hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 302 12341151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

PM me for a free Vagabond

Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

We got the 40K thread.

We got the Bloodbowl thread.

Welp, theres more wargames out there and I know you guys play some so this is what this here is for.

battle reports.
    figure painting tips
    modelling tips
    conversions
    model making tools and kit
    stuff

Re: Wargaming

So.

Saturday was an all day gaming session at the club. We played Combat Zone which is a newer version of the old Killzone rules by Ground Zero Games. We possess a motley mix of the old Grenadier figures developed for Killzone and the newer sets sold by IM4 Miniatures.

Terrain was built by Ironman and Budgie Smuggler in 2008/9 to provide us a sci-fi type town/base for various games in 28mm scale.
    One day I might post pics.

So. We've played this a few times now so the rules are straightforward. However we like to mix things up a bit. Sometimes its gangs v gangs, sometimes we throw some para-military/ police/ military etc. I even have some corporate bodyguard types from the old Grenadier range.

This time we decided to go with Zombies. But not the shuffling, braaaiiinnns type. Oh no. Think 28 Days Later type of Zombie. these guys are FAST, they are attracted to noise and they can smell you so being quiet won't help.

Objective: to get the generator going so that we can power up the radio and call for a helicopter to come get us (which might have enough seats to get us all out.... it might not). It is night time. visibility is 20cm.

Theres 5 gangs on the table of 3 figures each. the most advanced weapon is an assault rifle. Everyone else has a mix of shotguns, pistols, swords and clubs.

For my part, the gang set up on a roof with easily defended lines of sight. the mighty High Sierra immediately proved that he cannot be trusted with a tape measure when he started measuring stuff in inches, decided he could see a Zombie and let loose with the shotgun.
    GM stepped in with a barely stifled giggle and reminded me that the measurements were in centimetres, I couldn't see what I was shooting at and I had just advertised my presence to every zombie on the table. great.

everyone else hunkered down a bit more and listened to what would become an epic running battle as I ran away screaming toward the centre of the table. Big Phil and the spotty teenager decided that they wanted to defend the same building and got together for a group hug. That worked fine until the spotty teenager saw a zombie and decided to let rip with his whole gang. This was fine by me since it let the pressure off and some of the Zombies stopped chasing me. It wasnt fine by Big Phil who, being a fairly silent chap, let loose a surprising amount of swearwords before adding his gangs firepower to that of spotty teenagers. In the meantime, Iron man and budgie smuggler had been alternating between staying quiet and headshotting zombies whenever they came into view. This all changed when the random roll put around 12 zombies right in front of budgie smugglers position.....

Seeing there were too many for him to cope with, Budgie smuggler immediately ran. Right over to where Ironman had been gloating about his impregnable position. Cue another small bout of swearing as Budgiesmugglers gang piled through the door and forgot to shut it behind them.

by this time my gang had spotted an innocently parked humvee. I know! thinks I. I shall hot wire the humvee and use it to run over zombies. Using my Elite gang member I rolled to hotwire. anything but a 1. I rolled a 1. muttering about shitty american technology my veteran gang member shoved him out of the way and hotwired the humvee. all aboard for funtimes.
    The zombies kept coming, however now the humvee made shortwork of them as it rolled around the town, the crew shooting and making lots of noise and the zombies going squish beneath its wheels.

We all then remembered that the game actually had an objective.

So. Across town I roll while Big Phil and spotty teenager head for the radio shack. I roll up to the generator house just in time to see Zombies appear from all directions. Out get my Elite and Green gang members who manage to unlock the door and get through it. My veteran decided to stay in the humvee and turn it off by pulling the hotwire apart. Not on a roll of 1 you aren't sunshine. The GM started to shout 'beep! beep! beep!' at the top of his voice. That'll be the car alarm then. every zombie on the table headed in my direction. Everyone but me laughed.

In the meantime, Budgie smuggler and Ironman are heading across town about three steps ahead of the zombies who cant decide between munching them and heading in my direction to find out what the noise is. Big Phil and spotty teenager can't get in the radio shack because between them they dont appear to have a gang member who can open a door. Zombies everywhere.

