hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 299 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

PM me for a free Vagabond

Re: Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

often looked at warmachine but never really played it - got far too much other stuff to get done (of course)

just discussing next years games in WoT

one of the games next year will be 1/300 scale WWII using the old WRG rules.

1/300 scale means putting approximately a division on the table at a go. per side.

looks like we'll be doing early war too which makes it more interesting. no 'hordes of tigers and panthers' to contend with.

1/300 is what...6mm give or take?

I did 6mm Cold War era for a while. T-72 regiments ve chieftains, awesome.

http://www.ironhands.com/necro.htm

check this guys website out. I wish I could model and paint like this.

Any of you play the Ambush Alley games, i.e Force on Force? They have modern infantry combat, with mostly an army vs insurgency theme going through it, but have branched out into Vietnam and Iraq.

I don't have the money to spend on GW stuff, and I wouldn't want to play it if I did have the money. This looks like it could be good and cheap. I figure I'm going to buy the rulesbook once the weekend is over, and see if it's worth splurging on two forces. Two forces as no-one I know is going to buy into it along with me, but probably will play if I buy. I figure I can get the book, two forces good enough for skirmishing and paints for about €120. And even better it will be do-able in smaller packages as I get the cash for it.

Amazon
    Last edited by Mrenda; July 30 2011 at 02:54:23 AM.

Full Thrust.

We've had these models for a few years now, occasionally they see the light of day.
    A fun game although the makers need to get around to sorting out the rule set properly.

So since its been a while we decided to have a small game to start based on the Start Fleet pack. I have NSL, other players have UNSC, FSU and NAC fleets.

UNSC = United Nations
    FSU = French/Italian/Spanish
    NAC = Anglo American
    NSL = Austro-Hungarian kind of
    other fleets plus alien races are available.

Since this is a game based in the screaming vacuum of space, velocity is a bit tricky. We don't use vector movement (although there are rules for that) however it does mean that you choose a starting speed between 4 and 18 inches and you either add or subtract to that from then on.
    e.g. Starting speed of 12" in the first turn I accelerate up to 4" so I move 16" and next turn that is my velocity so if I accelerate again I am now doing 20" and so on.
    This makes for a very interesting game and yes it does require a rather large play area - we use black bedsheets taped to the floor for the play area.

The first game was predictable: hesitant combat with players thumbing through the rule book trying to remember how to do things, the NSL fleet ended up at 40" per turn doing drive-by's on any target that happened to be in the way.

So the next game was begun and we used larger fleets since it was all coming back to us by now. this game was incredibly bloody with fleets from all sides taking severe damage as the afternoon wore on. Of course the UNSC fleet lost nearly a whole squadron when the controlling player failed to plan ahead sufficiently and flew into an asteroid field.
    To succesfully dodge an asteroid you need to subtract your thrust rating from your current velocity. you then roll 1d6 and you need to equal or exceed that number to avoid the asteroid. so. the player in question went kind of white when he realised he was doing 24" velocity and had a thrust rating of 4. splat. (do ships hitting asteroids in space go 'splat?') he was left with 2 ships from a squadron of 8, once again proving that planning ahead really does help.

more games are to be had and I shall be writing some up here to annoy, bore and maybe entertain you.
    I am also repainting my NSL and shall be posting pics etc to show you all how terrible I am at painting. Especially since im thinking about using the airbrush again.......

Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    Full Thrust.

We've had these models for a few years now, occasionally they see the light of day.
    A fun game although the makers need to get around to sorting out the rule set properly.

So since its been a while we decided to have a small game to start based on the Start Fleet pack. I have NSL, other players have UNSC, FSU and NAC fleets.

UNSC = United Nations
    NAC = Anglo American

Since this is a game based in the screaming vacuum of space, velocity is a bit tricky. We don't use vector movement (although there are rules for that) however it does mean that you choose a starting speed between 4 and 18 inches and you either add or subtract to that from then on.
    e.g. Starting speed of 12" in the first turn I accelerate up to 4" so I move 16" and next turn that is my velocity so if I accelerate again I am now doing 20" and so on.
    This makes for a very interesting game and yes it does require a rather large play area - we use black bedsheets taped to the floor for the play area.

The first game was predictable: hesitant combat with players thumbing through the rule book trying to remember how to do things, the NSL fleet ended up at 40" per turn doing drive-by's on any target that happened to be in the way.

