hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 321 of 321 FirstFirst ... 221271311318319320321
Results 6,401 to 6,417 of 6417

Thread: Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Found some free time to paint, then discovered that all the fire on a fire elemental makes it a test of endurance to paint the whole thing. Still deciding on colors for the shoulders.

Spoiler:
    Black with red hot lava glowing in the cracks/lines?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Need to figure out a setup for better pictures, too.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foldable-Ph...dp/B01JM68TFA/
    nevar forget

Got one of those, actually. It's... ok-ish. I used it to take most of these. Still sometimes tough to get the camera to focus on the mini rather than my hand, blaming that on the camera. Should have taken the time to grab the DSLR rather than using mediocre phone camera.

Large-ish image warning. Makes everything look worse, not sure if there's a good way to fix it.

The layer/voxel lines are a little more obvious on the tiefling. Will have to see what I can do about that next time.
    Pretty much every model goes through the same initial process: print, clean up, cure, then prime in black and zenithal highlight with white. Only exceptions are things that will be primarily bright colors, in which case I'll prime in white.

Spoiler:

One of my favorite things about 3D printing: If I like a model a lot, I can make it bigger and paint it better.

Spoiler:

These were experiments in airbrushing, getting some nice smooth blends and transitions without much work at all.

Of course, yellow looks like crap when painted over anything but bright white, so the genie that's supposed to be yellow and blue is instead some ugly green, but whatevs. Still a good example of how easy it is to get a need effect by spraying one color from above and another from below.

Spoiler:

Airbrushed this one, then did some blacklining to try to make the panels pop. Should have used a smaller brush for the lines.

Spoiler:

Edit: Update on flamey dude:teal runes and poor NMM

Spoiler:

Last edited by Steckersaurus; July 11 2021 at 05:51:32 PM.
    Quarantined and loving life.

My parent's will be moving out of the family home at some point over the next year and are clearing out the attic. They've come across a load of my warhammer in a couple of boxes. I've got a load of 40k orks, high elves (including a dragon riding dude), some orcs and goblins, some space marines, maybe some dwarves. Would anyone be interested in taking some off my hands? I'll be going to theirs to help sort stuff at some point over the next couple of weeks and will get some pictures of it all then.

Kind of looking forward to having the nostalgia hammer hit me square in the face when I look through it all. Going to be some terrible painting from 13 year old keckers to be displayed too
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Black Friday deal:
    The Hero Forge #BlackFriday #sale is in full force! Enjoy $5 off any of our physical 3D printed #miniatures with the code: EpicLoot. #STL and #VTT digital downloads are also on sale with no code needed for $3.99. Make haste and design to your heart's content!
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

On a similar note Versatile Terrain are also having a 25% off sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    My parent's will be moving out of the family home at some point over the next year and are clearing out the attic. They've come across a load of my warhammer in a couple of boxes. I've got a load of 40k orks, high elves (including a dragon riding dude), some orcs and goblins, some space marines, maybe some dwarves. Would anyone be interested in taking some off my hands? I'll be going to theirs to help sort stuff at some point over the next couple of weeks and will get some pictures of it all then.

Kind of looking forward to having the nostalgia hammer hit me square in the face when I look through it all. Going to be some terrible painting from 13 year old keckers to be displayed too
    If any of them would fit in with a D&D campaign, I might be interested. No interest in 40K.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Made some more characters, going to order these in the coming days. Please let me know if the pose/colors/etc. are good or bad.

Spoiler:

Reference photo:

Commando refers to a rogue/fighter build.
    Last edited by Nordstern; November 25 2021 at 07:04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Made some more characters, going to order these in the coming days. Please let me know if the pose/colors/etc. are good or bad.

Spoiler:

Reference photo:

Commando refers to a rogue/fighter build.
    Are you planning on getting them printed in color? Or just getting a normal print that you can paint?

They look fine to my eye. I'm really impressed with the color printing technology, a little less impressed with the results. Or rather, I think the results look fantastic for an unpainted 3d print, but I think you can get better results from painting without too much effort. But that's me, and I've been painting minis since... shit when did I first get into warhammer, the late 90s? So it's been more than 20 years.

The other thing I'd suggest is checking out TitanCraft, a heroforge competitor. I think their system for customizing poses is a little easier to use, so if you want to get away from the default posing, it's easier. And downloading the stls is free, if you're planning to print it yourself or have a friend print it for you.

Didn't he also admit to playing EVE at one point?

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    lol the fucking nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Wouldn't be surprised if lurked on SHC or here.

I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Figures arrived yesterday. US quarter for scale.

They were slightly smaller than I expected, but I'm not familiar with miniatures of this scale, so I'm not that surprised. These were printed at a 50-micron/layer resolution, so you can see the layers fairly easily. They did a pretty good job cleaning up the supports. However, I did find an uncut support on the middle figure's hand and under the boot. There were also support sprues on the male figure's base that the other two didn't have, possibly due to the texture of the base. The plastic is flexible, but surprisingly very sturdy. I tried to press my fingernail into the base rim, but it resisted being damaged, so it's not soft at all. This is definitely durable plastic, and should hold up well in tabletop use. I won't paint these since I don't have the materials, experience, or finesse to do so.

Overall, I'm pleased, despite it costing $25 for each figure and taking almost a month to arrive. In the future, I will probably buy the STL files and find someone with a 25-micron or better resolution printer, then make some more. I might even scale some up to 4-6" and paint those.

Figures arrived yesterday. US quarter for scale.
      Spoiler:

They were slightly smaller than I expected, but I'm not familiar with miniatures of this scale, so I'm not that surprised. These were printed at a 50-micron/layer resolution, so you can see the layers fairly easily. They did a pretty good job cleaning up the supports. However, I did find an uncut support on the middle figure's hand and under the boot. There were also support sprues on the male figure's base that the other two didn't have, possibly due to the texture of the base. The plastic is flexible, but surprisingly very sturdy. I tried to press my fingernail into the base rim, but it resisted being damaged, so it's not soft at all. This is definitely durable plastic, and should hold up well in tabletop use. I won't paint these since I don't have the materials, experience, or finesse to do so.

Overall, I'm pleased, despite it costing $25 for each figure and taking almost a month to arrive. In the future, I will probably buy the STL files and find someone with a 25-micron or better resolution printer, then make some more. I might even scale some up to 4-6" and paint those.
    That all sounded pretty good until the $25/each cost. That's halfway to buying a printer yourself, the less expensive models were down around $150 for black friday. $30 gets you a liter or resin that will easily print a hundred or more minis that size. On the other hand, cheap resin is a lot more brittle than what you're describing, sounds like it's made from some good stuff. But even inexpensive printers can get down under 50 micron layer heights. I tend to run my at 30 these days which gives me a decent balance between smoother prints and increased time. Going down to 10 microns just takes foreeeevvveerrr without giving enough benefit to be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    https://twitter.com/ccp_aurora/statu...19184436596738

yep

Overall, I'm pleased, despite it costing $25 for each figure and taking almost a month to arrive.