hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 266 of 280 FirstFirst ... 166216256263264265266267268269276 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,320 of 5589

Thread: Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

the spray doesn't go everywhere, it's pretty controllable. it will basically only go in the direction you point the airbrush and doesn't spatter. but you'll find that any room you airbrush in regularly will start building up a layer of 'paint dust' from particles in the air settling.

i bought one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to basically suck any over spray out through a window. was £68 but there's also really simple guides on making the same thing out of a box and old PC fans. don't have links but remember seeing them when researching.

the cleaning pot is essential, the brushes are useful. i also found myself using a ton of cotton ear buds for cleaning out the paint bowl (where paint sits in a gravity fed airbrush) when i wanted quick changes of colour without a full disassembly / strip clean. would also recommend buying a big box of cheap latex gloves, because your hands will get covered in paint and it's a pita to clean off entirely. i dunno if you have it included in the paints coming, but you'll also need some masking liquid and/or tape. unless you're planning on only painting things single colours.

i have the Angel Giraldez book, and it's basically very good but i don't know that there's anything you couldn't also find online. don't regret buying it though. not much more to say.
    Last edited by Shiodome; January 7 2017 at 05:22:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    So. Airbrush buying / using / maintaining - if you don't mind dudes:

The earlier mentioned FoxHunter KMS with cheapo airbrushes is enough to get me started which i'm happy with then can be upgraded in bits if / when necessary. Excellent.

I'm considering buying this range of stuff to go with it so I've got a nice range of paint, cleaning stuff et al to go along. Is it all as useful as it sounds:
    - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002U5QX04 vallejo air paint set
    - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professiona...dp/B005DM37MI/ cleaning pot
    - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABEST-Airbr...DZE3K/Cleaning Brushes

Plus some big pots of Vallejo Thinner and Cleaner. Is there anything else i'm likely to need off the bat? Or better options?

another thing i'm wondering - how much does paint go everywhere? My house no longer has a dedicated hobby station though I can build something out of MDF and plastic if needs be to limit the amount of spray that goes on the nice new wallpaper & roaming child - is there even much in the way of flying paint to make this a problem?

Has anyoen who plays infinity used any of the Angel GiraldeZ books on learning to 'brush infinity models either? Are they worth the money it'd cost to pick one up ?
    Don't forget primer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

Don't forget primer
    i live near a halfords it's chill m8
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

Don't forget primer
    i live near a halfords it's chill m8
    Basically my issues are get everything, spread them out and start working then find out I'm missing smth small but essential and I need to leave everything with the cat and visit Maplin or Halfords or Hobbycraft :/

Last edited by Cosmin; January 8 2017 at 10:37:20 AM.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    i bought one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to basically suck any over spray out through a window. was £68 but there's also really simple guides on making the same thing out of a box and old PC fans. don't have links but remember seeing them when researching.
    Just ordered all the parts i should need to build a spray box with 120mm fans, a led strip and bits. Spare wood and a few strips of unused Cooker Hood Filter should finish the box then there's a nice box to put it all is. This is looking like a fun project for the weekend.

thansk again

nice. it's always cool when your hobby spills over into all kinds of weird supporting side projects. my plastic toys hobby had me learning photoshop (to make campaign material), woodworking (making a gaming table), painting and airbrushing (obviously), excel (gotta have those league table spreadsheets for bloodbowl) and probably a bunch of other things.

Think I'll go for one myself, just need to dig up the parts since I'm p sure I have everything. Going to go with cardboard for the box though and paper glue, being green ftw.

Read a lot on dual action airbrushing since when I opened my package in was liek omgwtf. Today practice session, going for a graffiti to see what's what, then proceed to work on the F14. Might repaint bits on the BSG model since I'm not exceedingly happy with the way the base and stripes turned out.

Six shooters ruined PvP.

Proceeded to get a few beers and practiced a bit. Paint is a massive issue, I have a collection of paints that came with models, purchased from around, but I suspect all of them are for brushes, not airbrushing. Tried diluting them with ridiculous 1:15-1:20 ratios and the airbrush still gets clogged (used Tamiya thinner) and it does that at the most inappropriate times.

I looked it up and apparently there are paints specifically for airbrushing, however it's becoming apparent this is a rather pricey investment overall, especially if you want a cleaning station and all the bells and whistles (and yes, you do want those). What makes me particularly sad is that I have some p. awesome colours that I wouldn't be able to spray rigurously, when you're rather inexperienced the last thing you want is the airbrush clogging up at random times.

