hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 317 of 319 FirstFirst ... 217267307314315316317318319 LastLast
Results 6,321 to 6,340 of 6378

Thread: Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Yea now that the new necron warriors got announced I'm going to sell my remaining sprues and keep the models I cut out for testing paint schemes. If anyone wants to buy them you get first dibs before I put it up on eBay.

Last edited by Spaztick; May 24 2020 at 12:49:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Yea now that the new necron warriors got announced I'm going to sell my remaining sprues and keep the models I cut out for testing paint schemes. If anyone wants to buy them you get first dibs before I put it up on eBay.
    yeah the necron warriors were pretty stupid looking anyway with that green tube

Though I'm surprised they went with necron warriors tbh. They've got to refresh the IG, eldar, and orks troops someday. Those things are all 20 years old now

Those necrons in the trailer were killed WAY to easily. By mere humans none the less. I don't think I've ever lost a necron to a human wielding a non-power CC weapon like that.

I miss the old stuff where humans were always depicted as desperately fighting a losing fight. All the old boxes showed the unit in a "the last stand" scene. It was propper grimdark.

/old and bitter appearently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    Those necrons in the trailer were killed WAY to easily. By mere humans none the less. I don't think I've ever lost a necron to a human wielding a non-power CC weapon like that.

I miss the old stuff where humans were always depicted as desperately fighting a losing fight. All the old boxes showed the unit in a "the last stand" scene. It was propper grimdark.

Timmy needs to see the Imperium mowing down xenos

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

Major Necrons and SoB update:

Spot on.

Considering the armies I have for 40K are Necrons, SOB and Imperial Guards, wana bet it's gona be IG next?

or wait, didn't they do them already and managed to fuck them up somehow? With a namechange, spacemarine-lite, lots of big ugly plastic toy units and stuff?

edit:
    just went to GW's website to have a look at the new SoBs as I haven't bothered since forever.
    I thought they were gona release plastic figures in big unit boxes to make them more viable to collect? That's what SoB players have been asking for since forever, as you need almost the same unit count as IGs to make them viable. But with that pricetag it can only be mroe metal figures... right? Or are they asking metal-figure prices for plastics nowadays?
    And what ever happened to the veils that were mentioned in all those old leaks years back where the new SoB designs were talked about? These look just like the old ones but with more dynamic poses.
    Cool that the retributor squads now come as a set instead of having to buy them individually. Not cool that they cost as much as it used to do to buy them individually.

damn. I remember buying rhinos for 150 SEk at my local hobby shop. That's ONE rhino for 420 sek now. o_o

edit2: lol. sentinels for 240 SEK a piece. I bought mine for 75 SEk. The exact damn model years ago. What are they smoking? and how are they getting away with it? Or is the hobby dead?
    Last edited by Ashaz; May 26 2020 at 07:50:45 PM.

"but our costs have increased" and people will pay it.

Spot on.

Considering the armies I have for 40K are Necrons, SOB and Imperial Guards, wana bet it's gona be IG next?

or wait, didn't they do them already and managed to fuck them up somehow? With a namechange, spacemarine-lite, lots of big ugly plastic toy units and stuff?

edit:
    just went to GW's website to have a look at the new SoBs as I haven't bothered since forever.
    I thought they were gona release plastic figures in big unit boxes to make them more viable to collect? That's what SoB players have been asking for since forever, as you need almost the same unit count as IGs to make them viable. But with that pricetag it can only be mroe metal figures... right? Or are they asking metal-figure prices for plastics nowadays?
    And what ever happened to the veils that were mentioned in all those old leaks years back where the new SoB designs were talked about? These look just like the old ones but with more dynamic poses.
    Cool that the retributor squads now come as a set instead of having to buy them individually. Not cool that they cost as much as it used to do to buy them individually.

damn. I remember buying rhinos for 150 SEk at my local hobby shop. That's ONE rhino for 420 sek now. o_o

edit2: lol. sentinels for 240 SEK a piece. I bought mine for 75 SEk. The exact damn model years ago. What are they smoking? and how are they getting away with it? Or is the hobby dead?
    Under what rock have you been living the past decade?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Spot on.

edit:

Under what rock have you been living the past decade?

Tapapapatalk
    Just been bussy with other stuff than warhammer. I've moved all over the country 4 times in the last 7 years so the minis have all been sitting in a box in the basement and lost all my gaming buddies that i used to have.

Yea don't ever order off the GW web store. "Retail" price is about 20% markup of what you should be getting from a LGS or Amazon. Pure sales tactics and GWs continued tradition of resenting their customers.

More plastic crack has arrived. The pile of shame has started.
    Last edited by Spaztick; September 1 2020 at 05:21:57 PM.

This week on Resin Casting in your Food Prep Space, Spaz manages a working silicone mold.

Spoiler:

Only 1 success out of half a dozen, but I've learned a lot and am passing on my hard-earned knowledge to you as an addendum to the usual recasting knowledge:

• Cast the smallest object you can. I tried casting a whole sprues worth of scarabs (4 total) and I only had 1 out of 4 cast properly. I'm sure with better mold setup and channels cut I could get better casts, but on the sprue you don't have the pressure to squeeze the resin in the small plastic channels and push the air out. Even the professional recasters in commieland don't use the plastic sprues.
    • Do not use the cheap "white" silicone with any additives or anything else. The silicone will not cure properly and you will struggle to get your molds to harden. It will be a permanent messy glob. Putting glycerin in it doesn't help. Use clear silicone. I haven't tested out glycerin mix but it has cured just fine where the white silicone has failed.
    • Make the tops and bottoms of your molds flat. This will let you squeeze them together and not get excessive flashing when you cast.
    • If your resin cures with heat as a catalyst you will have to put your molds into the oven. It can mean you get more time to get bubbles out of small casts where it can't heat up properly, but trying to manipulate small molds into releasing bubbles without a pressure setup is difficult.

