hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 302 of 302 FirstFirst ... 202252292299300301302
Results 6,021 to 6,033 of 6033

Thread: Wargaming/Painting/Modelling

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    @Sarabando: I assume that's from a game you played. How did it go? How are you liking 8th edition?

GW dropped a little article on what will be in the first chapter approved.

Custom Land Raiders.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-3/

Tapapapatalk
    nope no game just a llittle photo when taking a break from painting

Ah, looks good.

Today I assembled and painted the 1:700 Australian WWII destroyer I got for Secret Santa two years ago, but it looks really bad.

Made me reconsider my choice of Legion for Wh40k, Alpha Legion.
    I mean I could paint them any color I want but the metallic blue just looks awesome.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Ah, looks good.

Today I assembled and painted the 1:700 Australian WWII destroyer I got for Secret Santa two years ago, but it looks really bad.

I mean I could paint them any color I want but the metallic blue just looks awesome.

Tapapapatalk
    :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Ah, looks good.

Tapapapatalk
    :'(
    Hey, it's been my first model in twenty years and one stroke that gave me a slight tremor.

For that it isn't half bad tbh.

Also I assembled first painted later, big mistake for models of that size.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Oh. Sorry. I thought you were saying that the model itself was bad not the painting. Bad sculpts of something that's supposed to look cool is something to be sad about. So it was intended as commiserations

I never negatively comment on people's painting: mine is arse, and I'm perfectly healthy so have zero excuses

Spoiler:
    Also, look up that ship's history. Australia's V-class Destroyers did some spectacular things given how out of date they were
    Last edited by Kai; November 19 2017 at 02:10:51 AM.

The sculpt wasn't too bad, could have done with more careful filing. I also managed to have the range finder fly somewhere while clipping it off he sprue never to be seen again.
    Painting wasn't made easier by the 1:700 scale.

But it was nice doing it.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Here a picture of the destroyer.

Right off the bat, I have no idea whether the holes aft of the torpedoes in the hull are casting issues or supposed to show something else. I'd guess they are a casting issue.
    Also I found the missing range finder but couldn't fix the snapped main mast (I broke it while still in the sprue...)

A few things I learned:

1:700 is fucking tiny, even on ships. Some stuff is just too small and fiddly. The boats on the davits were OK, but just barely.

Decals. I remember them being less temperamental than the ones included. Destroyed both bow ship numbers and basically stopped after that (one number at the back and a black ring on the front smokestack, the latter being almost easier to paint IMHO). I blame the size more than my ineptitude.

Painting needs to be done in subassemblies, at least for some parts. I guess for Wh40k marines I'd most likely do the guns separately, maybe the backpacks as well. Though back in the day I didn't do that, but probably better now.

And I need a base or something to hold a model while painting.

A personal thing: I see better small stuff up close without the glasses. The second I drop something I need them again.

That said, it was nice, it's growing on me as well. Also unless I'm mistaken, even the smallest bits on a 28mm model will be bigger than those masts.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

When I remember to paint models I use the lid of a deodorant spray can with a chunk of blue/white tac on top to hold the model. The lid fits about right in my hand and gives me a lot more control than I ever had when I held onto the model itself.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    When I remember to paint models I use the lid of a deodorant spray can with a chunk of blue/white tac on top to hold the model. The lid fits about right in my hand and gives me a lot more control than I ever had when I held onto the model itself.
    Yeh, I thought about it for a second then realized that I didn't have anything to attach it with or to (no cans around) and I also have no blue-tack or similar (it's not very common here)
    nevar forget

I personally like using a wine bottle Cork with some blue tac for smaller stuff. Cork is a nice material to grip and you can easily hold and twist it between your thumb, index and middle finger.

I'd like to get into Warhammer 40k, always liked the lore, and the vidya, and got some free time for a hobby and an okay income now.

But fuck regional pricing. Australia gets fucking dicked (surprise, surprise).

So I guess my question is, if I find a decent price on second hand, how easy are the paints to remove to start painting from scratch, or should I just not bother?
    Putin 2012

It's a bit of work but not too bad.

Metal models is a lot easier(acetone bath dissolves pretty much everything, but it'll melt plastics. Use simple green or similar for plastics) then take an old tooth/dishbrush and scrub away the old paint that has turned into goop.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgus View Post
    I'd like to get into Warhammer 40k, always liked the lore, and the vidya, and got some free time for a hobby and an okay income now.

But fuck regional pricing. Australia gets fucking dicked (surprise, surprise).

So I guess my question is, if I find a decent price on second hand, how easy are the paints to remove to start painting from scratch, or should I just not bother?
    firstly buy from a 3rd party retailer thats usually 25% off right away. Also look on facebook for people splitting boxed games you can pick up half of the current started for £35 in the uk so thats about AUS$15,000,000 rite?