So the next game was begun and we used larger fleets since it was all coming back to us by now. this game was incredibly bloody with fleets from all sides taking severe damage as the afternoon wore on. Of course the UNSC fleet lost nearly a whole squadron when the controlling player failed to plan ahead sufficiently and flew into an asteroid field.
    To succesfully dodge an asteroid you need to subtract your thrust rating from your current velocity. you then roll 1d6 and you need to equal or exceed that number to avoid the asteroid. so. the player in question went kind of white when he realised he was doing 24" velocity and had a thrust rating of 4. splat. (do ships hitting asteroids in space go 'splat?') he was left with 2 ships from a squadron of 8, once again proving that planning ahead really does help.

more games are to be had and I shall be writing some up here to annoy, bore and maybe entertain you.
    I am also repainting my NSL and shall be posting pics etc to show you all how terrible I am at painting. Especially since im thinking about using the airbrush again.......
    More of this please. Just bought a ScanFed and NSL starter fleets and am painting. looking forward to trying it out as the rules of the game seems quite good (planning to use the Full Thrust: Cross Dimensions version).

remind me- isthat the version with the random event cards?

Keeping in mind that I'm only halfway through the rules yet (have scanned them all though), no, no random events. It's basically one rulebook that combines all the rules of the original Full Thrust, More Thrust and Fleet Books 1 and 2 with a few changes to help with the balance. Makes it easier just to have that one book.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~laran...les/index.html

ah right.

occasionally we use a set of cards that put random events in. so when you reach a threshold, rather than roll to see which modules have died you take a card and it can either do nothing to your ship or something nasty.... or you get a 'Final Frontier' card where something really random happens such as:

1) Dave Lister fixes your warp drive (or Rimmer completely buggers it)
    2) COmmander whorf (however you fucking spell it) turns up on your bridge and stops everyone fighting or something
    3) Commander Kruge turns up in a heavy cruiser and is VERY upset with you
    etc etc

I think they might be a set we made up ourselves but I honestly cant remember. it certainly adds a bit more to the game (usually fear when you flip over a Final Frontier card)

I've just about finished painting my ships and found that the paint come off really easy if you are not careful (using citadel paints). What's a good way to protect them? Would hair spray do the trick or is it better to use whatever is in the citadel line for it?

1) did you undercoat?

2) varnish. dont bother with the citadel stuff its overpriced. any good model shop will have cheaper alternatives.

1) did you undercoat?

2) varnish. dont bother with the citadel stuff its overpriced. any good model shop will have cheaper alternatives.
    1) Yep, Chaos Black.

2) There are no other model shops around here but I guess I can find some online. As far as I've read a coat of gloos and then a coat of matt varnish is best?

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Full Thrust.

UNSC = United Nations
    NAC = Anglo American

LINK TO WHAT EVER THIS IS NOAW!

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    LINK TO WHAT EVER THIS IS NOAW!
    Rules: http://www.groundzerogames.net/mambo...d=29&Itemid=50
    Minis: http://shop.groundzerogames.net/inde...ewCat&catId=31

Played this for many (like...15....) years. Confirming it is AWESOME.
    There's also a better collected rulebook done by the community somewhere, i'll try to find the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaianna View Post
    Rules: http://www.groundzerogames.net/mambo...d=29&Itemid=50
    Minis: http://shop.groundzerogames.net/inde...ewCat&catId=31

Played this for many (like...15....) years. Confirming it is AWESOME.
    There's also a better collected rulebook done by the community somewhere, i'll try to find the link.
    See the link i provided earlier.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

did you clean the models before undercoating? might still have a film of the release agent used so they don't stick to molds, which also means paint just sits on top of the release agent and flakes off easily. just a scrub with a brush in warm soapy water will do.

as an addition to shiodomes comment, and this applies to any model/figure painting:

always clean the models first in some warm soapy water
    once cleaned you should avoid handling them as much as possible (for smaller figures stick them to something you can handle easily)
    greasy fingers can cause nightmares when painting.

regaerding varnish: yes use a coat of gloss then a coat of matt - when the model starts to go shiny you know its time to re-varnish with matt.
    if you must use spray varnish, pay attention to the temperature of the can - it effects the finish severely if its not right (hot or cold). I spent 6 months building a 1/32 scale Stuka for a show only to fuck it up with a bad varnish finish in the last week. unhappy.

Can't wait for this btw:
    http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...idm=174&esem=2

It's based on Wings of War (which is a great game), but freaking TIE fighters and X-Wings! Do want.

oooh... we play wings of war....

however. what I want is a metal mini manufacturer to produce star wars stuff so we can paint them ourselves. same for EvE.
    (full thrust EvE variant with mini's would be awesomesauce)