Went on Amazon, set of 16 airbrush paints is 29 quid, "prethinned", what the actual fuck.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

'allegedly' there is more to clogging than the paint thickness. nozzles, pressure and the distance between tip and target are all important.
    http://www.craigcentral.com/models/thinning.asp

ACRYLICS -- Acrylics for model use are usually water-soluble. In many cases you can use just plain water to thin them, and in fact this is what PollyScale recommends for their acrylics. Other alternatives are Windex, automotive windshield cleaner or isopropyl alcohol. I usually use isopropyl alcohol, however this causes a couple of side affects that you should be aware of:
    It causes acrylics to dry just a little bit quicker. Since they already dry so fast that they frequently cause "Tip Dry" on airbrushes, this just compounds the problem. I always add a couple of drops of acrylic retarder to my paint cup to slow the drying time down.
    In the case of Tamiya acrylics isopropyl alcohol will cause glossy paint to dry with a flat finish.
    Maybe add some Airbrush medium? the bottom of that link has some ~science~ about it.

this is just form my own research though - i didn't know any of this until now
    Last edited by Itiken; January 11 2017 at 10:11:28 AM.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Avoid WHSmith super glue the only thing it sticks to is cloths and my desk and the bottle is super narrow so it falls over constantly. on the plus side i have assembled loads more grenadeirs for my ww2 Germans and have started on some German Paras for operation Mercury. i want to try and get one project a month done this year and this months is finishing my urban game board which i am about 50% of the way through shall share some pics tonight.

So, what I had was surface primer, airbrush thinner and airbrush cleaner from vallejo. Primer and thinner are awesome together, did 1/2 of my F14 model with them since the other "half" was done with automotive white porous primer (unsure how the whole model will turn out, but fingers crossed).

I have used the Vallejo airbrush thinner initially and it sucked with previous acrylic paints I had albeit I diluted those something ridiculous like 1:15 or 1:20 paint to thinner.

Ordered today Liquitex Airbrush Medium and added a couple drops in the previously thinned paint. I have to say it's absofuckinlutely amazeballs. The coverage is fantastic and atomising is fab. Never thought a few drops could make this much of a difference. In the process I also found the paint I'm going to use on my Hurricane 1:34 model (hint, it's this one, managed to pull out a fantastic camo green by complete accident).

Clogging is much rarer, but otoh my technique is also improving.

Gon' buy some proper sheets to practice on from Hobbycraft or WHSmith and see what's what, so far my canvas is a cardboard box I've been using to spray paint stuff previously.

Overall very happy. Trying to stash my shit I also found my developing chemicals and it suddenly hit me I have smth like 10 rolls of undeveloped film waiting for me. Talk about hobby overlapping
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Last night proceeded to paint the base for the BSG model. It is astonishing to see the precision possible with a good airbrush, and clogging is rarer and rarer. Will finish it during the weekend albeit I'll be working long days, but it's so relaxing to do that it's completely worth it.

Also received matte and glossy varnish which I'll have to apply to the already painted BSG.

Next up is the F14 cuz it's larger and then I'll move to painting the Concorde I've finished up in BA's colours.

Only after I'm done with everything stated above I'll move to the Belfast model and then the Hurricane.

After that I'll get the Tirpitz with the detailing kit since ohgodqueenofthenorth.

Six shooters ruined PvP.

the one i'm looking at is ranked 1337 in DIY + Tools on amazon.
    It's a sign....

I think I went overboard in the first place with the models since I never actually considered seriously painting them (or didn't think much about it). The issue is that literally it takes a lot of effort to do it properly not only because it does, but because I apparently have OCD personality disorder and can't stand having something half arsed done
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Have you been drinking or I ? that makes no sense ?

FOX + KomprssOr + airbrushes + paints + other assorted crap on their way to me for SUNDAY. god i love amazon. if it didn't exist i'd have to invent it.

The Spray booth build is looking aright too. I fired up an overpowered LED Driver running a strip of m3 stickon LED's and 2 12v PC fans this evening to prove it won't just set on fire and. well. Maybe less lights required....

more SCIENCE tomorrow. for now i must drink whisky and bask in LED's and FANS.

MOAR SHINY!

Awesome.

#BadAtBotes

Have you been drinking or I ? that makes no sense ?
    What I meant is I bought 5 models (actually 6, will expand on that later ) -> F14, Concorde, BSG, HMS Belfast, Hurricane. Only finished building the first three, out of which only the BSG is 95% finished (need to paint it again cuz OCD with details). Belfast I'm at the second kit because the first one I bought managed to warp the keel when I've put it together (yeah, polycement sux balls, don't use it). My model building skills are improving quite a bit and so do the painting ones, however it takes forever to finish something simply because I'm a mad man with details. The BSG base is at its 10th coat of paint (not even joking) and it isn't the last
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Just need to design / build a detachable filter for the back to catch paint particles, and still allow the box to be stored flat.
    Oh. and a pony.

Just need to design / build a detachable filter for the back to catch paint particles, and still allow the box to be stored flat.
    Oh. and a pony.
    Very nice!

Personally I'd try to put the filter before the fans so they don't get gunked up with paint. You can probably find inexpensive filters sized for your fans - I know there are for larger fans of that style.

In any case, enjoy it! Looks pretty awesome.

#BadAtBotes