In the Generator house my Elite is pondering over the manual to the generator which appears to be in Slovak. or possibly Czech. Or it might be both. the Green is panicking quietly by the door because he can hear Zombies outside. The veteran is in the Humvee watching zombies climb all over it. At this point the GM politely enquires if I remembered to roll the windows up when my gang got out. argument ensues as to whether or not this particular model of humvee has controls for the rear windows within reach of the driver.
    resolved by dice roll, the GM agrees that the windows are rolled up. I breath a sigh of relief at which point he says 'ah... but what about the sunroof?' dice roll. its open. bugger.

So my veteran reverses into a wall, squashing 2 zombies in the process and then heads off across the town again. Inthe meantime, the Elite gets the generator going and throws the switch. Someones left the lights on. the whole town is lit up. great! better visibility. but it means the zombies can see you too. wonderful. Budgie smuggler and ironman are in the open. Big Phil and spotty teenager get in to the radio shack finally but forget to shut the door and cant get the radio going.

More zombies!

So there we are. Ironman decides that hes carried budgie smuggler enough and piles his gang into a building for safety. My vet in the humvee pulls up beside Budgie Smuggler to save him. He duly piles in and winds the windows down. Big Phil and the spotty teenager discover the importance of closing doors behind you when 3 shuffle in to the radio shack at high speed. In the meantime my green gang member has decided that enough is enough, pulls out the molotov cocktail he had hidden in his pants and gets ready to throw it out of the door. Here comes the technical debate. Its a roller shutter door, however he can pull it up just enough to roll the molotov out into the crowd of zombie legs. but he cant light it. so he resolves to shoot it.

luckily i rolled a 6. So now I've got 2 gang members trapped in the generator house with a crowd of zombies out side who are now on fire. they will burn for 4 turns. so I decide to get my veteran back to help them out. This annoys budgie smuggler who wanted to go and hotwire another humvee for himself which is in the opposite direction. the debate ends when I threaten to turn around and drop him back where I found him (an area now over run by zombies).Instead, Budgiesmuggler opts to try and hotwire the truck we are close to so I drop him off. He forgets to shut one of the back doors as I drive off. Thats fine. I drive past a zombie, hit it and shut the door. This looks cool which everyone likes.

While this is happening, Big Phil and spotty teenager are pouring a veritable hail of lead in the direction of the open door. This doesnt help Big Phil who loses a gang member to a zombie that likes to hug and chew faces off. On the plus side, they did get the radio going, all they need to do is get out now. Not so easy since they cant get the other door open. The zombies chow down on another gang member before they get out.
    Things begin to step up a pace as everyone now heads for the heli pad, except my vet who barges his way through the crowd of zombies outside the generator house and hits the horn to let the other two gang members know he's back. They pull open the door, run out and climb onto the back of the humvee. I'm about to pull away when the GM (with a bloody evil grin) reminds me that I just stopped the humvee in a puddle of burning fuel, that my gang members ran through said fuel and I'm surrounded by burning zombies.
    cue a very large amount of dice rolling. In the end, we resolve that the humvee has caught fire, the Elite got onto the back of the vehicle ok, however the green is also on fire and only just manages to get into the back of the vehicle. theres also a couple of zombies hitching a ride too as the Vet stamps on the accelerator.
    The green loses his grip, lands back in the burning fuel and dies horribly in screaming agony. The Elite, proving what a top guy he is cooly hangs on and blows away one of the zombies, leaving the other one for the moment. Luckily, the humvee isnt burning anywhere really important and so keeps going.

Across town, Budgie Smuggler and Ironman are approaching the Heli pad with victory in their eyes. I sense a dastardly plan forming between the two. Big Phil and Spotty teenager are conducting a wonderful fighting retreat towards the helipad, helping each other out now that they are down to two gang members each. And so the final turn approached with us all converging on the helipad. My elite did it again and chopped that hands off the last zombie hanging on to the humvee so that it fell off. The flames went out, and the humvee lasted just long enough to get within a short sprint of the pad. The rest of the town belongs to the zombies. and there are ALOT of them. All coming for the helipad now.

We all sit back after a damn fun day and wait for the chopper to come in. 'I don't know why you are relaxing' comments the GM, 'Nobody rolled to send the radio message'

Final turn saw Everyone shoot the two remaining members of Spotty Teenagers gang since it was their job to send the radio message. He did protest that it was Big Phil's fault too. However that day, Big Phil provided cake for the game. You don't shoot Big Phil when he provides cake - he makes good cake.

[spoiler:352db8iv][/spoiler:352db8iv]

My Flames of War Soviet Guards Heavy Tank Company, picture taken with a cellphone camera. 10x IS-2's with AA-SMG's and Tankrider SMG Teams, 4x Katyusha Rocket Launcherteams with extra crew and air support consiting of a squadron of IL-2 Sturmoviks - about 2000 points all finished.

Currently plotting a new project - Waffen SS "Das Reich" mechanised panzergrenadiers supported by a pair of Jagdpanthers and 8.8cm AT guns. Will give these guys winter camoflage and snow bases.

on the day that I finish my earthshaker Conversion, I will post it here in this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    Can we get Calmdown to
    no we cannot

Games that I currently play:

Warmachine/Hordes
    Malifaux - if you've never heard of this, check it out at http://www.wyrd-games.net/ VERY AWESOME.
    Flames of War
    Heavy Gear Blitz - Just getting into this (now I can get them in the UK, welp) though been a fan of the setting for years, really superb game
    Battletech
    Signal Close Action - Napoleonic naval actions with models by the always awesome Rod Langton http://www.rodlangton.com/
    Infinity - Brilliant small action sci-fi skirmish game, with beautiful miniatures http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/
    Secrets of the Third Reich - World War 2. With Zombies. And Mechs.

Tbh, I'm totally done with GW games. All of the above are better

jesus christ you actually manage to get a game out of close action? those rules are farking complicated.

also.... langton miniatures.... lolexpensive....

battletech redeems you my child. One day I may post pics of my Falcon Guard Touman.

[spoiler:3kurht99]
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra
    So.

Saturday was an all day gaming session at the club. We played Combat Zone which is a newer version of the old Killzone rules by Ground Zero Games. We possess a motley mix of the old Grenadier figures developed for Killzone and the newer sets sold by IM4 Miniatures.

Terrain was built by Ironman and Budgie Smuggler in 2008/9 to provide us a sci-fi type town/base for various games in 28mm scale.
    One day I might post pics.

So. We've played this a few times now so the rules are straightforward. However we like to mix things up a bit. Sometimes its gangs v gangs, sometimes we throw some para-military/ police/ military etc. I even have some corporate bodyguard types from the old Grenadier range.

This time we decided to go with Zombies. But not the shuffling, braaaiiinnns type. Oh no. Think 28 Days Later type of Zombie. these guys are FAST, they are attracted to noise and they can smell you so being quiet won't help.

Objective: to get the generator going so that we can power up the radio and call for a helicopter to come get us (which might have enough seats to get us all out.... it might not). It is night time. visibility is 20cm.

Theres 5 gangs on the table of 3 figures each. the most advanced weapon is an assault rifle. Everyone else has a mix of shotguns, pistols, swords and clubs.

For my part, the gang set up on a roof with easily defended lines of sight. the mighty High Sierra immediately proved that he cannot be trusted with a tape measure when he started measuring stuff in inches, decided he could see a Zombie and let loose with the shotgun.
    GM stepped in with a barely stifled giggle and reminded me that the measurements were in centimetres, I couldn't see what I was shooting at and I had just advertised my presence to every zombie on the table. great.

everyone else hunkered down a bit more and listened to what would become an epic running battle as I ran away screaming toward the centre of the table. Big Phil and the spotty teenager decided that they wanted to defend the same building and got together for a group hug. That worked fine until the spotty teenager saw a zombie and decided to let rip with his whole gang. This was fine by me since it let the pressure off and some of the Zombies stopped chasing me. It wasnt fine by Big Phil who, being a fairly silent chap, let loose a surprising amount of swearwords before adding his gangs firepower to that of spotty teenagers. In the meantime, Iron man and budgie smuggler had been alternating between staying quiet and headshotting zombies whenever they came into view. This all changed when the random roll put around 12 zombies right in front of budgie smugglers position.....

Seeing there were too many for him to cope with, Budgie smuggler immediately ran. Right over to where Ironman had been gloating about his impregnable position. Cue another small bout of swearing as Budgiesmugglers gang piled through the door and forgot to shut it behind them.

by this time my gang had spotted an innocently parked humvee. I know! thinks I. I shall hot wire the humvee and use it to run over zombies. Using my Elite gang member I rolled to hotwire. anything but a 1. I rolled a 1. muttering about shitty american technology my veteran gang member shoved him out of the way and hotwired the humvee. all aboard for funtimes.
    The zombies kept coming, however now the humvee made shortwork of them as it rolled around the town, the crew shooting and making lots of noise and the zombies going squish beneath its wheels.

We all then remembered that the game actually had an objective.

So. Across town I roll while Big Phil and spotty teenager head for the radio shack. I roll up to the generator house just in time to see Zombies appear from all directions. Out get my Elite and Green gang members who manage to unlock the door and get through it. My veteran decided to stay in the humvee and turn it off by pulling the hotwire apart. Not on a roll of 1 you aren't sunshine. The GM started to shout 'beep! beep! beep!' at the top of his voice. That'll be the car alarm then. every zombie on the table headed in my direction. Everyone but me laughed.

In the meantime, Budgie smuggler and Ironman are heading across town about three steps ahead of the zombies who cant decide between munching them and heading in my direction to find out what the noise is. Big Phil and spotty teenager can't get in the radio shack because between them they dont appear to have a gang member who can open a door. Zombies everywhere.
    In the Generator house my Elite is pondering over the manual to the generator which appears to be in Slovak. or possibly Czech. Or it might be both. the Green is panicking quietly by the door because he can hear Zombies outside. The veteran is in the Humvee watching zombies climb all over it. At this point the GM politely enquires if I remembered to roll the windows up when my gang got out. argument ensues as to whether or not this particular model of humvee has controls for the rear windows within reach of the driver.
    resolved by dice roll, the GM agrees that the windows are rolled up. I breath a sigh of relief at which point he says 'ah... but what about the sunroof?' dice roll. its open. bugger.

So my veteran reverses into a wall, squashing 2 zombies in the process and then heads off across the town again. Inthe meantime, the Elite gets the generator going and throws the switch. Someones left the lights on. the whole town is lit up. great! better visibility. but it means the zombies can see you too. wonderful. Budgie smuggler and ironman are in the open. Big Phil and spotty teenager get in to the radio shack finally but forget to shut the door and cant get the radio going.

More zombies!

So there we are. Ironman decides that hes carried budgie smuggler enough and piles his gang into a building for safety. My vet in the humvee pulls up beside Budgie Smuggler to save him. He duly piles in and winds the windows down. Big Phil and the spotty teenager discover the importance of closing doors behind you when 3 shuffle in to the radio shack at high speed. In the meantime my green gang member has decided that enough is enough, pulls out the molotov cocktail he had hidden in his pants and gets ready to throw it out of the door. Here comes the technical debate. Its a roller shutter door, however he can pull it up just enough to roll the molotov out into the crowd of zombie legs. but he cant light it. so he resolves to shoot it.

luckily i rolled a 6. So now I've got 2 gang members trapped in the generator house with a crowd of zombies out side who are now on fire. they will burn for 4 turns. so I decide to get my veteran back to help them out. This annoys budgie smuggler who wanted to go and hotwire another humvee for himself which is in the opposite direction. the debate ends when I threaten to turn around and drop him back where I found him (an area now over run by zombies).Instead, Budgiesmuggler opts to try and hotwire the truck we are close to so I drop him off. He forgets to shut one of the back doors as I drive off. Thats fine. I drive past a zombie, hit it and shut the door. This looks cool which everyone likes.

While this is happening, Big Phil and spotty teenager are pouring a veritable hail of lead in the direction of the open door. This doesnt help Big Phil who loses a gang member to a zombie that likes to hug and chew faces off. On the plus side, they did get the radio going, all they need to do is get out now. Not so easy since they cant get the other door open. The zombies chow down on another gang member before they get out.
    Things begin to step up a pace as everyone now heads for the heli pad, except my vet who barges his way through the crowd of zombies outside the generator house and hits the horn to let the other two gang members know he's back. They pull open the door, run out and climb onto the back of the humvee. I'm about to pull away when the GM (with a bloody evil grin) reminds me that I just stopped the humvee in a puddle of burning fuel, that my gang members ran through said fuel and I'm surrounded by burning zombies.
    cue a very large amount of dice rolling. In the end, we resolve that the humvee has caught fire, the Elite got onto the back of the vehicle ok, however the green is also on fire and only just manages to get into the back of the vehicle. theres also a couple of zombies hitching a ride too as the Vet stamps on the accelerator.
    The green loses his grip, lands back in the burning fuel and dies horribly in screaming agony. The Elite, proving what a top guy he is cooly hangs on and blows away one of the zombies, leaving the other one for the moment. Luckily, the humvee isnt burning anywhere really important and so keeps going.

