hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 970 of 1004 FirstFirst ... 470870920960967968969970971972973980 ... LastLast
Results 19,381 to 19,400 of 20068

Thread: Jihadist Caliphate LLC. Extremist Thunderdome's everywhere.

  1. #19381
    evil edna's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,386
    Israel doesnt take any shit

  2. #19382
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,392
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    You keep talking as if Iran doesn't probably have nukes of it's own or isn't backed by Russia by the same extent Israel is by Murica.
    There was a lot of support potentially available to both sides during the Cold War, but for :reasons: it has arguably waned since then.

    At the same time, the state of play between Israel & Iran is not entirely unlike that broader historical conflict. Recall the 1960 U-2 incident when the United States U-2 spy plane was shot down while in Soviet airspace. That flight originated from a U.S. base in a 3rd party country that was (relatively) proximate to the Soviet Union.

    There difference here of course is that Israel went further, also launching an attack against the point of origin. Circumstances are different though, since they're in de-facto armed conflict with the proximate neighbor, Syria. Retaliating against the launch site was as much a warning not to permit such a carry-on as much as it is to dissuade Iran from acting out such a carry-on. So what advantage did Iran seek at risk of provoking these responses? What did they hope to gain by sending a drone aircraft to violate Israeli airspace?

    It could have been intelligence, but one expects that if they wanted racy photos of Israeli military targets, they could probably beg them from their supposed backer ...

    My interpretation of events is that Iran deliberately provoked the retaliation in order to reinforce national unity against an external enemy at home. The regime is a little shaky right now and it's a gambit to wag the dog. Syria would go along with it for pretty much the exact same reasons, because everybody loves to hate Israel.

  3. #19383
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Recall the 1960 U-2 incident when the United States U-2 spy plane was shot down while in Soviet airspace.

    My interpretation of events is that Iran deliberately provoked the retaliation in order to reinforce national unity against an external enemy at home. The regime is a little shaky right now and it's a gambit to wag the dog. Syria would go along with it for pretty much the exact same reasons, because everybody loves to hate Israel.
    really makes you think

  4. #19384
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,392
    okay.jpg

  5. #19385
    pesadelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    You keep talking as if Iran doesn't probably have nukes of it's own or isn't backed by Russia by the same extent Israel is by Murica.
    There was a lot of support potentially available to both sides during the Cold War, but for :reasons: it has arguably waned since then.

    At the same time, the state of play between Israel & Iran is not entirely unlike that broader historical conflict. Recall the 1960 U-2 incident when the United States U-2 spy plane was shot down while in Soviet airspace. That flight originated from a U.S. base in a 3rd party country that was (relatively) proximate to the Soviet Union.

    There difference here of course is that Israel went further, also launching an attack against the point of origin. Circumstances are different though, since they're in de-facto armed conflict with the proximate neighbor, Syria. Retaliating against the launch site was as much a warning not to permit such a carry-on as much as it is to dissuade Iran from acting out such a carry-on. So what advantage did Iran seek at risk of provoking these responses? What did they hope to gain by sending a drone aircraft to violate Israeli airspace?

    It could have been intelligence, but one expects that if they wanted racy photos of Israeli military targets, they could probably beg them from their supposed backer ...

    My interpretation of events is that Iran deliberately provoked the retaliation in order to reinforce national unity against an external enemy at home. The regime is a little shaky right now and it's a gambit to wag the dog. Syria would go along with it for pretty much the exact same reasons, because everybody loves to hate Israel.
    Good post mate .

    Enviado do meu SM-G900F através do Tapatalk

  6. #19386
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,788
    Israel got a bloody nose fighting Hezbollah in 2006. After their ground invasion failed against well dug in Hezbollah forces they resorted to bombing the crap out of Hezbollah controlled areas of Lebanon.

    This means that they want to send Assad a warning not to allow Hezbollah or any other Iranian Proxy set up camp in Syria.

    This is also behind the relationship of convenience between Saudi Arabia and Israel: the threat of Iran.

