hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 309 of 312 FirstFirst ... 209259299306307308309310311312 LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,180 of 6224

Thread: Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

bleh, bit cagey working on all this resin in the house and it's about a billion degrees outside so putting everything on hold for a month until the shed is built and insulated - then I can go bananas on it. Picking up the DA upgrade sprue tomorrow, contemplating some Iron Warriors later in the year. Definitely getting a recast Legion Praevian for that.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    just ordered some more FW bits as i got a leviathan dreadnought and a proteus land speeder for Xmas and wanted to round out the weapons options for the dread. Used it as an opportunity to get a few more contemptor weapons too for maximum magnetification

So my phone chucked this story at me and it vexes me, so naturally I thought I'd share it,

"GWs Painting Standards Becoming the Competitive Norm"

Coming from the mouth of GW themselves, they expect to see the level of painting on all minis like the one all the way to the left at their events at Warhammer World.
    So on the one hand I can understand them wanting their product to look good at their own tournaments, but ultimately this feels like shitty gate-keeping.

It's shitty gatekeeping. I have mockingly discussed running an Infinity tournament with negative points for painted models.

What I find particularly egregious about that standard is the "meh" picture. It's actually a really good tabletop standard for someone who has no interest in painting. A better example would have been: painted red, helmet painted yellow, guns painted metal, base painted in a single colour texture paint.

I haven't painted anything since 2003. I have no interest in painting anything, I'd prefer to spend my limited hobby time converting or building terrain. If this standard was widely applied in Infinity I'd probably stop playing.

I generally go as far to the left of that picture as I can. I've seen Warmachine tournaments where both sides field bare metal. That's disheartening when you've taken the time to paint yours.
    I also saw one guy try to buy his figures just before the tournament. Needless to say, with the number of parts those things come in that didn't work.

I did once have what was supposed to be a friendly game against someone with bad eyes. My figures were supposed to be stealthy so I painted them in dark colours & put them in the wooded areas. I didn't realise until half way through the game that he wasn't shooting at them because he couldn't seem them, fully painted was probably sub-optimal that time.
    Last edited by Netjerenbau; January 27 2019 at 10:28:42 AM.

Casual GW HQ tournament rules from a few years back should apply.
    Best painted side wins if you draw on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    It's shitty gatekeeping. I have mockingly discussed running an Infinity tournament with negative points for painted models.

What I find particularly egregious about that standard is the "meh" picture. It's actually a really good tabletop standard for someone who has no interest in painting. A better example would have been: painted red, helmet painted yellow, guns painted metal, base painted in a single colour texture paint.

I haven't painted anything since 2003. I have no interest in painting anything, I'd prefer to spend my limited hobby time converting or building terrain. If this standard was widely applied in Infinity I'd probably stop playing.
    GW has brain damage if they expect people to paint 60-70 chaff units like poxwalkers and boyz up to the standard on the left

High level Warmahordes competition (Masters or Invitational) general requires painted armies, but entry level play does not. There are far more rules about conversions and them being recognizable that about painting.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    High level Warmahordes competition (Masters or Invitational) general requires painted armies, but entry level play does not. There are far more rules about conversions and them being recognizable that about painting.
    This must have been at the lower end, then. I didn't take part myself.
    Some of the figures were interesting. I remember one player had exquisite base conversions, they looked great. The figures on them were still bare metal, though.

Git gud.

When I used to play I hated going against unpainted stuff, it is usually so hard to tell things apart. Generally even in non-gw tournaments here the rule has been "at least 3 different colors" and you get tournament points for the paintwork. Many players wouldn't get their painting done without the tournament imposed deadlines =)

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Git gud.

When I used to play I hated going against unpainted stuff, it is usually so hard to tell things apart. Generally even in non-gw tournaments here the rule has been "at least 3 different colors" and you get tournament points for the paintwork. Many players wouldn't get their painting done without the tournament imposed deadlines =)
    Git gud.

I can visually id unpainted units across the battlefield with the same acuity that I can painted ones.

Isn't it up to a hobbyist how they motivate themselves to conduct their own hobby?