Across town, Budgie Smuggler and Ironman are approaching the Heli pad with victory in their eyes. I sense a dastardly plan forming between the two. Big Phil and Spotty teenager are conducting a wonderful fighting retreat towards the helipad, helping each other out now that they are down to two gang members each. And so the final turn approached with us all converging on the helipad. My elite did it again and chopped that hands off the last zombie hanging on to the humvee so that it fell off. The flames went out, and the humvee lasted just long enough to get within a short sprint of the pad. The rest of the town belongs to the zombies. and there are ALOT of them. All coming for the helipad now.

We all sit back after a damn fun day and wait for the chopper to come in. 'I don't know why you are relaxing' comments the GM, 'Nobody rolled to send the radio message'

Final turn saw Everyone shoot the two remaining members of Spotty Teenagers gang since it was their job to send the radio message. He did protest that it was Big Phil's fault too. However that day, Big Phil provided cake for the game. You don't shoot Big Phil when he provides cake - he makes good cake.
    [/spoiler:3kurht99]
    IDK the game but cool story bro, would read again.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I'm doing my best. Well. Not really.

jesus christ you actually manage to get a game out of close action? those rules are farking complicated.

also.... langton miniatures.... lolexpensive....

battletech redeems you my child. One day I may post pics of my Falcon Guard Touman.
    We use the quick play variant of Close action, because yeah...
    We've also being playing the old "Wooden Ships and iron Men" Avalon Hill rules lately as a test, those are ace.
    And yeah, Langton is pricey, but god DAMN those ships are epic.

pics of WIP coming later today (I hope)

This is my club, with SOME of the stuff we play....lots of people, so there tends to be quite a bit of variety:
    http://www.wessexwyverns.org.uk/

haha! close!

http://www.wessexwargamessociety.co.uk/

website is still a work in progress but we're probably the oldest club in the country atm - got started by Don Featherstone back in the '70's

Finally got around to this.

Divers

Still ongoing, they have backpacks to wear plus some come with seperate weapons. I think they are Scheltrum Miniatures.
    Scenery for the game is simple - we are raiding the local aquarium supplier!

crappy camera so some of them are a bit unfocussed which is annoying cos it looks fine on the camera screen.

Re: Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

I'm alone. forever alone.

I thought there were more modelling/painting/wargaming nerds out there?

WHERE ARE YOU? Don't leave me alone in here! I can't survive in General Chat by myself!

I am a massive nerd, and am in fact off for a couple of games of Warmachine any second. Which I shall win, as I am fucking epic at it.
    :modesty:

pretty major gaming nerd, but tend to get my 'none games workshop' fix with boardgames rather than other tabletop miniature games. mainly because it takes me so long just building/painting/collecting 1 army for 1 games system (WH40k) i just cba picking up a 2nd, especially as it's just loads more money and figures that'll never get painted. that's probably why GW has such a strong market share despite the rules systems beign a bit 'meh' and the models often being a bit too cartoony for many adult gamers tastes (myself included for a lot of stuff). people will first get into the game with the most potential opponents, and then after that many people just don't have the time/resources to spread out into other systems even though they'd be interested.

this is also why boardgames are awesome, the investment needed is comparitively minimal, as is the time investment.... but a good game will get played every bit as much as a tabletop game you've invested hundreds of hours into. hell, our group plays 'settlers of catan' every bit as much as 40k for the last few months...

you have many valid points sir.

played carcasonne?

I intended this thread to be for mainly non40K stuff except pics of models and conversions really

[youtube:14p92myw]dxx6BupgRmI[/youtube:14p92myw]

thank you for that helpful and constructive post.

Warmachine was awesome, and I did win
    Practice for a few tournaments that are coming up....it's the only game I play "competitively", and I absolutely love it.