  7. #19387
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    There's also the fact that Iran can't keep up in the game of oneupmanship, should either side continue to escalate this.
    You keep talking as if Iran doesn't probably have nukes of it's own or isn't backed by Russia by the same extent Israel is by Murica.

    This shit can go hilariously far.
    hahahah
    HAHAHAHAHA

  8. #19388
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    15,883
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  9. #19389
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    Wonder what's gonna happen when china introduces petroyuan in march.

  10. #19390
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    13,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because first the British and later the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    FYP
    nevar forget

  11. #19391
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    10,066
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    Wonder what's gonna happen when china introduces petroyuan in march.
    Because the rest of the world will trust an already centrally manipulated currency.
    meh

  12. #19392
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,962
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    Wonder what's gonna happen when china introduces petroyuan in march.
    Because the rest of the world will trust an already centrally manipulated currency.
    The rest of the world being the entirety of asia.

  13. #19393
    jimmychrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31, 2011
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    If corporate profits is the price we pay for an Iran without nukes I'm fine with that

  14. #19394
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,962
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    If corporate profits is the price we pay for an Iran without nukes I'm fine with that
    Any industrial nation willing to have actual measure of independence is going to work towards nukes.

  15. #19395
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,770
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    If corporate profits is the price we pay for an Iran without nukes I'm fine with that
    Any industrial nation willing to have actual measure of independence is going to work towards nukes.
    Nah. Your head is stuck in the Russosphere. That's not at all true. What you need is allies (who respect you and aren't pointing a gun at you).

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

  16. #19396
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    3,125
    I see Razor finally caved and got a job at one of Putins propaganda-mills

  17. #19397
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    13,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    If corporate profits is the price we pay for an Iran without nukes I'm fine with that
    Any industrial nation willing to have actual measure of independence is going to work towards nukes.
    Nah. Your head is stuck in the Russosphere. That's not at all true. What you need is allies (who respect you and aren't pointing a gun at you).
    It's absolutely fucking true. Any government is going to compare outcomes with eg: Iraq, Ukraine (did in fact give up WMDs) and eg: Israel, Iran and North Korea and realise that owning nukes means that Russia, China and the US will, at minimum, treat you with a measure of forbearance rather one of them than rocking up on saturday night with a a few of their mates and having just a grand old time with your tender, pink orifices and national borders. Would China be pulling the bullshit they're getting away with regarding those artifical islands if Malaysia and the Philipines had nukes? I bet they'd be treading a lot more carefully, and you can bet that the regimes involved are deeply aware of that.

    Non-proliferation might not be dead yet, but it's gutshot and praying for the medics to arrive real soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  18. #19398
    jimmychrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31, 2011
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    If corporate profits is the price we pay for an Iran without nukes I'm fine with that
    Any industrial nation willing to have actual measure of independence is going to work towards nukes.
    Sure. And this particular industrial nation should not be allowed to.

  19. #19399
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    It's absolutely fucking true.
    Does this mean you think there are only 8 countries on the planet with an actual measure of independence?

    Of course countries that are in the sights of major power struggles are going to need nukes to ensure complete sovereignty. You're taking that one step further and saying everyone who wants to be independent needs it. My point is that that's not true. Lots of countries feel independent because their interests are aligned with the status quo. If those alliances break down to the point that they're pointing guns at each other, then sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Would China be pulling the bullshit they're getting away with regarding those artifical islands if Malaysia and the Philipines had nukes?
    Yeah I can see those countries wanting to get nukes for defense from an invasion, but I'm not sure it would stop China pushing the envelope in the south china sea. I don't think anyone's crazy enough to use one over control of water.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

  20. #19400
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,962
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that Iran is only a problem because the Americans shit themselves at the idea of nationalised Iranian oil cutting off corporate profits
    If corporate profits is the price we pay for an Iran without nukes I'm fine with that
    Any industrial nation willing to have actual measure of independence is going to work towards nukes.
    Sure. And this particular industrial nation should not be allowed to.
    Now you are talking in my, imperially chauvinistic, language.
    Last edited by RazoR; February 11 2018 at 10:08:28 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •