.
    Due to how population numbers work you're more likely to be a victim of most things than a perpetrator.
    Indeed. People are terrible at judging risks. The most dangerous place to be: at home.

Latest LVPD presser:

59 dead. 515 injured.
    meh

This is an edgy post.

Spoiler:

Since when can we not memepost after something like this?
      Spoiler:

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Are you seriously asking why people are not cool with having a joke at the expense of 60 murder victims the day after it happened?

Edgelords man...

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Mental distress can certainly be a factor in someone deciding to become a shooter. But stats show that someone with an actual mental illness is far far far more likely to be the victim of violence than the perpetrator, gun violence included.
    Maybe I should have said "mental illness, personality disorder or brainwashing".

I mean, no-one sane, balanced and rational goes on a murder-suicide rampage.

While I appreciate your sensitivity to potential abuse of the mentally ill, this is simply not the way the issue needs looked at.

The question that should be asked is: Of mass shooters/bombers, how many/what percentage suffered from mental illness.

The vast majority of every group is more likely to be a victim, not a perp. In a similar vein, one could offer up that the overwhelming majority of multiple-gun-owning NRA members are more likely to be victims than perps.

The more appropriate question is who makes up the majority of mass shooters/mass bombers, and why do they do what they do, etc.

lol

mental illness discussion... check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    at least we're not Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    I mean, mental illness is the route cause of all of this shit isnt it?

edit for clarification: I mean Rak's posting. But also mass shootings/bombings.
    Both my posting and sending jews to the gas chambers is all rooted in rational decisions.

Or perhaps reducing complex issues down to 'good', 'evil' or 'mental illness' is a bit simplistic.

Plenty of people think about suicide and/or hurting others, and a lot of people go through with it. When you add ideology and religion that promotes these things in addition to solving all your problems in the afterlife, you increase the Venn diagram of people who will actually commit those acts.
    And banned again. Thanks mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    While I appreciate your sensitivity to potential abuse of the mentally ill, this is simply not the way the issue needs looked at.

The question that should be asked is: Of mass shooters/bombers, how many/what percentage suffered from mental illness.

The vast majority of every group is more likely to be a victim, not a perp. In a similar vein, one could offer up that the overwhelming majority of multiple-gun-owning NRA members are more likely to be victims than perps.

The more appropriate question is who makes up the majority of mass shooters/mass bombers, and why do they do what they do, etc.
    I do understand people wanting to protect those with mental illness. I'm a long term sufferer myself and like the majority of people with mental illnesses, the thought of suicide was much greater than anything else. On top of that I wouldn't want to be under suspicion of being dangerous all the time. The prejudices and stigmas we have to deal with in daily life are hard enough.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

I do understand people wanting to protect those with mental illness. I'm a long term sufferer myself and like the majority of people with mental illnesses, the thought of suicide was much greater than anything else. On top of that I wouldn't want to be under suspicion of being dangerous all the time. The prejudices and stigmas we have to deal with in daily life are hard enough.
    I'm pretty sure that's a sentiment that would be equally felt by black males, muslims, gun owners and pretty much everyone else.

As I said, it's quite understandable, but it's not relevant. Understanding why and how mass shooters mass shoot is what matters, not avoiding facts because of the potential of distrust of a large group.

“Nowhere but America do horrific large-scale mass shootings happen with this degree of regularity,” Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., said in a statement. “This must stop. It is positively infuriating that my colleagues in Congress are so afraid of the gun industry that they pretend there aren't public policy responses to this epidemic. There are, and the thoughts and prayers of politicians are cruelly hollow if they are paired with continued legislative indifference. It's time for Congress to get off its ass and do something."
    Well said, but I want to see the proposed new law that would have actually stopped of of these shooting in the past few years. Because as we've discussed in the past, the vast majority of proposals after an event like this are unrelated to the how or why of the gun possession/use of the assailants.

Need an example, see Hillary's comments about "silencers" today.

With that said, I'd love to see some new law (or enforcement of older laws) that would reduce these events. I too want to go to a concert and not fear being shot or bombed.

I really gave up on any hope of sensible gun reform after congress failed to act after Sandy Hook. The sheer injury count here might prove to be leverage enough, but the NRA no doubt already has email blasts out to all their members telling them to contact their representatives with talking points as a preventative measure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    I really gave up on any hope of sensible gun reform after congress failed to act after Sandy Hook. The sheer injury count here might prove to be leverage enough, but the NRA no doubt already has email blasts out to all their members telling them to contact their representatives with talking points as a preventative measure.
    Because guns kill people
    No people kill people and a gun is just a tool

And dont start with the bullshit about how easy it is to get guns in America if you want an assault rifle you will get your hands on one

It's basically like weed. It's illegal and yet every idiot smokes it
    https://i.imgur.com/Rvz5b6l.gif
    Careful not head hit on rock!
    laughs in Slovenian
    http://i.imgur.com/FCT2R1h.png

The next republic to control North America might do something about guns, but this one won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    Because guns kill people
    No people kill people and a gun is just a tool

And dont start with the bullshit about how easy it is to get guns in America if you want an assault rifle you will get your hands on one

It's basically like weed. It's illegal and yet every idiot smokes it
    Maybe in Slavistan, but in the civilised parts of the world getting a gun is quite the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    The next republic to control North America might do something about guns, but this one won't.
    The US would ban hotels before it would guns

Getting a gun is as hard as installing the tor browser bundle.

Aka everyone can do it.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Getting a gun is as hard as installing the tor browser bundle.

Aka everyone can do it.

Tapapapatalk
    but its enough hassle to stop people whom are having a momentary lapse of judgement.

1 man causes 59 deaths and other 500 injuries.

This is going to happen again and again because what the fuck is preventing it? The hope that no one else in a nation of 350 million people is as deranged and evil?

Fucking hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    at least we're not Greece.

I mean, mental illness is the route cause of all of this shit isnt it?

edit for clarification: I mean Rak's posting. But also mass shootings/bombings.
    Idk if serious but I'm tired of the 'its mental illness' line that gets brought out every fucking time this happens

The vast majority of people with mental illnesses don't go out and commit mass murder

And there's plenty of chillingly sane people that have no problem slaughtering strangers for political/financial gain