Why does it matter if your opponent's army is painted or not? How does that detract from your enjoyment of the game?

with the shear amount of paint on the market today you have no excuse not to get a painted army.
    You could paint that BA using 2 cans of spray paint, black, silver, and a brown wash. It would legit take me longer to clip, clean and assemble the mini than paint it to that middle standard. Same with things like pox walkers, spray white or bone, then wash 3 random colours purple, green, brown, drybrush white and repeat washes. Id be pissed if id paid to join a tournament spent my time creating my army, painting, making it unique and then i get an army of grey plastic to fight against because "I dont like to paint". get a commission painter to do it then.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    with the shear amount of paint on the market today you have no excuse not to get a painted army.
    You could paint that BA using 2 cans of spray paint, black, silver, and a brown wash. It would legit take me longer to clip, clean and assemble the mini than paint it to that middle standard. Same with things like pox walkers, spray white or bone, then wash 3 random colours purple, green, brown, drybrush white and repeat washes. Id be pissed if id paid to join a tournament spent my time creating my army, painting, making it unique and then i get an army of grey plastic to fight against because "I dont like to paint". get a commission painter to do it then.
    I honestly don't understand why it offends you? I'm not being facetious. But why does someone participating in the hobby in the way that brings them most joy take away from yours?

I'm literally saying that if the middle standard was required in the system I play, I'd not have started wargaming again. How is that better for the community than occasionally playing unpainted armies and encouraging people to paint their armies with positive reinforcement?

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    I honestly don't understand why it offends you? I'm not being facetious. But why does someone participating in the hobby in the way that brings them most joy take away from yours?

I'm literally saying that if the middle standard was required in the system I play, I'd not have started wargaming again. How is that better for the community than occasionally playing unpainted armies and encouraging people to paint their armies with positive reinforcement?
    There's a difference between playing at your local store with a WIP army and then say going to a GT. The GT is supposed to be the top level of the hobby and it should be reflected as such by the participants. Im not offended by it at all it's just a preference, now offended I was when I saw pics from a high level tournament that had bare polystyrene foam terrain and bits of cardboard etc that was offensive. But hey I don't play I just paint so who cares what I think.

Golden Daemon, Crystal Brush and similar competitions are the 'top level' of the painting aspect of the hobby. Pretty much every major tournament has a 'best painted' category.

Why is it unreasonable to desire an aspect of the hobby that is just about gameplay?

I don't paint, I just play. And apparently I'm a lesser member of the community because of it. Despite the fact I'm probably more active in promoting the community than someone who paints on their own, for their own pleasure. That's the message I get from 'painting requirements for tournaments'.

Shitty gatekeeping can fuck right off. Just accept that not everyone enjoys the same aspects of your hobby and get off people's balls about it.

There is very much a schism between older Warhammer/re-enaction players, where there have been "min 3 colours" aka tabletop ready rules in place in tournaments forever, and in sckirmish games. Most small skirmish games, even though they have orders of magnitude less models, are a lot more relaxed and uncaring about painting.

in infinity for example, tournes usually state "as long as you have LOF/Facing marked nobody cared.

Though lots of skirmish only players are ex hordes of plastic players. So it's a bit of both. Personally i don't care if you are unpainted. My Aleph are zenithaled, base marked then sprayed blue. i dont' have the time to fix them. But i'm a dirty Skirmish player

The 'min 3 colours' thing was probably in turn a reaction to old-skool WFB players turning up with a thousand unrecognisable squats and claiming all kinds of bullshit, or maybe just looking like crap ? A 6x4 board with 500 grey models looks a lot worse than a 4x4 with 6 unpainted models.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Golden Daemon, Crystal Brush and similar competitions are the 'top level' of the painting aspect of the hobby. Pretty much every major tournament has a 'best painted' category.

Why is it unreasonable to desire an aspect of the hobby that is just about gameplay?

I don't paint, I just play. And apparently I'm a lesser member of the community because of it. Despite the fact I'm probably more active in promoting the community than someone who paints on their own, for their own pleasure. That's the message I get from 'painting requirements for tournaments'.
    yeah, you are a lesser member of the community. that's your choice, doesn't actually matter.

I think games are generally more enjoyable with two sets of painted figures on the table. It was never something I ever cared about much when table top gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Shitty gatekeeping can fuck right off.