Spoiler:

Success so far. A completed scarab and a half scarab that can be used for basing or decoration. The black dots are clay that got baked into the resin, and won't be there in future casts.

Spoiler:

Bonus painted Western Legend minis. Board game miniatures are great for practicing on and look great themselves when painted. I'll be working with blue stuff and epoxy putty in the coming weeks. It should be great results and much easier to work with, especially with what I've got coming up...

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-...ank-66839.html

Something like makes a good pressure vessel for casting. Just saying.

ugh gross the old Start Collecting! Skitarii appears to have been depreciated since I last looked and now it has the lame hover box instead of an Onager and a Tech-Priest instead of a Dominus

fuckin' lame, I was actually going to pull the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    ugh gross the old Start Collecting! Skitarii appears to have been depreciated since I last looked and now it has the lame hover box instead of an Onager and a Tech-Priest instead of a Dominus

If you want to go halfsies on a forgebane box I could really use the necrons in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post

If you want to go halfsies on a forgebane box I could really use the necrons in it.
    ~ sending you a DM

ForgeBae is here:

Spoiler:

Not shown: my skellybois out of frame, but it's all there. Half tempted to play a remote mission with them in the future. Maybe through TTS or playing via images or video a la chess by mail.

SPAZTICK'S SHADY SHADING (how to make your own Nuln Oil but cheaper and way worse quality) (GONE SEXUAL)

GW shades are a really good product and reasonably priced when you compare them to Tesla stock or cosmetic surgery. Sure it's not necessary to spend that kind of money on what's essentially eye candy, but often well worth it and you get what you pay for1. But like the coat hanger abortions I perform on illegal migrants coming across the border into my town2, often you can do the same job yourself without the price premium of a pro.

First off my recipe: I didn't have a set recipe but was mixing until I got as close as I could to Nuln Oil. I mixed up a wash to what I think would be close in appearance and consistency to GW and test it, then adjust the formula to make it closer, then repeat until I have a satisfactory product. It turns out there's a little more to making washes than mixing shit together and hoping it works.

I started with Liquitex matte acrylic medium and mixed in Vallejo black game color paint for my pigmentation and some distilled water.

Spoiler:

Although it's hard to see in images from a phone camera there are subtle differences. The first one is GW Nuln Oil, the second is my first go at washes. My wash mix is milky and cloudy compared to the Nuln Oil which was opaque and slightly glossy. My mixture also separates quite readily as the medium settles on top and the pigment sinks. This doesn't affect the final product when applied but does suggest there's something in the mixture I don't have. Maybe it's only marketing so and people feel better when it's a nice clear mixture even when sitting for a while instead of something cloudy. We'll see in testing that it doesn't matter much (or so I thought):

Spoiler:

The washes over some Zombicide miniatures primed in Corax White. GW wash is on the left, mine on the right. Mine had a decent pigmentation but was splotchy on the transitions between deep recesses and highlighted areas and didn't look as smooth as GWs. I needed to adjust my formula.

Spoiler:

Left to right: my 2nd attempt where I added two drops of Vallejo airbrush thinner as a surfactant to help smooth the paint and make it spread out more, a 3rd attempt with more surfactant added, and the last is an experimental mix of Liquitex matte varnish instead of acrylic medium and even more surfactant. The varnish actually looks really great for increasing shadow depth without tinting the surface color too much, but dried on me overnight when I left it in the cup even though it was airtight. I'm not sure if it cured because it was exposed to enough air and there wasn't enough mixture inside to keep it soluble, but my initial take is varnish washes should be mixed and used right away else you will risk wasting it.

Spoiler:

I am happiest with the 4th attempt the most where I added a tiny amount of dish soap as more surfactant. It matched the closest to what I wanted on these Western Legends minis although it was darker than GWs. This is a pigmentation issue and is solvable by using less paint/ink. I think a little more surfactant or water should be added as well to keep the wash from pooling as much. One thing at a time, and Iíll have a proper duplicate wash soon enough.

There are loads of Youtube videos out there that show good approximations to GWs wash that Iíll work on next, notably Midwinter Mini and Lukes Aps videos on making a huge batch of Nuln Oil for dip washing. I followed more or less Lukes method first, but Iíll do MWMís next.

As a bonus here is my own video of showing the behaviors of Nuln Oil when itís been sitting in the bottle overnight. Notice the slight amount of pigment that settled on the bottom and the bubbles when I shake it up and how quickly they disperse. I think this is a good indicator of how close I get to Nuln Oilís formula:

Spoiler:

Agrax Earthshade and Reikland Fleshshade behave similarly, but the pigment suspends better in Reikland than the other two; Agrax was the worst for suspension.

1*Seriously I spent $20 on 3 bottles, this shit better be good.
    2involuntary

I appreciate the effort, but the GW washes are probably the best product they got. The big ones last a long time barring any spills (lol)